Shadow Dance [IC]

trollthumper

"The theatre district,"

Sil spoke up,

"That's my first guess at least, it has at least thirty active art galleries, as well as more than a dozen theatre houses. The local opera house and The Liberty Dome holds productions that rival Broadway in prestige and concerts that sell out weeks in advance usually. It is the place for creativity in the city and creative people, any artist who's anyone has a place or studio in that area."

Looking at the time,

"I can probably make some calls actually, know tons of people working out there see if they've had anything strange."

She thought about the type of artistic people that lived there,

"Well, stranger."

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Push bent over the map, looking at it and racking his brains. Spirit, thought, creativity, inventiveness. The whole city could stand for that, depending on your interpretation. He looked here and there, then sat back and stroked where his chin would be through the bandanna.

"Closest I can say would be...humm...somewhere in Downtown or North Freedom, I guess."

He indicated the districts on the map with his mug, looking at the others while he spoke.

"Ah, dangit. Sorry, I'm just guessing. FC's not my hometown, either way...Wail, you're an old pro, and you've lived here most of your life, right? Any thoughts?"

Wail stoked his greying beard with a meaty hand as he pondered, again given to slower, more deliberate consideration that younger heroes. "Hrm. Well, sounds like there's room for more than a little interpretation, but my guess? Some sucker's trying to make a giant pentagram or spell his initials in burning buildings, nine times out of ten, the last pin in the map's smack downtown." Leaving city-scale messages had been a mainstay of supervillainy over the years, and Freedom City had proven to be conspicuously well placed for harnessing all manner of convergent energies. "You said 'communication', makes me think the GBN building and all the other broadcasters. Fools love taking over television stations. 'Course, I remember when even a radio station was a big deal, before everybody had little music players..." The big man caught himself before he could digress any further.

"Downtown sounds like the best bet," Cannonade said. "Don't know about Parkside, but maybe City Center. I mean, it's the goddamn heart of Freedom -- City Hall, Freedom Hall, Pyramid Plaza... sounds like the big bundle of everything your guy's looking for."

"Those all sound like possibilities," Silver Whisper said, taking out a smart phone. "But there's one thing that would seal the deal..." She looked over the device for a few seconds before saying, "Parkside. That's where he is."

"What, you get the news on that? He issuing demands?"

"No. That's not to say the broadcaster isn't compromised, but Parkside has something that the other neighborhoods don't -- a Shinto shrine. Such temples have symbols representing a balance of the godai; he'll likely be using it to charge up his ritual."

"All right, then. Let's go deal with some ninja."

Push gave a rather wolvish grin on that one, and slowly got to his feet. Taking a couple of experimental steps, he checked the bandages and nodded.

"Give me a sec, I've got a little something that would've made our jobs a hell of a lot easier earlier..."

The kineticist walked over and threw another door open, revealing a rather messy-looking storage room with a big steel plate lying across an open space on the floor. Reaching to the side, he picked up an object and pulled it out, slinging it over his shoulder. The object was something both Silhouette and Cannonade were familiar with, an item that settled quite nicely on his shoulder, like it belonged there. Push held the haft of a futuristic-looking two-handed hammer in his hand, the buisness end glowing slightly as he hefted it.

"Oh yes. This will do quite nicely. And I really owe that Haru jerk some payback for wrecking my pirate costume. What say we go throw him a 'Welcome to Freedom City' party?"

"Right, Parkside it is, and since you are no longer bleeding and I don't really feel like using any more gas, I call shotgun on the flying bike."

She glanced over at Push,

"Well if that's alright with you I guess, it would probably be fastest if we're all going by air because there are no stoplights in the sky."

It took Wail a moment to parse that Push's piratical costume was only a costume, not his usual uniform, though it struck him in retrospect as likely for the best. Of course, in his day they'd managed just fine with their fists, but considering how woozy the younger man still looked, the broad-shouldered hero refrained from comment. "If Push can give an old man a lift again, fine by me," he told Silhouette agreeably, evidently ready to head out despite his relaxed manner, neither inclined to waste time talking nor to fret needlessly.

One combined car and motorcycle ride later, with Push keeping Wail aloft, the heroes arrived at the temple in Parkside. It certainly stood out from the high rises that dominated the area; standing in the shadow of a large condo building, it was a simple thing, with a red wood frame and a black, scalloped roof. Fountains in front of the temple filled the air with the sound of trickling water. But the sound was muted, unnaturally dampened, and the shadows that surrounded the temple seemed to loom long.

"This is the place," Silver Whisper said. "And he's already begun the preparations." She began to step towards the shrine, and Cannonade followed behind.

"Yeah, things do seem... weird, here. But maybe there's a chance he hasn't --"

Cannonade choked on his words, as the scent of carrion filled his nostrils. Silver Whisper cast a hand over to a nearby fountain, casting a long light over it; it hadn't been visible before, but a dismembered torso, obviously in the advanced stages of decomposition, lay in the water. "He's desecrated the temple," she said. "Purity is important in the faith. Blood, death, raw flesh -- these things are unclean, and bring disfavor in the eyes of the spirits. Inside will likely be as much of a mess; he's attempting to cow the shrine's patron spirit, break its will so he can call Amatsu-Mikaboshi using it as a conduit."

"So, it's gonna be a slaughterhouse inside. Great."

"But the work may not yet be completed. This shrine likely has a priest on duty, and --"

"Wait, wait. You think he's gonna sacrifice him to this dark god?"

"It's possible --"

"You really shoulda led with that one." Cannonade bullrushed the temple doors, crashing through wood and paper like they weren't even there. He was greeted with a darkened shrine, lit mainly by a bonfire that let off the smell of charring flesh. Before the fire stood a Japanese man in priest's robes with a katana held to his throat. The bearer of the katana, almost one with the shadows, turned to Cannonade.

As did fifty other heads. Even though he couldn't see everything, Cannonade clearly heard the sound of fifty katanas drawing as one.

"You are becoming an annoyance."

"Ain't that just the way?"

As cavalier as Cannonades entrance was, after landing Sil was simply no where to be found. Not to say that she wasn't moving, in fact the moment she saw the bodies and the fact that the last person was in fact going to be sacrificed, she was freaking booking it. She didn't even press up against the wall like usual, she just stealthily in her alternate form ran through a hoard of ninjas before grabbing Haru's arms and giving it a quick twist relieving him of his katana and tossing it to the ground.

"Cannonade, don't move!"

Cannonade felt a pressure on his shoulderblades as a foot pushed off of it, and the kineticist, having clad himself in his proper costume of scarf, longcoat, and wool cap back at the headquarters, launched himself off his comrade's back into the air above the small army of ninjas. It seemed crazy, suicidal...

"Hey, scumbag! Remember me?!"

Push clapped his hands together at the apex of the arc, then yanked them apart and held them outstretched to the sides, as a truly prodigious amount of energy orbs erupted from his body. With a grin that look a tad crazed underneath his scarf, he flung one hand in front of him, and a hail of blasts rained down upon the ninjas and Haru. As the small army virtually exploded into smoke and shadow, Push disappeared into the cloud beneath his feet. A few seconds and another pulse of energy, and the miasma was blown away, revealing the young man standing in the centre of a now very-clean temple floor. Taking a moment to pull the hammer off of his back and lean it on his shoulder again, he pointed a finger at Haru and spoke.

"You got thirty seconds to put your hands behind your head, start apologizing as fast as you can, and pay my dry cleaning bill for that costume you ruined, before we kick your ass up between your ears. I'd get started."

"You're proving quite troublesome," Haru said as the shadows rose around him, drawing him into their folds. "I would like to think my soldiers were made of sterner stuff. A pity. Osamu always was -- "

"Don't you dare say his name, you miserable wretch!" Silver Whisper's katana was out in an instant, gleaming with moonlight.

"I must have struck a nerve, Fumiko." The shadows swirled and took substance, reaching out at the heroes in the form of large twirling blades. "Hopefully that struck something more vital."

One blade caught Cannonade by the shoulder, but failed to pierce his skin. Indeed, the solid shadow chipped like obsidian when it touched his skin. "Neat trick," he said. "Guessing you're gonna play around in there 'til you feel like reaching out again. Not a bad idea." He clapped his hands together, a large clap of force tearing through the shrine and buffeting the shadows. He smiled as he heard a pained grunt emerge from the inside. "'Course, sometimes you don't even have to look."

With another flash of moonlight, Silver Whisper was gone. From inside the darkness, the sound of whirling steel echoed out. "Would you play the fool, Fumiko?" said Haru. "You're in my domain. I will find you..."

"I'm counting on it."

Wail didn't even attempt to dodge as a series of the inky blades impacted across his broad chest. Though not as resistant to damage as some metahumans, the big man had a lot of experience in taking a punch. Cracking his neck from side to side, the stepped forward with resounding footfalls. "Hah. You call that a shockwave, son? Let an old timer show you how we handled kung fu killers back in the day." Taking a deep breath, the aging hero let loose a torrent of sound, the bass vibrations rattling bones as he swept across the concealing shadows, catching their foe in a wide swath.

Moving quickly through the outburst of blades, Sil kept her arm on the temple owner whom she moved with her quickly to advert him from harm. In this effort, she got slightly grazed by the flying swords, but it was nothing serious as she deposited the priest to proper cover. As Wail's footfalls graced the stage with his own resounding attack Sil couldn't help but cast her sights over the limp bodies throughout the temple until her gaze met the forms of Haru and Whisper, neither of whom was hidden from her sights through the specialized mask. Keeping her flat form, Sil smiled though the expression was loss under her mask, she spoke to the brutal immortal,

"You know, I'm not exactly sure how you can claim the shadows as your domain, since you are missing a vital component of what it is to be a shadow."

Walking over she moved like she was going to pass him, but suddenly stopped and looked Haru straight in the eye, rushing forward she took her flattened hand and embedded it in his side,

"Afterall, there is no shadow without light, and you lost yours a long time ago."

Push took the blow clean, wincing as it blew through his field yet again and slashed across his shoulder. This time, though, he didn't reel and fall. This time, he stood tall. And this time, he grinned. A wolvish grin. The mutant kicked in his kinetic jets, launching himself into the air and shoving a hand into his coat.

"This time, you got nowhere to hide, Haru...let there be light!"

He yanked a small cylinder from his coat, clenching the pin between his teeth and tugging it out before throwing it towards the floor and plugging his ears, launching himself higher and hopefully out of the blast radius...

"Flashbang out! Cannonade, Wail, he's all yours!"

The burst of light tore away the shadows, leaving a reeling Haru standing in the center of the shrine. The man clutched at the sides of his head, as if trying to drive something out. "I have no need for the light!" he shouted. "No need for the patronizing light of the sun and the moon! I have seen the primordial shadow -- "

"Yeah, funny thing about not needing the light." Cannonade ran across the blood-slicked floor of the shrine and drove his fist right into the ninja's midsection, choking off the rest of his rant. "Apparently it doesn't need you either."

"You're correct in that regard." Silver Whisper stepped out of her illusion, her sword glowing with pale moonlight. The light soon filled the entire shrine with an eerie glow as the sword itself shined forth like a torch. "Your master may have made the night entire, Haru, But the world has light and structure now. And if his best instrument can't stand that little light -- " She flourished the katana, causing Haru to grimace. " -- then this world has no place for his likes."

"If you're providing the light," Wail began, stepping forward, an imposing form as be began to inhale deeply, "then I'll provide the NOISE!" The word bled into pure, unintelligible sound as the air between the aging hero and the reeling ninja roiled with visible vibration. The column of sonic force slammed into Haru like a wrecking ball, sending him flying backward but continuing to pound against him unabated until Wail finally relented, adjusting his sunglasses with a dismissive snort.

Haru went flying into the far wall in the shrine, landing with a sickening thud against the wooden crossbeam. He slumped to the ground, and tried to struggle to his feet. "You... you're too late," he said, the hideous, echoing cadence gone from his voice. "The August Star... comes... the way is made..."

He froze, his mouth hung open in a silent scream as the shadows lengthened around him. "Yes, Haru," said a second voice, thick as crude oil and crashing like a wave. "The way is made clear. But to WHERE?

"Master... you are here..."

"Yes... in this PRISON. This CAGE OF MEAGER FLESH. The shrine's god still holds. You FAILED, Haru."

"Please... please, Amatsu-Mikaboshi, listen -- "

"'PLEASE'? You DARE beg of me? You are an INSECT I should have GROUND TO BONES in Tokyo!" A silence hung over the room. "But... you have your talents. Let me see if I can put them to better use!"

"No." Silver Whisper stepped forward, her sword drawn. "He may be a bastard, but he is my friend. This is a matter between him and I. Leave, Amatsu-Mikaboshi. You know who watches over me."

"Yes. I do." There was a hideous cracking noise, and the wall behind Haru fell away into shadow as the wind began to rush out of the shrine. "And I think I would like to see his fury. Come, Haru. We have much work to do..."

Invisible hands grasped at Haru, dragging him deep into the shadows. "Please!" he cried. "Please, Fumiko! For all that we've done!"

Without a second to waste, Silver Whisper ran forward and grabbed Haru's hand. She struggled to maintain her balance, however, her feet dragging closer to the threshold. "Damn you, Haru!" she shouted. "You're not slipping away that easily!"

"Damn right he's not." Cannonade ran to her side, grabbing Haru by his other hand. His feet stayed rooted on the floor of the shrine, and he began to drag Haru out of the shadows. He cried back to the others, "Let's show this shadowy drama queen the door!"

Okay, so, whatever spirit/diety/something has a hold of Haru after he fails to do whatever twisted ritual he wanted done, and now everyone is grabbing on so he isn't dragged into the abyss of his own ironic hell.

Sil didn't really think to vocalize the thought process, but she had to wonder how a spirit would have a hold of Haru. Reaching down she grabbed one of the katanas and walked forward(because she wasn't going to attack anything with her own two hands she couldn't see). She was no kendo expert, but she ran a few steps and just a bit past Haru's legs sweep down the blade of the sword in a high arc to try and nick whatever got a hold of him.

Striding toward the shadows with heavy footfalls, Wail planted his feet as he neared the struggling villain, leaving deep imprints in the ground as he leveraged his full, superhuman mass. A broad hand fell securely on Cannonade's shoulder and another around the less stable Silver Whisper's waist, firmly anchoring all three of them and the plaintive Haru. "Hrnn," he grunted, setting his jaw along with the rest of him. "You're making me throw my weight around now, fool."

Push was the last man behind, the kineticist leaning on his hammer looking beaten half to hell. He stared at the struggle, a mixture of emotions playing out across his face; satisfaction changing to chagrin, then momentary doubt. He'd chased after fell sorcerers before, people who'd trafficked with dark powers. Haru was murdering scum, why not let Mikaboshi drag him to whatever dark corner of Old Night he willed? Why not let Haru reap what he sowed?

The mutant stayed, leaning on his hammer, and stared for a few seconds as the thoughts rolled through his head. Then, he sighed. And tapped his commlink. The roar of an engine sounded just outside the door, along with the screech of burning rubber.

"Oi. Mikey. Piss off."

From the doorway of the temple came a blaze of light as Lazarus roared up the stairs and caught air going through the entrance, crashing down beside Push and illuminating the struggle with it's headlights. Admittedly, it wasn't a very impressive light, but in the confines of the shrine and the crushing darkness of Mikaboshi, it might as well have been a beacon, the beam lighting up the heroes, Haru and whatever power was trying to seize him.

The beam cut through the darkened shrine, falling on the creeping shadow at the back. There was a hideous shriek from the god that lurked in the darkness, and its grip on Haru broke instantly, sending Silver Whisper, Cannonade and Push reeling back a few feet. The whispering gateway collapsed under the bombardment of the motorcycle's light, eventually vanishing into nothingness.

"What kinda god has trouble with highbeams?" said Cannonade. "Some great incarnation of darkness."

"He would have... blotted the sky," Haru said from his place on the floor. "Driven the sun and the moon from the sky, stormed Takamagaha and defiled the corpses of Amatersau-Omikani and Tsukiyomi-no-Mikoto. Created a sky entirely of cold stars -- his hundred thousand eyes."

"...and you're still carrying his water, despite the fact that a spotlight could kick his ass."

"I'm sorry, it's... him. You understand, being in the glory of the August Star of Heaven... sears something into you. Even as I dread him, his magnificence colors my every memory of him." He turned to Silver Whisper. "Fumiko... thank you. I... know I cannot make right what I have done -- "

"Truer words have never been spoken." Silver Whisper rested her hand on her katana. "I will not defile this shrine further with your blood -- it's seen enough for one night. But you must pay for the death of Osamu, and your other crimes."

Haru bowed his head. "...I understand."