Learning the Ropes

Heritage

"Ya got some fight in ya," he asserts. "Good. But fightin' ain't about hurtin' others; it's about survivin'. Ya need my help? Fine, ya got it. But I'm not gonna show ya how ta dominate, just control. I don't help bullies and killers."

Nightrival draws away from Grimalkin. "First things first. What exactly do ya need?"

Grim holds up her hands, palms forward.

"I'm not looking to master the mystic paths of Dim Sum or anything like that; I want to learn how to drop a guy, fast, and leave him breathing. I want to stop coming home with pieces of me missing every night; I'd settle for every other night and be happy."

She looks down at her knee-high boots and sighs.

"And I want to learn first aid, so I can help people after the fighting's over."

Grim looks back up and meets Nightrival's eyes.

"So how much of that can you teach me?"

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Ya got some fight in ya," he asserts. "Good. But fightin' ain't about hurtin' others; it's about survivin'. Ya need my help? Fine, ya got it. But I'm not gonna show ya how ta dominate, just control. I don't help bullies and killers."

Nightrival draws away from Grimalkin. "First things first. What exactly do ya need?"

Grim holds up her hands, palms forward.

"I'm not looking to master the mystic paths of Dim Sum or anything like that; I want to learn how to drop a guy, fast, and leave him breathing. I want to stop coming home with pieces of me missing every night; I'd settle for every other night and be happy."

She looks down at her knee-high boots and sighs.

"And I want to learn first aid, so I can help people after the fighting's over."

Grim looks back up and meets Nightrival's eyes.

NightrivalHS.jpg

"Huh. Well, mendin' folks is not in my job description," Nightrival replies with a shrug. "If there's an injury I call for an ambulance. But if ya wanna learn a few moves to keep yer head inna fight, then we got somethin' ta talk about."

He suddenly encounters a nagging guilt. He wants to help her, but knowing that he is coming closer to completing his project conflicts with his sincere intent to protect the Southside. He doesn't wish to overlook his oath yet exclude the possibility of expanding his mission. The two sides appear incompatible, like oil and water. Nightrival nods to himself and clears his throat.

"I wasn't goin' ta be on patrol tonight, but I can change that. Why don't ya come with me? Might as well dive in."

NightrivalHS.jpg

"Huh. Well, mendin' folks is not in my job description," Nightrival replies with a shrug. "If there's an injury I call for an ambulance. But if ya wanna learn a few moves to keep yer head inna fight, then we got somethin' ta talk about."

He suddenly encounters a nagging guilt. He wants to help her, but knowing that he is coming closer to completing his project conflicts with his sincere intent to protect the Southside. He doesn't wish to overlook his oath yet exclude the possibility of expanding his mission. The two sides appear incompatible, like oil and water. Nightrival nods to himself and clears his throat.

"I wasn't goin' ta be on patrol tonight, but I can change that. Why don't ya come with me? Might as well dive in."

NightrivalHS.jpg

Grim nods thoughtfully.

"That's cool; I guess I can always check out books from the library on the first aid stuff, or maybe they offer a class at the Y."

She looks up somewhat apologetically.

"Oh, I'm sorry; here I am talking about what I need, and no consideration for your schedule. And I don't want to cramp your style or get you killed or anything, so, whatever's good for you."

Grim nods thoughtfully.

"That's cool; I guess I can always check out books from the library on the first aid stuff, or maybe they offer a class at the Y."

"Oh, I'm sorry; here I am talking about what I need, and no consideration for your schedule. And I don't want to cramp your style or get you killed or anything, so, whatever's good for you."

Grim nods thoughtfully.

NightrivalHS.jpg

Hearing Grim's concern for his needs stabs deep. He masks his grimace by gazing at the pavement, and finding a stray bottle he catches it under his foot and rolls it around in lazy circles. I'll see what she can do, he reasons, then I'll know if she's a potential candidate. I'm gonna need all the help I can.

"Hey, not a problem. I could use the company. Besides, I ain't got no style."

Nightrival slips his foot under the bottle and snaps his ankle to send it flying up into his hand. He tosses it into the dumpster then begins walking into the alley, beckoning Grim to follow him.

"Let's go see what is there ta see. Ya gotta route in the Fens?"

NightrivalHS.jpg

Hearing Grim's concern for his needs stabs deep. He masks his grimace by gazing at the pavement, and finding a stray bottle he catches it under his foot and rolls it around in lazy circles. I'll see what she can do, he reasons, then I'll know if she's a potential candidate. I'm gonna need all the help I can.

Nightrival slips his foot under the bottle and snaps his ankle to send it flying up into his hand. He tosses it into the dumpster then begins walking into the alley, beckoning Grim to follow him.

NightrivalHS.jpg

Grim nods as she follows along, making sure to stick close to one wall.

"Yeah, I have three regular patrols I do, and I try to mix them up; sometimes I'll do one two days in a row, just to mess with them. Also since I'm good at climbing, some days I'll do it at street level, other times rooftop to rooftop, and again I mix it up a bit, y'know, up-down, up-down. I mean, I'm damn near invisible when I'm out there, but that doesn't mean you can't be seen, right?"

"Yeah, I have three regular patrols I do, and I try to mix them up; sometimes I'll do one two days in a row, just to mess with them. Also since I'm good at climbing, some days I'll do it at street level, other times rooftop to rooftop, and again I mix it up a bit, y'know, up-down, up-down. I mean, I'm damn near invisible when I'm out there, but that doesn't mean you can't be seen, right?"

NightrivalHS.jpg

"For sure. There's plenty o' folks who see straight through anything these days." Nightrival looks up to the roofs above and points to them with his thumb. "So ya do rooftop thing too, eh? Awesome. It's beginnin' to stink a little down here."

He leaps ten feet into the air, snags an awning and backflips back onto the shelter's roof, scrambling up the last foot to reach it. He leans over the edge and looks down to Grim.

"It's good ta mix up yer route; keep's 'em guessin'. I do the same, but 'cause this 'hood's so huge I gotta work inna circle. Wide at first then make my way ta the center."

Nightrival straightens up and gazes out to the entirety of Southside. The sky is lit in reds and greens and whites, and the streets roar with evening traffic. A clear-cut skyline composed of tenements and brownstones etch their likeness into the horizon, and each building is dotted with rectangular panels of light. He smells the air and continues talking, as though the neighbourhood is listening.

"Sounds like ya got the route thing down. I'm gonna head west just below the Boardwalk and check out Pennsylvania. Maybe we'll see some action tonight." He returns his gaze to Grim. "So, any questions so far?"

NightrivalHS.jpg

"For sure. There's plenty o' folks who see straight through anything these days." Nightrival looks up to the roofs above and points to them with his thumb. "So ya do rooftop thing too, eh? Awesome. It's beginnin' to stink a little down here."

He leaps ten feet into the air, snags an awning and backflips back onto the shelter's roof, scrambling up the last foot to reach it. He leans over the edge and looks down to Grim.

"It's good ta mix up yer route; keep's 'em guessin'. I do the same, but 'cause this 'hood's so huge I gotta work inna circle. Wide at first then make my way ta the center."

Nightrival straightens up and gazes out to the entirety of Southside. The sky is lit in reds and greens and whites, and the streets roar with evening traffic. A clear-cut skyline composed of tenements and brownstones etch their likeness into the horizon, and each building is dotted with rectangular panels of light. He smells the air and continues talking, as though the neighbourhood is listening.

"Sounds like ya got the route thing down. I'm gonna head west just below the Boardwalk and check out Pennsylvania. Maybe we'll see some action tonight." He returns his gaze to Grim. "So, any questions so far?"

NightrivalHS.jpg

Grim can pretty much only stand there and gape at Nightrival's effortless ascent to the top of the shelter, all the more impressive since it doesn't seem to involve any overt powers.

"Uh, nothing is springing to mind; of course your butt-kicking gymnastics routine just shut down most of my brain, so that's to be expected."

The young heroine opts to scale the wall her own way, effortlessly climbing to the top using her claws to take advantage of the tiniest gaps in the mortar; she scampers onto the roof and takes a moment to enjoy the view.

"Wow, gotta love this job, huh? Okay, you lead the way and I'll try not to die."

Grim can pretty much only stand there and gape at Nightrival's effortless ascent to the top of the shelter, all the more impressive since it doesn't seem to involve any overt powers.

"Uh, nothing is springing to mind; of course your butt-kicking gymnastics routine just shut down most of my brain, so that's to be expected."

The young heroine opts to scale the wall her own way, effortlessly climbing to the top using her claws to take advantage of the tiniest gaps in the mortar; she scampers onto the roof and takes a moment to enjoy the view.

"Wow, gotta love this job, huh? Okay, you lead the way and I'll try not to die."

NightrivalHS.jpg

"Flattery will get ya everywhere," replies Nightrival, blushing under his mask.

Grim's agile climbing leaves a mark on Nighrival. She's got the tools for the job, and she can use 'em like a pro.

"Yeah, it can be pretty sweet at times. Jumpin' across rooftops beats gettin' stuck in traffic. Nice view, too." Nightrival walks to the western edge of the roof and turns to Grim. "Alright, there's a bunch a bad guys out there who need ta lose some teeth. Stay frosty."

He leaps across the chasm to the neighbouring roof, lands on his feet and hands then sprints to the next roof.

NightrivalHS.jpg

Grim's agile climbing leaves a mark on Nighrival. She's got the tools for the job, and she can use 'em like a pro.

"Yeah, it can be pretty sweet at times. Jumpin' across rooftops beats gettin' stuck in traffic. Nice view, too." Nightrival walks to the western edge of the roof and turns to Grim. "Alright, there's a bunch a bad guys out there who need ta lose some teeth. Stay frosty."

He leaps across the chasm to the neighbouring roof, lands on his feet and hands then sprints to the next roof.

NightrivalHS.jpg

Dear God, let me make this jump, so that I might impress Nightrival and learn from him, and also not die.

Despite her doubts, Grim makes the jump look easy as she quickly moves to catch up with him; when she does, she stops and holds up a hand.

"Wait, do you hear that? Sounds like breaking glass."

Dear God, let me make this jump, so that I might impress Nightrival and learn from him, and also not die.

Despite her doubts, Grim makes the jump look easy as she quickly moves to catch up with him; when she does, she stops and holds up a hand.

"Wait, do you hear that? Sounds like breaking glass."