Zoom Plus

Veiled Malice

It was a normal day at North Bay academy. Sun shining, birds singing and all that. Megan Howell had just exited her first period class, and prepared to get to her next class, with the unrelentingly boring Mr. Kingston, when her cheerleading friends, Lucy and Tabitha, came up to her.

"Hey Meg," Lucy said, peppy as usual, but somehow serious this day. "Did you hear what happened to Steve? His house totally got broken into!"

"I know, right?" Tabitha chipped in. She had that look on her face that told Megan the next part was going to be very embellished. "I heard it was this bunch of super fast goons - you know, real musclehead types, right? I mean, how scary is that? Steve lives down the street from me!"

Lucy looked over at Tabitha with a confused expression on her face. "But I thought he lived on Carthridge. You live on Lakewood."

Tabitha quirked her head to the side for a second. It seemed as if her brain was working on something fairly difficult. Then her face lit up like daylight had just streamed in through a crack in the roof. "Oh yeah! I was totally thinking about Brian!"

"Oh my gawd, did you hear Lindsy snaked him from Samantha?" Lucy said.

"I know! What a skank! She's not broken up with Dale for a day, and already she's on Brian like a bad hair day!"

"Oh, and speaking of bad hair..."

This could go on for a while.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a normal day at North Bay academy. Sun shining, birds singing and all that. Megan Howell had just exited her first period class, and prepared to get to her next class, with the unrelentingly boring Mr. Kingston, when her cheerleading friends, Lucy and Tabitha, came up to her.

"Hey Meg," Lucy said, peppy as usual, but somehow serious this day. "Did you hear what happened to Steve? His house totally got broken into!"

"I know, right?" Tabitha chipped in. She had that look on her face that told Megan the next part was going to be very embellished. "I heard it was this bunch of super fast goons - you know, real musclehead types, right? I mean, how scary is that? Steve lives down the street from me!"

Lucy looked over at Tabitha with a confused expression on her face. "But I thought he lived on Carthridge. You live on Lakewood."

Tabitha quirked her head to the side for a second. It seemed as if her brain was working on something fairly difficult. Then her face lit up like daylight had just streamed in through a crack in the roof. "Oh yeah! I was totally thinking about Brian!"

"I know! What a skank! She's not broken up with Dale for a day, and already she's on Brian like a bad hair day!"

“That sounds majorly freaky.†Megan said in agreement to the other girls’ comments about the burglary at Steve’s place.

“I know, what was Jan thinking with that new haircut?†Megan replied with a smile as she joined in the conversation that, as usual seemed to flitter from one topic to another, often without much rhyme or reason.

But even as she was smiling and gossiping, in the back of her mind, Megan was thinking about these “superfast†goons that might be responsible for the break-in at Steve’s house. That was definitely something she would have to look into. Last thing se wanted was some sort of superpowered thugs running loose in her own backyard!

“That sounds majorly freaky.†Megan said in agreement to the other girls’ comments about the burglary at Steve’s place.

“I know, what was Jan thinking with that new haircut?†Megan replied with a smile as she joined in the conversation that, as usual seemed to flitter from one topic to another, often without much rhyme or reason.

But even as she was smiling and gossiping, in the back of her mind, Megan was thinking about these “superfast†goons that might be responsible for the break-in at Steve’s house. That was definitely something she would have to look into. Last thing se wanted was some sort of superpowered thugs running loose in her own backyard!

Most of the rest of the day, things went more or less normally. Boredom, followed by brief periods of fun when she could talk to her friends between classes being the norm.

But then gym came up. It might not have been other student's favorite class, but with Megan's powers, it at least made the running parts a bit easier. She had just finished stretching and followed the rest of her class onto the indoor track when she noticed some boys over by the end of the track not suited up. They were in a loose semi circle, laughing over something. And when Megan's class started filtering in, they began talking excitedly amongst each other.

(OOC: Make a notice check.)

Most of the rest of the day, things went more or less normally. Boredom, followed by brief periods of fun when she could talk to her friends between classes being the norm.

But then gym came up. It might not have been other student's favorite class, but with Megan's powers, it at least made the running parts a bit easier. She had just finished stretching and followed the rest of her class onto the indoor track when she noticed some boys over by the end of the track not suited up. They were in a loose semi circle, laughing over something. And when Megan's class started filtering in, they began talking excitedly amongst each other.

Megan moved along with the rest of the class, trying to edge a bit closer in the direction of the boys at the end. She had learned long ago that her powers made it easy to try to focus on certain tasks, such as trying to spot someone in a room in a split second. Right now she tries to focus on hearing what they might be talking about.

(ooc Megan will Take 20 to try to overhear what they are saying)

Megan moved along with the rest of the class, trying to edge a bit closer in the direction of the boys at the end. She had learned long ago that her powers made it easy to try to focus on certain tasks, such as trying to spot someone in a room in a split second. Right now she tries to focus on hearing what they might be talking about.

The boys moved around almost nervously as the class approached. It seemed like they were trying to keep something secret between them, and slid their semi-circle closed just as Megan passed. One of the group stuck out, as well. He looked older than any student in high school. Though possible that he was simply in different classes then her, or that he was a TA, but Megan was fairly sure neither were true. There was one thing she heard, though - "There she is".

Suddenly, one of the guys from the circle was beside her, keeping up with her easily. His name didn't immediately spring to mind, but she knew he was a senior on the lacrosse team. He was handsome in that rugged, outdoor fashion, but there was something seriously wrong with his eyes. They were glassy and unfocused, like he'd been hit in the head recently and was just now shaking it off. The leer on his face was slightly worrying, too.

"Hey there, Meg," he said, or fairly slurred. "Having fun running? Wanna race?"

The boys moved around almost nervously as the class approached. It seemed like they were trying to keep something secret between them, and slid their semi-circle closed just as Megan passed. One of the group stuck out, as well. He looked older than any student in high school. Though possible that he was simply in different classes then her, or that he was a TA, but Megan was fairly sure neither were true. There was one thing she heard, though - "There she is".

Suddenly, one of the guys from the circle was beside her, keeping up with her easily. His name didn't immediately spring to mind, but she knew he was a senior on the lacrosse team. He was handsome in that rugged, outdoor fashion, but there was something seriously wrong with his eyes. They were glassy and unfocused, like he'd been hit in the head recently and was just now shaking it off. The leer on his face was slightly worrying, too.

Megan looked over at the other senior as she focused on placing his name. It took a moment, but she remembered it was Eric Jenkins.

“Hey Eric.†She replied in a friendly tone, wondering if he was drunk or drugged up. “Running is okay. But I don’t think Coach Jones wants us racing though. What are you doing here?â€Â

Megan looked over at the other senior as she focused on placing his name. It took a moment, but she remembered it was Eric Jenkins.

“Hey Eric.†She replied in a friendly tone, wondering if he was drunk or drugged up. “Running is okay. But I don’t think Coach Jones wants us racing though. What are you doing here?â€Â

"Just taking in the sights." Eric jogs out in front of Megan and turns around, now running backwards. "And I do like what I see."

A sudden comotion from behind Megan catches her attention. Two more of the boys previously laneside started to harrass a few of her friends. The PE teacher began running over to break it up, but all of a sudden, the third boy ran in front and tripped Mr. Cuthbert. Megan saw clearly what happened, but all anyone else saw was a blur of motion and some laughter.

"Just taking in the sights." Eric jogs out in front of Megan and turns around, now running backwards. "And I do like what I see."

A sudden comotion from behind Megan catches her attention. Two more of the boys previously laneside started to harrass a few of her friends. The PE teacher began running over to break it up, but all of a sudden, the third boy ran in front and tripped Mr. Cuthbert. Megan saw clearly what happened, but all anyone else saw was a blur of motion and some laughter.

“Thanks.†Megan replied with a well practiced smile that looked real despite how forced it was. “Most guys do.â€Â

Hearing the commotion behind her and seeing the boy move at high speed to trip Mr. Cuthbert, Megan felt a bit worried at the situation as it seemed to be developing. Eric and the other boys seemed to be on something like Zoom, and at the very least were not acting like themselves. The young blonde hoped she could try to get them to leave for now without having to resort to using her powers, something she hated to do at school.

Looking back at Eric, she continued. “You know, causing a scene here will only lead to security being called up, which I know you don’t want. Why don’t you guys head to whatever you have this period and we can meet up later or something?â€Â

“Thanks.†Megan replied with a well practiced smile that looked real despite how forced it was. “Most guys do.â€Â

Hearing the commotion behind her and seeing the boy move at high speed to trip Mr. Cuthbert, Megan felt a bit worried at the situation as it seemed to be developing. Eric and the other boys seemed to be on something like Zoom, and at the very least were not acting like themselves. The young blonde hoped she could try to get them to leave for now without having to resort to using her powers, something she hated to do at school.

Looking back at Eric, she continued. “You know, causing a scene here will only lead to security being called up, which I know you don’t want. Why don’t you guys head to whatever you have this period and we can meet up later or something?â€Â

Eric seemed about to just laugh off Megan's suggestion, but something about her pointing things out so obviously lit understanding in his eyes. Suddenly, he appeared to be very nervous and broke off of his leisurely jog to run back to his friends. Megan could see that something was clearly wrong with him, though. One moment, his run would have been considered fast for a sports car - marking it as super human - and the next, it was as if he'd gotten stuck in molasses. Like a tape in slow motion, Eric inchingly made his way back to his friends.

But only a couple moments later, Eric clutched his hands to his chest and collapsed to the ground. To the horror of the few students near him, who backed away quickly, it appeared he was having a heart attack - in slow motion.