Some Who Wander Are Lost (IC)

"Yes, it is," Erin agreed, a little bit surprised. "I grew up in Seattle, before I came to Freedom City and everything. It's a lot different from here. My, um... the Erin who's native here is going to the University of Washington next year. They have a great girl's softball team." She opened a cracker packet from the basket on the table, fiddling with it as her thoughts were unexpectedly filled with old expectations and hopes. "Seattle is a good town for artists, too, lots of galleries and little museums and street fairs and stuff. Why did you decide to come back to Freedom City?"

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Oh, wow," replied Mona, surprised as well. "Yes, Seattle had a heavenly quality. If you dug deep enough you could find just about any genre, technique, whatever, imaginable. A veritable cornucopia of artists. A cornucopia of many talents and abilities. The city just feels vibrant, alive somehow." She sighed at the fond memories.

Her tone settled a bit at Erin's question. "Couple of reasons. My family mostly. Most of my friends have moved away, but my family is all right here. Figured the time had come to return to roost for a while. I've traveled all over the country for my work, but this city will always be my home." Shifting in her seat, she looked to be finding a comfortable position, but just as much the next reason always made her a bit uncomfortable. "The other reason is my hero work. Freedom City is the New York of super heroes. 'If you can make it here you can make it anywhere.' Felt that the time was right."

"I really shouldn't emphasize those reasons. My relationship with my mother has been rocky for months, and I don't feel so confident in my hero work either," she added candidly.

"Why?" Erin asked curiously, taking a drink of her soda. They both fell silent when the waitress returned with their food, but she didn't take back the question. She'd spilled more about her own background to Fulcrum than she had to most other people, even people she'd known much longer. And she figured Mona wouldn't have brought it up if it wasn't something she wanted to talk about on some level. Erin wasn't totally sure that she would be objective in a talk about getting along with moms, but she could listen, at least.

Truth be known, Mona volunteered that last tidbit of information before realizing what she'd done. To do again she'd just keep her mouth shut, although for general reasons and nothing specific to Erin. Thankfully, the waitress provided a convenient excuse to stay silent. Gave her time to think. Perhaps avoiding the question would be wisest, in a sense, but Erin seemed to be trusting her a great deal. A little quid pro quo didn't hurt.

Seasoning her kabobs, she finally said, "My mom and I have rarely seen eye-to-eye on...well...anything really. I've been too shy at one time, too outspoken at another and always too much of a tomboy for her tastes. Even when I was only 6'2" not 8"." A little picking at the rice but she didn't eat. "Ever since I developed my powers, our relationship has been more strained then ever."

"As for my hero work, I can't put my finger on it. I just feel as if something is missing. A little lost I suppose you could say."

"That's too bad," Erin said, figuring that was a safe response, at least. She poked a scallop with her fork and ate it, thinking about what to say. She was pretty interested in the fact that Mona had apparently been extremely tall even before she got her powers, but mentioning that at the moment seemed tactless. "She's probably proud of you anyway, even if she doesn't show it. Maybe she doesn't want to have to admit she was wrong. But I mean, you're a hero, and she's your mom." She took a few more bites of salad, enjoying the fresh taste and the change from school lunches. Then she reminded herself again to be grateful for the school lunches, because she was pretty sure she'd miss them when they were gone. "When's the last time you talked to her?"

Why exactly were they pursuing this line of conversation? Frankly, wasn't Fulcrum supposed to be mentoring Wander, not the other way around? Not that reversing the flow wounded her ego. She just wondered if Erin had enough on her mind without extra emotional baggage. Nonetheless talking about the problem did seem to bring a bit of peace, if not solutions.

"I hope so. You're right. She is my mom after all. I just wish she'd meet me halfway on some things." Her brow furrowed while considering Erin's last statement. Nibbles disappeared from the first kabob, stick and all. "Oh, I don't know, maybe a month or so ago. The intervals are becoming longer."

Erin goggled a little bit when she realized Mona was eating her kebabs stick and all, but decided not to say anything about it. Maybe she had some weird dietary imbalance, or maybe she was so huge it was like eating a sprig of parsley with her meal or something. Either way, it wasn't really the subject at hand. "It's good that you keep going to see her," Erin opined, scooping up a forkful of lettuce. "Even if it doesn't really work out like you want, if you say all the things you need to say and keep trying, then you won't have as much to regret when she's gone eventually. You don't want to leave things unsaid or undone."

Mona smiled. "That's very encouraging, thank you. I'll keep up trying." Yes, she ate the entire stick and didn't seem to notice. "Living without regrets sounds easy, but everyone lives with a few. I'll extend the olive branch again. Besides I miss seeing my sister and step dad more often."

The second kabob lost half it's yummy contents before Mona released what she was doing. She glanced up at Erin, then at the kabob and finally back to Erin with a grin. Then she ate the other shrimp, vegetables and stick. "I do things like that occasionally. One time I rolled up a spoon into a ball without even thinking about it."

Somewhat suddenly she added, after a sip of her drink, "Thank you, Erin. I feel better."

"You're welcome," Erin told her, continuing to eat her salad in a leisurely fashion. People were staring at them, but it didn't bother her quite as much now. "I've crushed spoons and stuff before, but usually I eat less now than I did before I got my powers. I mean, I like to eat and I have normal meals whenever I can, but if I'm busy or on a mission or whatever, I can go a couple of days without eating before it starts to bother me. Good metabolism, I guess." She shrugged, gave a half-smile. "Guess it'll save on my grocery bills, at least. My cat's pretty picky though, he wants the best, and twice a day like clockwork."

Mona chuckled and slowly started in on another kabob. Between bites, she replied, "Your and my cat both. For being a rescue, Archimedes has rather rarefied tastes himself. Not to mention he'll beg off everything he can get. Sometimes I wonder if it's just a cat thing."

"That is a good metabolism," came the thoughtful reply. She stopped eating a moment and pondered her words. Eventually she took a sip of her drink and added, "Are your powers still developing? I went through a phase like that myself. Now I only eat because I enjoy food so much."

Although not half done with her meal, Mona glanced across the room. There sat the Holy Grail of Champion's delights, the dessert cart. Glancing back to Erin, "Champion's has some of the best cheesecake in town."

"I don't think so," Erin replied. "My whole body got altered when I took the injection that changed me. Since then, my powers have sort of gotten more refined, more useful as I've trained them up, but that's about it. I'm a better fighter and acrobat and athlete now than I was two years ago, but that's forty hours a week of powers and combat training, plus missions. I'll probably always have to eat some and sleep some, but I can live with that." She glanced to the dessert cart, then to her salad, then back again. "I'm game if you are," she told Mona.

Mona whistled quietly, "Forty hours a week of training and missions? Wow, I knew your schedule was full but not that full." Returning to the original topic, she continued, "Having a reasonably normal metabolism and physiology helps keeps you grounded. You know, the daily routines of life."

A serious look came over her face just then. She set down her fork and looked Erin straight in the eye. "You realize we'll ruin our lunches. Now you're speaking my language. I hear that the key lime cheesecake and seven-chocolate pie are absolutely divine." Then she waved over the waitress. When you have arms that long, rarely were waves missed.

"We really should be good girls and finish the main course first," she added along with a smirk.

"When I eat, I can eat a lot," Erin assured her, half-smiling again. It was easier now, as she was starting to feel a little bit more relaxed. Maybe this could work out after all. "Early on, I was doing more than forty, but I was so far behind in school that I needed to spend more time studying, and work in at least a little sleep. Guess I wasn't really thinking ahead at that point," she said, somewhat ruefully. "If I'd let them hold me back and start me as an old sophomore, I'd have another year before I started apartment hunting. Guess that's just the way it goes."

She looked avariciously at the dessert cart as it approached, deciding on a really excellent-looking piece of seven-layer chocolate pie. Virtuously, she let it sit by her plate and ate her salad while she waited for her companion to make her choice.

"Again, you're speaking my language," she replied before very seriously and scientifically collecting data on the various specimens on display. Indeed a thorough superspeed inspection revealed that virtually all of the dessert selections were hideously bad for you and thus, perversely, incredibly yummy. All of this conveyed in a strange, eyebrow-raised pause as the waitress awaited their selections.

In a similarly virtuous manner, Mona set aside her slice of raspberry cheesecake and continued on her (still cute delicious) kabobs. Once the waitress departed, she said, "Yup, let the chips fall where they may. Speaking of apartment hunting, what else is on your mind? Apartment hunting can be a real drag but well within the capabilities of a hardworking and resourceful heroine."

Thankfully the sticks remained intact this time.

Erin shrugged. "Getting a job, I guess. I'll have a diploma, so that's good, but all I've done for work is babysitting. That pays pretty well, but Avenger and Phantom aren't exactly going to take me on full-time for that. The market's not great, but I figure if I'm not picky, I'll get something. And I don't really have much of a secret identity to protect, so maybe being really strong and fast will help me out. Something with, like, insurance would be good, but that's sort of gravy." Truthfully, she was more worried than she wanted to admit about giving up her sessions with Dr. Marquez and the other psychologists she'd worked with. She wasn't going to share that here, though.

"Well, if you like kids, that babysitting experience could land you a spot in a day care or as a teacher's assistant. Depending on the workplace, you could jump right into the job out of school." Washing down a bite, she continued, "Have you assembled a resume yet? Sure, you may not have many entries but the presentation counts the most. If officially you participated in "extracurricular sports", for example, include it. Just about anything constructive you did outside of school. As you build up your resume, you can drop off items that are no longer relevant. Just have to stay positive about every entry."

"The athletic angle isn't a bad one. Off the top of my head, you could possibly find work as a security guard, bouncer, bodyguard, construction worker, dock hand, warehouse worker, etc. Sure, some will require training, but some of it will also be on the job. If nothing else," she smiled warmly, "You'd probably impress enough to make them forget about any lack of experience."

"Yes, insurance would be a good. Although, depending on how obvious your powers are, you may be better off making private arrangements with a superhero doctor." Finally, the last of the kabobs disappeared, and Fulcrum started in on the vegetables and rice. The cheesecake loomed ever closer on the horizon!

"Yeah, except I don't have the money," Erin pointed out with a fatalistic shrug. She chased a few last greens around the bowl, then pushed it aside. "And I don't really want any civilian job that's going to require a background check. I mean, I think my new ID is good, but there's no sense in pushing it. Though bodyguard might not be a bad idea, I guess," she said thoughtfully, cocking her head as she stuck her fork into the pie. "At least for somebody who's not looking for someone huge and imposing to show off their muscles." Erin certainly had muscles, but she looked more like an athlete than a brawler, which showed how deceiving looks could be. "You know anybody who needs their body guarded?"

Fulcrum thought about the question and shook her head. "Not right off hand, no. If you want to avoid a background check, which I bet is part of joining an established security firm, then maybe see if someone connected to the school needs a bodyguard. Any of your friends have high rollers in their family?"

"I once dated a guy that worked for a security firm. From what he told me, imposing really wasn't the important part. You had to be very observant and know how to think on your feet as well as being fit." She slowly chewed her rice before continuing, "I could see you blending in with the passersby until someone needed a thump to the head." Seeing Erin finishing up, Mona downed the last couple of bites and pushed her plate to the side.

"Hmm, you know...," she added momentarily. Her head bobbed as if weighing the pros and cons. "You may be able to kill two birds with one stone. Several facilities offer free or reduced payments for superhero medical care. Plus I'd think they could use some way above-average security. ASTRO Labs and ArcheTech spring to mind."

"It's not really medical care I'm worried about," Erin finally admitted, poking at her pie with her fork. "I mean, I don't get sick, and when I get hurt it just gets better. But I've been in, you know, pretty intensive therapy ever since I got here. And I'm a lot better now than I was, but the idea of just going without kind of makes me nervous. But it's not really essential." She frowned down at her pie, suddenly not quite as hungry for it as she had been. "I think ASTRO and ArcheTech probably both have enough superhumans working for them who are smart too that they probably don't need one just for busting skulls. I guess it wouldn't hurt to apply."

Mona smiled warmly and nodded, "You're right. Can't hurt to apply."

Gingerly the cheesecake plate slid into position. Mona actually rubbed her hands together in anticipation and sampled the tiniest nibble. Then she sighed happily. "This is magnificent cheesecake. How is your chocolate death?" The question was as much to keep her mind off this recent confession as the pie itself.

"Now I can't speak for ASTRO Labs, but I know ArcheTech retains people of every imaginable walk of life and talent. Yes, some really smart people work there, but also some really dedicated, organized, clever and 'skull busting' people too. Not necessarily all at the same time and on the same shift. I am absolutely positive you can find a niche and honest work. If not at that company, then at a university or research lab or some other facility." Savoring another bite of cheesecake, she said, "If you feel safer, or that you'd benefit, from further therapy, than an employer with connections to the super community the way to go. One less headache on the secret identity scale."

To what do we describe Fulcrum's demeanor? Her body language suggested simple acceptance. She may not be privy to or understand the circumstances, but that didn't stop empathy. She could, in her own way, relate to Erin's anxieties. Perhaps that's a good start for anyone.

Erin thought for a minute, but ate while she thought. The pie was really very good. "And I guess it would be nice to work someplace where I was still in contact with other heroes, instead of just, you know, my close friends from school and nobody else. Probably not easy to even get an interview someplace like ArcheTech, though." She gave Mona a crooked sort of smile. "I guess it would probably be unethical or something to ask you to put in a good word for me. But maybe the school could do something, or knows somebody there."

After another lazy bite of cheesecake, Fulcrum smirked and replied, "Well, I'm not sure if I'd call it 'unethical'. 'It's not what you know but what you know' does have a grain of truth to it. Tell you what. Ask around school first. See if anyone can make a connection for you, and I'll put in that good word to speed things along. No one would be the wiser."

"If worse comes to worse," she said, leaning back in her chair, "I know a Dr. Archeville occasionally does high-level interviews himself." A bite at mouth level, she stopped and thought a moment, "For some reason I'm blanking out. Have you met Dr. Archeville? I could have sworn he mentioned meeting you. The cheesecake must be affecting my brain." A chuckle followed.

"Anyway, rambling aside, yes, I'll put in a good word for you," she finished. Then she ate the bite.

"Yeah, a couple times," Erin admitted, frowning again. "But I probably didn't make a very good impression. The first time was at that citywide sparring match where I beat up Dead Head. And then he came around while I was babysitting Avenger and Phantom's baby and got into a bunch of books he wasn't supposed to. He summoned some kind of freaky monsters and was acting all possessed, so I decked him and beat up the monsters." The corners of her lips quirked. "I did get a hazard bonus that night, Avenger always pays extra when I have to beat things up while I'm on the clock. But I'm not sure it'll be very good for me going into a job interview if that's what he remembers me for."

Her eyes lit up. "Oh, yes, I remember now. Yes, he made a grand and very hammy entrance. I still don't know how he convinced me to ride on that platform. That was a pretty interesting afternoon all around." One more bite disappeared.

At some point she smirked and stopped eating, propping up her head on her arm and listening intently. "Oh, really? He told me that story but failed to mention the whole 'punched in the head' thing. Now, see, we're heroes. You were doing what you thought was necessary and prudent, yes? Then that shouldn't matter."

"In fact I know, at the very least, neither incident will be held against you. He's quite forgiving and may actually see the knock out as a positive. I...wish I could have seen that though. Hey, at least no one was permanently injured, and you did receive hazard pay." Her gaze wandered off, mostly likely imagining Wander punching out Viktor.

"Did you enjoy babysitting for them?"

"I do like it," Erin said, digging into her pie again and washing it down with soda. "The baby is sweet most of the time, and the pay is super-good. Plus they've got like this movie-sized television with all the trimmings, and thousand dollar sofas, so when the baby's sleeping, it's a cool place to just relax. Avenger's kind of weird and creepy, but he's okay, and Phantom is almost never around when I'm sitting. Plus they don't mind if I have my boyfriend over while I'm there, because they know we're both responsible and wouldn't do anything bad. It's a nice way to spend some evenings, and I've saved up enough money doing it to cover a few months' bills, but it's not something I could probably do full time. They aren't looking for a nanny."