Now You're Moving With Wormholes [IC]

January 14th, 2011, 2:45 pm

1313 Pelican Lane

"I'm sorry, sweetie. Mom didn't mean to step on your tail," apologized Fulcrum while holding up a treat. She hovered at ceiling level, while a royally angry cat growled from a corner beam. A rather scruffy cat at that, long haired, brown-and-black and very conspicuously missing a right eye. One that was having nothing to do with the treat or Mona.

The rest of the apartment looked no better than the cat. Boxes upon boxes were stacked in piles all around the place, each hastily marked with contents. Still more items sat on counter tops and table tops waiting for packaging. A massively over-sized mattress partially blocked the balcony doors.

Moving day had arrived. Fulcrum moving? Amazingly, yes. Although loathe to leave her beloved apartment, she agreed to move in with Viktor. But at the moment second thoughts drifted through her mind.

"This better damn well be worth it," she grumbled quietly.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though the temperature was only a few degrees below freezing, and a blanket of snow three inches deep covered everything, the sun shone clearly through the mostly-cloudless skies. So, too, did Doktor Archeville, flying over from his Hanover home to the soon-to-be-former home of his lover.

I can scarce believe this is finally happening!

He ad been helping her over the past few days with packing her belongings, though there were much that she insisted on doing herself. He had just returned from some last-minute prep at his place, and planned to enter via the balcony. Seeing that it was blocked by her mattress, he took an alternate route.

Mona felt the slight twinge of vertigo that she knew always accompanied his teleportations.

"All is ready on my end, liebchen! How much more is left to do here?"

Ohhh, she is going to be so surprised when she sees what I have done! I cannot wait to show her! Oh, I hope she likes it!

Archeville's entry startled Mona and freaked out Archimedes. He hissed towards the scientist and leaped into Mona's arms. Looking at the cat, Mona blinked in surprised before floating down. "Good to hear. Not too much left on my end. I need to check Archimedes' tail though. I stepped on it." Which she did so, but the cat seemed none the worse for wear.

Sitting the cat down, she gave Viktor a quick kiss before picking up another box. "A few kitchen boxes left. I'll have them done in a few minutes." Super speed was most pointedly not used for that delicate exercise. Real-time precision or not her favorite dishes would be protected.

"How's work?" she asked nonchalantly while wrapping bowls. Archimedes rubbed against Viktor and meowed, seemingly past the tail incident.

"Challenging," he said cheerfully, joining her in the kitchen -- and trying to avoid stepping on Archimedes! -- to help in wrapping glasses.

I will have to ask her how he lost his eye. I am sure I could clone a replacement for the little fella....

"Just got last quarter's finance reports in -- profits were on a downswing. We are still far in the black," he shrugged, "if nothing changes we will not have to start using red ink for at least five years. But, best to nip these problems in the bud before they get too big."

Should I tell her? Yeah, I will tell her!

"Which is why I am starting a new project for the company, exploring a few new revenue streams... one based on some ideas that you inspired!," he added with a devious grin.

Mona smiled to him as she continued packing, "Oh, what would that be?"

In truth nothing recalled to memory. At least nothing he mentioned to her. She wracked her brain, counting over their many conversations, but honestly, nothing still came to mind. Mentally she shrugged and waited for the big reveal.

One box down. The reason those particular dishes were favored seemed fairly obvious: their scale. They were scaled for the convenience of their over-sized owner. The standard dinner plates were big enough for jumbo pizzas. Whole.

Archimedes continued rubbing all around Viktor, demanding attention.

• 2 weeks later...

"Weeellllll..." he teased, pausing in his wrapping of the coffee mugs to bend down and scratch Archimedes behind the ears, "you tell me, liebchen: what series of inventions have you most directly inspired me to create?"

When he looked up from the cat to her, he had a very mischievous grin on his face. What could he be thinking? Power regulators? The ones Mona wore, disguised as fairly nice jewelry, had done a fine job keeping most of her energy discharges in check. There were likely several metahumans out there with similar problems, even those not touched by the Terminus, who needed help reigning in their powers. In fact, from what she'd heard, most metahumans experienced some problems with controlling their powers when they first manifested. Could this be it? A new line of wearable items that did not shut down one's abilities, but made them more controllable? That would certainly be useful, but the market for that would not be terribly large, especially since the Albright Institute and ASTRO Labs both has similar tech available for those who come in for help with their abilities. Viktor was giving the impression this was a wholly new market, one untapped by anyone.

Can she guess? We are often on the same wavelength for things. But even if she cannot, I will get to surprise her, and that will be just as fun!

Mona stared at Viktor, lines of concentration crinkling her brow. If she was honest with herself, the regulators came up first obviously. After that the list mainly comprised niche items: unique pigments, genetically engineered custom hair brushes, sculpting alloys, non-Newtonian fluid samples, etc.

And yes, the Albright Institute advertised their services enough for her know about their technology. In fact they'd been the number two choice when her problems arose. In hindsight she'd never have met Viktor if not for Dark Star's and Jack's recommendations. But otherwise she was stumped.

Unless he fixated on something she said in passing? Mona considered herself a decent muse but a bit scatterbrained for R&D. She did mention in passing about other people being able to view Earth from space. Perhaps a new vehicle for space tourism had been developed? Or perhaps that airship concept she sketched? The bio-engineered chairs that grow to fit your space and decor!? Oh, she hoped for that one...

Other than that were just a few personal inventions, like that nanite stuff he uses...

Meanwhile, Archimedes meowed and began clawing at his pant leg, probably accustomed to Mona's invulnerable skin or suit.

She leaned back and gave him a coy look. "Alright, I give. I could listen a dozen possibilities."

Note: look into making entire wardrobe out of the same materials as my Labcoat.

"I believe Archimedes just gave me another idea..." he said between gritted teeth. He reached into his labcoat, pulled forth his wondrous techno wand, the Electromagnetic Screwdriver, and set it to act as a cat-distracting laser pointer (with multiple colors and strobe patterns). Would Archimedes follow the multicolored strobing dot that appeared on the floor and was moving towards and up a wall? Who could say?!

"Alright, here is a big hint," he said, shifting back to the main topic. "It has to do with a series of inventions that we have tested -- primarily which I have tested on and with you -- focusing on the... challenges your metahuman physiology poses to certain... activities. Rather enjoyable activities...."

He could see comprehension beginning to dawn on Mona's face. Viktor's grin grew wider.

"Shoo! Leave him alone!" followed a gentle nudge to free Viktor from the cat's claws. "Sorry, sweetie. Did he hurt you?"

Archimedes, being a cat but no dummy, did indeed pounce and play with the laser pointer. He did not, very definitely, try to climb the wall after it. Sat there watching the strobing dot and occasionally looking back at Archeville. As if saying in irrefutable cat logic, that the dot needed to move down onto the floor again. Even if the cat didn't know the man was causing the dot to move!

Exactly as predicted, realization slowly dawned. To whit Mona slapped him playfully on the arm. After having a moment of utter shock and/or mental shutdown.

"Oh, hush you. None of that stuff would make any money!" Skeptical, yes, but the thoughtful look said otherwise.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much!

"Well, it is not be as big a market as the 'standard' multi-billion dollar adult entertainment industry, true," he said, distracting the cat with one hand while pulling out the flatware with the other, "simply due to the fact that the world metahuman population is a fraction of the sum total of Homo sapiens sapiens. But metahumans have the same desires and needs and urges as anyone else, but thus far there has been no market for them, to take the unique issues posed by their non-standard physiology."

"There are still several issues to work out, though much has already been done. You were the inspiration, the conditions I was all to happy to counter and contend with," the grinning, slim 5'10" scientist said to the 8'2" paragon who was strong enough to, with minimal effort, lift luxury cars over hear head. "And while working on our interactions, I could not help but think -- given how many metahumans I work with everyday -- how others would have comparable issues. I have scores of devices ready for market, and a few distributors in mind, but the biggest issue I am hitting now is how to advertise them, both in terms of where and when, and who (if any) 'poster boys' to get. Unfortunately, it is too late to go to this year's AEE, which would have been the ideal place to gather such information..."

And without my Other to get in the way, I could get some actual work done there!

"Well, if you say so. I'm not entirely sold, but that's why you're the business guru," she replied after a moment of silence and a handful of flatware. "I'll admit the idea is clever and the market untapped."

As for her inspiring him, did she actually blush for a moment? Regardless her face turned away, ostensibly to box their latest work. A big smile emerged, and she leaned down to give him a kiss. "I'm very glad you were all to happy. You are too I'm sure." Drawing up to her full height, she started on the bowls, each equally as massive as the plates. "You make a very good point though. We can't be the only couple with issues."

The full ramifications must have been settling with her, as her voice rose in excitement. "This product line could help so many metahumans! Having a normal life is difficult enough without any sort of sexual dysfunction. Marketing will be tricky though. You're right there. Many would be quite leery of shopping for something in the line unless they're guaranteed privacy. I mean metahuman attitudes are just as varied as other people's, but they have the extra burden of media scrutiny and secret identities."

"I'm sure we can find some contacts that could help with market research. Maybe even some test groups among some of the local heroes? If nothing else the surprised looks would be priceless." One more box packed away. "Ever consider writing a book?"

Archeville's smile broke into a full belly laugh, "oh, the looks on some of their faces when I tell them would alone be worth the considerable money I have put into this project!"

Daedalus, Johnny Rocket, Lady Liberty, and Siren would probably be okay with it all, may even have some suggestions, but Captain Thunder would likely flip out! Not sure how Bowman, Raven, or Star Knight would react, I could see them falling into either side of the issue. No clue how Doctor Metropolis or Pseudo would react.

"And," his laugh died down, "while the market would not be very large, the issues in it would potentially be more severe than typical. Though I am certain I can expand some of the technologies for use by non-metahuman couples, who wish for new experiences..."

He bent down to retrieve the cooking pots and pans from the lower shelves, keeping up the light show so Archimedes did not get tempted to hop into a pot. "Discretion would be a vital component, yes, moreso than for the 'standard' goods. Which is one factor to consider when approaching potential distributors. Unless... I have ArcheTech itself handle the distribution, teleporting items to the branch nearest the client's given address, and have them come pick it up. As for the 'face' of the new line... well," he chuckled, "I could probably count on Ace Danger for help!"

She does like the idea! Yaaay!

"A book? Hrrmmm..." He seemed lost in thought for a moment, "I had actually not considered that, but... well, flight certainly provides new angles... a metahuman companion for the Kama Sutra? There are definite ideas there..." he said, his grin returning.

"That's what I was thinking actually. A general product line would be nice, but so many powers have unique problems. You may have to consider custom consults or designs." Left unsaid were their own problems that couldn't be solved with technology.

The choice in spokesman made her snicker. "He'd probably do it pro bono too. Sounds like the kind of project he'd do just to tweak some noses. Really he may be a good choice anyway. His pedigree and reputation are good balance of credibility and social liberalism, if only because I can't think of another term."

"Probably be most cost effective to have ArcheTech handle distribution directly. On the other hand, the world is chalk full of prudes, honey. I wouldn't want ArcheTech to suffer because some moralizer decided to take pop shots at an 'easy' target. Especially after you invested so much into the project. Maybe a dedicated subsidiary or buyout would work better?"

Meanwhile Archimedes chased the mobile lightshow. He seemed to enjoy every moment of it, but that did not stop him from eyeballing the packing. Thankfully, the dots proved more entertaining, leaving the pair to work undisturbed.

Archeville nodded, "customization and personalization are certainly hallmarks of the industry, I had taken that into account. I have even looked into setting up some courses for sex educators and therapists for handling metahuman cases, so they can offer their counseling services to a wider clientele. Dr. Ruth has already signed on to help! I got her number when we marched as Grand Marshals in the German-American Steuben Parade in New York City last September. Now if only Sue Johanson would return my calls..."

Ah, that reminds me, opening of a Hofbräuhaus in New York City on March 7th, near Grand Central Station. I had promised Dr. Möller, CEO of Hofbräuhaus München/Germany -- who was also a Grand Marshal at the GASP -- that I would attend the opening.

"A new subsidiary would probably be best," he said as he put the last of the baking sheet away. "I prefer not to buy out companies -- my critics are quick to make comparisons between me buying out other companies and the Nazis 'buying out' Poland and France. Besides, making a new subsidiary would create new jobs, which would certainly be welcome in this economy!"

He looked about the room, "I believe utensils and cookbooks are all that remains? Food?"

"Great idea! You really think of everything don't you?" Fulcrum chuckled lightly and rummaged through the remaining cabinets. "Although I've never heard of Sue Johanson."

From under a far nook emerged a big (and very dusty) box of cookbooks. Flipping through one put enough dust in the area to undue whatever cleaning had already commenced. "Yeah...cookbooks pre-boxed!" and added to the pile.

"Creating jobs would be thoughtful, Viktor. Assuming that would also be good for the company. I worry about your newfound optimism sometimes, regardless of how level-headed I know you to be." she said while browsing the frig. A mostly empty frig at that. In fact the cupboards looked quiet bare.

"Really though you've done more than enough to counteract your granddad's legacy. What's 'Mind your own business' in German?"

Archeville's eyes lit up when he saw the box of cookbooks. "Oh! Were those something passed down from your parents? Or from your own shopping? They, uh," he ran a finger over the lid, leaving a trail in the dust, "they do not seem to have been used in a while." He turned and gave her a wink; it was good for both of them that he approached cooking with the same enthusiasm and joy as chemistry and physics.

If they are, I bet I could cook some of the dishes in there for her! Maybe even some for her folks... whenever she introduces me to them!

He switched gears again, "ah, Sue, Sue Johanson. Lovely woman; started out as an RN. Opened one of the first birth control clinics in Canada, back in 1972, and later earned degrees in counseling and sex education." He floated to the center of the room and spun around slowly, giving the place a visual scan. "She had a popular radio show for many years, and that was later turned into a tv show, but a few years ago she went back to focusing on radio. She's written some books, does tours, even has her own line of sex toys. And she was appointed to the Order of Canada, one of that nation's highest honors, due to all her work work educating and informing the public about birth control and sexual health... which made a lot of right-wingers quite upset," he chuckled.

She is a busy woman! No wonder she has been slow to return my calls! Although... if I happened to be near her studio when she was broadcasting a show... and I happened to just walk in... hee hee!

He floated back down, eye-level with her, and reached out to brush one of her ears with his fingertips. "Oh, and the German for 'mind your own affairs' would be 'Kümmern Sie sich um Ihre eigenen Angelegenheiten.' Well, that is the formal phrase; a more informal one would be 'Kümmere dich um deine eigenen Angelegenheiten'. A more vulgar phrase would be..." he smirked and winked, "eh, I will tell you later."

"Yes, well, I haven't been cooking much the last year. About the time we met actually," she said in reply before contemplating Viktor's description of Johanson. Although a bit was added, "Feel free to use them. Most are my own, but those top two handwritten ones are from my mother." That connection did not receive elaboration.

Her eyes lit up and she tweaked his nose. "I do remember her! Yes, a few nutters have ranted about her recently. You're right. Wonderful woman. Read a couple of her books if I remember right." Floating up she retrieved two decorative pots. "Pissing off the right-wing moralizers means she is doing her job right." A barely audible grumble sounded faintly like rat bastards.

As to his translation, she just laughed, "Ha! I'll just look it up myself."

Archeville's eyes widened at word of handwritten cookbooks. He took one and reverently went through it. "Oh my..."

Yes, I shall definitely have to try some of these!

The tweaking of his nose brought him out of the culinary reverie. As she floated up to retrieve the decorative pots, he moved to the balcony doors and examined the Queen-plus size mattress propped against them. He suddenly turned and looked up to her, "oh, your artwork! Do you have any pieces here which will require special care in transit?"

A lot of stuff! About 10,000 pounds... but I should still be able to create a teleport sphere big enough to get all of it in one go. I cannot wait to see the look on her face when she realizes what I am going to do!

The cookbooks ranged in contents across a broad specimen of cultures. A few recipes were typically "American" fare, yes, but Iranian and ethnic Persian cooking dominated the majority. At least among those recipes he could decipher. At least half were written in Persian! Among the English entries, two names appeared again-and-again: Afareen and Ava. She may not have used these books recently, but judging by their position atop the pile, they held sentimental value.

As far as his reaction to the cookbooks, a little smile crept up her face as she retrieved the copper decorations. She shook her head, "Don't worry about my artwork. I have everything properly packed up in that big crate over there," she said while pointing to a wooden shipping crate.

The pots stowed away, she gave the place one last overview. "That's about it." A sigh before continuing, "I'm going to miss this place. Your robot gorilla butlers more than make up for that though."

Archeville chuckled, "see, that is how I knew you were a keeper: you dig my robot apes."

They are cool! And so is she!

"Well, if that is all, then," he reached into his labcoat pocket and withdrew his Electromagnetic Screwdriver, a gadget that may as well be a magic wand for all he could do with it, "now comes the really tricky part. By which I mean, 'the really cool part where I get to show off in front of my lover'," he added with a wink.

A minor symphony of beeps and whistles issued from the gadget as his fingers ran over the controls. As he worked he slowly floated up to the center of the apartment. "You know the transporters at ArcheTech? They are based on the tech I developed for my Gravimetric Belt." He pressed a few buttons along the side of his belt, and a panel popped open, "I typically use my Belt just to transport myself, but I can use this to do area and bulk transports, especially once I amp it up with this." He pulled a cable from the Screwdriver and plugged it into the Belt, and their beepings and flashings began to sync up. "Now, my place -- soon to be our place," he said with large smile, "is about four miles from here, and this place is so many cubic feet... and you have so many thousand pounds of stuff to move... and moving it all to a very large room I set aside just for this purpose..."

This is gonna be great!

"Double check the safeguards to make sure I do not nab anything from the neighbors... or parts of anything from the neighbors... or parts of the neighbors...."

An invisible, inaudible pulse of energy went out, a radar-like wave pinging the outline of the apartment to make sure only the things and people inside it were transmitted via the wormhole the Belt would be generating. Unfortunately, this same wave disabled certain components in the power dampers Mona wore, the effects of which would be felt very, very soon.

".... annnd here we go!" At the press of a button, a pinpoint of blue-grey light formed from the Belt, expanding out to fill the apartment. As it neared Mona, wisps of crimson energy lashed out from her, somehow both mixing with and remaining distinct from the blue of the teleport field.

No! Her Terminus energies are interfering with the wormhole -- but how?

Archeville's eyes went wide, "Mooonaaa!"

That was all she heard; the light was too intense for either of them to see.

January 14th, 2011, 3:00 pm

1313 Pelican Lane

It was as if an angry god had reached out and twisted the two of them, a whirlwind erupting as energies from the warped portal enveloped them both. Then, as swiftly as the malestrom began, it winked out, leaving an empty room behind. Archimedes emerged from his hiding place, pawing over to where the two had been standing, and mewed plaintively.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sixth of Frost

Schlafnacht

Forest of Tears

All was silent in the Forest, not even an owl's hoot disturbing the pitch-black night. It was Schlafnacht, which meant all would be quiet. At least, that's what the locals hoped as they closed and barred their windows and doors, refusing to look at the border of trees that seemed to edge closer to the village as the sun dipped lower and lower in the sky.

In the middle of the Forest, however, the silence was suddenly broken in a small snow-coved clearing. Without warning, a chill wind whipped up as what appeared to be a tear in reality cracked open. Within seconds, a pair of individuals fell out and into the white fluff, the first in a labcoat, and the second in regular apparel, the second landing heavily atop the first. All was silent and dark again as the crack sealed shut and the winds died down, the only light illuminating the clearing being a pale shine from the moon above.

Having teleported several times using Viktor's system, Mona felt self assured as to what was coming next. He'd widen a wormhole, or whatever he called those inter-dimensional transit points, scoop up all her belongings and poof! All that remained was the vertigo. Until she heard the click.

The yellow reboot light on her right bracelet blinked in warning. "Viktor!" she squeaked out just as the telltale flush of Terminus radiation tingled her skin. Wearing the dampers felt like listening to a car with a muffler. Without the muffler, the machine made a lot of noise. The engine, somehow vicious if devote of agency, decided that it didn't like Viktor's energy field.

Not at all.

Certain details became apparent. One, she'd been nearly blinded by the flash of red-blue light. Two, shadowed snow and trees greeted her slowly adapting eyes. Three, the temperature dropped considerably. Probably meant the portal, as she could guess, opened abnormally and dumped her out in the middle of a forest in the middle of the night. And on top of a log to add insult to injury.

"Viktor?" she whispered, flexing a shoulder muscle and thus bouncing up to her feet. Her stance guarded, she scanned the area. Until the "log" groaned. Hauling him up by his shoulders, she bear hugged him. "Are you okay? What happened?"

The whoosh of a capacitor and the green light reappeared on her bracelet, albeit with intermittent flickers.

"Liebchen," he gasped from under the force of her overenthusiastic hug, "... my bones... and... organs... ack!"

Once released, he staggered a bit, regaining solid footing after a moment. "Well, pretty sure we are not dead, because I am in far too much pain to have left my physical body." He stretched, looked around, and watched his breath in the air.

So cold!

He walked over to the nearest tree, "looks like pine, smells like pine...."

Then he looked up, taking a few steps backwards to get a good view of the night sky. "and those are all the constellations that should be up there... so we should still be in the Northern hemisphere. Maybe a few hundred miles north, into Quebec..."

Strange, this place feels so familiar...

He looked around again, "er... did you see where your stuff went?"

Freedom City, Earth-Prime

"Did you find out what set off the alarm?," the security guard yelled over the blaring klaxons going off in the security station.

"Not yet, ma'am," the junior officer replied, "but we've-"

The alarms silenced, and the monitor screens all flickered. A new image appeared, readouts neither officer was familiar with.

"Uhhh..."

The senior officer swore, "get one of the techies in here, they can- oh. Ohhh..."

Amidst the streams of data, two lines stood out in stark, bold font

DIMENSIONAL BREACH DETECTED

and

ELECTROMAGNETIC SCREWDRIVER SIGNAL LOST

A great relief came over her at his health and only increased upon hearing the blasted dampers power up.

"Sorry, Viktor! I was worried I'd lost you. What happened? Beyond the obvious?" Mona too looked around at their strange new location. She took hold of his hand, "Of course we're not dead. We wouldn't be talking would we?"

As to the location, she shook her head, "True but why night time? Last I checked the time was mid afternoon." She checked her watch. Clicked away normally. "3:04 by my time. Do you think we displaced in time too?" Wouldn't be the first time something like that had happened to her.

"Better yet. How about we take a look from a higher vantage." Glancing up at said constellations, several twinkling stars blotched out suddenly. "Crap!" A blur bounced around the clearing, throwing up wakes of snow as her falling boxes reappeared in a neat pile.

She was worried! Oh, she takes such good care of me...

He squeezed her hand and smiled. "Possible," he said in response to her comment on time displacement, "since my wormholes can -- theoretically -- breach time as well as space. But that is not necessarily what happened: we could have merely been shunted to the other side of the planet. Perhaps to Russia, or one of the Scandinavian countries."

I have been meaning to visit them, set up ArcheTech facilities there. Perhaps this turn of events will not be a complete loss?!

"And if we are in those, that is not so bad, as I know a few folks scattered about there. As for what happened... well, I am not sure exactly," he held up the sputtering, smoking Screwdriver, "and cannot figure it all out for certain until I get this fixed. Which will be much easier if we can find a city."

"Better yet. How about we take a look from a higher vantage."

"My thoughts exactly, lieb- ah!" The sudden arrival of her belongings startled him as much as her.

Why the time delay? Odd... but it is good they made it! Though this poses some problems, too...

He stared at her life strewn about them for a moment. "Well... upside is, they all made it in one piece, undamaged, and everything seems to be here. Downside... is that we will need to find some way to schlep it all to wherever it is we are going to g-"

Noise!

He shifted to a defensive stance, and was surrounded by the blue glow of his force field. "Something is coming... that way... moving fast... and I came prepared to move furniture, not engage in battle..."