Russian Reactors are Reliable (IC)

Supercape

Dragonfly flicked her multi-tool closed, putting it back in its pouch as she straightened up from the workbench, stretching a bit. "Surprised nobody noticed radiation leaks earlier," she noted, holding two heavy steel-and-brass armbands up to inspect them. "Seems like something safeties should catch...mmh. Will have to see. Protection...."

She pulled her sleeves up a little and clasped a band on each upper arm; as soon as the second one latched shut the glass and seams of both lit up with a soft red glow, and a quick check with her datalink made sure that they were indeed working as intended. didn't blow up - good - Ellie would be upset "Should be fine. Not a perfect radiation shield, but should stop, shunt, or absorb anything but a directed assaults. Not expecting those...still. Never know."

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Marvellous!" said Supercape, with a clap of his hands.

Yes, she could probably make a nuclear bomb out of a cathode ray black and white TV set...

He placed a hand on her shoulder in a friendly manner.

"Ready?" he asked, without waiting for a reply. And two points in the space-time continuum of the multiverse became entangled. Supercape and Dragonfly passed through them.

The Siberian weather was cold, in the low minus thirties. Snow lay on the ground a foot deep, and a more brisk breeze was present. Without good clothing, a man would die quickly. They were outside a logging plant, abandoned at this time of the night. Machinery, in the form of large heavy vehicles, transports and saws, lay about, alongside stacks of trunks. A few buildings also stood in the enclosure, which was enclosed with a rudimentary fence. SIberia was not heavily populated this far north, and crime was not common.

Dragonfly may not have had clothing worthy of the weather, but her new toys seemed to do the job well enough - she made a barely-audible pleased-sounding hum, putting her hands in her pockets and looking around...and then a slightly less-pleased noise as sinking into the snow robbed her of some of her already scarce height. "Desolate," she noted. "Protection poor...suppose it would be. Not worth enduring the cold for machines that are unlikely to run frozen. Radiation leak?"

"Yes Indeed" replied Supercape observing the site with more than eyes. The area was indeed flooded with radiation, lethal in prolonged exposure. His own costume, and the suits of the Russian clean up team would be more than ample to protect them however.

"There is, however, something very odd about the radiation here..." he said. "Odd. Why here? not the kind of spectrum from a reactor either. And electrogmagnetic disturbances are very strange...Look out!"

As he and Dragonfly spoke, an arc of eletricity sparked from one machine to another with huge force, connecting one machine to another with blue white lightning.

"Stay out of this!"

The blue white lightning arced and bent, and from the ground a blindingly blue light in the shape of a man arose, incandescent with shimmering radiation.

"Americans! and an Englishman! Hardly better. I will soon have enough power... to destroy you all muahahaha!"

Supercape started to reply "I say.. there is no call for all of tha..." before being interrupted by a brilliant blue white bolt of untold power that struck him squarely in the chest and exploded. There was an awful crackling of electricity and ozone, and the air itself seemed to sizzle. Supercape sunk to his knees, his eyes rolling.

"...t..." he concluded, before gazing at Dragonfly. "Sorry, I do appear to be fainting..." he whispered, as his eyes closed and he sunk to the ground.

Dragonfly made a strangled noise, stepping away from Supercape as he went down and bringing her own defenses up and to the ready. hostile - seems familiar - lightning bolts? - unusual - feeding on nearby sources? - seem to be better places - not as physically tough as Supercape - talk - hate talking "Who - what - are you?"

GM

"I am Hiroshima Shadow, gaijin!" replied the incandescent figure who glowed and continued to emit pulsating blue white sparks and radiation.

"And this is my feast. I have grown more powerful than you can..."

His face writhed in pain as his body convulsed with a wave of powerful electricity and flared even brighter for a second.

"...possibly...imagine" he groaned before continuing "and the West will feel my wrath, a terrible wrath like a thousand suns!"

• 2 weeks later...

"Hurt? I think you are mistaken! Muahaha! There is no paiiiiiii....." he grimaced as more electricity and light coursed through his glowing body.

"...in... Only power!"

He struggled to regain composure before fixing his daze once more on Dragonfly.

"I have become more powerful than you can possibly imagine... and I will become more powerful still! Now leave, before I blast you to atoms!!!" he roared, and raised a lightning coursed fist.

GM

Hiroshima Shadow neatly ducked under the pulsating energy blast of Dragonfly's gauntlets and returned fire, emitting a stream of radiation straight at the young heroine.

"Weak Gaijin!" he laughed, muttering something in Japanese, and grimacing again as electricity coursed through his body.

"Enough, you will soon discover the true extent of my power!" he proclaimed, leaping into the sky and flying away.

Dragonfly was blown clear off her feet; her force field took the worst of the attack but not nearly enough to fully protect her, and she was knocked head over heels backwards into the snow, where she lay steaming and watching stars circle her head while Hiroshima took off.

"" she commented in Russian, once her brain worked right again, ""

Supercape groaned slightly and spat out a mouthful of snow, mixed in with blood.

"oooooh.... what happened...." he whispered, still not entirely conscious.

"I feel like a was hit by a freight train. Where are we? Who was that? Ow! my whole body hurts! I'm frazzled..."

Indeed, his exquisite costume looked ragged and burned, with carbon marks all over it from the massive energy burst it had absorbed. Supercape didn't look in much better shape himself, with bloodshot eyes, bleeding from his nose, ears, and mouth, and a reddisg black tinge to his face and hands.

Protected as she was by her armband devices, Dragonfly had been content to stay out in the snow and was currently sitting on a rock she'd managed to clear at least some of the drifts off of. She'd much rather have been investigating things, but didn't quite trust the amount of radiation Hiroshima Shadow was capable of leaving behind. didn't want to leave Supercape to get buried in snow either - don't tell him that "Hiroshima Shadow," she supplied, wryly. "Got me too...force field took the worst of it, however. Something wrong with him. More wrong than normal, I mean."

"Oh dear" muttered Supercape.

"I really am in quite a lot of pain, which is rather disagreeable. I don't suppose you have an Asprin?" he asked with a weak smile. "All I senses was this massive... and I do mean massive burst of power. And not the hammer that hit me either. Looking at him was like looking into the heart of a nuclear explosion. I think he has bitten of more than he can chew..."

He winced as he moved. "I think I need some medical attention. I don't suppose your magnificent intellect has stretched to the noble art of medicine?"

Dragonfly shook her head. "No. Some basic biology knowledge, but no practical medicine. Only work on things that bleed oil. No Aspirin, either. Usually just try to ignore my headaches. Would likely overdose, otherwise. Would transport you safely back to base but you teleported us out here...don't know where to go." She glanced at where Shadow had come up from the ground, frowning. "Unsettling. Not known for attacking with electricity. Seemed to be in a lot of pain. Loss of control in a villain born from nuclear forces would be...unfortunate."

"Too say the least" groaned Supercape. He really was in pain, his body stinging all over and his head ringing.

"I'll settle for an Asprin of course, anything would be good. However, I am worried about Hiroshima... if he looses control of whatever has happened to him, his threats may not be entirely idle. I think we need to get back to the power station...."

Putting his hand on Dragonfly, another wobble occurred in the space time continuum, and in a few seconds, they reappeared where they had left, in the empty workshop.

"Here we are..." groaned Supercape. "Now, about that Asprin..." he mumbled as he sank to his knees and his eyes glazed over.

Dragonfly grimaced, ducking down to keep Supercape from smashing face-first into the ground, carefully laying him down on the floor. She glanced around the room, her gaze settling on an intercom panel as lights danced behind her eyes. "" came the slightly-distorted voice over the speakers. "

Despite his pain, there was nothing wrong with Supercape's extraordinary senses. He could pick up the chatter through the intercom without any problem.

"" blurted out the speaker. Of course, Supercape couldn't speak Russian so he had no idea what they were saying.

"" came Russian voice over the intercom.

"That's Jolly nice of them, they sound concerned!" remarked Supercape, not understanding a word.

When she was at least reasonably sure Supercape wasn't going to brain himself on the edge of a table before the medical team arrived, Dragonfly sat back against a workbench and slid a hand between her face and her visor, rubbing the bridge of her nose. "Mostly. Told them Hiroshima was in the area. They're dispatching security, decontamination, engineers....seems...oddly specific. Reactor B containment module." She frowned, glancing at the intercom. "....suspiciously specific."

"Oh dear..." muttered Supercape, before closing his eyes and concentrating.

It took some doing, but he had soon worked out the entanglement between here and there, and the flow of energies between the two meant he could sense all that was occurring in Reactor B.

Namely, a massive surge of energy that was all to familiar.

"Its Hiroshima. He is bleeding the reactor dry... no wonder he has bitten off more than he can chew. He has gorged himself beyond his capacity to control!"

Dragonfly frowned, tapping a finger on her leg. "Seems...odd. Out of place. Not the power-feeding. Electricity? Wouldn't expect that; would expect more radiation. Nuclear reactor, nuclear containment, nuclear power, nuclear villain. Electricity is...mmh." She scowled, shaking her head. "Missing information, maybe. Not enough data. Unlikely to be able to face him alone, regardless...will have to hope security can keep him busy until you are on your feet."

"I think I can manage..." said Supercape, sliding off the bed onto the floor and promptly sinking to his knees unsteadily.

"Yes, yes, I'll be fine!" he said with a weak grin as he managed to haul himself upright with a wobble and a shake of his head to clear the cobwebs. "Now then, where was the fellow, and how do you suggest we deal with him? He could take apart the whole building and cause a meltdown if we aren't careful. He could take apart a whole region of Siberia if things get really bad... overload him? what about reversing the polarity of the neutron flow of the reactor?"

"Reactor B containment module," Dragonfly repeated, frowning. "Reverse the..." In her mind, she could see a schematic for a nuclear power system - not this one, she wasn't that familiar with exactly how they had it set up, but one that was close enough. The physical structure of it, the flow of power and the chain reactions necessary to generate the same; a variable changed, and the power went.... "....energy sinkhole?" she asked, though she was fairly sure there was a far more technical term. hazards of self-education "Could work. I think. Not sure what their setup is. Worth a try, anyway. Worst case we breach containment. Still a disaster, but preferable to a building-wide meltdown, or Hiroshima going critical."

"Well, if you are all ready..." mumbled Supercape. He was still foggy in his head, but he could work out the entanglement.

"...I can get us there. We just need to get Hiroshima to the reactor, reverse the polarity while he is there, and hope he gets neutralised rather than go critical".

He sighed.

"Ready?"