Moving Darkness

Nightshyft

OK...this is something I am considering, opinions and thoughts appreciated:

Darkness Control w/EXTRA: Tether

In this case, Tether allows character to create a field of darkness that moves WITH him as a free action instead of a standard action to move it.

This would change the cost of Darkness Control from 2/rank to 3/rank.

In this case, Tether allows character to create a field of darkness that moves WITH him as a free action instead of a standard action to move it.

Also, for the record, it only takes a move action to reposition an Obscure effect that has been created. It takes a standard action to make the Obscure in the first place.

I agree that "Moveable" is appropriate for a +1 extra. It's probably a little weak for an extra, actually, but it's more than a power feat.

Also, for the record, it only takes a move action to reposition an Obscure effect that has been created. It takes a standard action to make the Obscure in the first place.

I agree that "Moveable" is appropriate for a +1 extra. It's probably a little weak for an extra, actually, but it's more than a power feat.

Thanks guys...as for weak, not really when you compare the implications behind it. The darkness controller never needs to spend a move action to keep it centered upon himself...and when combined with feats like Move-by Action and Takedown Attack, it really shines. Other feats like Redirect and Interpose gain from it too, thematically if not mechanically.

Thanks guys...as for weak, not really when you compare the implications behind it. The darkness controller never needs to spend a move action to keep it centered upon himself...and when combined with feats like Move-by Action and Takedown Attack, it really shines. Other feats like Redirect and Interpose gain from it too, thematically if not mechanically.

I think it is a bit weak compared to some other +1 Extras (e.g. Perception Range and Area), but that's just the nature of the game. Obscure does have some advantages over Concealment (which you have to pay for), and adding this +1 Extra eliminates some of the disadvantages of choosing Obscure over Concealment. The price is just about right, I think. I don't think this extra will make Obscure much more potent than Concealment when used with Move-by Attack and Takedown attack. They (Obscure and Concealment) both do the same thing mechanically: they make you harder to hit (impossible in many cases), and they make your opponents easier to hit (losing dodge bonus to Defense). You do have the extra advantage of making other people harder to hit (and you pay for that advantage), so if you were on a team that could all see in the dark, it would be a very effective tactic indeed.

I think it is a bit weak compared to some other +1 Extras (e.g. Perception Range and Area), but that's just the nature of the game. Obscure does have some advantages over Concealment (which you have to pay for), and adding this +1 Extra eliminates some of the disadvantages of choosing Obscure over Concealment. The price is just about right, I think. I don't think this extra will make Obscure much more potent than Concealment when used with Move-by Attack and Takedown attack. They (Obscure and Concealment) both do the same thing mechanically: they make you harder to hit (impossible in many cases), and they make your opponents easier to hit (losing dodge bonus to Defense). You do have the extra advantage of making other people harder to hit (and you pay for that advantage), so if you were on a team that could all see in the dark, it would be a very effective tactic indeed.