Some Who Wander Are Lost (IC)

"The school counselor wouldn't even let me take Dark Star's class," Erin admitted, sounding almost cheerful about the fact. "She said that I probably wouldn't be able to get along very well in there, because of different philosophies. So I missed out on a trip to space, but otherwise it was pretty okay. I think he just is lucky that he's never been in a situation where he had to make hard choices." She shrugged. "If it came right down to it, he'd probably do the same as any of us. But as for the Freedom League, I'm pretty sure they usually wait for people to apply, so there's, you know, no pressure or whatever."

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fulcrum nodded her agreement, "No pun intended, but he really does see the world in black-and-white. It just doesn't work that way. I'm more worried about him sticking rigidly to his ideals even against all the evidence. How destructive the fallout." Glancing to Erin, she asked curiously, "What does he teach? Field trips to space don't show up every day."

"You make a good point though. Now the question is do I really want to join the League? They're nice and all, but the Interceptors are my first team and my friends. I'd really feel better applying with their blessing." She chuckled and shook her head. "Maybe not the most ambitious philosophy but it feels right to ask." The two quietly strolled the exhibits, if only for a moment.

"Yes, I'm going to apply," came out of the blue. She voice had an edge of finality.

"That's good," Erin said with a nod. "I'm sure you'll be great as part of the Freedom League. And Doktor Archeville will probably be happy to be able to work with you on a team, if you get on the local Auxiliary team." She carefully tamped down a spurt of unheroic envy, for all that what she'd said earlier about Fulcrum's chances seemed accurate. With all Erin's own powers and none of the psychological issues, plus a few years of adulthood, Fulcrum would probably be a shoo-in to the team. And that would push Erin's own chances that much further into the distance. "You can get an application online," she told Mona helpfully, "but the counselor at school said it's better to call and have them send you one, so they know you're for real."

"Thank you, Erin. I really appreciate your confidence. Even the short time I've known you, I've come value your appraisal of people." She continued walking, glancing occasionally at the young heroine.

After a moment, she turned to her and said, "That's a really good skill, talent even, you have there. Definitely one worth cultivating long after school. Didn't Mark Twain say something about not letting your schooling get in the way of your education?" Which sounded true coming from Fulcrum. She certainly seemed to believe exactly that!

"I'll put in a good word for you. Assuming I pass muster," she added abruptly, smiling honestly, "Whether you want me to or not. When you feel ready of course. Least I can do for the friend that helped me overcome my anxiety."

"I appreciate it, whenever you want to give it," Erin said, though she didn't sound too confident. "I think I'm probably a lot more likely to land a regular security job. And that'll be fine," she added, just a little too firmly, as though she were trying to convince herself just a little bit. "Either way, I'm sure we'll be working together as long as we're both in the city, there are just too many bad guys cropping up all the time for anybody to not be necessary. You don't even have to be on a team to do hero work practically full time."

Mona nodded to Erin's thanks and said, "Isn't that the truth? I'm just waiting for the next Big Thing to hit us. After everything we've been through, only an army of flaming monkey ninjas or something equally as bizarre would give me pause."

"I'd like to work with you in the field anyway. I've seen your work from a distance, but fighting together will be a good experience."

"Well, if you want a security job, I will pass your name along to Viktor. I mean, Dr. Archeville. If he doesn't have an opening, I'm sure he has connections." Erin may not be entirely convinced, but obviously Mona had confidence in her.

"What's the craziest adventure you had in Young Freedom?"

Erin had to think about that one for a minute. "Well, when we go to Anti-Earth it's always crazy and messed up," she decided. "For all kinds of reasons, but it's not really the 'fun' kind of crazy, or the good story kind." She ran a hand over her hair thoughtfully. "I guess one I really remember is when we had to fight a Terminus incursion down in the jungle, one where we had no idea beforehand what we were going to find. I had to fight Shadivan Steelegrave, and if my friends hadn't caught me, I'd have fallen right into the middle of a volcano." She shrugged. "I guess that one's not really so much fun, either. One time we fought cultists at an amusement park," she offered instead.

"A volcano? Ouch, that would leave a mark. Glad you're all in one piece. Swimming in that super-heated oatmeal wouldn't be fun."

For reasons obvious to Fulcrum, she sounded particularly interested in the Terminus incursion and this Shadivan Steelegrave. The look on her face could easily be mistaken for surprise. Which in face she was surprised by the volcano incident! She made a mental note to come back to that topic. If anyone actually enjoyed learning of the Terminus, she was definitely it.

She took the bait inside and said, "Okay, I'll bite. What sort of cultists did you fight and which amusement park? Some of those are creepy enough by themselves. Bonus if the cultists wore robes." She smiled and added, "Never have figured out what the whole robe thing is about. Maybe some sort of cultist guild rule?"