New Kid in Town

Lone Star

Crow rubbed his chin for a moment, cogitating the answer in his mind before coming up with a rather slow answer. He picked his words carefully, though he wasn't entirely sure of how to explain it himself.

"Eeeh...if you want to take the term literally...then sort of. I'm not a mage or anything, I haven't got magic in my fingertips like some of the big-leaguers you hear about, and I sure as heck can't pull off some of the really spectacular feats. I'm sort of a...magic engineer, if you get my meaning. Know the principles, how to identify, how to tap into it, but can't really...make any, per se. At least not yet."

He stopped rubbing his chin, a somewhat chagrined look on his face, and his mouth quirked upwards in a self-depreciating smile as he shrugged.

"I know, it's confusing. And rune magic's supposed to be one of the more functional methods of using the arcane."

Corbin smirked and drawled out his next words, adding just a hint of a more Southern accent, as opposed to his typical General American.

"Janis, I dare say no one would ever call you "fragile", and I've just met you."

He shook his head, and his speech shifted back to its typical patterns.

"I'm just sticking with the rest of you all. I figure it would be more rude to just stop and wait downstairs. Isn't against the rules or anything, since it's not the dead of night.

Anyways, yeah. The ring's magic. Old magic. I've yet to precisely determine from who or where, though i have some ideas and leads. Basically, it makes whatever I want it to make."

He holds his hand out, concentrating, before what looks like a simple mug appears.

"Still working on making stuff more complicated..."

She nodded, clearly impressed. "Well that is pretty cool, I have to say. My powers are a little more mundane. I believe I showed Corbin already, and I'd prefer not to demonstrate again in an elevator, but I can control lightning. There's nothing really subtle about it, though. Most people can hear it a few blocks away. I've never actually tried to shape it-" Janis said, looking at Corbin's ring. "I guess it's too unstable. It does its job, though!"

The elevator doors opened, and Janis walked out. "So where's our room? I wanna seee!"

Vicky smiled, Janice's excitement was infectious. "Right this way," she said leading the way over to her room. Juggling the load she got the key out of her pocket, unlocked the door. Inside sat a desk, bed, two dressers and loft bed/desk combination piece. One section of wall had a motivational poster showing a colonial era warship sailing on an ocean of sand that reads "Imagination It's why we play".

"Home sweet home," she said and set Janice's stuff down gently on the non-loft bed.

Janis promptly moved her stuff off of the bed and plopped down. "Oooh. Comfy. It's a nice room, I'll have to admit. Looks like you keep things pretty clean. This will change, of course." Janis said with a sly wink. "But yeah, seems pretty cozy. I'll start moving my stuff in." She hopped up from the bed, and started to remove things from her suitcase. Her hands busily moved things onto the bed- posters, clothes, and somehow a full-sized beanbag chair were shoved in her suitcase.

"So what are you guys doing for the rest of the day?" she said as she scampered around the room, quickly setting things up.

Crowe looked at Corbin, then back at the girls. He just shrugged, leaning on the door jamb with a somewhat impish smile.

"Nowhere in particular. Was thinking of trying to work out that new rune, but I think I'll let my roomie find the scorch marks first, and get all the rude words out of his system."

*In the Elevator*

Corbin shrugs at Janis's comment about stability.

"Well, give it some time; who knows, maybe you'll get more precise control soon enough. I sort of "cheated", since the ring's almost "pre-programmed". If I were to be going from the ground up, I'd be in the same boat as you. That's what practice is for, one way or another."

*At the Room*

Corbin took a glance at the room, standing in the doorway. A small blue wedge that hadn't been there before kept the door propped open.

"Not bad. They make pretty good dorm rooms here, when all is said and done."

Corbin smirked a bit at Janis's question.

"Well, I've got all my homework done. I was originally planning to do a bit more drawing, maybe read a bit, and then spend time with Quo-Dis. We've, ah, been busy these last couple of weeks. We need to...catch up on things."

Janis winked at Corbin. "Oh, hooking up with the alien, huh? Good man. You'll have to introduce her to me sometime." she said. "I don't mean that in a flirty way, although I do tend to mean things in that sense often, but I've never actually met an alien myself." She tilted her head to one side as she hung up a poster. "Did that sound racist? Well, I'm probably going to put stuff up here, then maybe walk around campus a bit."

"I've been going out with Quo-Dis for several months now. There have been moments brought on by cultural differences, but in the end, we both feel it's completely, utterly worth it. She's...she's something else."

At first, his face had worn a slightly irritated expression, likely brought on by Janis calling his girlfriend "the alien". But as he pondered the relationship he had with the girl, his eyes grew distant and his mouth split into a smile.

After about 30 seconds of slightly awkward silence, he shook his head slightly and refocused on the conversation at hand.

"Touring the campus? I think Crow and I can give you some help there. Between the two of us we can point out all the sights to be seen."

Janis smiled at Corbin. "Well, I'm really happy for you, man. I didn't mean to offend or anything. And I'd really like that." She closed her eyes and relaxed. "Listen, sorry if I get out of hand sometimes. I really do have a problem with hyperactivity, and I hope it doesn't bother you guys." Janis said, her face falling. "I really should just...learn to chill out! It's really difficult sometimes, though. I sometimes hate myself for it! It's really difficult to focus!" She sat down on the bed. "I really hope you guys'll be there for me."

Corbin smiles a bit.

"I apologize for snapping at you. I just really like Quo-Dis, and she's had some trouble from a small but notable element of the student body."

He quirked an eyebrow at her comments on her energy.

"Instead of trying to ignore it, maybe find ways to channel it? I mean, you're an electricity controller. In my mind, it makes sense you'd be full of energy a lot. Find a few things you like, and go after them. Burn up some of that extra energy.

At any rate, you'll be fine. Your friends are here to help, after all."

Crowe stroked his chin a bit, then spoke up from behind Corbin, poking his head to the side, past the rather sizeable teen's arm.

"If you're looking for ways to burn off energy, there's some pretty good training facilities around here. Running tracks, fields, fitness centre, that kind of thing. Heck, I'd spar with you anytime if you're looking to practice hand-to-hand, boxing or anything like that."

He gave a warm smile, and nodded at Wisp, clearly but wordlessly including her in the offer.

Vicky scowled, "Her... Oh I've met her. Last someone with her attitude I met, she ended up on the floor of my old high school's hallway with a broken jaw. I admit it was unintentional and in self defense but she did deserve it."

At Morgan's mention of the various health and athletics services on her mood cleared a little. "Yeah, the folks in the weight room here don't give me funny looks when my weights go into the half-ton range." She nodded her head toward's Crowe, indicating she'd enjoy some lessons.

"That'd be pretty cool." she said, standing up. "I need to work on my fighting style, anyway. I mostly just...you know. Fire lightning bolts at them until they stop trying to kill me. A little weight training never hurt anyone, either." To demonstrate, she revealed and flexed a bicep. "Meh. Always room for improvement. But now, I really need to meet Mr. Summers before his office closes. Can one..." she looked about the room. "Or several, or all of you show me where that is?"

"I can show you, no problem. I have to head there anyway to sign some paperwork on the room," Vicky said, opening a drawer in Janis' desk and pulling a crown royal whiskey bag and a few Dungeons and Dragons rule books out, allowing her roommate access to the desk. "Sorry, while I was the lone occupant I kinda spread out. I don't think I left anything else in your desk or dresser," she added with a sheepish grin.

"I can show you, Janis. Vicky, you can come, but if you feel like cleaning your room up, that works too. My schedule's pretty loose, and I've been there a few times. All cordial visits, mind you.

As for workouts, I'll probably see you guys in there sometimes. I do a fair number of training sessions in the simulator these days. After some of the fights I've been in, it's been nice to hone the edge, you know?"

Then the weight figure Vicky gave actually registered, and he gave an impressed whistle.

"A half-ton? No joke? That's pretty good no matter who you are. Being a super-strong teleporter sounds like you can lay on the hurting."

He straightens up from his perch against the wall, his hand making sure the door barely moves as the blue doorstop dissolves into air. He steps to one side and waits for Janis to step out and head towards the offices.

Looking around at Corbin's comment on cleaning, she quirked an eyebrow. "Other than forgetting some books and dice in her desk, the place is pretty clean. Especially compared to last week before laundry day..."

She set the books on top of her dresser and when she heard his whistle she felt her cheeks flush with embarrassment. "No joke. My personal best fourteen-hundred pounds but my arms were burning for days. These days I tend to keep it around nine-hundred or so. And yeah, there's a few snakemen who tried to take hostages on the subway last month that will agree with you," she finished with a smirk.

Morgan looked a cross between surprised, impressed, and amused at Wisp's comment vis-a-vis snakemen and the subway.

"Whoa, whoa, wait a sec. That was you? Damn, girl, I read about that one, you really kicked some teeth in there."

The teen chuckled, and stepped out of the way of the door, winking.

"Note, next time you head out looking for that kind of fun, bring me along too. Fomorians are all well and good, but a guy's gotta have some variety, y'know."

Vicky blushed profusely at the comment, "No, it wasn't just me. They picked a bad time. Citizen, Crusader, and Cannonade were in the same car as I was. I will admit I fared pretty well given the circumstances. I missed the local papers' writeups on the event. Any of them use a line along the lines of 'Snakes on a Train'?"

She leaned against the wall just inside the door waiting for Jan to join the mass trip to the office.

Janis threw the last bit of her stuff on the bed. "It can wait. Now, we don't all need to go. Vicky, we're going to be seeing each other a lot the next few months." she said with a big grin. "So why don't I go with Corbin?" She walked towards the door, and smiled her new friend. "Besides, it shouldn't take very long. I think I just have to sign some papers and maybe give him a demonstration of my powers. I'll be back soon though, okay roomie?"

Vicky looked at the floor and shuffled her feet. "Actually, I do need to go. I need to sign for some, ah, damage I accidentally caused in one of the science labs. Thankfully the flash-bang didn't ruin much but those windows did need replacing..."

Corbin couldn't help but chuckle at Vicky's reason for going.

"I suppose it could have been worse damage. Considering how much power some of us sling around sometimes, a couple busted windows sounds like nothing in comparison. So no big.

I'll just guide both of you, and I'm betting Morgan will come along as well."

He gave a grin at the other young man in the room, the one who was a bit distracted by the young ladies with them.

"So, off we go then."

With that, Corbin started walking down the hall, keeping his pace slowed enough the others should have no issues keeping up with him.

• 2 weeks later...

Janis quickly sprang from her bed and walked after Corbin. She smiled up at him, feeling rather short next to him. "So how are the classes here, Corbin? I did public school before I came here, so I guess I've never really been in a boarding school kind of deal like here." She cocked her head to one side as she remembered. "I never did like public school. Everyone's so...square! I know that's an out of date term, but that's the only way I can describe it. You guys are all so cool."

"Classes aren't radically different. Same subjects, mostly the same methods. It's just our classes are a lot smaller, and we've got a very solid staff here. Believe it or not, I actually went to public school for all my life until now. Granted, it was a "nice neighborhood" public school, but still."

He gives her a half-smile at being pronounced "cool".

"We try, I suppose. I knew a mix of good and bad people back in my other school. Left a few friends along the way...Of course, even here, not everyone is "cool" or even nice. It's just a smaller group of people, so there's fewer of them. Plus, more people here want to be heroes, so that means you have fewer genuinely bad people."