Learning the Ropes

Heritage

"Yeah, it can be pretty sweet at times. Jumpin' across rooftops beats gettin' stuck in traffic. Nice view, too." Nightrival walks to the western edge of the roof and turns to Grim. "Alright, there's a bunch a bad guys out there who need ta lose some teeth. Stay frosty."

Dear God, let me make this jump, so that I might impress Nightrival and learn from him, and also not die.

Despite her doubts, Grim makes the jump look easy as she quickly moves to catch up with him; when she does, she stops and holds up a hand.

"Wait, do you hear that? Sounds like breaking glass."

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NightrivalHS.jpg

"Nope. No, wait." Nightrival pauses, tuning his ears to the sound. He picks up a faint tinkling noise from a block away, like glass shards hitting the pavement. "There it is. Nice one, Grim."

He shoots her a knowing look and dashes across the rooftops towards the source. His mind blank yet focused, Nightrival pumps his muscles to get there as quickly as possible. Anyone bold enough to commit a crime so close to the shelter is either dangerous or foolish. Nightrival's presence is well known in this part of Southside, and stopping a hood from pulling some petty crime will send a message to the rest of them: stay away or else.

There is another reason crooks avoid it but Nightrival is completely unaware of the fact; the mob has declared the shelter to be under their protection.

He arrives at the building closest to where the sound was heard. "Stay low and don't get spotted," he whispers. "Always scout yer target before confrontin' 'em." Slipping into the nearby shadows, Nightrival creeps to the edge of the roof and looks down.

NightrivalHS.jpg

"Nope. No, wait." Nightrival pauses, tuning his ears to the sound. He picks up a faint tinkling noise from a block away, like glass shards hitting the pavement. "There it is. Nice one, Grim."

He shoots her a knowing look and dashes across the rooftops towards the source. His mind blank yet focused, Nightrival pumps his muscles to get there as quickly as possible. Anyone bold enough to commit a crime so close to the shelter is either dangerous or foolish. Nightrival's presence is well known in this part of Southside, and stopping a hood from pulling some petty crime will send a message to the rest of them: stay away or else.

There is another reason crooks avoid it but Nightrival is completely unaware of the fact; the mob has declared the shelter to be under their protection.

He arrives at the building closest to where the sound was heard. "Stay low and don't get spotted," he whispers. "Always scout yer target before confrontin' 'em." Slipping into the nearby shadows, Nightrival creeps to the edge of the roof and looks down.

NightrivalHS.jpg

"There it is. Nice one, Grim."

Grim smiles to herself, glad for an acknowledgment that she actually knows what she's doing.

I'm too hard on myself; just because I screw up from time to time doesn't mean I'm not good at this stuff.

"Not getting spotted is what I do best."

She disappears from human sight, opting to stay low anyway out of habit and precaution as she follows behind; when she's beside Nightrival, she whispers a warning so as to not shock him into attack mode.

"I'm putting my hand on your leg, so you know where I am."

After gently placing a small hand on his well-muscled thigh, she also peers down into the alley, where a break-in appears to be in progress; from their builds and movement, it looks to be two young men, both with shaved heads, wearing black leather jackets. They've smashed the safety glass on the rear entrance to a warehouse of some kind, and one is trying to reach inside to unlock the door while the other keeps watch.

Grim smiles to herself, glad for an acknowledgment that she actually knows what she's doing.

I'm too hard on myself; just because I screw up from time to time doesn't mean I'm not good at this stuff.

She disappears from human sight, opting to stay low anyway out of habit and precaution as she follows behind; when she's beside Nightrival, she whispers a warning so as to not shock him into attack mode.

After gently placing a small hand on his well-muscled thigh, she also peers down into the alley, where a break-in appears to be in progress; from their builds and movement, it looks to be two young men, both with shaved heads, wearing black leather jackets. They've smashed the safety glass on the rear entrance to a warehouse of some kind, and one is trying to reach inside to unlock the door while the other keeps watch.

NightrivalHS.jpg

Nightrival tightens his fists. "I know these guys," he whispers. "They call themselves the Brotherhood; a bunch o' skinheads who harrass folks or just shake 'em down for their cash." He ducks his head back into the shadows and turns to Grim. "I dunno why they're drifting over ta this side o' the 'hood. They're gettin' bolder."

He opens his hands and grips the ledge as he surveys the two crooks. "There's just two of 'em. Ya take the lead, I'll be right behind ya."

NightrivalHS.jpg

Nightrival tightens his fists. "I know these guys," he whispers. "They call themselves the Brotherhood; a bunch o' skinheads who harrass folks or just shake 'em down for their cash." He ducks his head back into the shadows and turns to Grim. "I dunno why they're drifting over ta this side o' the 'hood. They're gettin' bolder."

He opens his hands and grips the ledge as he surveys the two crooks. "There's just two of 'em. Ya take the lead, I'll be right behind ya."

NightrivalHS.jpg

There is no mistaking the almost feral edge in Grim's voice when the invisible super speaks.

"We get to beat up skinheads? Well, that just made this little Jewish girl's night."

She quickly makes her way down to the alley and gets within ten feet of the punks, and then she does something surprising, even for her: she drops her blending ability and makes herself fully visible, smiling with her hands on her hips.

"Shalom aleichem, boys; nice night for a little B and E, huh?"

There is no mistaking the almost feral edge in Grim's voice when the invisible super speaks.

"We get to beat up skinheads? Well, that just made this little Jewish girl's night."

She quickly makes her way down to the alley and gets within ten feet of the punks, and then she does something surprising, even for her: she drops her blending ability and makes herself fully visible, smiling with her hands on her hips.

Whether it was Grim's sudden entrance or her spouting of a language to which they were gratefully unfamiliar with, the two thugs froze in surprise for a second. The one on the right was larger than his friend, sporting a half a dozen tattoos espousing his affiliation and feelings towards those that didn't look like him. And the one on the left, while smaller, was perhaps even worse in that regard, as he had a Nazi swastika literally carved into his forehead in a sickening tribute to both hatred and one of the worst serial killers in American history.

Grim felt her hackles rise even further as they both sprang into action at the same time, hooting and hollering things that most civilized people would find disgusting. Of course, I wouldn't call these goons civilized, Grim mused as she took a fighting stance.

Unfortunately, it wasn't enough. The two Brotherhood thugs must have really been feeling their oats that night, as after a flurry of motion, the bigger one struck Grim in the shoulder, enabling his buddy to nail her in the back as she was twirled around by the force of the first blow.

"Yeah, that's what you get, chicky! You don't *&^% with the Brotherhood!" the little one, whom Grim had dubbed "scooter", taunted. The larger one hung back a bit, thumping his crowbar against his palm menacingly.

Whether it was Grim's sudden entrance or her spouting of a language to which they were gratefully unfamiliar with, the two thugs froze in surprise for a second. The one on the right was larger than his friend, sporting a half a dozen tattoos espousing his affiliation and feelings towards those that didn't look like him. And the one on the left, while smaller, was perhaps even worse in that regard, as he had a Nazi swastika literally carved into his forehead in a sickening tribute to both hatred and one of the worst serial killers in American history.

Grim felt her hackles rise even further as they both sprang into action at the same time, hooting and hollering things that most civilized people would find disgusting. Of course, I wouldn't call these goons civilized, Grim mused as she took a fighting stance.

Unfortunately, it wasn't enough. The two Brotherhood thugs must have really been feeling their oats that night, as after a flurry of motion, the bigger one struck Grim in the shoulder, enabling his buddy to nail her in the back as she was twirled around by the force of the first blow.

"Yeah, that's what you get, chicky! You don't *&^% with the Brotherhood!" the little one, whom Grim had dubbed "scooter", taunted. The larger one hung back a bit, thumping his crowbar against his palm menacingly.

Ohhh, I'm gonna feel like crap tomorrow...assuming I survive tonight.

Grim staggers an unsteady step forward as the two Neanderthals bounce on their toes, whooping and giving each other high fives. Her eyes swim with the pain throbbing in her shoulder and back as she desperately tries to push the hurt down and focus on not dying, and maybe even a little payback.

Don't be such a girl! You can take these idiots! Fight it! Fight it!

Grim staggers an unsteady step forward as the two Neanderthals bounce on their toes, whooping and giving each other high fives. Her eyes swim with the pain throbbing in her shoulder and back as she desperately tries to push the hurt down and focus on not dying, and maybe even a little payback.

NightrivalHS.jpg

Nightrival's pupils expand like green flowers in spring.

Oh, man. This is my fault.

Like a coiled spring wound into an impossible tension, he explodes from out behind the trash cans and shadows. Nightrival hops a few feet into the air and releases a spinning back kick at the skinhead standing over Grim, sending his foot into the goon's skull. Settled back onto the pavement with his back facing the crowbar-wielding skinhead, Nightrival slides backwards and drives his elbow into his chest.

NightrivalHS.jpg

Like a coiled spring wound into an impossible tension, he explodes from out behind the trash cans and shadows. Nightrival hops a few feet into the air and releases a spinning back kick at the skinhead standing over Grim, sending his foot into the goon's skull. Settled back onto the pavement with his back facing the crowbar-wielding skinhead, Nightrival slides backwards and drives his elbow into his chest.

NightrivalHS.jpg