Mind Control or Emotion Control?

Sandman XI

So I was watching this video (warning, a smidge religious) and I got to thinking. What if someone were to break down free will into a psychological scientific code. Yes, I'm thinking of Silver Age "SCIENCE!" not real science. Would this be Mind Control or Emotion Control? That being said, everything ethical would be a psychological scientific code ... so could the good guys use this?

So I was watching this video (warning, a smidge religious) and I got to thinking. What if someone were to break down free will into a psychological scientific code. Yes, I'm thinking of Silver Age "SCIENCE!" not real science. Would this be Mind Control or Emotion Control? That being said, everything ethical would be a psychological scientific code ... so could the good guys use this?

Well, for one, he's using flawed logic to make points. Flawed logic, of course, being presupposing an outcome and structuring an argument to reach that conclusion.

I find Determinism to be demeaning to me as person, frankly. Fate and logic do not go hand in hand. And you will note that he makes no attempt to forward the suggestion that they do. Furthermore, he undermines his entire argument by saying that we will continue to act as if we have free will whether we do or not, in which case it doesn't matter. It's a circular, open-ended argument that's impossible to prove or disprove, and thus he feels secure in hiding behind it's comfortingly obtuse "logic".

My take? If it looks like free will, smells like free will, and acts like free will, it's sure as hell not ravioli. :)

Well, for one, he's using flawed logic to make points. Flawed logic, of course, being presupposing an outcome and structuring an argument to reach that conclusion.

I find Determinism to be demeaning to me as person, frankly. Fate and logic do not go hand in hand. And you will note that he makes no attempt to forward the suggestion that they do. Furthermore, he undermines his entire argument by saying that we will continue to act as if we have free will whether we do or not, in which case it doesn't matter. It's a circular, open-ended argument that's impossible to prove or disprove, and thus he feels secure in hiding behind it's comfortingly obtuse "logic".

My take? If it looks like free will, smells like free will, and acts like free will, it's sure as hell not ravioli. :)

In game terms, it depends entirely on what effect you are looking to produce. If you are thinking of a character who can "rewrite" someones entire "free will code" however you like, then it would be Mind Control. If you are thinking of a character who can only modify that code to a limited degree, then it could be "emotion control" or a limited Mind Control.

All other discussions about free will, determinism, atheism, and religion should be carried out somewhere else.

Please. :D

In game terms, it depends entirely on what effect you are looking to produce. If you are thinking of a character who can "rewrite" someones entire "free will code" however you like, then it would be Mind Control. If you are thinking of a character who can only modify that code to a limited degree, then it could be "emotion control" or a limited Mind Control.

All other discussions about free will, determinism, atheism, and religion should be carried out somewhere else.