Dine and Crash (IC)

Aoiroo

Yes, the Interceptors do do fine work!

"'The Next Big Thing,' whatever it may be," Archeville commented, "is something for which heroes and futurists both try to predict and prepare. But, my philosophy in life has always been to include some time to enjoy the quiet lulls between 'Events' while they last. All work and no play Viktor a cranky boy," he chuckled.

It is all about balance!

Too bad no one at the table knew just how close 'the Next Big Thing' really was.

"Ah, the curried chicken is wonderful," he nodded, "but I think I will go with the pork vindaloo. And a nice lager to wash it down," he said as he scanned the beer list. "So, this 'Crusader' -- what is his story? The name sounds familiar."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carrie smiled even though she was tempted to point out that it wasn't just the Crusaders that were rioting, and that there was in fact a spirit of discord as he called himself stirring things up,

"The next big thing, you sort of make it sound like a passing fad. Though I guess it's somewhat similiar, though it's not usually a good thing."

She placed an elbow on the table and leaned into it a bit,

"Anyway, it's not just one Crusader, it's the Crusaders, they're essentually a gang. A gang of racist White Knight fanboys who just about every other gang in Freedom hates, along with well, just about everyone else. Though after that last rally, most of them have either been hospitalized or arrested for agitated assult. Not that it helps, though none of them died they still try to make themselves out as martyrs for their cause, which for some reason still attracts people to this gang. Which, okay, I get that people can believe whatever they want, it's their choice after all, but being in a gang like them is like putting a giant target on your back. I mean, as much as a lot of Freedom City citizens would love to clock White Knight, his fanboys can't be any less appealing as a target."

"Some groups feed on being disenfranchised. If they actually had some power or prestige, I wouldn't worry about them putting their odious polices into action. I'd be more worried about them self destructing from power struggles and internal strife." At the mention of beer, Fulcrum flipped over the beer list as well.

"I've seen it more than once over the years. Growing up in the West End, a gang known as the Locos popped up in I was eleven or twelve. At the time, the neighborhood didn't have many Hispanic families, so all the kids of a certain age banded together 'for mutual protection' or some reason." The list must have been disappointing, judging from the downcast look, and she flipped over to the wine list. "They didn't really make a lot of trouble, but all hell broke loose when they found some legitimacy with some MS 13 wannabes. They went bananas. The half that decided to stay in school are some of our best business and civic leaders today." The inferred fate of the remaining kids was left to the imagination.

"You should ask Jack-of-All-Blades about it. Prepare for rants and eye rolling."

Still perusing the beverage list, she added, "White Knight is a... strange, strange man. I just can't put my finger on what exactly seems off about him. Beyond the White Power/pseudo-Neo Nazi imagery."

Mona of course knew Archeville had talked to Jack of all Blades, many times, particularly about improvements to the schools in the West End. It was a matter of public record that Archeville (and ArcheTech) made generous donations to numerous schools and universities, but very few knew he was the secret founder of the Interceptors, and so had a direct line to the super-swashbuckler. "I will see if I can talk with Jack of all Blades; he seems the type that would be difficult to get to sit down for any length of time. Perhaps knowing of my donations would help that... and," he placed a hand gently over Mona's, and smiled up at her, "if you put in a good word for me..."

Mmmmm....

Thanks to his super-fast mental processes, he could spend a whole minute lovingly gazing up at her before a second had passed for Carrie, and he took advantage of this. As far as she could tell, as soon as he put his hand on Mona's, he turned back to his menu and snorted derisively. "Yes, I have faced that jackbooted pyro before," Archeville recalled, and sighed. "Did not realize he had his own fanclub, though. Unfortunately, I have faced far too many people like him, and seen that prejudices like his are still far too common."

Why can we not all get along? We are all the same color inside! All came from the same ancestors!

Soon the server returned, asking for drink and appetizer orders.

Carrie ended up ordering the stuffed mushrooms and her usual coke. She was tempted to look at the wine list, but she was driving home and really didn't want to either have to leave it over night or have anybody else drive it as it both still had bloodstains in the back seat and her costume in the glove compartment. Also, she didn't want to spend much excess on the meal if she didn't have too, it was expensive enough already and she was fairly certian she wouldn't be picking up any of the tab considering the pricing, heck she doubted she'd be able to cover the tip. Still she was enjoying herself fairly well, Mona was her every gracious self, and Viktor was a very charming in his intelligence rather than someone who seemed a bit out of touch with everyone else. She hadn't managed to say anything wrong, though maybe it was just because of very nice Mona was, but looking she had to smile as they interacted, almost polar opposites yet they fit together so perfectly regardless. All in all, it seemed that it was going to be a good time all around.

GM

It was going to be a bad time all around, he knew it. Being stuck with this project had left James Renolds a bit calloused to the whole thing. It was supposed to be some big military deal, but really it just looked like a bunch of scientists shooting in the dark. The so called weapon was hardly something to be admired, it was supposed to be mostly finished, but it looked a horror with wires hanging out and the plating didn't seem to fit well with the parts either. The engineer spent most of his time just tucking in the hanging circuits and wires the scientists had neglected when they were trying to install some strange tracking system into the robot. It was a wonder the thing didn't just fall apart on him, still he hunkered down, and for the last two hours was managing to get the robot into a presentable shape. After spending maybe thirty minutes welding down the panels around the rockets it would be using for flight(if it could even get off the ground in it's condition), he developed a quite a sweat even in the cool military basement and decided to take his break. Turning off the blowtorch and setting down he headed off to the vending machines to grab a cola. In the lights of the warehouse, the alphadroid stayed quiet and unassuming right up to the point where the power began to surge.

• 3 weeks later...

After smiling to Viktor, Mona went about finding a proper meal without moving her covered hand. Eventually, she settled on the sirloin and a nice accompanying beer. No wonder Viktor loved her! The woman knew what she liked.

Mona, a bit quiet this evening, focused on enjoying her very rare steak. About half way through the meal, she picked up the conversation again. "Do you have any plans for this evening, Carrie?" she asked after a sip of beer.

Truth be told, Mona rather enjoyed the time out. Restaurant meals came relatively rarely to her anymore. She blamed Viktor in only the best possible way. Nonetheless, her body language straight away indicated she enjoyed both Carrie's and Viktor's company as well as the meal. The habitual smile to her boyfriend certainly said volumes.

Carrie had become one of her closer friends. Despite the public persona, Mona tended to keep a small, close-knit group of friends and acquaintances. Hopefully, the skillful young woman understood Mona's affections. Carrie definitely qualified as a friend, and a mental note was added to chat with her more often. They knew each other somewhat, perhaps a new friendship level. That should change!

Carrie was caught with the question mid bite of her order of soft shell crab. Chewing for a few seconds she took a sip of her coke(the third refill she had gotten for the evening) before looking over,

"Nothing special, I was going to drive home,"

And count off how many dealers are out in the open so I could pack enough zip strips.

"change, and get to work on some projects,"

The Southside C's have been trying to push into the Fens and Greenbank, I could probably give Dragonfly a call so she can give me intel about their current locations.

"and maybe get a work out in before I go to bed."

It's a Saturday, so I should probably check around the bar areas for to take out the muggers.

"So nothing unusual, did you have anything in mind?"

While she had effectively had some work to do for her night job, it was nothing that couldn't be stoved off for a few hours and she was really enjoying her time with Mona and Viktor.

"Projects?," he asked after placing his order. He'd gone with the pork vindaloo and a dark brown wheat lager, and also ordered some popcorn shrimp for an appetizer (which he offered to share with both ladies). "What sort of projects? Something you decided on yourself, or commissioned pieces?"

Tomorrow, pop back to Japan to help the League with their relief efforts, then a half dozen meetings at ArcheTech. I would like to get some work in on my FTL engines, too. And meet with Billy sometime for wedding plans, see if I can get him a nice tuxedo for his wedding. I am sure he did not bring one with him! Need to figure out what I will wear. Oh, I wonder what Mona will be wearing? She will look stunning in it, whatever it is, I am sure.

"Mostly there my own projects I do in my spare time. Sometimes it's me making myself a new outfit so I can get used to a fabric, sometimes it's making a puzzle book by hand, really it's just the works of someone with way too much free time, and I...."

Reaching for her coke Carrie nearly dropped it back on the table when a scream pierced the jazz band. The nervousness pierced the crowd with it, and people were getting out of their seats immediately. Carrie reached up and pinched her nose before reaching for her purse.

"Ohh, why, nicest restuarant I've been too in I don't know how long and than...."

It was about than that the way exploded, fiery and violently sending of wood, stone and steel framing everywhere. The drywall dust filled the air from the impact making it hard to see, but there was the huming of rockets of the large robot loaming outside the window getting ready to fire another round.

The explosion barely even moved Fulcrum. Even with her mind racing quickly, the demolition was total by the time the explosion registered. Thankfully, she'd be practicing her new, mental senses, and quickly acquired the lay of the land. The shock on her face left her slackjawed!

Her shredded dress was the least of her problems. The layout of their side of the restaurant was obliterated. She couldn't sense Carrie at all, which meant she must be under the rubble! Viktor, though, rested among the debris.

"Viktor! she yelled, momentarily forgetting that something must have blasted out that wall. She hadn't even touched him when it registered in her mind. Even blinded by the dust, her cosmic senses formed the shape of the Alphadroid in her mind's eye.

And she was pissed.

GM

The Alphadroid didn't really comprehend the damages done. He didn't notice the smoke, or the screaming people or the fact that a corner of the restuarant had caved in during his attack. He did notice however a slight flare on his radar that showed the source of the terminus energy had not be terminated with his last attack. So taking aim, he shot off another rocket at the source.

Mona heard no coughing from Archeville, but that was because he was not choking. His Belt's life support field kicked in automatically whenever it detected a hint of something wrong, so he was now breathing gravitically filtered air.

Ohhh... what hit me?

Robot! Big robot!

Mona can tackle it solo for a few seconds while I focus on getting the people out!

He sprung to action, drawing his Electromagnetic Screwdriver and calculating the revised, post-explosion layout of the Bistro. Beams of bright red light shot out of the Screwdriver, first forming a corridor to contain the robot, Fulcrum and himself, then branching off to form glowing exit signs and handrails pointing to the fire exit at the side and the kitchen in the back. The Screwdriver kept pouring energy in, turning the holograms into 'hard light' constructs that, while not very strong, we solid enough to feel if you bumped into or grasped them. Another beam shot from the Screwdriver, towards Archeville himself, and formed a megaphone near his mouth.

"Remain calm," his amplified voice commanded, reassuring Mona that he was at least not severely injured. "Follow the signs to the nearest exist in an orderly fashion. Those of you who are uninjured, help those who have been harmed by the blast out of the building. If you need assistance, call out, and I shall come to you! Stay clear of Fulcrum and the giant robot!"

Fulcrum let out a mental sigh of relief. Viktor at least proved to be in working order, or well enough, to manage the civilians. That lifted one worry off of her shoulders, although Carrie's fate still weighed heavily on her. Unfortunately, she didn't have time to really contemplate the situation. The robot fired another missile, and all of their safety could be sake. Even if it didn't hurt her, everyone nearby would be caught in the blast!

Almost growling at the robot, Fulcrum grabbed a hold of that incoming missile, spun round-and-round and hammer threw it straight back at the robot! Banged the tin can straight in it's ugly mug! "And keep it!"

The heroine leaped after the damnable machine behind the missile. She zoomed through the returning shock wave, smoke swirling chaotically, and straight up kicked it in the 'chest'. What a satisfying clang!

Carrie felt herself in a bit of a daze, she wanted to say it was shock, but she wasn't shocked at all. She was sore, covered in rubble, a little tweeked, but definitely not shocked. In the back of her head she always had this little nagging feeling that something bad was going to happen, most the time something bad didn't but it was always there, but did it really HAVE to happen in the middle of dinner. This was such a nice freaking place, the food was awesome, the company was very enjoyable, and she had looked at the dessert menu and she could of ordered fondue. But no, all gone, the whole evening gone because some psycho had to blast a hole in the wall.

That contiplation combined with her own soreness left her laying under the rubble for a few seconds before getting on her hands and pushing herself out. It crumpled around her with a light thud as she glanced around. The dust was beginning to settle a little bit, and from what she could make out, Mona had flown out to face whatever it was that attacked, and Viktor had made a lighted barrel arched path to the exits.

Good to know I'm in the company of people used to emergencies.

The thought stuck dryly in her mind as she surveyed the scene, people were running towards the lit path, which was good, except for a part huddled around a section of wall that had caved in,

Right.

Standing as she dusted herself up as she climbed over the and around the lit path to the table and started pull and toss away the bits of drywall and wood that had pushed itself onto the table. If there was any words between the other people there she really didn't bother listening as she helped them removed the rubble. She could tell they were paniking and she really just didn't like dealing with people like that. After a few seconds they got to table itself which was supporting the weight of the rest of rubble on top and holding it. The other people started to push around trying to get the rubble off the chairs, but she decided to take a guys pushed away the rubble in front of table and looked under the cloth. There she found two six or seven year old boys huddled under the table shaking. There was no one else there, probably meant the adults left for just a minute and they hid there to try and surprise them when they got back. No wonder everyone was so scared. She let out a sigh, and held out her hand and said in a flat voice that didn't really reflect the panic of the situation that everyone else was experiencing at the moment,

"Come on out, dinners over, and it's time to go home."

GM

The Alphadroid didn't blink as it's own missle came back at it, probably because it didn't have any eyelids. It didn't evade the attack quick enough and it hit him in the leg damaging some of the circuitry. Which was fine, it could still fight, still terminate the energy source which came at him rather quickly from the smoke before it had a form. It was a little smaller than the Alphadroid but still large compared to most the other things it had seen, it also punched the droid right into the gut. No matter, it was close now, so it reached out and tried to punch into the source in return only to swing wildly and miss completely.

Wow. This thing is slow.

Fulcrum easily ducked under the clumsy blow and countered with two powerful crosses. Two satisfying clangs resonated through the streets as she worked the machine's torso.

The thing was tough. She'd give it that. But it also seemed as dumb as bricks, or more likely, simply not meant to fight someone as tough as Fulcrum. The armor plating must be titanium or some custom metal, but her fists were harder still!

"Surrender now and you will not be harmed!" She meant every word. If the robot, the pilot or remote controller just gave up, they could settle this issue without dispute!

Archeville shooed the last of the people out through the exits, and did a quick visual sweep of the restaurant for anyone unable to move. (Well, quick for others; for him and his inhumanly fast mental processes, it was a careful study of the area done in a flash.) He spotted two a waiter and a member of the band, both trapped under some rubble; the waiter seemed to be in a lot of pain.

Probably a broken limb from the debris. Could be some internal injuries, too. Cannot take the hard light walls and signs down, though, since there are still some evacuees using them. And I am not strong enough to lift that rubble.

Well, I have not needed this yet, since that 'bot seems focused on Mona. So...

Archeville's free hand went to the controls of his Gravimetric Belt, and began reprogramming the defensive field. Normally it used gravity fields to keep attacks off him, bending or dispersing energy beams and making physical projectiles heavier so their trajectories faltered. But if he inverted this, and reversed the polarity on that...

Quite suddenly all the loose rubble and debris in the bistro began to levitate upward, slipping free from the surly bonds of gravity. The move was smooth and steady, as Archeville took care to disturb the injured as little as possible. "Ca you help him out?," he barked at the musician, nodding towards the injured waiter.

Once I get these out, I can join Mona in the fight. Quick calculations... ambient lighting, wind speed, particulates in air... most reflective surfaces in area marred by drywall dust...

Wait, movement - more trapped people. Three uninjured, four injured; Carrie is assisting uninjured in assisting injured ones out. Good.

Recalculating...

GM

The Alphadroid looked at the source as it gabbed at it, but it didn't react. If it had, it would of attempted another hit, but its joints were stiff and unresponsive as a result of the stacking of the last two hits. It had no vocal response either, probably because it wouldn't know what to say. Instead it tried to loosen the joints so that it could hit the source again.

She watched the boys leave with their parents but it was not nearly as interesting as all the rubble now suddenly floating. Her eyes instantly shifted to Viktor,

Dang he works fast.

Letting that thought linger she started towards the closest person looking to need help, which for her was a waiter with a hurt leg. She gave him a shoulder as she looked to see that any other hurt person already had someone lending their shoulders as they moved towards the exit. When she got to the door she managed to hand off the guy before looking around to see only she and and Viktor was left. She let out a sigh,

Okay, so maybe it's not so bad that this only happened while we were here, okay, while he was here.

Realizing she'd cleaned it's clock, the giantess went in for the knock out. Up she leaped and swung her arms out to stabilize herself. Such was the might (and height) of the paragon that she cleared the top of the robot! Incoming!

As gravity pulled her earthward, she headbutted the robot with enough force to shatter impervium. A gigantic boom echoed over the din of crumbling walls and cries of confusion. The concrete under the droid's metal feet shattered. She'd waited for an opening to unleash her most powerful attack, and now she waited to see how the robot would fare. If it survived this attack, this battle would be a long one!

Drawing the fire from big nasties was her job, and business proved good today! Hopefully Viktor found Carrie and was able to evacuate the restaurant. This fight felt way, way too close to innocent bystanders for her tastes. One stray hit could prove disastrous!

Civilians evacuated. Clear line to target.

Targets superstructure severely compromised. Restrain.

The red glow of the hard light exit signs, corridor, and megaphone which bathed the levitating rubble all faded as Archeville readjusted his Screwdriver. It was now reconfigured to a magnetokinetic grabber, which could lift hundreds of tons of metal... or one rogue robot. Invisible waves of magnetic force reached out and pinned the robot's arms tightly to its torso and bound its legs together.

"Finish it," he said flatly to Mona, just loud enough for her to hear. She knew that tone -- it was that of his 'combat mind,' the place he went when he needed to focus less on being perceived as a Smooth and Suave "It" Guy and more on the unpleasant necessities of battle.

As everyone was leaving Carrie made her way back over to check on Viktor. Walking though she sort of winced at the area as she looked through, the lights were still on, while one of the walls had collapsed it was only that side of the restuarant, looking from the other side it was very eerie seeing no one there especially with the half eaten meals scattered throughout the table. She saw Viktor looking out the hole that was previously a restuarant wall and approached as she lightly moved over the debree. As she got closer she glanced out the hole and actually got a look at the thing that brought the house down. The large metal man pinned down on the concrete, as she got closer she saw Viktor him fiddling some device that was probably something she didn't want to interupt him using. Glancing over, she than saw Mona getting ready to from what she could tell, smash the living hell out of the whatever it was, looked like a robot but she could never be sure that it might be someone in a suit, though they probably deserved a good wooping if they were willing to shoot into a crowded restuarant.

Mona was impressed. Very impressed. Obviously whomever designed this thing knew what they were doing. Tanks weren't this durable. No doubt whatsoever lingered in Mona's mind that this thing was a robot. No battlesuit could take this punishment, and no respectable designer would make such a clumsy mess!

To be honest she looked a touch surprised by the sudden rigidity of the robot. Upon hearing Viktor's voice, the cause, while still unknown, at least had a clear source. She wasted no time at all. Spinning her body around, she roundhouse kicked the machine straight in the chest with all the force she could muster! She still doubted she'd scrape it, but if they could disable it sufficiently, she could contain it!

GM

There was a sick crack in the metal as the internal system in the chest collapsed under the impact. The damage was great and the AI could only process for a few more seconds before completely shutting down. It looked at the source and tried to raise it's arm to shoot off another missile but it fell flat as the power shut off completely and it went limp.

Fulcrum shook her hand in pain as the robot went down. Whether it would stay down was another matter, and she tapped the armored trunk. That's when she realized that she'd lost her shoes at some point. Probably during the initial explosion. She'd grown so accustomed to the nigh indestructible costume of hers.

Once convinced that the thing was down for good, she sighed and turned her attention to the restaurant. "What a disaster..."

Her face lit up upon spotting Carrie, and she scooped both Carrie and Viktor up into her arms. "I'm so glad you're both okay. That thing could have killed you both!" The squeeze started just a tug tight, but she quickly reigned in her enthusiasm and eased up.

Sitting the two down, she looked around the rumble of the once fine restaurant once more. She asked, "I don't see anyone else. Did they get out? Do we need rescue teams?"

Privately, she doubted Viktor would jump into combat unless the nearby citizens were okay. She could handle most anything that popped up, but the collateral damage could have been extensive. Thankfully, she managed to keep the machine focused on her and safely away from the locals. Which did raise another unsettling question.

"Why did it attack the restaurant?"