Geez3r's Bag of Tricks

Geez3r

So as long as I'm back, I may as well dust off my old thread here.  I'm going to be keeping everything from the old thread here, but a lot of the links don't work, and I may not be able to track them all down.  So repairs are in progress, but don't expect miracles. 

Also note the date on many of these old builds.  As of this writing, they're all about 2 years old, meaning they were made with a different set of House Rules than we have now.   Don't take anything I've got written here as gospel; it isn't.  Everything in here is solely my opinion.  Things you can do when making a Mutants and Masterminds character don't necessarily match up to things you can do when making a character for FC:PbP.

So I wanted to do a new series of builds. Across all of the character building threads, we most often see PL 10 characters. Thats all fine and dandy, they are of course the most common, both in the genre and in the site. But for one reason or another, you may want a build of a higher PL. You may want to benchmark your own PC against them, or you want an NPC to use in a thread.  So what I'm doing to do with this series of builds is make each of the archetypes at PL 10, and then advance them to each additional PL. Every increase in PL will be based on the build before it. I'll highly the changes in blue so that you can tell at a glance what was changed from the last build. I will however be staggering out the progression slightly. Each build will have 20pp more than the one before it, so that they would have effectively hit PL 15 once they hit our 250pp cap.

New Table of Contents

Maxima - PL 13 - 215pp

Maxima - PL 14 - 250pp

Captain Atom

Advanced Battlesuit PL 10 (150pp)

Advanced Battlesuit PL 11 (170pp)

Advanced Battlesuit PL 12 (190pp)

Advanced Battlesuit PL 13 (210pp)

Advanced Battlesuit PL 14 (230pp)

Advanced Battlesuit PL 15 (250pp)

Advanced Martial Artist PL 10 (150pp)

Advanced Martial Artist PL 11 (170pp)

Advanced Martial Artist PL 12 (190pp)

Advanced Martial Artist PL 13 (210pp)

Advanced Paragon PL 10 (150pp)

Advanced Paragon PL 11 (170pp)

Advanced Paragon PL 12 (190pp)

Advanced Paragon PL 13 (210pp)

Advanced Paragon PL 14 (230pp)

Advanced Paragon PL 15 (250pp)

Blockbusters:

Build Notes and Discussion:

Blockbuster Primer 1

Orange Tier Blockbusters

Citizen - One of Us

>Cyborg Slayers - Eighty-Six

Double-Dash - The Lightspeed Trickster

Kallig - The Devil You Know

Mesmero - The Man in Black

Recon - The Golden Eye

T-Wrecks - The Killing Machine

Red Tier Blockbusters

Count Dracula - The Sire of All Vampires

The Harvester - Reaper of the Void

Helixa - Queen of the Stars

Kaiju Kong - The Typhoon Terror

Black Tier Blockbusters

OMEGA - The Murderer of Centurion

The Porcelain Empress - The Light in the Darkness

Everything from the old thread is spoiled here. 

Alright, everyone else is doing it. I might as well do it too. But what value do I add by making a character thread? I can't match AA's outlandish ideas, Ecal's simple and intuitive builds or Shaen's utter mastery of the rules. What I have been complemented on however is how focused my builds tend to be. My characters have always tended to find some niche somewhere and utterly dominate that niche, but without compromising the integrity of the character as a whole. But making a character is doing so much more than making a superior stack of numbers as compared to your foes. If your goal is to outdo your peers as well, then you are completely missing the point of the site. That's not something people grasp right away. It's something I myself have only recently grasped. That's why I've started to tone down my characters or otherwise remodel them.

Furthermore, I find it impossible to really make a PL 10/ 150pp character that's not an actual character. Without a soul behind the numbers, the numbers mean nothing. Any well put together characters requires 2 attributes on the part of the designer: optimization and focus. Optimization governs your ability to spend points efficiently, while focus lets you know what traits you should be advancing. One is useless without the other.

So what the heck am I going to do here? Basically, I want to sort of illustrate my thought process when making characters. As of right now, I plan to illustrate the following:

A concept that requires ruthless optimization to pull off
The importance of what's not on the character sheet
How back story and concept can radically alter a build
When "good enough" really is good enough

Do I think I will succeed? Heck no. But I'm going to try anyways.

Table of Contents

Design Philosophy

Essay on Super-Strength & Power Feats

Amalgam - Bringing out the best in other people, for her own use.
Angry Ring Bearer - Time to burn everything around you, for the Evluz.
Battlesuit- Classic - Somethings never get old... because you kill them first.
Battlesuit - Ground Based - Up, up and away is overrated.
Battlesuit - Mass Driver - Who needs bullets when you can punch someone with gravity?
Build Up Power House - You won't like me when I'm angry.
Brawler - Proving that a brick is not merely a measure of how much you can bench
Brick with a Bankroll/ Bible - The same core power mechanics adapted to different backstories and outlooks on life
Captain Man - An Amalgam of Superman and Captain America.
Chimera - A curious collection of carnivorous creatures
Double Standard - A team player and a buttkicker in one convenient package

Glacier - Ice giant, energy controller, scientist. 
Gritty Urban Badass - I got no excuse, I just like this type of character.
Gun Bunny - Get your weeaboo on.
Inque - Get her before she disappears.
Kaiju Titan - My attempt at making a character with Growth that isn't completely broken.
Martial Artist - Don't knock my "fancy karate gimmicks" or I'm gonna knock you on your keester.
Mecha Paragon - Go Go Gadget Boot to the Head
Oni - Batman who stayed in the Far East for a few more years
Phantom - Now you see me, now you don't.
Rev - Being a speedster doesn't mean you can circle the earth every second
Shatter Point - Making Deflect useful... kind of.
The Cape - Screw you; Truth, Justice and the American way is iconic for a reason.
The Stig - Some say that Geez3r ripped off the Oddballs thread.

T-Wrecks- Screw the plot, giant fight scene time.

Volcana - A build showing the importance of what's not on the sheet.  Also featured: burning. 
Warrior God - Having fun with descriptors and alternative character interpretations
Weapon Master - Archer - Master of an ancient form of combat, and smart enough to carry high explosives
Wraith - What stalks the night isn't entirely human

Note: The statements and opinions expressed herein are solely those of Geez3r and do not automatically constitute official/canonical statements or necessarily reflect the views of the other Moderators and Admins. -Dr Archeville

Edited by Geez3r
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glacier

artifacts__the_glacier_stone_by_johntyle

Abilities: 0 + 0 + 4 + 0 + 0 + 0 = 4PP
Strength: 10/30 (+0/+10)
Dexterity: 10 (+0)
Constitution: 14/18/32 (+2/+4/+11)
Intelligence: 10 (+0)
Wisdom: 10 (+0)
Charisma: 10 (+0)

Combat: 14 + 8 = 22PP
Initiative: +0
Attack: +7, +11 unarmed (-1 Size modifier)
Grapple: +23
Defense: +7 (+4 Base, +3 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed (-1 Size modifier)
Knockback: -11, -18 w/powers

Saving Throws: 2 + 3 + 5 = 10PP
Toughness: +7/+14 (+4/+11 Con, +3 Protection) 10 Impervious
Fortitude: +6/+13 (+4/+11 Con, +2)
Reflex: +3 (+0 Dex, +3)
Will: +5 (+0 Wis, +5)

Skills: 60R = 15PP
Diplomacy 8 (+8)
Intimidate 15 (+17)
Knowledge (physical Sciences) 10 (+10)
Knowledge (Technology) 10 (+10)
Notice 9 (+10)
Sense Motive 8 (+8)

Feats: 10PP
All Out Attack
Attack Specialization (unarmed) 2
Dodge Focus 3
Luck 2
Power Attack
Startle

Powers: 31 + 21 + 4 + 5 + 31 = 92PP
Ice Giant Container 6 PF: Innate [31pp]
Growth 4 Extras: Permanent {12pp}
+8 Strength
+4 Constitution
+2 Intimidate
+4 Grapple Checks
+5 Carrying Strength
-1 Combat Size modifier
-4 Stealth Checks

Density 6 Extras: Permanent {18pp}
+12 Strength
+ 3 Protection, +3 Impervious
Super-Strength 2
Immovable 2
x5 Mass

Enhanced Constitution 14 Extras: Impervious 7 [21pp]
Flight 4 Flaws: Platform [4pp]
Immunity 5 (Cold Damage) [5pp]

Ice Manipulation Array 14 (28pp; 3 AP's) [31pp]
* BE: Snare 14
* AP: Create Object 12 Extras: Permanent (+0); PF's: Innate, Progression 3 (12 25' cubes)
* AP: Drain Toughness 14 Extras: Affects Objects (+1)
* AP: Environmental Control 7 (Extreme Cold & 1/4 movement; 500ft.)

Drawbacks: (-3) = -3PP

Vulnerability (+50% DC to Fire effects; common, moderate) [3pp]

DC Block:

Unarmed -------- DC 25 Toughness (Staged) ----- Damage
Snare ----------- DC 24 Reflex (Staged) ----- Snare
Drain Toughness -------- DC 24 Fortitude (Staged) ------ Drain

Abilities (4) + Combat (22) + Saving Throws (10) + Skills (15) + Feats (10) + Powers (92) - Drawbacks (3) = 150/150 Power Points

NOTES

To start us off, we've got the character that required ruthless optimization.

My vision for this character is that he's a scientist who really isn't all that skilled. Not that he believed that of course. He believed he was the greatest scientific mind of this generation. He just needed something to prove it. Sad thing was, no one would give him funding. So he got desperate and experimented on himself. Things didn't go well. It was only after he transformed himself into some sort of monster that he realized the flaws in his methods, as it was the first time he had irrefutable proof of his failure. And in a bit of irony, he wasn't skilled enough to figure out the particulars of the experiment so he couldn't duplicate it or reverse it. But unlike so many of his peers, he didn't see this as a defeat. He saw it as an opportunity. If he couldn't be recognized for his scientific accomplishments, he would be recognized for his heroics. Plus you can't do ice puns as a villain. The good ones at least.

This character wears a lot of different hats. He's a pretty good brick, a half decent scientist, and he has a few debuff powers to tag along with it too. This is also my idea of the pinnacle of a M&M character; you can practically hear the budget straining to contain everything the build wants to do. You just have to be very cut and dry about what exactly you want the character to do. What are you willing to compromise in the name of concept?

He's a pretty good brick, with a lifting capacity of 45 or a subway car. He's also quite a bit more accurate with his fists than people would likely think given his size. His Create Objects power models him making honest to god walls of ice. It's real ice and it will likely stick around unless it's melted by some outside force because he's got no control over it once its made. His Drain is dropping the temperature of the target rapidly, which can be used with more impunity on objects than people. If I were to play this character, I would likely spend my first couple of power point in abilities as that was the part I had to cut most drastically. Skills and feats would hardly go amiss either.

One of the easier ways to customize this character is to shift the accuracy/damage relationship between his ability to hit things and his ice powers. Taking 2 ranks from Ice Manipulation, adding 4 ranks to Strength, and shifting one of the Attack Specializations to Ice Manipulation will do the trick. Do it again to make his hitting things ability the primary damage dealer, with the IM being the accurate supplement. Edited by Geez3r

Volcana

artifacts__the_ember_stone_by_johntylerc

Abilities: 0 + 6 + 6 + 0 + 2 + 6 = 20PP
Strength: 10 (+0)
Dexterity: 16 (+3)
Constitution: 16 (+3)
Wisdom: 12 (+1)
Charisma: 16 (+3)

Combat: 12 + 8 = 20PP
Initiative: +3
Attack: +6, +8 fire powers
Grapple: +6
Defense: +8 (+4 Base, +4 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed
Knockback: -1, -6 w/ powers

Saving Throws: 3 + 5 + 9 = 17PP
Toughness: +3/+12 (+3 Con, +9 Forcefield)
Fortitude: +6 (+3 Con, +3)
Reflex: +8 (+3 Dex, +5)
Will: +10 (+1 Wis, +9)

Skills: 68R = 17PP
Acrobatics 12 (+15)
Bluff 15 (+18)
Concentration 12 (+13)
Diplomacy 9 (+12)
Notice 9 (+10)
Sense Motive 11 (+12)

Feats: 9PP
Challenge (Fast Feint)
Dodge Focus 4
Luck 2
Move By Action
Power Attack
Set Up

Powers: 40 + 10 + 9 + 6 + 1 = 66PP

Fire Manipulation Array 18 (36pp; 3AP's) PF: Accurate [40pp]
* BE: Blast 12 Extras: Autofire
* AP: Blast 12 Extras: Concentration
* AP: Drain Toughness 12 Extras: Affects Objects (+1), Ranged
* AP: Energy Aura 8

Flight 5 (250mph, 2500fpr) [10pp]
Force Field 9 [9pp]
Immunity 6 (fire damage, suffocation in smoke rich environments) [6pp]
Super-Senses 1 (Infravision) [1pp]

Drawbacks: (0) = -0PP

DC Block:

Unarmed -------- DC 15 Toughness (Staged) ----- Damage
Snare ----------- DC 24 Reflex (Staged) ----- Snare
Drain Toughness -------- DC 24 Fortitude (Staged) ------ Drain

Abilities (20) + Combat (20) + Saving Throws (17) + Skills (17) + Feats (10) + Powers (66) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/150 Power Points

NOTES

The other side of the elemental coin to my Glacier build. This character is rather defined by their powers rather than their other facets from a mechanical perspective. About all you can associate about the character from the mechanics is that they have a silver tongue and get a good read on other people. There are things you can inference about the character from the build however, or rather what is absent: there are no area of effect attacks. That is ordinarily a very large oversight for a Blaster type character. But the problem is: fire is still fire once the effect is over with. This character avoids throwing around fire balls because they also don't possess the basic "Fire Control" power. They could easily stunt either of these powers, but it is not something they are used to. Maybe they're still not used to their powers? Perhaps they had a bad accident previously and don't want to repeat that incident.  Or maybe, their powers don't allow them to control the flames at all.  They can set fires and maintain them, but they can't put them out.  But the point of it all is something I want to illustrate with these builds: what's not on the sheet is sometimes just as important as what is.

Other than that, nothing too special about this build. I see it performing as a Striker sort of play style. You are quite skilled at dealing with a single target. You can use the Concentration blast to mimic someone staying on fire, or a fire that's difficult to put out. It'll eat your Standard Action to be sure, but think of it as a grapple at range. You're pretty darn good at feinting your foes, use Set up to help your allies out while you focus down one foe. Edited by Geez3r

Brick with a Bankroll

ms_marvel_by_daimida-d34qv2m.png

Abilities: 10 + 4 + 10 + 2 + 2 + 4 = 32PP
Strength: 20/40 (+5/+15)
Dexterity: 14 (+2)
Constitution: 20/34 (+5/+12)
Intelligence: 12 (+1)
Charisma: 14 (+2)

Combat: 6 + 8 = 14PP
Initiative: +2
Attack: +3, + 5 Melee
Grapple: +12, + 28
Defense: +5 (+4 Base, +1 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed
Knockback: -7, -18 with powers

Saving Throws: 0 + 1 + 6 = 7PP
Toughness: +5/+15 (+5/+12 Con, +3 Protection)
Fortitude: +5/+12 (+5/+12 Con, +0)
Reflex: +3 (+2 Dex, +1)
Will: +7 (+1 Wis, +6)

Skills: 72R = 18PP
Bluff 11 (+13, +17 w/ Attractive)
Diplomacy 11 (+13, +17 w/ Attractive)
Intimidate 15 (+17)
Knowledge (business) 14 (+15)
Notice 9 (+10)
Sense Motive 12 (+13)

Feats: 16PP
All Out Attack
Attack Focus Melee 2
Attractive
Benefit 4 (Fame, Wealth 3)
Dodge Focus
Interpose
Leadership
Luck 2
Power Attack
Startle
Ultimate Toughness

Powers: 20 + 14 + 13 + 2 + 4 + 10 = 63PP

Enhanced Strength 20 [20pp]
Enhanced Constitution 14 [14pp]
Protection 3 Extras: Impervious Toughness 10 [13pp]
Flight 1 [2pp]
Super-Strength 2 [4pp]
Power Reserve 5 (Flight, Super-Strength) [10pp]

Drawbacks: (-0) + (-0) = -0PP

DC Block:

Unarmed (unpowered) -------- DC 20 Toughness (Staged) ----- Damage
Unarmed (powered) ----------- DC 30 Toughness (Staged) ----- Damage

Abilities (32) + Combat (14) + Saving Throws (7) + Skills (18) + Feats (16) + Powers (63) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/150 Power Points

NOTES

Alright, this is a popular archetype: the Flying Brick. But I've made a few modifications to it. Firstly, this character is a brick that happens to fly. Even at their fastest, they still have a carrying capacity of 50, that's enough to heft a semi. They are also missing many of the tricks that Paragon characters tend to have. No super-senses, no laser eyes. In it's place, I made them a savvy business person with a real knack for closing million dollar deals, and a bank account to prove it. Basically: what would Superman be like with Bruce Wayne's bank account. This character realizes that some problems can be solved by throwing punches. They also realize that some problems can be solved by throwing money at them. The Fame Benefit reflects their well known philanthropic nature. This is a character that doesn't stop being a hero just because they take off the cape. Edited by Geez3r

Brick with a Bible

ms__marvel___by_johntylerchristopher-d37

Abilities: 10 + 4 + 10 + 2 + 2 + 4 = 32PP
Strength: 20/40 (+5/+15)
Constitution: 20/34 (+5/+12)

Combat: 6 + 8 = 14PP
Attack: +3, + 5 Melee
Grapple: +10, +22 w/powers, +28 with full Power Reserve
Knockback: -2, -12 with powers

Saving Throws: 0 + 1 + 6 = 7PP
Toughness: +5/+15 (+5/+12 Con, +3 Protection)
Fortitude: +5/+12 (+5/+12 Con, +0)
Reflex: +3 (+2 Dex, +1)
Will: +7 (+1 Wis, +6)

Skills: 52R = 13PP
Diplomacy 15 (+17)
Handle Animal 8 (+10)
Knowledge (Theology & Philosophy) 8 (+9)
Notice 9 (+10)
Sense Motive 12 (+13)

Feats: 13PP
All Out Attack
Attack Focus Melee 2
Benefit 2 (Wealth 2)
Dodge Focus
Interpose
Leadership
Luck 3
Power Attack
Ultimate Toughness

Powers: 20 + 14 + 13 + 2 + 7 + 12 + 3 = 71PP

Enhanced Strength 20 [20pp]
Enhanced Constitution 14 [14pp]
Protection 3 Extras: Impervious Toughness 10 [13pp]
Flight 1 [2pp]
Super-Strength 2 PF: Haymaker, Powerlifting, Shockwave [7pp]
Power Reserve 6 (Flight, Super-Strength) [12pp]
Super Senses 4 (X-Ray Vision) DB: Blocked by lead [3pp]

DC Block:

Unarmed (powered) ----------- DC 30 Toughness (Staged) ----- Damage

Abilities (32) + Combat (14) + Saving Throws (7) + Skills (13) + Feats (13) + Powers (71) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/150 Power Points

NOTES

Remember that popular archetype I just did? Here's another variation on it. This character grew up on a farm deep in the Bible Belt, maybe Kansas, maybe not. They were around animals all their life, and in their adult life, they are the pinnacle of what it means to be a good Christian neighbor. They don't judge, they don't swear, they don't lie. They treat everyone they meet with kindness and respect and hold a strong belief in the protection of all human life. So when they suddenly developed super powers, they immediately set to work on their higher purpose. They've got a decent bank account to boot. Maybe their parents farm land is built on an oil reserve? Do their powers come from a divine source or was it an innate transformation? To this person, it doesn't matter. They're going to do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. That's what faith is all about. For older players, I see this character being played as a nicer version of Dark Star. That comes with a nice slew of complications too. They always ask the bad guys to surrender, they always have to try to save everyone, they don't lie, ever. They are basically a modern day paladin, defending those that can't defend themselves. They hold themselves to the highest standard and constantly measure up. One last tip for playing this character: Don't go anymore in depth to religion than I've done here. I've probably pushed the envelope enough as it is. In real life, people can get very defensive of religion. That's ok. We're here to punch jet-pack apes in the face, not discuss religion. If religion gets in the way of having fun, then drop it.

The unique features of the build are the 2 PF's for Super-Strength. Haymaker is: Damage X LINKED Trip X Extras: Knockback; Flaws: Touch range. Essentially you can knock the target back even if you don't stun them. Powerlifting is Super-Strength limited to increasing lifting capacity only. In my mind this is a -2 flaw, not a -1, so each rank gives a +10 to carrying capacity. As I made it up for this build, this does not necessarily reflect the opinions of the ref team as a whole. Edited by Geez3r

I figure before I go to much further, I should also include a bit about my character creation methodology. Again, this is my own personal philosophy, and does not necessarily reflect that of the Ref Team as a whole. Now, in my opinion what makes a character powerful should never be a single ability (IMO, this also includes arrays). If a single ability makes a character powerful, than that ability is over powered generally speaking. The exceptions are things like Shapeshift where they dominate the character's power point expenditure and necessarily define that character's shtick. But if the power of the character comes from them having a Perception Ranged, Free Action Disintegrate, the character gets their power from being over powered rather than being well built.

To make a powerful character requires synergy and utility. A character's core competency should come from several different factors, that when combined achieve a result that is greater than the sum of their parts. Let's look at classic Atlas for an example. Why was he such a tank?

While his Strength and Toughness scores were high, he wasn't the highest on the site in either category (though he was the only one with a +/- 5 at the time). Those alone didn't account for it. He had more ranks in Super-Strength than anyone else, which was quite powerful. He also had Growth which gave him an edge in Grappling and Intimidation. The vast majority of his Toughness save came from his high Constitution score, meaning he also had a high Fortitude save. Using his Super-Strength in an array, Atlas got a powerful (rather overly so which is why its gone now) Healing effect, which had an increased effect thanks to his high Constitution score. He was also able to keep the rank high in the Healing Effect thanks to his Last Stand feat, which let him take the Full-Round required to etch-a-sketch his damage conditions, not matter how bad they were, as well as having that added utility for situations calling for using Last Stand by itself. Add in his Interpose and Ultimate Toughness and he could take hits for his entire team. In a meta-analysis this also has the added benefit of "forcing" your enemies to power attack for high amounts. In order to get past Atlas's high Impervious score or cause him damage, most characters have to power attack. If Atlas could interpose on behalf of one of his allies, many enemies will hedge their bets and power attack just in case Atlas does interpose. This is a benefit because you usually Interpose for allies with low Toughness saves, and therefore high Defense scores, which means they are nearly impossible to hit while Power Attacking. You effective protect your allies just by being there, without technically doing anything.

So what's the take away from all that: If you can explain why your character is strong in a sentence or two, you're doing it wrong.

Those of you playing at home may feel that I'm being a bit hypocritical here as my first character, Malice was powerful for one word, let alone an entire sentence. That word was "DAKKA" for you newer players. Going way back, as in before most of the current Ref Team was on the site, I was one of the first players that realized that if I got a capped attack, and then put extras on it, it got even more powerful. Adding All Out Attack & Power Attack to effectively shift some of my Defensive PL into Offensive PL was icing on the cake. But what made it worse was the fact that Malice could do all than, and everything else a battlesuit character should be able to do on top of that.

That's what utility is all about. It's everything else your character does that can contribute to forwarding the plot other than punching people in the face. Most of the time this comes up in the skills a character has. Knowledges are the most common, but things like Gather Info, Computers and the like help as well. Other characters have powers that lend themselves to mundane utility. Flying bricks tend to have some sort of Super-Sense for instance. Telepaths have the whole mind reader thing going for them. Remember, this is a super-hero game. Your ability to make the bad guys fall down is taken for granted. It's what else you bring to the table that makes you special.

But even those two qualities are necessary to making a good character, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. If you're like me, you're used to making powerful characters for the sake of making powerful characters. In other RPG's a failed save or an unoptimized character means a death sentence. I stand before you to say: that's not how it works here. It took me years to finally get that through my head and fully understand that, though I'd prefer to blame my low posting rate (and therefore less time actually playing the game) rather than my thick headedness, though that could be wishful thinking. It'll take time for you too. The development of a player here goes something like this:

1. Not understanding the rules

2. Builds a weak character

3. Builds an average character

4. Builds an above average character

5. Builds a character that is too powerful

6. Builds an average/above average character

The development of any given player varies dramatically. I've spent most of my time here at the 4 and 5 level. You will eventually reach a point where you can build a character at nearly any PL and proceed to wreck house. And don't get me wrong, sometimes it is quite fun to just wreck house. On any type of "what kind of player are you" test, I routinely score highest in the Power Gamer/Slayer/Butt Kicker categories. But let me ask you: how powerful does your character really need to be? Seriously. Think about it. When have you upgraded your characters caps because it fit character concept and not just because you have higher caps to hit? Most comic book characters fall between PL 8 and PL 12. Most of the enemies you'll face in FC fall in that range as well. And due to Kenson maths, are often not as powerful as they should be. I'm talking to you as a guy that's made all of these mistakes. In fact, I'm the guy that invented some of them. I'm asking you to please learn from them.

The whole point of optimization is not to do everything better than everyone else. It is to do everything you character should be able to do given the constraints of the budget you have. I know its a corny line, but it gets repeated for a reason:

With great power comes great responsibility.

We're gonna take a break from builds and advice for a minute here. One of my favorite little features in M&M are the Super-Strength Power Feats. The reason that Super-Strength PF's exist is that in order to make a super-strong character you would need to buy lots of ranks in Super-Strength. Well, duh. But that means that you have less points to spend on everything else a Super-Strong character should be able to do. Power Feats allow a character to do the fancy strength tricks cheaply because it's assumed that you make up the difference by buying ranks of Super-Strength itself, so it kind of equals out. 3E takes the opposite approach, making you buy the weird effects and rolling your lifting capacity into your Strength score. I personally like both systems, with the 3E system being ahead by just a nose.

But since we're playing 2E here, I've got some ideas for Super-Strength power feats. They're a great way to add utility to a character and vary them from the other bricks knocking about. Before we get to that, there are 2 feats in the book that I believe get glossed over, but can be quite good in practice.

The first: Counter-Punching. Now before going further let me inform you that this is sort of a gray area in the rules. Ok, if you're looking for Super-Strength PF's, you're likely the tank. As the tank, you likely have Interpose for taking hits for your allies or civilians. But that only applies to singe target powers. What about AoE's? You can't Interpose against them, but you can Counter them. Maybe. That's the gray area. Counter-Punching lets you Counter ranged attacks with your mighty fists. You can punch fire or lightning away. Sweet. But what about fireballs? They're: Blast + Ranged + Area. Because it's Ranged and because Countering so rarely gets used, I'd allow this. But why specifically is this a good idea? Think about it, most AoE's are general area, meaning they are capped at PL. If you are a brick, then your Strength modifier exceeds your PL. That means even at even PL's you have an advantage in the opposed Power Check. Spend a HP to instant-counter and you can save several of your allies from having to roll at all. This is coincidentally how I would model the "punch the rocket away from its target" or the "absorb the grenade's impact in your hands" trick.

Also note: AoE effects without the ranged extra, those that are centered on the user or start in an adjacenect square, are melee attacks and therefore compatible with using Block, something you have innately. Assuming of course you agree with the logic presented above.

The second: Stunning Attack. No it's not a Super-Strength PF, but it does the same thing as one. It basically turns your melee attack into a Stun effect. Due to it being Fort based, it likely won't work all that well against other bricks. But against characters with a high Toughness save and a low Fortitude save (battle suits, mages and mentalists come to mind) this could be a nice and easy way to take them out of the fight, or at least stall them for a few rounds.

Right, now onto the PF's I've made. Once again, I'll remind you that this is done by me alone and just because I post it here doesn't mean that'll get approved for play. Also, any resemblance to Chamions Online powers is purely coincidental.

Bell Ringer - Nauseate X - A super-strong character clapping their hands violently over your ears can really mess with your equilibrium. A nice way to take a character out of a fight temporarily, or at least hinder them.

Demolish - Drain Toughness X Extras: Affects Objects (+1) - Instead of aiming to hurt the target, you aim to break them. It's a little squicky to use on normal human beings, but against robots or battle suits or characters with force fields, have fun. To me, this is a wide hand open slap, meant to spread the impact over a larger area. Or you could go the "quivering palm" route.

Freeze Breath - Snare X Extras: General Area Cone; Flaws: Touch Range - If you don't know how this power works, you need to get out more.

Haymaker - Damage X LINKED Trip X Extras: Knockback; Flaws: Touch Range - For those of you with Mecha and Manga, this is the Climbing Kick power. Essentially it's just a normal hit, only you can knock the target back even if you don't stun them. Not necessarily something you want to do in a populated urban area, but if you're being attacked by someone you can't beat, knock them out of the fight.

Heavy Hurl - Blast X Extras: General area Burst; Flaws: Full-Round Action - You pick up a very large piece of the scenery and chuck it at your foes, and they need to get the heck out of dodge. As a Complication, this power might not be useable in some scenarios because there isn't anything big enough to throw. You can technically do this as is, but the area of effect your wind up using is much smaller, so things shows an understanding of how to use an object's mass to the best effect.

Powerlifting - Super-Strength 2 Flaws: Limited - Lifting capacity only (-2) [1pp] - Mentioned earlier in my Brick with an X build. This isn't one of those "weird effect" powers , it just makes you able to lift a lot more than you would ordinarily be able to do, giving a +10 to your carry capacity, which translates in x4 the amount you can lift. Why would you take this instead of normal Super-Strength? So you can grapple without tasting Velveeta.

Strike of Valor - Damage X Extras: Vampiric - You get stronger the longer the fight goes on. Yeah it doesn't make you actually stronger, just less dead. A nice way to model a character that can take a licking and keep on kicking. I think this especially well suited to mythical heroes like Hercules.

• ADDENDUM: A good complication for a Hero using Strike of Valor? A variation on the Temporary Flaw for Healing. They don't technically heal their wounds, they just ignore them for the duration of the battle. Once the battle's over, all of the wounds they've suffered over the course of the battle manifest themselves at their full effect.

Super-Breath - Trip X Extras: Knockback; Flaws: Touch Range - Instead of freezing people where they are with your breath, you just instead send them flying. A very useful roomsweeper, and can be quite useful in putting out fires.

Uppercut - Damage X Extras: Secondary Effect - You know at the end of Ultimate Power that have the designer's notes and one of the sections is that "Close enough for RPG work"? Yeah this is one of those powers. You hit the target high up into the air, and then unless you hit them with power again, they go splat. By the rules they are technically allowed to use Melee attacks on you on their turn from when you first hit them and when they splat, but that's something I'm willing to accept to ignore the pants on head retarded falling rules.

• 3 weeks later...

Rev.jpg

Abilities: 2 + 4 + 4 + 10 + 4 + 4 = 28PP
Strength: 12/20 (+1/+5)
Dexterity: 14/24 (+2/+7)
Constitution: 14 (+2)
Intelligence: 20 (+5)
Wisdom: 14 (+2)

Combat: 12 + 8 = 20PP
Initiative: +2, +15 with suit
Attack: +6, +9 Melee, +13 Strike
Grapple: +10, +15 with suit
Defense: +13/+9 (+8 Base, +1/+5 Dodge Focus,), +4 Flat-Footed
Knockback: -1, -2 FF with suit, -3 with suit

Saving Throws: 3 + 3 + 5 = 11PP
Toughness: +7/+5/+2 (+2 Con, +3 Protection, +2 Defensive Roll)
Fortitude: +5 (+2 Con, +3)
Reflex: +14/+5 (+2/+7 Dex, +3/+7)
Will: +7 (+2 Wis, +5)

Skills: 112R = 28PP
Acrobatics 12 (+14/+19)
Computers 15 (+20)
Craft (Mechanical) 15 (+20)
Disable Device 15 (+20)
Knowledge (Technology) 15 (+20)
Notice 9 (+10)
Sense Motive 11 (+12)
Sleight of Hand 12 (+14/+19)
Stealth 12 (+14/+19)

Feats: 15PP
Acrobatic Bluff 2
Attack Focus Melee 3
Defensive Attack
Dodge Focus
Eidetic Memory
Evasion
Hide in Plain Sight
Inventor
Power Attack
Skill Mastery 2 (Acrobatics, Computers, Craft (mechanical), Disable Device, Knowledge (Technology), Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Stealth)
Uncanny Dodge (visual)

Powers: 44pp = 44PP

Battlesuit 11 - Hard to Lose Device 11 (55pp worth of traits) [44pp]

Enhanced Dexterity 10 {10pp}
Enhanced Feats 9 (Defensive Roll, Dodge Focus 4, Evasion, Improved Initiative 2, Move by Action) {9pp}
Enhanced Reflex Save 4 {4pp}
Enhanced Strength 8 {8pp}
Protection 3 {3pp}
Strike 2 PF: Accurate 2, Improved Critical, Mighty {6pp}
Speed 5 (250mph, 2500fpr) {5pp}
Quickness 5 (x50 speed) {5pp}
Super Movement 3 (Wall Walking 2, Water Walking) Limited: Only while running {3pp}
Super Movement 1 (Surefooted) {2pp}

Drawbacks: (-4pp) = -4ppPP
Normal Identity (Full Round Action to get in & out of suit) [-4pp]

DC Block:

Unarmed -------- DC 16 Toughness (Staged) ----- Damage
Strike -------- DC 22 Toughness (Staged) ----- Damage

Abilities (28) + Combat (28) + Saving Throws (11) + Skills (28) + Feats (15) + Powers (44) - Drawbacks (4) = 150/150 Power Points

NOTES

This is the inverted Dynamo. He's a scientist with speedster traits, rather than a speedster with a dash of science. He needs the suit to hit caps, but is otherwise a pretty serviceable character, being about PL 5 without the suit, and covers many of the basics for sciency characters.

My idea for this character is a scientist that wants to do more good in the world rather than just monkey around in their lab. The problem they run into however is that they just aren't good enough by themselves. They're good, but not great, and in the world of super heroes, that just doesn't cut the mustard. So they build the suit to do what their body cannot.

They're much more of a Quicksilver than a Flash, but they've used those extra points to really build up their skills and feat selection. If you give them preptime, they can use Inventor to whip up some extra goodies. Edited by Geez3r

nightmare_mage_by_johntylerchristopher.j

The Demon

Abilities: 4 + 8 + 6 + 6 + 2 + 6 = 32PP

Strength: 14/30 (+2/+10)

Dexterity: 18 (+4)

Constitution: 16/26 (+3/+8)

Intelligence: 16 (+3)

Charisma: 16/20 (+3/+5)

Combat: 12 + 12 = 24PP

Initiative: +4

Attack: +6, +8 Melee

Grapple: +18, +20 raging

Defense: +8 (+6 Base, +2 Dodge Focus), +3 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -1, -10 w/powers

Saving Throws: 0 + 4 + 7 = 17PP

Toughness: +3/+12 (+3/+8 Con, +4 Protection)

Fortitude: +3/+8 (+3/+8 Con, +0)

Reflex: +8 (+4 Dex, +4)

Will: +8 (+1 Wis, +7)

Acrobatics 9 (+13)

Bluff 0 (+3/+5, +15/+17 w/ Attractive)

Diplomacy 0 (+3/+5, +15/+17 w/ Attractive)

Intimidate 15 (+18, +20)

Knowledge (arcana) 12 (+15)

Notice 9 (+10)

Sense Motive 7 (+9)

Feats: 19PP

Attack Focus Melee 2

Attractive 3

Challenge (Fast Startle)

Dodge Focus 2

Finishing Blow

Follow Up Strike

Improved Critical (unarmed) 2

Luck

Move By Action

Power Attack

Rage 2 (+4 Str, +2 Fort, +2 Will, -2 Def, 10 rounds)

Ritualist

Startle

Powers: 16 + 10 + 4 + 8 + 6 + 5 + 2 = 51PP

Enhanced Strength 16 [16pp]

Enhanced Constitution 10 [10pp]

Enhanced Charisma 4 [4pp]

Protection 4 Extras: Impervious 8 - Not vs. Holy, silver or magic [8pp]

Flight 4 (100mph, 1000fpr) Drawbacks: Minimum Speed, Wings [6pp]

Immunity 5 (fire damage) [5pp]

Morph 1 PF: Metamorph [2pp]

DC Block:

Unarmed -------- DC 25 Toughness (Staged) ----- Damage

Raging -------- DC 22 Toughness (Staged) ----- Damage

Abilities (32) + Combat (24) + Saving Throws (11) + Skills (13) + Feats (19) + Powers (51) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/150 Power Points

NOTES

Alrighty then, here's a build that was kicking around in my noggin for a while and I figured I'd put it down on paper finally. Or to be more precise, it's 1/2 of the build. See Metamorph lets you effectively have multiple different character sheets. it's a great way to model a character that has a distinct number of different forms, without one form being necessarily better than all of the others. The case I'm modeling now is demonic possession.

The Demon I've got here was going to be summoned into our realm by a cult of diabolists, but their ritual got interrupted by Mr. Mage (see below). However, precisely detailed summoning rituals and mage duels rarely work well together, and the Demon accidentally possessed Mr. Mage as a result of the magical cross fire. So now they're stuck together. Mr. Mage is strong willed enough to guide the Demon's behavior so she doesn't kill anyone and only fights the bad guys to begin with. However, the Demon, being a Demon, is prone to being excessively violent and fights more out of a sense of bloodlust than a sense of the greater good. The "contract" that governs the binding is too strong and convoluted for either party to break, and the duo effectively time share in this body; they can swap out at any time, but once the change has been made, it is stuck like that for 1 full hour. This would count as a Complication in game mechanics, and also makes the GM's life a heck of lot easier.

Now that we've got that out of the way, onto the build itself. In my "mythology" Demons are tied strongly to some of the classical deadly sins. In this case, this Demon is tied to 3 of the sins. In descending order of importance they are: Wrath, Pride, and Lust. This Demon was "designed" for war, as a general shock troop. They love fighting, or more specifically killing, but they can't do that right now, so they make do with the fighting, as brutally as possible. Finishing Blow and Follow Up Strike represent mercilessly exploiting any opening the enemy has, while Rage represents getting lost in the thrill of battle. They are prone to towering rages and long standing grudges. Combine that with their tie to Pride (which can also be constituted as vanity) they are exceedingly easy to anger. A Temper Complication would do well here. And lastly, there's Lust. Now, lust does not mean that you have dozens of sexual partners, it means that you overindulge in the sins of the flesh. In this particular case, Lust is another way how their Wrath is expressed. They truly love battle, the more brutal, the better. They're a boisterous bruiser that is unrepentantly evil. They'll taunt, degrade or otherwise aim to humiliate their opponent and love every last minute of it. They aren't above vamping someone in the more common way lust is expressed in fiction, but this is a character that heads out to a bar to start a fight, not pick up a date. This is why they don't have any Bluff/Diplomacy ranks, and instead have Attractive 3; she isn't a nice person to be around. The degree to which these traits are played out heavily depend upon the tone of the game being played. If you want to play this type of character here, err on the side of caution, and then go one step more cautious.

The Build itself is pretty self explanatory. The Enhanced Traits represent characters beyond that of what someone of that body type would possess. Call it infernal strength or whatever. In the initial write up of this build, they had more Enhanced Charisma and AP'd a few effects off of it like Fearsome Presence, and Emotion Control (despair). Many of the other demonic type powers aren't suitable for this character for one of two reasons. Firstly, channeling hellfire through Mr. Mage is exceedingly difficult, given that Mr. Mage's body has channeled so much positive and/or holy energy throughout the years. Though that could change as the bond stays intact, gets modified, or the duo being corrupting one another. Secondly, for many of the more social aspects of demonic possession, remember that this character is a warrior first, and a temptress 3rd, if that. They aren't skilled at corrupting the hearts of man, they are skilled at ripping them out of men's chests. This all ties back into the theme of the character. She may be a Demon, but she's not that type of demon, at least in my interpretation of this character.

Blue_Lantern_by_HatakeK.jpg

The Mage

Abilities: 2 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 8 + 4 = 32PP

Strength: 12 (+1)

Intelligence: 16 (+3)

Wisdom: 18 (+4)

Attack: +6, +10 Magic

Grapple: +7

Defense: +9 (+6 Base, +3 Dodge Focus), +3 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -3, -1 flat footed

Saving Throws: 2 + 4 + 8 = 14PP

Toughness: +3/+7 (+3 Con, +4 Defensive Roll)

Fortitude: +5 (+3 Con, +2)

Reflex: +7 (+3 Dex, +4)

Will: +12 (+4 Wis, +8)

Skills: 80R = 20PP

Bluff 15 (+17)

Diplomacy 15 (+17)

Knowledge (arcana) 15 (+18)

Notice 10 (+14)

Sense Motive 15 (+19)

Stealth 10 (+13)

Feats: 20PP

Attack Specialization (magic) 2

Challenge (Fast Feint)

Defensive Roll 2

Dodge Focus 3

Distract (Bluff)

Fascinate (Diplomacy)

Inspire 5

Ritualist

Set Up

Teamwork 3

Powers: 27 + 11 + 2 = 40PP

Magic 12 - 3 AP's [27pp]

* Healing 6 Extras: Ranged, Total

* Create Object 6 Extras: Selective, Movable

* Snare 6 Extras: Contagious, Regenerating

* Stun 6 Extras: Ranged, Secondary Effect

Luck Control 2 (spend for another PC, negate Fiat) PF: Luck 5 [11pp]

Morph 1 PF: Metamorph [2pp]

Abilities (32) + Combat (24) + Saving Throws (14) + Skills (20) + Feats (20) + Powers (40) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/150 Power Points

NOTES

And now we've got Mr. Mage. As I've gone over the backstory for this odd duo in the notes above, I'm not going to cover that here. Mr. Mage here uses magic of the Holy, Protection and "Teamwork is awesome" variety. He's also only PL 8 compared to the Demon's PL 10. He's much better in social situations than the Demon is. Maybe it comes from years of being a preacher or other religious figure of import? In which case, alter this build to give him some ranks in Knowledge (religion)! He doesn't get as much bang for your buck with Inspire due to his lower Charisma, so you might want to bump that up when you get the chance. With luck control, Create Object, and Healing, he can be an excellent team player, and even has a few minor debuffs to aid his fellow heroes. He doesn't have Power Attack or even a damaging power to deal with nastier foes on his own. He doesn't like swapping over to the Demon when he gets into trouble though. After all, she's still a demon, and he doesn't want to let her loose upon the land. He can use Stealth to hide himself from a foe that's too powerful for him to take down by himself, and to find a place to swap out with the Demon, as he doesn't necessarily want the dual identity to become known.

Luck Control is him boosting the effectiveness of his allies, without having to deal with the clunky boost mechanics, and it can apply to a wide variety of rolls without any need for different AP's or other things of that nature. Attacks that would have missed hit, damage that would have been taken is instead resisted an so on. It can even help in non combat scenarios. Basically, in order to gauge the success of a character, you roll a die and add a modifier. If you want better success, you can either increase the roll or increase the modifier. In this case, its easier to increase the roll rather than the modifier both due to the way caps work in M&M and in terms of utility per point spent.

Thunder_by_guillembe.jpg

Abilities: 18 + 2 + 24 + 0 + 0 + 10 = 54PP

Strength: 28/40 (+9/+15)

Dexterity: 12 (+1)

Constitution: 34 (+12)

Charisma: 20 (+5)

Combat: 10 + 8 = 18PP

Initiative: +1

Attack: +5

Grapple: +14, +18 w/powers, +28 w/Hammer

Knockback: -6, -9 w/powers, -14 w/Hammer

Saving Throws: 0 + 2 + 7 = 9PP

Toughness: +12/+15 (+12 Con, +3 Protection)

Fortitude: +12 (+12 Con, +0)

Reflex: +3 (+1 Dex, +2)

Will: +7 (+0 Wis, +7)

Diplomacy 7 (+12)

Intimidate 15 (+20)

Knowledge (arcana) 5 (+5)

Knowledge (theology & philosophy) 5 (+5)

Notice 10 (+10)

Sense Motive 10 (+10)

Feats: 7PP

All Out Attack

Challenge (Fast Startle)

Luck 3

Power Attack

Startle

Powers: 7 + 10 + 10 + 2 + 1 + 19 = 49 PP

Impervious 7 [7pp]

Super-Strength 4 PF: Powerlifting 2 [10pp]

Flight 5 [10pp]

Move Object 4 Extras: Action - Move; Flaw: Hammer of the Gods only (-2), Limited Direction - Towards you (-1) [2pp]

Feature (Power Attacking gives attacks the lightning descriptor as well)

Hammer of the Gods - Easy to Lose Device 5 PF: Restricted 3, Indestructible [19pp]

Density 6 Extras: Permanent [18pp]

Super-Strength 2 PF: Strike of Valor, Shockwave, Hammer Throw [5pp]

Flight 1 [2pp]

DC Block:

Unarmed -------- DC 24 Toughness (Staged) ----- Damage

Hammer -------- DC 30 Toughness (Staged) ----- Damage

Abilities (54) + Combat (18) + Saving Throws (9) + Skills (13) + Feats (7) + Powers (49) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/150 Power Points

NOTES

Alright, this is a Thor knock off obviously. But I went with a different way of modelling the well known hammer. Pardon the pun, but the Hammer always seemed to carry a tangible sense of weight about it. Whenever Thor picks up the Hammer, he suddenly seems to a sheer force of nature rather than a simple juggernaut. So instead of a Strike power, I went with Density. He's stronger, tougher and unrelenting.

In addition, rather than dealing with some sort of array for the different effects Thor has with his hammer, I rolled a bunch of them up into his Super-Strength power feats. Effectively, his Strength score gets the hammer descriptor. Hammerthrow is just Ranged Damage. It can represent either literally throwing the hammer at his foes, or tossing lightning bolts their way. While we're on the subject, this guy has the unique Feature of adding lightning to any of his attacks, but only does so when he Power Attacks. This being a Thor knock-off, he uses Power Attack or All Out Attack almost every single round. After all, he has nothing to fear from a mere mortal. That being said, I didn't give this guy any of the classical god immunities, namely aging and life support. Why? Because I like the theory that Thor is really just crazy, but in a good way. I especially like that theory once you realize Thor sounds exactly like Hulk Hogan would if he talked with a Ye Olde English filter. "What'cha gonna do when Hulkamania runs wild on you?" = "You will learn why I am called the Thunderer mortal, and you will know my wrath!" Not!Thor here talks a lot of smack and cows his enemies into submission, and then thwacks them with the hammer for good measure. Not!Thor can use his Move Object power to call the Hammer to him, but only if it is nearby and due to its low rank, it can be held back relatively easily. Should Not!Thor have the Hammer taken from him, the Restricted ranks mean that no one can use it against him, and only those with an effective Strength score in excess of 60 can even move the thing.

punisher_commission_by_NoahWhyler.jpg

Abilities: 8 + 2 + 14 + 2 + 4 + 4 = 34PP

Strength: 18 (+4)

Constitution: 24 (+7)

Wisdom: 14 (+1)

Combat: 26 + 16 = 42 PP

Initiative: +16

Attack: +13

Grapple: +17

Defense: +10 (+8 Base, +2 Dodge Focus), +4 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -4, -5 w/ Equipment

Saving Throws: 2 + 5 + 6 = 13PP

Toughness: +10/+8 (+7 Con, +1 Tough, +2 Battle Gear)

Fortitude: +9 (+7 Con, +2)

Reflex: +6 (+1 Dex, +5)

Will: +8 (+2 Wis, +6)

Skills: 108R = 27 PP

Demolitions 15 (+16)

Drive 14 (+15)

Intimidate 15 (+17)

Knowledge (Streetwise) 9 (+10)

Knowledge (Tactics) 15 (+16)

Notice 13 (+15)

Sense Motive 13 (+15)

Stealth 14 (+15)

Feats: 30 PP

Benefit (Use Tactics for Initiative)

Dodge Focus 2

Equipment 14

Fearless

Hide in Plain Sight

Improved Critical (arsenal)

Luck 2

Master Plan 2

Power Attack

Quick Draw

Sneak Attack

Startle 2

Tough

Arsenal [35ep]

• Plastic Explosive - Blast 10 - Explosion
    Grenade Launcher - Blast 8 - Burst
    Assault Rifle - Blast 5 - Autofire
    Sniper Rifle - Blast 5 - Improved Range 2, Subtle
    Heavy Pistol - Blast 4
    Combat Knife - Strike 1 - Mighty, Thrown

Battle Van [30ep]

Strength: 40 [2ep]

Speed: 6 [6ep]

Size: Huge [2ep]

Toughness: +13 [4ep]

Features: Alarm, Hidden Compartments [2ep]

Powers: Mounted Guns - Blast 7 [14ep]

Protection 2; Second Chance (bullets) [3ep]

Binoculars [1ep]

Handcuffs [1ep]

Powers: 4 = 4 PP

Immunity 5 (interaction skills) Drawback: Not vs Bluff [4pp]

DC Block:

Unarmed -------- DC 19 Toughness (Staged) ----- Damage

Rifles -------- DC 20 Toughness (Staged) ----- Damage

Pistol -------- DC 19 Toughness (Staged) ----- Damage

Knife -------- DC 20 Toughness (Staged) ----- Damage

Grenade Launcher -------- DC 23 Toughness (Staged), DC 18 Reflex for Half ----- Damage

* +2 to the above values with Sneak Attack

Abilities (34) + Combat (42) + Saving Throws (13) + Skills (27) + Feats (30) + Powers (4) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/150 Power Points

NOTES

Ah, the taste of street-level DAKKA. But before we get into that, there are a few point I'd like to make perfectly clear. First, just because I've used it in a build, doesn't mean its acceptable for play here. Second, a Punisher-esque character would be a villain in the modern FC era, rubber bullets be damned. Thirdly, I may or may not have been "inspired" by a few of Shaen's past builds when making this character. Got it? Good.

Demolitions is a skill from the Mastermind's manual. It governs all the skills for creating, arming, placing and detonating explosives. This replaces the other aspects of Craft (chemistry), Knowledge (structural) and Knoweldge (Technology) used in bomb making and placement. GUB here ain't up for no book learnin' so it made sense to use this skill in its place.

Masterplan 2 is the Masterplan feat with the Benefit to use Tactics as your Int roll. Speaking of Tactics, the other benefit basically represents the character knowing so much about battles that they don't have to take stock of their surroundings, they just sort of act on reflex alone. They know the optimal way to make everyone in the room very dead. Startle 2 is likewise just Startle, with the Benefit for not taking the -5 for using it as a move action. Often used as the pre mortem one liner before Power Attacking them to the grave.

His lone "power" is his Immunity to interaction skills. This is a person that can't be intimidated or bargained with. You can potentially deceive them (see the relatively high Sense Motive score) and you can evade their line of sight (Acrobatic Bluff), but that's about it. Others can still use Sense Motive on you, but it should rarely be necessary. A character such as this has a very strong moral code they adhere to without exception. It doesn't necessarily make them a nice person, but a character like this requires a very well defined direction and goal.

If I was playing this character here (which would require a radical departure from our current tone) I would use the first player rewards for buying Equipment, which would effectively give you 14 free points to buy up anything you seem to be lacking. Personally, I believe them to be lacking in feats for the most part, so dump a nice chunk of your points there. I'd also pick up some Medicine at some point so you're better at patching up your wounds. Getting some of the other Intimidate Challenges or Accelerated Stealth wouldn't go amiss either.

the-stig-1283400090.jpg

Abilities: 2 + 6 - 10 + 2 + 4 + 0 = 4PP

Strength: 12 (+1)

Constitution: ---

Combat: 14 + 16 = 30 PP

Initiative: +16

Attack: +7

Grapple: +8

Defense: +8 (+8 Base), +4 Flat-Footed

Knockback:

Saving Throws: 0 + 7 + 5 = 12PP

Toughness: +6/+4 (+4 Protection, +2 Driving Suit)

Fortitude: Immune

Reflex: +10 (+3 Dex, +7)

Skills: 24R = 6 PP

Drive 12 (+15)

Notice 12 (+14)

Feats: 12 PP

Challenge (Evasive Driving, One Hand on the Wheel)

Equipment 6

Evasion

Move By Action

Skill Mastery (Drive, Drive, Drive, Notice)

Ultimate Drive

Large%20Image.jpg?p=101008_03:46

Veyron [25ep]

Strength: 40 [4ep]

Speed: 7 [7ep]

Size: Large [1ep]

Toughness: +10 [3ep]

Features: Alarm, Navigation System [2ep]

Powers: Super Movement 4 (Surefooted 4) [8ep]

Driving Suit: Protection 2 - Subtle [3ep]

Helment: Flash Google, Gas Mask [2ep]

Powers: 35 + 1 + 1 + 4 = 41 PP

Immunity 35 (Fortitude Effects, Interaction skills) [35pp]

Quickness 1 [1pp]

Enhanced Speed 2 Flaws: Others Only (+0), Cars Only (-1) [1pp]

Protection 4 [4pp]

DC Block:

Abilities (4) + Combat (30) + Saving Throws (12) + Skills (6) + Feats (12) + Powers (41) - Drawbacks (0) = 105/105 Power Points

NOTES

Some say his first name really is ‘The', and that he has a surprising number of shoulders. All we know is, he's called The Stig.

6bbd040bf17701012eaa963cf256e22e.jpg

Abilities: 6 + 8 + 8 + 4 + 4 + 2 = 32PP

Strength: 16 (+3)

Constitution: 18 (+4)

Intelligence: 14 (+2)

Charisma: 12 (+1)

Combat: 26 + 16 = 42 PP

Initiative: +17

Attack: +8, +9 Ranged, +13 Bows

Grapple: +11

Defense: +12 (+8 Base, +4 Dodge Focus), +4 Flat-Footed

Saving Throws: 3 + 8 + 5 = 16PP

Toughness: +8 (+4 Con, +2 Costume, +2 Defensive Roll)

Fortitude: +7 (+4 Con, +3)

Reflex: +12 (+4 Dex, +8)

Skills: 120R = 30 PP

Acrobatics 13 (+17)

Computers 15 (+17)

Demolitions 8 (+10)

Disable Device 15 (+17)

Knowledge (Streetwise) 8 (+10)

Knowledge (Tactics) 15 (+17)

Knowledge (Technology) 8 (+10)

Notice 15 (+17)

Sense Motive 8 (+10)

Stealth 15 (+19)

Feats: 28 PP

Attack Focus Ranged

Attack Specialization (bows) 2

Benefit (use Tactics for Initiative)

Challenge (Accelerated Stealth)

Defensive Attack

Defensive Roll

Dodge Focus 4

Equipment 5

Evasion 2

Hide in Plain Sight

Improved Critical (bows)

Master Plan 2

Move By Action

Power Attack

Precise Shot

Skill Mastery 2 (Acrobatics, Computers, Demolitions, Disable Device, Knowledge (Tactics), Notice, Sense Motive, Stealth)

Uncanny Dodge (visual)

Costume

Protection 2 [2ep]

Super Movement 2 (Slowfall, Swinging) [4ep]

Motorcycle

Strength: 25 [3ep]

Speed: 6 [6ep]

Defense: 10 [0ep]

Toughness: 8 [3ep]

Feature: Hidden Compartment [1ep]

Powers: 12 = 12 PP

Custom Bow & Arrows - Easy to Lose Device 4 [12pp]

Strike 4 Extras: Ranged; PF: Mighty, Improved Critical, Improved Range, Precise, Variable Decriptor

* Snare 7 PF: Improved Critical, Improved Range

* Strike 4 Extras: Targeted Area Cone, Selective; Flaw: Full Round Action; PF: Mighty, Progression 2

* Nauseate 7 Extras: Ranged; Flaws: Unreliable (5/day); PF: Improved Critical, Improved Range

* Strike 4 Extras: Ranged; PF: Mighty, Improved Critical, Knockback 3

Abilities (32) + Combat (32) + Saving Throws (16) + Skills (30) + Feats (28) + Powers (12) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/150 Power Points

NOTES

Whether you know it or not, the archer type of character in the super hero genre has actually been one of my favorites. I like that it takes lots of dedication to practice their craft so they become one of the best in the world at what they do. I also like the fact that they realize that alone might not be enough in a world of gods and monsters so they strap some C4 on the end of it just for good measure.

This build is rather similar to my Gritty Urban Badass build. And like that build, this one is deceptively feat and skill starved. If you were to play this character, throw points into those two areas with reckless abandon. Improved Aim, Move By Action, Luck, Acrobatic Bluff, Fearless, Quick Draw, and Ultimate Aim all had to be cut. And those are just the ones I though of off hand.

Many archers have a "no more arrows in the quiver" Complication. True fact, you can't carry as many arrows as you can bullets. One of the settings for the Trick Arrows already accounts for not having many of them in stock, so you can't double dip and get the HP when you run out of that particular arrow. But until then, stand all brooding on top of a building, scope out the area, make a Master Plan and then rain feathery death from above.

artifacts__wheel_of_shadows_by_johntyler

Abilities: 4+ 10 + 6 + 2 + 4 + 4 = 30PP

Strength: 14 (+2)

Dexterity: 20 (+5)

Combat: 12 + 16 = 28PP

Attack: +6, + 9 Melee, +13 Scythe

Defense: +13 (+8 Base, +5 Dodge Focus), +4 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -3, -1 without costume & flatfooted

Saving Throws: 5 + 8 + 5 = 18PP

Toughness: +7/+5/+3 (+2 Con, +2 Protection, +2 Defensive Roll)

Fortitude: +8 (+3 Con, +5)

Reflex: +13 (+5 Dex, +8)

Skills: 112R = 28PP

Acrobatics 10 (+15)

Bluff 8 (+10)

Diplomacy 8 (+10)

Disable Device 10 (+11)

Gather Information 8 (+10)

Intimidate 10 (+12)

Investigate 9 (+10)

Knowledge: Streetwise 9 (+10)

Notice 10 (+12)

Sense Motive 10 (+12)

Sleight of Hand 10 (+15)

Stealth 10 (+15)

Feats: 22PP

Attack Focus Melee 3

Attack Specialization (Scythe) 2

Defensive Attack

Defensive Roll

Dodge Focus 5

Equipment 2

Evasion 2

Hide In Plain Sight

Move By Action

Power Attack

Sneak Attack

Takedown Attack

Costume – Protection 2, Camo Clothing (Urban) [3ep]

Smoke Pellets – Visual Obscure 3 (25ft) [6ep]

Binoculars [1ep]

Powers: 7 + 7 + 6 + 2 + 2 = 24pp

Strike 3 PF: Mighty, Extended Reach 2, Improved Critical [7pp]

Super-Senses 7 (Darkvision, Counters Obscure Vision (all)) [7pp]

Super-Movement 3 (Slowfall, Wall Crawling 2) [6pp]

Speed 2 [2pp]

Leaping 2 [2pp]

DC Block:

Abilities (30) + Combat (28) + Saving Throws (18) + Skills (28) + Feats (22) + Powers (24) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/150 Power Points

NOTES

Alright, this is an archetype that is exceptionally popular here: the Badass Abnormal. Basically it’s a character that has tons of skills and training, which is supplemented by a few relatively low key powers. However, a limited level of powers allows for higher levels of diversification. This character in question can summon up a shadow scythe that drains the vitality of those it strikes. It’s a fancy descriptor for damage in this case (and also an excuse to not hack off limbs at every opportunity). The scythe can adjust in length at will, being able to strike at enemies from a distance of 15ft.

She’s a real mook sweeper this one. She’ll use her Stealth to pick out her prey and then take them out one by one. When they all clump up together once they realize they aren’t alone, she’ll drop a few smoke pellet into their midst and then proceed to hack away, using her Super-Senses, Sneak Attack, Extended Range and Takedown Attack to its full effect. If she’s ever facing a massive amount of enemies, you can always pop a second HP for another rank of Takedown Attack, which means that you can keep going so long as there is an enemy within 20ft of you, and you have movement left.

Like many of my recent builds, this one is feat and skill starved. Throw points there with reckless abandon. Top of the list should be ranks in Luck and Skill Mastery. From there getting higher ranks in these skills, and adding supplementary skills would be wise.

El_Chimera_by_elshazam.jpg

Chimera

Abilities: 8 + 8 + 8 + 0 + 0 + 6 = 30pp

Str 18 (+4)

Dex 18 (+4)

Con 18 (+4)

Int 10 (+0)

Wis 10 (+0)

Cha 16 (+3)

Combat: 8 + 12 = 20pp

Initiative: +12

Attack: +4, +5 Melee

Grapple: +8

Defense: +6 (+6 Base, +0 Dodge Focus), +3 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -2

Saving Throws: 2 + 2 + 4 = 8pp

Toughness: +4 (+4 Con, +0 [Other])

Fortitude: +6 (+4 Con, +2)

Reflex: +6 (+4 Dex, +2)

Will: +4 (+0 Wis, +4)

Skills: 40r = 10pp

Bluff 4 (+7, +11 w/Attractive)

Concentration 15 (+15)

Diplomacy 3 (+6, +10 w/Attractive)

Notice 10 (+10)

Sense Motive 8 (+8)

Feats: 4PP

Attack Focus Melee 1

Attractive

Improved Initiative 2

Powers: 78 = 78PP

Shapeshift 10 Extras: Free Action; Flaws: Mash up forms only; DB: No mechanical forms [-2]

Drawbacks: 0 + 0 + 0 = 0pp

DC Block:

ATTACK      RANGE     SAVE                        EFFECT

Unarmed     Touch     DC15 Toughness (Staged)     Damage

Abilities (30) + Combat (20) + Saving Throws (8) + Skills (10) + Feats (4) + Powers (78) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/150pp

Lycan Forms

Enhanced Abilities (Strength 4, Dexterity 4, Constitution 4) [12pp]

Speed 3 & Leaping 3 & Super-Strength 2 [10pp]

Strike 2 PF: Mighty, Accurate [4pp]

Enhanced Skills 8 (Acrobatics 15, Stealth 15, Notice 2) [8pp]

Enhanced Feats 9 (Attack Focus Melee 5, Dodge Focus 4) [9pp]

Super-Senses 3 (Low Light Vision, Scent, Ultrahearing) [3pp]

Defense 2 [4pp]

Lion Turtle

Protection 5 Extras: Impervious 8; DB: Noticable [12pp]

Speed 3 AP: Swimming 3 [4pp]

Growth 4 – Permanent [12pp]

Enhanced Strength 4 [4pp]

Enhanced Constitution 4 [4pp]

Attack Focus Melee 5, Dodge Focus 1, Endurance 3, Envionmental Adaptation [9pp]

Skills: (Acrobatics 8, Swimming 8) [4pp]

Super-Senses 3 (Low Light Vision, Scent, Ultrahearing) [3pp]

Drawbacks: No Hands, Mute [-8pp]

44/50

NOTES:

This is a character I’ve nearly submitted to play a half dozen times now. Actually that’s what most of these builds are. Some are girls, some are guys. But I know full well that I can’t portray a woman correctly, so the builds just sit idle. Which is a shame because I like many of these builds, and it would seem wrong for me to repurpose them. Yeah I’m weird, but we already knew that.

Anyways, getting off topic. This character here basically can change into any amalgam animal they can think of. They can exaggerate some traits, and ignore others. It doesn’t have to be two animals either. It could be like 3 or 4. In order to limit the utility somewhat, I suggest adding a Complication that penalizes the character on occasion if they start taking on too much at once. Maybe it makes them more animalistic, and can’t think so good anymore. Maybe it could Stun them when they have many conflicting instincts kicking around in their head at once. Whatever it is, there needs to be an excuse why the character doesn’t continually stay in Tiger-Eagle-Shark-Turtle-Octopus form.

That being said, they must necessarily be an amalgam. Their forms must have 2 animals they are taking the characteristics of. Remember, humans count as animals. But, due to the amalgam nature of the Shape shifting, it makes impersonating anyone impossible. They are allowed to take on the forms of creatures that they themselves are mashups, such as minotaurs or the titular chimera. They don’t gain any of the mystical attributes of the creature however. But this being the land of rubberscience, slapping wings on an otherwise humanoid form would allow for flight.

I've only put two forms up here, but the sky's the limit. Imagination, you can has. If you have trouble of thinking of possible combination, find an animal wiki and then hit "Random" a few times. Anything that pops up is a valid idea. Not necessarily a good idea, but an idea none the less.

• 2 weeks later...

a7061d7b23ee10cdfd1213da6c11da9a.jpg

Oni

Abilities: 8 + 8 + 8 + 0 + 4 + 4 = 32PP

Strength: 18 (+4)

Combat: 16 + 16 = 32PP

Initiative: +8

Attack: +8, +11 Melee

Grapple: +15

Defense: +12 (+8 Base, +4 Dodge Focus)

Knockback: -4, -2 without powers

Saving Throws: 4 + 8 + 6 = 18PP

Toughness: +8/+4 (+4 Con, +4 Forcefield)

Fortitude: +8 (+4 Con, +4)

Reflex: +12 (+4 Dex, +8)

Skills: 84R = 21PP

Acrobatics 8 (+12)

Concentration 8 (+10)

Craft (metalworking) 4 (+4)

Gather Information 8 (+12)

Intimidate 12 (+14)

Knowledge (Theology & Philosophy): 8 (+8)

Notice 8 (+10)

Sense Motive 8 (+10)

Sleight of Hand 8 (+12)

Stealth 12 (+16)

Feats: 29PP

Attack Focus Melee 3

Defensive Attack

Defensive Strike

Dodge Focus 4

Equipment

Evasion 2

Fearless

Follow Up Strike

Hide in Plain Sight

Improved Critical

Improved Initiative (swords)

Luck 2

Move By Action

Power Attack

Quick Draw

Skill Mastery (Acrobatics, Intimidate, Notice, Stealth)

Startle

Takedown Attack 2

Uncanny Dodge (Auditory)

Up the Wall

Strike 2 PF: Mighty, Masterwork, Improved Critical - Masterwork Sword

Powers: 4 + 4 + 11 = 19pp

Force Field 4 - Chi Deflection [4pp]

Chi Enhanced Movement - [4pp]

• Speed 1
    Leaping 1
    Super-Movement 1 (Slowfall)

Strike 5 PF: Mighty, Extended Reach, Improved Critical, Penetrating 3 Drawback: Requires suitable weapon [-1pp] [11pp]

* AP: Enhanced Feat 10 (Fearsome Presence 10)

DC Block:

Abilities (32) + Combat (32) + Saving Throws (18) + Skills (20) + Feats (29) + Powers (19) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/150 Power Points

NOTES

Alright, this is basically weeaboo Batman. Or if you want to be more serious about it, what if Bruce Wayne stayed longer in the far east and honed some more mystical skills instead of relying on science and gadgetry. This build also steals some ideas from the cannon Crimson Katana.

Through harnessing their internal reserves of Chi, they have become a very capable combatant. Their style of fighting is a mystical art that traces it routes back to the oni, or other suitable demon. This character uses their own internal darkness as a weapon against the darkness of the world. They are faster and more agile because of this, and are able to withstand punishment that would kill a lesser individual. Their signature ability however is to enhance the weapons they wield, much like that of the comic book character, the Silver Samurai. However, the strength of this attack is reliant upon that of the strength of the weapon in question. The sword this character carries currently fulfills all requirements of this drawback. If stripped of this weapon, they may use another, but for every trait the new weapon is lacking (including being a sword) the effectiveness of their Strike power goes down. This could be a loss of ranks in Strike, penetrating, or Improved Critical, up to the whims of the GM, though a good benchmark is to lose 2pp worth of traits from the Power for each trait the Equipment is lacking.

Other than that, its a pretty straight forward build. Some ninja-esque skills and a rather large feat selection let this character be quite powerful in combat. Also note that because this is a mystical martial art, it gets around the stigma of hacking people to bits with a sword. It can alternate between lethal and nonlethal damage as a normal attack would. Declare that you're striking their internal Chi reserves, and not their body or some such. A few of these feats are from Mecha & Manga and/or Warriors & Warlocks, which means that they may or may not be suitable for play here.

Inspector_Gadget.jpg

Mecha Paragon

Abilities: 18 + 0 - 10 + 0 + 0 + 0 = 8PP

Strength: 28/40 (+9/+15)

Dexterity: 10 (+0)

Constitution: N/A

Combat: 4 + 4 = 8PP

Attack: +2, +5 Melee

Grapple: +22

Defense: +5 (+2 Base, +3 Dodge Focus)

Knockback: -14

Saving Throws: 0 + 2 + 5 = 7PP

Toughness: +15 (+12 Protection, +3 Density) (Impervious 10)

Fortitude: Immune

Reflex: +2 (+0 Dex, +2)

Will: +5 (+0 Wis, +5)

Skills: 80R = 20PP

Computers 10 (+0)

Craft (Electronics) 10 (+10)

Craft (Mechanical) 10 (+10)

Disable Device 10 (+10)

Knowledge (Physical Sciences) 10 (+10)

Knowledge (Technology) 10 (+10)

Notice 10 (+10)

Sense Motive 10 (+10)

Attack Focus Melee 3

All Out Attack

Benefit (May perform Craft checks on self for repairs without -5 penalty)

Dodge Focus 3

Luck 2

Power Attack

Skill Mastery 2 (All skills shown)

Powers: 30 + 19 + 19 +30 = 98pp

Immunity 30 (Fortitude Saves) [30pp]

Density 6 Extras: Permanent (+0); PF: Innate [19pp]

• Strength +12
    Protection 3, Impervious 3
    Super-Strength 2
    Immovable 2
    Mass x5

Protection 12 Extras: Impervious 7 [19pp]

Variable Power 3 (Any technological) Extras: Continuous, Move Action [30pp]

Drawbacks: (-3) + (-1) = -4PP

Weakness: Automatically becomes fatigued after 24 hours of operation, exhausted after 36 and unconscious after 48. Recharge takes 4 hours [-2pp]

Weakness: Datalink also functions as Mind Control [-2pp]

DC Block:

Abilities (8) + Combat (8) + Saving Throws (7) + Skills (20) + Feats (13) + Powers (98) - Drawbacks (4) = 150/150 Power Points

NOTES

Paragons tend to have weird powers. This guy has all of them. Now variable Powers are very, very expensive, as they should be. But they are effective unlimited power stunting. Use that to your advantage. Vary your tactics from round to round. This character lacks points in interaction skills, so in my mind they are rather robotic. Maybe they just came online and haven't interacted with humanity too much. Or maybe they just don't have it in their programming to be overly social.

You can be the stereotypical flying brick and get lots of Super-Strength and Flying. Or you could get a vast array of Super-Senses, or many other esoteric powers. The point is, you've got a Move Action that you may not be using every round, so use it to keep your opponent guessing.

An obvious story hook is who created you and for what purpose. Are they still around, or did they disappear under mysterious circumstances?

She_Hulk_variant_by_skage_-_resized.jpg

Brawler

Abilities: 14+ 6 + 14 + 2 + 4 + 4 = 44PP

Strength: 24/34 (+7/+12)

Constitution: 24/30 (+7/+10)

Attack: +6, + 8 Melee

Grapple: +15, +25 w/ Powers

Defense: +8 (+6 Base, +2 Dodge Focus), +3 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -3, -12 with powers

Saving Throws: 0 + 4 + 5 = 9PP

Toughness: +7/12 (+7/+10 Con, +2 Protection) (Impervious 8)

Fortitude: +7/+10 (+7/+10 Con, +0)

Reflex: +7 (+3 Dex, +4)

Skills: 72R = 18PP

Acrobatics 7 (+10)

Bluff 8 (+10)

Diplomacy 8 (+10)

Gather Information 8 (+10)

Intimidate 14 (+16)

Knowledge: Streetwise 9 (+10)

Notice 10 (+12)

Sense Motive 10 (+12)

Feats: 14PP

All Out Attack

Attack Focus Melee 2

Dodge Focus 2

Improved Critical (unarmed)

Improved Grab

Interpose

Luck 2

Move By Action

Power Attack

Skill Mastery (Acrobatics, Intimidate, Notice, Sense Motive)

Startle

Powers: 10 + 6 + 10 + 10 + 2 + 3 = 41pp

Enhanced Strength 10 [10pp]

Enhanced Constitution 6 [6pp]

Protection 2 Extras: Impervious 8 [10pp]

Super-Strength 5 [10pp]

Immovable 2 [2pp]

Speed 3 [3pp]

Abilities (44) + Combat (24) + Saving Throws (9) + Skills (18) + Feats (14) + Powers (41) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/150 Power Points

NOTES

A step above a street level powerhouse and a cosmic level one is the brawler here. Strong enough to hang with the big guns, but not powerful enough to curbstomp anything that crosses their path. They're also a much better fighter and have considerably less headaches when dealing with the really fast dodgy people.

You've got a more well rounded allocation of your points; a few more skills, better saves, and a few more feats than the average power house. You aren't a skill monkey by any means but you can fill in for one if they aren't around. Flushing this character out will likely have more points spent in Skills and Feats than an ordinary powerhouse, but you could also throw a few points into Super-Strength and the associated power feats if you want as well.

Shocker_Anyone__by_raheight.jpg

Shatter Point

Abilities: 6 + 4 + 6 + 0 + 4 + 2 = 22PP

Strength: 16 (+3)

Attack: +6, +8 Blast

Defense: +8 (+6 Base, +2 Dodge Focus)

Knockback: -1, -6 w/powers

Saving Throws: 6 + 3 + 7 = 16PP

Toughness: +10 (+8 Con, +2 Protection)

Fortitude: +9 (+3 Con, +6)

Reflex: +5 (+2 Dex, +3)

Will: +9 (+2 Wis, +7)

Skills: 44R = 11PP

Knowledge (Streetwise) 8 (+8)

Intimidate 15 (+16)

Notice 10 (+12)

Sense Motive 11 (+13)

Feats: 10PP

All Out Attack

Attack Specialization (Blast)

Dodge Focus 2

Luck 2

Power Attack

Second Chance (Deflect Rolls)

Set Up

Startle

Powers: 24 + 26 + 8 + 9 = 67pp

Deflect 8 (all) [24pp]

Blast 12 [26pp]

* AP: Damage 10 Extras: General Cone

* AP: Adds the following Extras to the Deflect Power: Action, Range, Reflection

Flight 4 [8pp]

Force Field 9 [9pp]

DC Block:

Abilities (22) + Combat (24) + Saving Throws (16) + Skills (11) + Feats (10) + Powers (67) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/150 Power Points

NOTES

This is a character whose power set I really like, and I’ve had quite a few problems trying to model it over the years. I have however pruned it down quite a bit. This guy is a master of vibrations, kind of like a mix between the Shocker and Avalanche, only with less lame sauce.

The key power for this build is the Deflect power. It doesn’t get much use in its default form as it takes at least a standard action to use, and a full round action to use with any effectiveness. However, if this guy takes the time to concentrate and deflect incoming attacks, he becomes much more powerful and versatile in his deflection. By taking a standard action, he is able to deflect an unlimited number of attacks per turn (or at least to attempt to) for both himself and anything that happens to come too close to him, and he is able to reflect it back to its attacker. Also note that any sort of melee attack is usable in conjunction with Deflect. In addition, he still has a move action each round which he can use to situate himself right in the cross fire so that he is able to maximally utilize his deflect, or he can use it to Set Up his allies for a big whallop.

You may not get the most effectiveness out of Deflect due to its low-ish rank. Getting some ranks in Impervious Toughness to force your enemies to power attack and correspondingly lower their Attack bonus. In addition, unless you dump a whole lot more points into the Action extra, which I actually argue against, you won’t be able to Deflect again in a round once you fail.

• 2 weeks later...

Kaiju Titan

Kaiju_Titan.jpg

Abilities: 14 + 2 + 14 + 0 + 2 + 2 = 34PP

Strength: 24/40 (+7/+15)

Constitution: 24/32 (+7/+11)

Combat: 8 + 8 = 16PP

Initiative: +1

Attack: +4, +7 Melee (-2 size modifier)

Grapple: +14, +16 w/powers, +32 at full Growth

Defense: +7 (+4 Base, +3 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat Footed (-2 Size modifier)

Knockback: -3, -9 with powers, -19 at full Growth

Saving Throws: 2 + 4 + 5 = 11PP

Toughness: +7/+11/+15 (+7/+11 Con, +4 Protection) (Impervious 8)

Fortitude: +9/+13 (+7/+11 Con, +2)

Reflex: +5 (+1 Dex, +4)

Will: +6 (+1 Wis, +5)

Acrobatics 4 (+5)

Intimidate 15 (+16, +20 at full Growth)

Knowledge (Current Events) 5 (+5)

Knowledge (Pop Culture) 5 (+5)

Language 1 (Sign Language, Native: English)

Notice 9 (+10)

Sense Motive 9 (+10)

Stealth 4 (+5, -3 at full Growth)

Feats: 17PP

Attack Focus Melee 3

All Out Attack

Defensive Attack 3

Improved Grab

Last Stand

Luck 2

Power Attack

Startle 2

Takedown Attack 2

Ultimate Toughness

Powers: 32 + 12 + 3 + 12 = 59pp

Growth 8 Extras: Continuous [32pp]

Protection 4 Extras: Impervious 8 [12pp]

Speed 4 Drawback: 1 rank per 2 active ranks of Growth [3pp]

Super-Strength 2 PF: Haymaker, Knockback 4, Powerlifting 3 [12pp]

DC Block:

Abilities (34) + Combat (16) + Saving Throws (11) + Skills (13) + Feats (17) + Powers (59) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/150 Power Points

NOTES

So this is a character with Growth, which is a power I have a love-hate relationship with. It's a power that makes you exceedingly good at grappling. But it makes you too good. At the same time, the other abilities it gives you seem to be erratic once put into context. For instance, Growth gives you a -4 Knockback modifier per size level. Bigger things are harder to send flying than small things, I get it. The thinking was that the +8 Strength would balance it out, and things of equal size could send each other flying just fine. Well, no, not at all actually. Characters of an equal PL and equal trade-off will have the same Strength score, regardless of source. So now if two Titans like this one were to duke it out, only by power attacking for full would either of them have a chance of knocking the other back, and even then it would be like a quarter of a step. I've added the Knockback powerfeat, which in this case would apply to their Strength modifier in general to counter balance this effect.

Also, lifting capacity wise, characters with Growth are relatively weak at a vanilla level. A PL 10 at Huge size with max trade-offs like this build here has Strength 50. Which is enough to heft a semi, barely. So in order to get a decent amount of lifting capacity, you need more ranks in Super-Strength, which will leave the taste of Velveeta glued to your mouth due to the grappling rules, which is a shame because you can only properly do an expy of the attack of the 50ft whatever with lots of Super-Strength. This is one of the reasons I went with a Huge sized character instead of Gargantuan. The Power-Lifting power feat I "invented" was actually made due to this particular problem I was running into.

Now as for the character themselves, a few of the skills may look out of place. They've got ranks in Acrobatics and Stealth not necessarily because they're good at it, but because I suspect someone that's a few stories high has practiced stepping lightly and directly so as to not squash anything underfoot. They've got sign language because some people have complained that their voice is a little too loud when they're at full size. In addition, sometimes they have a hard time hearing their allies when they're battling some villains. Either of which would make for some good complications. As for the appearance, in the FC verse, Kaiju island exists as a perfect place for "things much larger than they should be" so, yoink. Maybe they're a native of Kaiju island (in which case drop the knowledges for some Survival) or maybe the Labyrinth is experimenting with the DNA of the creatures of the island.

I had to cut a few things from this sheet. A few more Super-Strength power feats, Bluff and Diplomacy ranks, esoteric immunities, Prone fighting (to reflect that giants rarely fight while standing straight up), Interpose and a slew of other things. I also recommend not getting many grappling related feats, you're good enough at it as is.

• 1 month later...

Battlesuit_-_Ground_based.jpg

Abilities: 8 + 6 + 8 + 4 + 4 + 2 = 32PP

Strength: 18/30 (+4/+10)

Intelligence: 14 (+2)

Combat: 16 + 8 = 24 PP

Attack: +8, +10 unarmed & weapons array

Grapple: +12, +20 w/ Power Armor

Defense: +8 (+4 Base, +4 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed

Saving Throws: 4 + 3 + 6 = 13PP

Toughness: +12 (+4 Con, +8 Protection) Impervious 3

Fortitude: +8 (+4 Con, +4)

Reflex: +6 (+3 Dex, +3)

Skills: 76R = 19 PP

Acrobatics 12 (+15)

Computers 8 (+10)

Craft (mechanical) 8 (+10)

Disable Device 8 (+10)

Investigate 8 (+10)

Knowledge (arcane) 8 (+10)

Knowledge (technology) 8 (+10)

Notice 8 (+10)

Sense Motive 8 (+10)

Feats: 14 PP

Acrobatic Bluff

Attack Specialization (unarmed)

Dodge Focus 4

Fearless

Improved Critical (Unarmed)

Improved Initiative

Improvised Tools

Luck

Move By Action

Power Attack

Precise Shot

Powers: 52 = 52 PP

Battlesuit 13 (65pp worth of traits, Hard to Lose Device) [52pp]

Density 6 Extras: Permanent (+0) [19pp]

Immunity 9 (Life Support) [9pp]

Speed 4 (100 mph, 1,000fpr) [4pp]

Leaping 2 (x5 distance) [2pp]

Protection 5 [5pp]

Blast 10 PF: Accurate, Precise [24pp] - Laser Blasts

* AP: Blast 10 Flaws: Unreliable (5/day); LINKED Trip 10 Extras: Knockback; Flaws: Unreliable (5/day)l PF: Accurate, Improved Throw - Power Missiles

* AP: Snare 10 PF: Accurate, Tether - Laser Tether

Super-Senses 2 (Ultravision, Infravision) [2pp]

Drawbacks: -4pp = -4PP

Normal Identity (Full round Action) [-4pp]

Abilities (32) + Combat (24) + Saving Throws (13) + Skills (19) + Feats (14) + Powers (52) - Drawbacks (4) = 150/150 Power Points

NOTES

Ok, first things first. I've never played any of the Metroid games. I've seen clips and snap shots, but that's about it. Samus is one of the only characters that I can think of off hand that represent this particular niche. As such, I didn't try to model Samus' suite of powers, mostly because I don't know what they all are.

Anyways this battlesuit character is rather "basic" as far as battlesuits go. Life support systems, metal plating, guns. This character also has a unique advantage when compared to the standard battlesuit user: outside of the suit, they are likely able to kick the crap out of their nerdy cousins. They don't have the greatest scientific mind going, but they're pretty good, and they've got a lot of room for improvement. They also have quite a few more feats than the traditional battlesuit users, though they lack Inventor currently. This is a character that dedicates their time to improving their current suit rather than trying to make additional little devices.

Like many battlesuit characters, this one is a little lacking in the saves department so a few points could do well here. Also, they are a little lacking in skills so they could get a few points added in there to add to their repertoire or enhance what they're already good at. Or you could go the more direct route and throw some more points into the suit to give it more bells and whistles.

War_Machine_1.jpg

Abilities: 0 + 0 + 2 + 14 + 4 + 0 = 20pp

Str 10/30 (+0/+10)

Dex 10 (+0)

Con 12 (+1)

Int 24 (+7)

Wis 14 (+2)

Cha 10 (+0)

Combat: 12 + 8 = 20pp

Attack: +6, +8 Weapons Array, +10 unarmed

Grapple: +8, +18 in strength setting, +24 with full Super-Strength

Defense: +7 (+4 Base, +3 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -0, -11 in suit

Saving Throws: 5 + 3 + 8 = 16pp

Toughness: +13/+1 (+1 Con, +12 Protection) Impervious 8

Fortitude: +6 (+1 Con, +5)

Will: +10 (+2 Wis, +8)

Skills: 84r = 21pp

Computers 13 (+20)*

Craft (Electronics) 8 (+15)*

Craft (Mechanical) 8 (+15)

Disable Device 13 (+20)*

Knowledge: Business 3 (+10)

Knowledge: Civics 3 (+10)

Knowledge: Physical Sciences 8 (+15)

Knowledge: Technology 8 (+15)*

Notice 10 (+12)

Sense Motive 10 (+12)

All Out Attack

Attack Specialization (weapons Array)

Attack Specialization (unarmed)

Benefit (Wealth 2)

Dodge Focus 2

Inventor

Luck 2

Power Attack

Skill Mastery (Computers, Craft: Electronic, Disable Device, Knowledge: Technology)

Speed of Thought

Powers: 54PP

Battlesuit (Hard to Lose Device 16) [64pp]

Immunity 9 (life support) [9pp]

Power Reserve 6 (Flight, Super-Strength) [12pp]

Protection 12 Extras: Impervious 8 [20pp]

Weapons Array 18 (36pp power pool, 3 AP's) [39pp]

* BE: Blast 12 Extras: Autofire

* AP: Blast 10 Extras: General Area Burst, Selective; Flaws: Unreliable (5/day)

* AP: Enhanced Strength 20 PF: Knockback 4; Super-Strength 2 PF: Counter Punching, Haymaker

* AP: Snare 12 Extras: Regenerating

Drawbacks: -4pp

Normal Identity - Full Round Action to don Armor [-4pp]

Abilities (20) + Combat (20) + Saving Throws (16) + Skills (21) + Feats (13) + Powers (64) - Drawbacks (-4) =150pp / 150pp

And now we move onto a more classic battlesuit. Flight, lots of armor and lots of guns. What's not to like? Well actually, this guy. He doesn't have any of the classic social skills, so he's more likely one of those nerdy intellectual types who doesn't get out much. But who needs friends when you have a never ending fascination with building an nearly endless supply of death dealing weapons?

But basically this is close to what the original 150pp Malice looked like. I had a few other tricks stashed in the old build, a few of which I took out in literally the first month's edit because I felt that they were too over powered back then. Plus the house rules in place now are RADICALLY different from the ones in place back then.

Your saves are a little lack luster, and you could use a few more skills to round out your character. Some of the more esoteric functions of a battlesuit would also do good here, such as Super-Senses, but Malice 1.0 didn't have it so neither does this one.

Thor_Assassin_by_reiq.jpg

Abilities: 22pp

Str 30/14 (+10/+2)

Dex 10 (+0)

Con 28/14 (+9/+2)

Int 20 (+5)

Wis 14 (+2)

Cha 10 (+0)

Combat: 16pp

Initiative: +8

Attack: +4, +6 Melee

Grapple: +8, +18 w/suit, +23 w/ full Super-Strength

Defense: +6 (+4 Base, +2 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -1, -14 w/suit

Saving Throws: 11pp

Toughness: +14/+2 (+9/+2 Con, +5 Protection) Impervious 10

Fortitude: +11/+4 (+9/+2 Con, +2)

Skills: 116r = 29pp

Computers 15 (+20)*

Craft (Electronics) 15 (+20)*

Diplomacy 8 (+8)

Disable Device 15 (+20)*

Intimidate 14 (+14)

Investigate 6 (+11)

Knowledge: Physical Sciences 10 (+15)

Knowledge: Technology 15 (+20)*

Notice 8 (+10)

Sense Motive 10 (+12)

Feats: 22PP

All Out Attack

Attack Focus Melee 2

Benefit (Wealth 3)

Dodge Focus 2

Eidetic Memory

Equipment 4

Improved Initiative 2

Interpose

Inventor

Luck 2

Power Attack

Skill Mastery (Computers, Craft: Electronic, Disable Device, Knowledge: Technology)

Ultimate Toughness

Underground Tech Lab

Size: Huge;

Toughness: 15;

Features: Combat Simulator, Communications, Computer, Concealed 2, Defense System, Holding Cells (Nullifiers), Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Power System, Security System 3, Workshop. Cost: 20 equipment points.

Powers: 54PP

Mass Driver Armor

Hard to Lose Device 13 (65 device points; PF: Restricted 2) [54pp]

Density 6 Extras: Duration - Permanent (+0) [18pp]

• [*:1tzy4jqa]Strength +12
    [*:1tzy4jqa]Protection 3, Impervious Toughness3
    [*:1tzy4jqa]Super-Strength 2
    [*:1tzy4jqa]Immovable 2

Protection 2 Extras: Impervious Toughness 7 (Total of 10) [9pp]

Enhanced Constitution 14 {14pp}

Enhanced Strength 4 [4pp]

Strike 4 PF: Knockback 2, Mighty [7pp]

Flight 5 PF: Dynamic [13pp]

* DAP: Super-Strength 5

Drawbacks: -4pp

Normal Identity - Full Round Action to don Armor [-4pp]

Abilities (22) + Combat (16) + Saving Throws (11) + Skills (29) + Feats (22) + Powers (54) - Drawbacks (-4) =150pp / 150pp

A variation of the preceeding 2 sets of armor. More basic in that you only have the ability to smack things about, but advanced in the sense that you can fly. They have have the traditional smarts of a battlesuit designer but decided to use it on an esoteric form of energy that they only barely understand to make this decidedly no frills battlesuit. You can fly and hit things. That's about it. But you have an HQ and an embarrassingly large amount of cash, so that's something.

Martial_Artist.jpg

Abilities: 10 + 10 + 10 + 2 + 4 + 4 = 40pp

Str 20 (+5)

Dex 20 (+5)

Con 20 (+5)

Int 12 (+1)

Wis 14 (+2)

Cha 14 (+2)

Combat: 20 + 20 = 40pp

Initiative: +17

Attack: +10, +15 Melee

Grapple: +20

Defense: +13 (+10 Base, +3 Dodge Focus), +5 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -3, -2 flat footed

Saving Throws: 11pp

Toughness: +7/+5 (+5 Con, +2 Defensive Roll)

Fortitude: +7 (+5 Con, +2)

Reflex: +12 (+5 Dex, +7)

Skills: 100r = 25pp

Acrobatics 15 (+20)

Bluff 10 (+12)

Diplomacy 10 (+12)

Intimidate 10 (+12)

Notice 10 (+12)

Sense Motive 15 (+17)

Sleight of Hand 15 (+20)

Stealth 15 (+20)

Feats: 31PP

Acrobatic Bluff 2

Attack Focus Melee 5

Defensive Attack

Defensive Strike

Defense Roll

Dodge Focus 3

Evasion 2

Finishing Blow

Follow Up Strike

Hide in Plain Sight

Improved Critical (unarmed) 2

Improved Initiative 3

Luck 2

Power Attack

Skill Mastery (Acrobatics, Notice, Sense Motive, Stealth)

Stunning Fist

Takedown Attack 2

Up the Wall

Drawbacks: 0pp

Abilities (40) + Combat (40) + Saving Throws (14) + Skills (25) + Feats (31) + Powers (0) - Drawbacks (0) =150pp / 150pp

The highly trained Martial Artist superhero. More of a staple in the Marvel Universe than in the DC verse, but a character with their place in the genre solidly in tact. They don't have any sort of special powers or even any gadgets to supplement their heroics, it's just their ability to punch people in the face. Good thing for them they're pretty darn good at it. They may not have too much stopping power ordinarily, but catching an opponent flat-footed, something made much easier due to their high Stealth and Acrobatic Bluff 2, they are able to Power Attack with impunity.

A good tactic for this character to use is for them to use Defensive Attack 5 on one round, wait for an opponent to miss while attacking him, and then use the bonus granted by Defensive Strike to offset the penalties for a full Power Attack/ Defensive Attack counter attack. Rinse, repeat. You can have even more fun if you manage to crit by using Follow Up Strike to attack again. You're pretty good at the more esoteric forms of combat such as grappling, tripping and disarming. If you want to be better at them, consider dropping ranks in Attack to get a little high Strength score. There's only so high you can go though before reaching the maximum for humans. But who's to say that a Martial Artist of your caliber isn't just a little super human?

Gun Bunny

artifacts__the_coin_of_solomon_by_johnty

Abilities: 12 + 10 + 12 + 4 + 4 + 4 = 46pp

Str 22 (+6)

Dex 20 (+5)

Con 22 (+6)

Int 14 (+2)

Wis 14 (+2)

Cha 14 (+2)

Combat: 20 + 16 = 36pp

Initiative: +5

Attack: +10, +13 Ranged

Grapple: +16

Defense: +12 (+8 Base, +4 Dodge Focus), +4 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -3, -4 with suit

Saving Throws: 1 + 4 + 6 = 11pp

Toughness: +8/+6 (+6 Con, +2 Protection)

Fortitude: +7 (+6 Con, +1)

Reflex: +9 (+5 Dex, +4)

Skills: 64r = 16pp

Acrobatics 10 (+15)

Bluff 8 (+10)

Knowledge (technology) 8 (+10)

Language 2 (Japanese, Russian; Native: English)

Notice 8 (+10)

Sense Motive 8 (+10)

Sleight of Hand 10 (+15)

Stealth 10 (+15)

Feats: 17PP

Acrobatic Bluff 2

Attack Focus Ranged 3

Dodge Focus 4

Hide in Plain Sight

Luck 2

Move by Action

Power Attack

Precise Shot

Skill Mastery (Acrobatics, Notice, Sleight of Hand, Stealth)

Uncanny Dodge (auditory)

Powers: 8 + 16 = 24pp

Nanowire Exosuit - Hard to Lose Device 2 (10pp pool) [8pp]

Protection 2

Speed 1

Leaping 1

Super-Movement 1 (Slowfall)

Super-Senses 2 (Lowlight vision, Ultrahearing)

Super-Strength 1

Morphic Nanowire Arsenal - Easy to Lose Device 5 (25pp pool) PF: Restricted (Autofire & Selective are useable by Gun Bunny only) [16pp]

Blast 7 Extras: Autofire; PF: Improved Critical 2

* AP: Strike 4 Extras: Autofire 2 (1:1, max +5); PF: Mighty, Takedown Attack 2

* AP: Damage 7 Extras: Targeted Cone Area, Selective; PF: Progression 2 - Note this is considered a Melee Attack

Drawbacks: 0pp

Abilities (46) + Combat (36) + Saving Throws (11) + Skills (16) + Feats (17) + Powers (24) - Drawbacks (0) =150pp / 150pp

This character is a mix between a gadgeteer and a secret agent type character. However, they are a bit lacking in the more esoteric skills of each profession, instead bringing more firepower to the front lines. A character like this needs extra work on the backstory as they likely have connections for some sort of agency (and should therefore have some of the associated benefits). In such a case, it should also be explained why they have gear so much better than that of their peers. Maybe they're an ex agent who decides to leave the organization to pursue their goals in their own way, having gotten disenfranchised with the way things are done at their old organization.

The weapons they carry are decidedly high tech, and likely fire lasers or some other type of esoteric energy. Bullets kill people, the audience knows this. They audience doesn't know anything more about "harmonized electrons fired through the alpha spectrum" than what you tell them; if you say its non-lethal, then it is. Devices are cool like that.

Anyways, this character is spread a little thin. They could use a bunch more skills and a plethora of feats. Computers, Disable Device, Craft, Diplomacy, Intimidate, various Knowledges, Investigate, etc. Agent types tend to have a lot of skills, but this character is a bit lacking. Where they a specialized operative or are they simply out of practice? Maybe they were never an agent have more gadgeteer roots?