[Question] Player-Created NPCs

Shadowboxer

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, and if so feel free to delete this post and point me in the right direction. :)

I created a character for my New Year's Eve vignette and although I think she's great, I have no intention of playing another character at the moment. However, I did stat her and would like to see her appear as a NPC, either for my games or someone else's campaign. Would it be possible to submit this NPC, have the character sheet approved then file the character under the NPC forum?

Recently I stated another character, a tailor who specializes in making superhero costumes, and I thought it would be neat to have his little shop appear in future stories.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, and if so feel free to delete this post and point me in the right direction. :)

I created a character for my New Year's Eve vignette and although I think she's great, I have no intention of playing another character at the moment. However, I did stat her and would like to see her appear as a NPC, either for my games or someone else's campaign. Would it be possible to submit this NPC, have the character sheet approved then file the character under the NPC forum?

Recently I stated another character, a tailor who specializes in making superhero costumes, and I thought it would be neat to have his little shop appear in future stories.

That's an excellent question, and it's one that we've received a couple of times in the last few days.

Players have a limited capability to create new NPCs. If the NPC is just being suggested as a way to add flavor to the city without a specific use intended, then you can PM the Referees group with your suggested NPC, and they can choose to use those stats as desired in their storylines and threads.

If you intend to use the NPC in a storyline or thread of your own creation, it works in much the same way. Generally, sending the Referees the proposed stats for the NPC and a brief description of what the NPC would be used for is enough. If they don't have a problem with any of the stats, then they'll PM back their approval. If the NPC isn't intended to be a surprise (that is, it isn't going to be used in combat or other situations where its opponents wouldn't know all of its capabilities), it will be kept in a thread on the referee forum. Otherwise, it'll be placed in the NPC forum within the Character Bank.

I think I noted elsewhere that we want to keep the number of powered NPCs down, just because we have a lot of NPCs from the Freedom City book, and a lot of PCs to act as antagonists. Personally, I prefer that you go with lower PL NPCs when possible. There aren't as many NPCs at PL 6/7 in the Freedom City book, and it's nice to have pre-defined NPC blocks for combats.

That's an excellent question, and it's one that we've received a couple of times in the last few days.

Players have a limited capability to create new NPCs. If the NPC is just being suggested as a way to add flavor to the city without a specific use intended, then you can PM the Referees group with your suggested NPC, and they can choose to use those stats as desired in their storylines and threads.

If you intend to use the NPC in a storyline or thread of your own creation, it works in much the same way. Generally, sending the Referees the proposed stats for the NPC and a brief description of what the NPC would be used for is enough. If they don't have a problem with any of the stats, then they'll PM back their approval. If the NPC isn't intended to be a surprise (that is, it isn't going to be used in combat or other situations where its opponents wouldn't know all of its capabilities), it will be kept in a thread on the referee forum. Otherwise, it'll be placed in the NPC forum within the Character Bank.

I think I noted elsewhere that we want to keep the number of powered NPCs down, just because we have a lot of NPCs from the Freedom City book, and a lot of PCs to act as antagonists. Personally, I prefer that you go with lower PL NPCs when possible. There aren't as many NPCs at PL 6/7 in the Freedom City book, and it's nice to have pre-defined NPC blocks for combats.

Both characters would be used to add flavour to a campaign, and perhaps they could add a small benefit to a player who role-plays well in a scene with the NPC.

Madeline, the street kid from my vignette, is a Power Level 6 character. The tailor is Power Level 2 and doesn't work with technology or magic. He just makes costumes. :)

So, would giving players a minor benefit, like a clue or a one-time +2 bonus, be considered overstepping their use? To answer my own question, I suppose it would. NPCs that grant bonuses have the potential to be abused. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Both characters would be used to add flavour to a campaign, and perhaps they could add a small benefit to a player who role-plays well in a scene with the NPC.

Madeline, the street kid from my vignette, is a Power Level 6 character. The tailor is Power Level 2 and doesn't work with technology or magic. He just makes costumes. :)

So, would giving players a minor benefit, like a clue or a one-time +2 bonus, be considered overstepping their use? To answer my own question, I suppose it would. NPCs that grant bonuses have the potential to be abused. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

I've asked about this and have decided to do as little work on the NPCs as possible. Of course, the NPCs I'm thinking of are normals, mostly PL 2 or 3. Lenny, my information guy, I didn'T bother with stating up yet. I simply said what people could learn about him and what he can do for them based on various DCs.

For your tailor, that should be more than enough. For Madeline, I'm not sure. If she is supposed to run around being active with other heroes and villians, then she'll need to be stated. Submit her as a normal character in teh Character Bank but put NPC in the title and get it approved by the refs. Make sure you put in what information a person can learn about her based on DC checks as well.

I've asked about this and have decided to do as little work on the NPCs as possible. Of course, the NPCs I'm thinking of are normals, mostly PL 2 or 3. Lenny, my information guy, I didn'T bother with stating up yet. I simply said what people could learn about him and what he can do for them based on various DCs.

For your tailor, that should be more than enough. For Madeline, I'm not sure. If she is supposed to run around being active with other heroes and villians, then she'll need to be stated. Submit her as a normal character in teh Character Bank but put NPC in the title and get it approved by the refs. Make sure you put in what information a person can learn about her based on DC checks as well.

Submit her as a normal character in teh Character Bank but put NPC in the title and get it approved by the refs. Make sure you put in what information a person can learn about her based on DC checks as well.

As Heridfel said, just PM the NPC with stats (full or just some suggestions) to the "Staff Members" group. Any other information you want to include (like Gather Information DC checks) would be great too.

Submit her as a normal character in teh Character Bank but put NPC in the title and get it approved by the refs. Make sure you put in what information a person can learn about her based on DC checks as well.

As Heridfel said, just PM the NPC with stats (full or just some suggestions) to the "Staff Members" group. Any other information you want to include (like Gather Information DC checks) would be great too.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to have this come to the attention of everyone checking the list. Creating an NPC will help make teh world that much more enjoyable. It will also ensure that recurring NPCs get to keep their information the same through out the threads. Feel free to drop a name of an NPC you think might show up a lot in the lives of the heroes. Informants, beat cops, even the next door neighbor would help make the world that much more interesting.

Just wanted to have this come to the attention of everyone checking the list. Creating an NPC will help make teh world that much more enjoyable. It will also ensure that recurring NPCs get to keep their information the same through out the threads. Feel free to drop a name of an NPC you think might show up a lot in the lives of the heroes. Informants, beat cops, even the next door neighbor would help make the world that much more interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

After being reminded of The Transporter the other night (while in a convo with a friend re: bad movies), I got an idea for a PL 6-ish villain. The Driver. Normal Mook Crook who [somehow - demonic pact? bionics?] gained the ability to be a superhumanly good driver, and hires himself out as a getaway driver to other crooks. Stats largely identical to the standard Criminal from the back of the Core M&M book, but also add Enhanced Dex (only while in an automobile), Enhanced Skill (Drive), Enhanced Skill (Knowledge/Technology; only pertaining to automobiles), and Quickness (limited to automobile maintenance), and ranks in the Equipment feat for a sweet ride. Maybe some other car-centric powers, too.

Had another idea for a low-level character, whose main powers is Create Object # (Continuous; Innate, Precise, Subtle; Limited to only re-creating objects that had been inside a closed container). He pulls out a discarded pizza box from a dumpster, opens it up, it's got the original pizza inside it, fresh as the moment it was first put in. Same goes for an empty computer box. Problem is, he's doing this by unconsciously pulling the objects out of the past, wreaking havoc with the timestream.

Also toying with an idea for a "Zoom Baby" (from the M&M Annual -- child of a woman who took Zoom while pregnant, mutating the baby to have a permanently amped-up metabolism, making them age faster; they're unable to cope rationally with others b/c everyone else is too slow, and their constant hunger makes some turn to cannibalism).

And an idea for a vibration-based character (gained his powers from an accident involving an experimental hyper-tech jackhammer).

After being reminded of The Transporter the other night (while in a convo with a friend re: bad movies), I got an idea for a PL 6-ish villain. The Driver. Normal Mook Crook who [somehow - demonic pact? bionics?] gained the ability to be a superhumanly good driver, and hires himself out as a getaway driver to other crooks. Stats largely identical to the standard Criminal from the back of the Core M&M book, but also add Enhanced Dex (only while in an automobile), Enhanced Skill (Drive), Enhanced Skill (Knowledge/Technology; only pertaining to automobiles), and Quickness (limited to automobile maintenance), and ranks in the Equipment feat for a sweet ride. Maybe some other car-centric powers, too.

Had another idea for a low-level character, whose main powers is Create Object # (Continuous; Innate, Precise, Subtle; Limited to only re-creating objects that had been inside a closed container). He pulls out a discarded pizza box from a dumpster, opens it up, it's got the original pizza inside it, fresh as the moment it was first put in. Same goes for an empty computer box. Problem is, he's doing this by unconsciously pulling the objects out of the past, wreaking havoc with the timestream.

Also toying with an idea for a "Zoom Baby" (from the M&M Annual -- child of a woman who took Zoom while pregnant, mutating the baby to have a permanently amped-up metabolism, making them age faster; they're unable to cope rationally with others b/c everyone else is too slow, and their constant hunger makes some turn to cannibalism).

And an idea for a vibration-based character (gained his powers from an accident involving an experimental hyper-tech jackhammer).

Another idea for an NPC villain, inspired by cosmicarus' handle.

Mad Scientist type who's got a thing for both dinosaurs and high-energy physics. Seeks to rule the world by creating an army of dinosaurs. But he's not going to create them by the Jurassic Park method, instead he plans to use cosmic rays to power his Devolver Ray that can turn birds and lizards into dinosaurs (or using cosmic energy to open portals either into the past or into parallel universe and "importing" dinosaurs). A laboratory accident infuses him with both saurian traits and energy-manipulation powers, and he dubs himself Cosmicsaurus Rex, King of the Cosmic Lizards!

Mad Scientist type who's got a thing for both dinosaurs and high-energy physics. Seeks to rule the world by creating an army of dinosaurs. But he's not going to create them by the Jurassic Park method, instead he plans to use cosmic rays to power his Devolver Ray that can turn birds and lizards into dinosaurs (or using cosmic energy to open portals either into the past or into parallel universe and "importing" dinosaurs). A laboratory accident infuses him with both saurian traits and energy-manipulation powers, and he dubs himself Cosmicsaurus Rex, King of the Cosmic Lizards!

Seems to be a nod to an old Spiderman villain, Steggron.