Bael - Bael - PL10 - Arch-Villain

Bael is designed to be an Arch-Villain, a manipulator behind the scenes, and not an everyday encounter. He has a consistent paradigm, overarching goals which inform his actions, a reason to get up in the morning, and vast patience.

Players Name: Bob Richter

Power Level: PL 10 – 150 Points

Alternate Identity: Bael

Height: 5’ 11â€Â

Weight: 170 lbs

Hair: Dark

Eyes: Blue

Description: Short, dark hair, clean-shaven; blue eyes; expressive face; smiles frequently; handsome, but not overly so; lean, greyhound build; casual dresser; no jewelry, except for a ring, made of silver, inset with a comet-shaped piece of polished black stone; no tattoos, generally clean appearance, looks approachable.

History: Bael was born to a family that genuinely believed in the Rapture, and that GOD was going to call his faithful home at any time. He was an only child, and home-schooled; when the promises made to his parents by their ministry failed, time and again, to materialize, Bael grew angry. He tried to convince his parents that the ministry had failed them, and that maybe there was another story – Bael was certain the local minister was a charlatan, just another carnival huckster preying on the gullible, and when his father grew sick, and refused medical treatment on the minister’s advice. Bael watched his father fade away and die of an illness that was never diagnosed, never treated, in agony of the mind, body, and soul. At his father’s funeral, his grief and fury overwhelmed him, and in a fit of rage Bael picked up a cheap, folding chair and beat the minister to death in front of the assembled.

As Bael sat in jail, awaiting trial, he became persuaded that GOD had, in fact, abandoned the earth as a failed experiment, and that it was too far gone to be saved. Evil ran amok, good was in retreat, and he would no longer declare his allegiance to a GOD who no longer cared, and to principles which had no place in the world as it was.

The man suddenly standing in his jail cell that night had a proposition for him. Was he interested, he was asked, in joining a group of people who had, like him, decided to play for the winning team in the time of chaos? Would he embrace his new role, accept training in eldritch arts, and swear to work to defeat the last few champions of good? Bael readily agreed, and swore a Blood Oath to the organization named, “The Fallen.â€Â

The Fallen moved swiftly in, altering the memories of all of the witnesses. The case against him was dropped, due to the tearful confession of his mother, corroborated by the eye-witnesses at the funeral of how she snapped in her profound grief. She now rests comfortably in a sanitarium.

Bael went with the man now known to him as Azrael, to a remote area of the world, perhaps someplace in Asia, to train as an agent of The Fallen. He studied hard, and proved an apt student of the Dark Arts. Through the application of vile potions and eldritch spells, he was transformed – he no longer ages, or needs to breathe, eat, drink or sleep. He can transport himself vast distances, turn lead into gold, view locations miles away, turn into a ghost, and subvert the minds of the weak, and unwary.

Now known as Bael, a member in good standing of The Fallen, Bael has been assigned to Freedom City, with the assignment to foment chaos, sow discord, threaten the populace, etc. He is wealthy, owns several businesses as his alternate identity, but keeps this completely separate. Bael typically works subtly, rarely confronting Heroes directly, yet constantly seeking to distract, discredit, and demoralize.

Stats

Str: 12 +1

Dex: 12 +1

Con: 16 +3

Int: 18 +4

Wis: 14 +2

Cha: 14 +2

(Total Stats = 26)

Traits

BAB: +0

BDB: +3

Initiative: +1

Saves:

Toughness: +3

Fortitude: +7 (+3[stat] +4[save Buy-up])

Reflex: +6 (+1[stat] +5[save Buy-up])

Will: +7 (+2[stat] +5[save Buy-up])

(Total Traits = 20) [+3 Defense(6) +3 Fort Save +5 Reflex Save +6 Will Save]

Skills: Ranks Stats Final Rank

Computers 8 +4 12

Craft: Jewelry 8 +4 12

Gather Info 15 +2 17

Diplomacy 8 +2 10

Knowledge: Arcane Lore 15 +4 14

Language 8 na

(English, Egyptian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Arabic)

Notice 6 +2 8

Sense Motive 4 +2 7

(Total Skill Points = 18) [72 Ranks/4]

Feats:

Alternate Identity 1

Artificer 1

Eidetic Memory 1

Ritualist 1

Seize Initiative 1

Well-Informed 1

Wealth, x4 4

(Total Feats = 10)

Powers:

Magic: Rank=24, 2/Rank, Points = 48

Spells

1] Hellish Nightmare (Mental Blast) Rank=10* Points=0 (Base Power)

4/Rank (No Mods); Range=Perception, Save=Will

Bael can project horrific images into the mind of his target, severely damaging his psyche.

2] Magic Mirror (ESP) Rank=6 Points=2 (DAP)

3/Rank (Visual [2] + Audio [1]); Range=20 Miles, Save=NA

Feat: Dimensional Points=0 (Feat)

3] Shadow Gate (Teleport) Rank=9 Points=2 (DAP)

5/Rank (Base=2, +1 Accurate, +2 Portal); Range=900 Feet/20,000 Miles, Save=NA

4] Wraith Form (Linked Powers) Rank=NA Points=1

Insubstantiality 4=20, Invisibility 2=8, Trackless=2

5] Subversion (Mental Transform Rank=10* Points=2 (DAP)

4/Rank (Base=2, +0 Save=Will, +1 Continuous, +1 Range Increase); Range=Perception, Save=Will

6] Alchemy (Physical Transform) Rank=8 Points=2 (DAP)

6/Rank (Base=4 [Any metal to any metal], +1 Continuous, +1 Range); Range=Perception, Mass=250 Lbs, Save=NA

*Rank=12, Capped at 10

Immunities

Aging, Starvation & Thirst, Need for Sleep= 3

Suffocation=2

Precognition & Postcognition=4 (2 each) (Shows up as NULL on Pre/Post-cognitive attempts)

Super-Senses

Danger Sense=2

Mind Shield: Rank=8

(Total Power Points=76)

Point Totals:

Stats: 26

Traits: 20

Skills: 18

Feats: 10

Powers: 76

Total: 150

Edited by Barnum to move the most up-to-date version of the character to the first post.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bael is designed to be an Arch-Villain, a manipulator behind the scenes, and not an everyday encounter. He has a consistent paradigm, overarching goals which inform his actions, a reason to get up in the morning, and vast patience.

Description: Short, dark hair, clean-shaven; blue eyes; expressive face; smiles frequently; handsome, but not overly so; lean, greyhound build; casual dresser; no jewelry, except for a ring, made of silver, inset with a comet-shaped piece of polished black stone; no tattoos, generally clean appearance, looks approachable.

History: Bael was born to a family that genuinely believed in the Rapture, and that GOD was going to call his faithful home at any time. He was an only child, and home-schooled; when the promises made to his parents by their ministry failed, time and again, to materialize, Bael grew angry. He tried to convince his parents that the ministry had failed them, and that maybe there was another story – Bael was certain the local minister was a charlatan, just another carnival huckster preying on the gullible, and when his father grew sick, and refused medical treatment on the minister’s advice. Bael watched his father fade away and die of an illness that was never diagnosed, never treated, in agony of the mind, body, and soul. At his father’s funeral, his grief and fury overwhelmed him, and in a fit of rage Bael picked up a cheap, folding chair and beat the minister to death in front of the assembled.

As Bael sat in jail, awaiting trial, he became persuaded that GOD had, in fact, abandoned the earth as a failed experiment, and that it was too far gone to be saved. Evil ran amok, good was in retreat, and he would no longer declare his allegiance to a GOD who no longer cared, and to principles which had no place in the world as it was.

The man suddenly standing in his jail cell that night had a proposition for him. Was he interested, he was asked, in joining a group of people who had, like him, decided to play for the winning team in the time of chaos? Would he embrace his new role, accept training in eldritch arts, and swear to work to defeat the last few champions of good? Bael readily agreed, and swore a Blood Oath to the organization named, “The Fallen.â€Â

The Fallen moved swiftly in, altering the memories of all of the witnesses. The case against him was dropped, due to the tearful confession of his mother, corroborated by the eye-witnesses at the funeral of how she snapped in her profound grief. She now rests comfortably in a sanitarium.

Bael went with the man now known to him as Azrael, to a remote area of the world, perhaps someplace in Asia, to train as an agent of The Fallen. He studied hard, and proved an apt student of the Dark Arts. Through the application of vile potions and eldritch spells, he was transformed – he no longer ages, or needs to breathe, eat, drink or sleep. He can transport himself vast distances, turn lead into gold, view locations miles away, turn into a ghost, and subvert the minds of the weak, and unwary.

Now known as Bael, a member in good standing of The Fallen, Bael has been assigned to Freedom City, with the assignment to foment chaos, sow discord, threaten the populace, etc. He is wealthy, owns several businesses as his alternate identity, but keeps this completely separate. Bael typically works subtly, rarely confronting Heroes directly, yet constantly seeking to distract, discredit, and demoralize.

Stats

(Total Stats = 26)

Traits

Saves:

Computers 8 +4 12

Gather Info 15 +2 17

Diplomacy 8 +2 10

Language 8 na

Notice 6 +2 8

Sense Motive 4 +2 7

Feats:

Alternate Identity 1

Artificer 1

Eidetic Memory 1

Ritualist 1

Seize Initiative 1

Well-Informed 1

Wealth, x4 4

(Total Feats = 10)

Powers:

Spells

Bael can project horrific images into the mind of his target, severely damaging his psyche.

4/Rank (Base=2, +0 Save=Will, +1 Continuous, +1 Range Increase); Range=Perception, Save=Will

6/Rank (Base=4 [Any metal to any metal], +1 Continuous, +1 Range); Range=Perception, Mass=250 Lbs, Save=NA

*Rank=12, Capped at 10

Immunities

Suffocation=2

Precognition & Postcognition=4 (2 each) (Shows up as NULL on Pre/Post-cognitive attempts)

Super-Senses

Danger Sense=2

(Total Power Points=76)

Point Totals:

Edited by Barnum to move the most up-to-date version of the character to the first post.

Stats

(Total Stats = 26)

Traits

Saves:

Computers 8 +4 12

Gather Info 15 +2 17

Diplomacy 8 +2 10

Language 8 na

Notice 6 +2 8

Sense Motive 4 +2 7

Feats:

Alternate Identity 1

Artificer 1

Eidetic Memory 1

Ritualist 1

Seize Initiative 1

Well-Informed 1

Wealth, x4 4

(Total Feats = 10)

Powers:

Spells

*Rank=12, Capped at 10

Immunities

Suffocation=2

Super-Senses

Danger Sense=2

(Total Power Points=76)

Point Totals:

I've looked this guy over before and I liked him then. I like that you brought the magic power down some to fit within the trade off caps.

I think an angle of internal conflict might work well with this villain, with some of the other members of your order holding a grudge for you getting such a sweet assignment as Freedom City while they did not.

there are a few mechanical problems though:

your stats are added wrong I get 25 not 26 so you save a point there. You've still got three skill ranks to place in your skills cause I only see you spending 57 and you've payed for 60...I suggest a rank of English and maybe some other more common languages. Your powers don't add up, I'm getting a total of 81 not 79 I think it has to do with pre/post cognition though. To me you're coming up 152 out of 150 so you need to shave a couple points down. Also while you're working on him you might want to think about picking up the ritualist feat, I think it would fit with this character rather well.

I've looked this guy over before and I liked him then. I like that you brought the magic power down some to fit within the trade off caps.

I think an angle of internal conflict might work well with this villain, with some of the other members of your order holding a grudge for you getting such a sweet assignment as Freedom City while they did not.

your stats are added wrong I get 25 not 26 so you save a point there. You've still got three skill ranks to place in your skills cause I only see you spending 57 and you've payed for 60...I suggest a rank of English and maybe some other more common languages. Your powers don't add up, I'm getting a total of 81 not 79 I think it has to do with pre/post cognition though. To me you're coming up 152 out of 150 so you need to shave a couple points down. Also while you're working on him you might want to think about picking up the ritualist feat, I think it would fit with this character rather well.

Beard

1] Thanks for the conceptual kudos.

2] RE: "Angle of internal conflict" is this a mechanically relevant thought, i.e. should I take some sort of disad for it, or just a RP element to keep in mind? FYI I like the idea...

3] So, apparently my ability to add has eroded with my memory and my waistline. Getting old sucks. I'll reswizzle, and repost the mechanicals (not the story).

4] As a reality check, I took a guess that "Immunity to Precog" would be a 1-pointer, same for "Immunity to Postcog." They were not listed, but do they seem reasonable costs?

5] I bought duration on "duplication" to "continuous" - if my interpretation of the rules is correct, this should allow me to set up my "clone" and then be able to cast other spells without it dissolving. That was the intention, at any rate... is my understanding correct? :-)

6] I bought a few of the powers as Dynamic Alternative Powers - I had asked a question on the boards about APs and found out the "only one at a time" rule - but it looks as though if you buy them as DAPs, you can use multiples at once provided you do not exceed the power point sum of the founding power. True?

7] I also bought a number of them with a range increase to "perception" assuming that would allow me to use ESP to extend my perception, and then cast the spell from a LOOOOOONG distance... am I correct?

Thanks for your time...

BR

Beard

2] RE: "Angle of internal conflict" is this a mechanically relevant thought, i.e. should I take some sort of disad for it, or just a RP element to keep in mind? FYI I like the idea...

3] So, apparently my ability to add has eroded with my memory and my waistline. Getting old sucks. I'll reswizzle, and repost the mechanicals (not the story).

4] As a reality check, I took a guess that "Immunity to Precog" would be a 1-pointer, same for "Immunity to Postcog." They were not listed, but do they seem reasonable costs?

5] I bought duration on "duplication" to "continuous" - if my interpretation of the rules is correct, this should allow me to set up my "clone" and then be able to cast other spells without it dissolving. That was the intention, at any rate... is my understanding correct? :-)

6] I bought a few of the powers as Dynamic Alternative Powers - I had asked a question on the boards about APs and found out the "only one at a time" rule - but it looks as though if you buy them as DAPs, you can use multiples at once provided you do not exceed the power point sum of the founding power. True?

7] I also bought a number of them with a range increase to "perception" assuming that would allow me to use ESP to extend my perception, and then cast the spell from a LOOOOOONG distance... am I correct?

Thanks for your time...

BR

Beard

Thanks for your time...

BR

1] don't worry about it there's a soft spot in my heart of wizards and warlocks of any stripe.

2] no disad per se just wanted to voice the idea here so any GM's who write for you might get some ideas from it.

3] thats fine, when you do I'll check the math again and see how he adds up, don't worry about it going bad with the numbers I'm not great with them either.

4] Immunity 2 grants immunity to powers of an uncommon descriptor which I think fits precog and postcog better than one which is reserved for common problems like aging and eating and sleeping (things everyone has to go through because of the environment they live in) although I'm not really sure even 2 point immunities are appropriate.

I'm going to go on a tangent here and voice my opinion about Precogition and Postcognition and say that I don't like them I've never liked them and I probably never will like them as powers. As plot elements they can be fine but as powers you can get a player who thinks they're entitled to know things that should be kept secret for the sake of the story. I'm not saying they can break a game they just make it a lot harder on the GM running it.

That aside I'm okay with 2point immunities for each unless another judge comes by and vetoes that idea.

5] Continuous powers cannot be part of an array. For that exact reason is why you can't make Regeneration part of an array for example. At least thats what my face to face GM's always told me...so no that won't work I'm afraid.

6] yes that part is very true, too that end I know some builds that buy more points worth of a power like magic than they technically need just so they can run multiple dynamic alternate powers at once...just a thought.

7] so far as I know you are correct but that could potentially be damaging so I'd like to confer with some other GM's about it before I let it go.

1] don't worry about it there's a soft spot in my heart of wizards and warlocks of any stripe.

2] no disad per se just wanted to voice the idea here so any GM's who write for you might get some ideas from it.

3] thats fine, when you do I'll check the math again and see how he adds up, don't worry about it going bad with the numbers I'm not great with them either.

4] Immunity 2 grants immunity to powers of an uncommon descriptor which I think fits precog and postcog better than one which is reserved for common problems like aging and eating and sleeping (things everyone has to go through because of the environment they live in) although I'm not really sure even 2 point immunities are appropriate.

I'm going to go on a tangent here and voice my opinion about Precogition and Postcognition and say that I don't like them I've never liked them and I probably never will like them as powers. As plot elements they can be fine but as powers you can get a player who thinks they're entitled to know things that should be kept secret for the sake of the story. I'm not saying they can break a game they just make it a lot harder on the GM running it.

That aside I'm okay with 2point immunities for each unless another judge comes by and vetoes that idea.

5] Continuous powers cannot be part of an array. For that exact reason is why you can't make Regeneration part of an array for example. At least thats what my face to face GM's always told me...so no that won't work I'm afraid.

6] yes that part is very true, too that end I know some builds that buy more points worth of a power like magic than they technically need just so they can run multiple dynamic alternate powers at once...just a thought.

7] so far as I know you are correct but that could potentially be damaging so I'd like to confer with some other GM's about it before I let it go.

OK, I've corrected the the math errors, made a few tweaks, per your suggestions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stats

Str: 11 +0

(Total Stats = 25)

Traits

Saves:

Fortitude: +6 (+3[stat] +3[save Buy-up])

Will: +5 (+2[stat] +3[save Buy-up])

(Total Traits = 17) [+3 Defense{6} +3 Fort Save +5 Reflex Save +3 Will Save]

Computers 8 +4 12

Gather Info 15 +3 18

Diplomacy 8 +2 10

Knowledge: Arcane Lore 15 +4 19

Language 8 na (English, Egyptian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Arabic)

Notice 6 +2 8

Sense Motive 4 +2 6

Feats:

Alternate Identity 1

Artificer 1

Eidetic Memory 1

Ritualist 1

Seize Initiative 1

Well-Informed 1

Wealth, x4 4

(Total Feats = 10)

Powers:

Spells

1] Hellish Nightmare (Mental Blast) Rank=12 Points=1 (AP)

2] Simulacrum (Duplicate) Rank=12 Points=1 (AP)

4/Rank (Base = 2, +1 Survival, +1 Duration (Continuous)); Range=Personal, Save=NA,

Feat: Mental Link Points=1 (Feat)

3] Magic Mirror (ESP) Rank=6 Points=2 (DAP)

Feat: Dimensional Points=1 (Feat)

4] Shadow Gate (Teleport) Rank=9 Points=2 (DAP)

5] Wraith Form (Linked Powers) Rank=NA Points=1

6] Subversion (Mental Transform) Rank=12 Points=2 (DAP)

7] Alchemy (Physical Transform) Rank=8 Points=2 (DAP)

Immunities

Suffocation=2

Super-Senses

Danger Sense=2

(Total Power Points=80)

Point Totals:

Stats: 25

Traits: 17

Powers: 80

OK, I've corrected the the math errors, made a few tweaks, per your suggestions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stats

(Total Stats = 25)

Traits

Saves:

Computers 8 +4 12

Gather Info 15 +3 18

Diplomacy 8 +2 10

Language 8 na (English, Egyptian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Arabic)

Notice 6 +2 8

Sense Motive 4 +2 6

Feats:

Alternate Identity 1

Artificer 1

Eidetic Memory 1

Ritualist 1

Seize Initiative 1

Well-Informed 1

Wealth, x4 4

(Total Feats = 10)

Powers:

Spells

4/Rank (Base = 2, +1 Survival, +1 Duration (Continuous)); Range=Personal, Save=NA,

Immunities

Suffocation=2

Super-Senses

Danger Sense=2

(Total Power Points=80)

Point Totals:

Stats

(Total Stats = 25)

Traits

Saves:

Computers 8 +4 12

Gather Info 15 +3 18

Diplomacy 8 +2 10

Notice 6 +2 8

Sense Motive 4 +2 6

Feats:

Alternate Identity 1

Artificer 1

Eidetic Memory 1

Ritualist 1

Seize Initiative 1

Well-Informed 1

Wealth, x4 4

(Total Feats = 10)

Powers:

Spells

Immunities

Suffocation=2

Super-Senses

Danger Sense=2

(Total Power Points=80)

Point Totals:

5] I bought duration on "duplication" to "continuous" - if my interpretation of the rules is correct, this should allow me to set up my "clone" and then be able to cast other spells without it dissolving. That was the intention, at any rate... is my understanding correct?

Continuous powers can be a part of an array, but they do "turn off" when you switch powers in an array. That's the "trade-off" for the huge cost savings of alt/dyn powers. The only way to make a power function independently is

1) Buy them separately

2) Buy it with the Independent Extra (UP, page 100).

Also, your perception based powers are not capped by trade-offs because they do not require an attack roll. They are capped by PL, so your Mental Transform and your Mental Blast should be rank 10 not 12. (Kudos to Heridfel for noticing this too. 8-) )

5] I bought duration on "duplication" to "continuous" - if my interpretation of the rules is correct, this should allow me to set up my "clone" and then be able to cast other spells without it dissolving. That was the intention, at any rate... is my understanding correct?

Continuous powers can be a part of an array, but they do "turn off" when you switch powers in an array. That's the "trade-off" for the huge cost savings of alt/dyn powers. The only way to make a power function independently is

1) Buy them separately

Also, your perception based powers are not capped by trade-offs because they do not require an attack roll. They are capped by PL, so your Mental Transform and your Mental Blast should be rank 10 not 12. (Kudos to Heridfel for noticing this too. 8-) )

1) Buy them separately

I made two (hopefully final!) adjustments:

1] I capped Hellish Nightmares and Subversion at 10, but I did it with a notation so that if the PL increases, so can the power;

2] I added "Independent" to the Simulacrum power, and changed out "Continuous" for "Heroic". This way the duplicate will last for 48 rounds before expiring. And I can take a round and renew it should I need to, resetting the counter.

Stats

(Total Stats = 25)

Traits

Saves:

Computers 8 +4 12

Gather Info 15 +2 17

Diplomacy 8 +2 10

Language 8 na

Notice 6 +2 8

Sense Motive 4 +2 7

Feats:

Alternate Identity 1

Artificer 1

Eidetic Memory 1

Ritualist 1

Seize Initiative 1

Well-Informed 1

Wealth, x4 4

(Total Feats = 10)

Powers:

Spells

1] Hellish Nightmare (Mental Blast) Rank=10* Points=1 (AP)

4/Rank (Base = 2, +1 Survival, +1 Heroic, +0 Independent (48 Rounds); Range=Personal, Save=NA,

6] Subversion (Mental Transform Rank=10* Points=2 (DAP)

*Rank=12, Capped at 10

Immunities

Suffocation=2

Super-Senses

Danger Sense=2

(Total Power Points=78)

Point Totals:

Powers: 78

1] I capped Hellish Nightmares and Subversion at 10, but I did it with a notation so that if the PL increases, so can the power;

2] I added "Independent" to the Simulacrum power, and changed out "Continuous" for "Heroic". This way the duplicate will last for 48 rounds before expiring. And I can take a round and renew it should I need to, resetting the counter.

Stats

(Total Stats = 25)

Traits

Saves:

Computers 8 +4 12

Gather Info 15 +2 17

Diplomacy 8 +2 10

Language 8 na

Notice 6 +2 8

Sense Motive 4 +2 7

Feats:

Alternate Identity 1

Artificer 1

Eidetic Memory 1

Ritualist 1

Seize Initiative 1

Well-Informed 1

Wealth, x4 4

(Total Feats = 10)

Powers:

Spells

4/Rank (Base = 2, +1 Survival, +1 Heroic, +0 Independent (48 Rounds); Range=Personal, Save=NA,

*Rank=12, Capped at 10

Immunities

Suffocation=2

Super-Senses

Danger Sense=2

(Total Power Points=78)

Point Totals:

Stats

(Total Stats = 25)

Traits

Saves:

Computers 8 +4 12

Gather Info 15 +2 17

Diplomacy 8 +2 10

Language 8 na

Notice 6 +2 8

Sense Motive 4 +2 7

Feats:

Alternate Identity 1

Artificer 1

Eidetic Memory 1

Ritualist 1

Seize Initiative 1

Well-Informed 1

Wealth, x4 4

(Total Feats = 10)

Powers:

Spells

*Rank=12, Capped at 10

Immunities

Suffocation=2

Super-Senses

Danger Sense=2

(Total Power Points=78)

Point Totals: