Hero TV! (IC)

Quinn

A laser bolt flashed by Glowstar, followed by a fusillade of them filling the air as the Southern door opened, and a large group of what looked like robotic automatons came charging out. They looked built for function rather than form, being blocky steel affairs with laser cannons on one arm, and a grasping claw on the other. Their heads were conical, with malevolent red blinking eyes that remained focused on the heroes. Splashed across the chest of each robot was a stylized imitation of the emblem on the floor...

The speakers above blared in a flat robotic monotone. "Round One, Knievelbot Army! Fight!"

"See... I like these guys..." The jumbo tron flashed to a screen with Knievel sitting in a barber shop. "...because they remind me of Coneheads! Mebs! Mebs!" A hairdresser in an outfit that seemed entirely too small for whatever the dress code was in wherever it was he was getting his hair dressed could ask for approached Knievel and put a towel around his shoulders.

"Enjoy, kids!" Knievel called out and the hairdresser pushed his seat back and began washing his hair.

The feed cut out and the jumbo tron went blank. Only the music, and the robots remained.

"Feel the might of Chac!" El Sapo roared as he leapt into battle. In one fluid motion he wrapped both legs around the head of one robot, twisted, and then flipped forward. The machine was pulled in a graceful arc that landed it directly on the head of a second robot. They both exploded in a most extravagant fashion and Ignacio emerged coughing and singed from the wreckage. The metal skull of one machine rolled smoking in front of it and he gave it a halfhearted boot. "Perhaps I should dispense the wrath of Chac in a less personal manner." He coughed.

Glowstar watched the robots file in and dropped down in front of the civilians, forcefield crackling again as it surged with power. He dropped his stance and spread his arms out wide, forcing energy and that strange power that was under his control out along his limbs. His forcefield bulged oddly, then grew two long protuberances that spread out until the news personnel were completly separated from the advancing robots. His brow creased in concentration as more energy tendrils poked out of the front of the forcefield, waving slightly as they advanced towards the Kinevalbots. The form solidified and held there, a huge, red, slightly transparent anemone, with the teen hero at its heart.

Titan ran toward the machines at full speed. A few bolts of energy smacked against his chest, which set him off balance for a moment. He regained himself, and launched at one of the metallic attackers. Once one was in arms reach, he grabbed it by the head, and lifted it off the ground. It writhed about, trying to pull itself free, scratching him like an angry cat. Titan decided to take the simple route, and closed his head around the thing's head. There was a pop and a crash as it fell from his grip, headless, lifeless. "Dolium volvitur," he said before moving on.

There was an odd conflict of interest facing against machines. Changeling could probably break them, but the simple fact that she neither wanted to get close to them, nor spend enough time in one place for them to overwhelm her was also set with the fact she did not want to chip her only non illusionary sword trying to find weak points. In the end the umbrella she produced seemingly out of nowhere(as it was hidden under the glamour of her costume) was used in a rather bizzare game of tag. Weaving through the robots she could avoid them easily since they were both slow and not very intelligent, but when they grew bored with her and tried to turn face towards the hostages she almost always had to double back and give them a tap to garner there attention and lead them back into battle areas of others where her pursuers would quickly get caught into the crossfire.

Knievelbots started to go down fast, the four heroes charging into their lines with the force of a hurricane. Some managed to get shots off towards the civilians, but the lasers were either bounced or dispersed by Glowstar's anemonic force field. The flood that was charging from the doors shrunk to a small wave, then a trickle...

One Knievelbot barely managed to get by Glowstar, charging towards the civilians, but one brave soul (a mechanic, by the looks of him), managed to trip it up. The rest of the TV crew descended on it, beating it with whatever they could seize (including parts from robots broken by the heroes!) until it shut down. They cheered as the lights in it's head went off, and cheered the heroes on as they pushed back the robot horde.

Glowstar advanced on the entrance that the Kineval-bots were spilling out of, step by slow step. He'd never pushed his powers so far and he was riding the adrenaline high, smiling madly. Every bot that came within range of his energy tendrils was smashed, torn apart, or simply aged hyper-fast into a pile of rust and silicon. The teen hero herded the bots back, and though he kept the majority of them away from the civilians a few slipped past.

"In the name of Chac, I will smite you!" El Sapo bellowed as interposed himself between the robots and the civilians. He lifted his face skyward and electricity began to crackle along his arms. As the sparks cast crazed shadows around the chamber El Sapo leapt back into the fight and slugged one of the machines with his lightning clad fist, releasing a great crash of thunder and a brilliant arc of lightning as the Knieval-bot was reduced to a cloud of molten slag the sizzled across the concrete floor. "Fear not citizens, no harm will come to you while El Sapo yet lives!"

There were always more. He noted that one of the others had the civs in hand. That was good. It left him focus on the task at hand. He looked at one of the downed bots at his feet, and then at the bots still walking around. Crushing heads would be effective, but hardly the best way to take care of them. Inspiration struck, and he smiled a little. he picked up the remains of one of the bots, and hurled it at a group of the active machines. Sadly, his missile only hit two, but the crash was satisfying.

Moving so frequently around the area, Changeling couldn't help but notice something strange. Some of the squares glowed ever so faintly as she moved past them. She almost unconciously moved past them because such suspicious things in a place shouldn't be trusted. As she moved round with the last of the robots being taken down by the teammates she made a full circle back to the civilians and stood firm waiting for the next trial.

As the last of the Knievel bots went up in smoke, the JumboTron blipped on once more. "@#$%! Knievel was busy cursing someone out, as usual. "I told you they're not supposed to explode, damnit! You could have at least made the explosions do some damage. What the hell do I pay you people for?"

"Uh, sir, you don't pay us."

"Well, what the hell do I avoid beating you up for then? GET BACK IN THE LAB!" Knievel threw a coffee cup with his face on it somewhere off screen. The was a shattering sound and a yelp. Finally he turned to face the camera. "Well then! Boys, girls, freaks! Good job taking care of my robots, or whatever. But rest assured, I've got something better planned for you!" The camera panned to reveal a large red button on a console. Knievel slammed his hand into it. Cages appeared out of nowhere, extending upward from the floor. They surrounded the civilians, and then descended back down, taking the civilians with them amidst much screaming. The steel floors were quickly replaced by new one. "Aww, I'm sorry, was that mean? To bad! That's just the type of guy I am." Knievel grinned that crazy grin of his, and it shined like the sun. "Now, if you'll kindly step into the next room..." Another button was pressed, and one of the large blast doors in the room slid open. Unfortunately it was not the one with the monkeys, "I might just give you a chance to save them. SO DON'T SAY I NEVER GAVE YOU NOTHING!" The screen went black once more.

• 2 weeks later...

Changelings eyes dashed to the civilians as the cage raised. She almost ran straight into it but stopped short with her hand brushing the metal. The sting surged through her and she had to take a step back as they disappeared into the floor. Glancing over she scowled at the screen where the brutish man appeared once more, and looked towards the open door. It was a trap most likely, but the facts were there was very little choice but to oblige. So she started towards the door without a word.

Glowstar spun around when the metal cage appeared, his energy tendrils quickly losing coherence and fading away. He watched the civilians disappear with his jaw hanging open dumbly, then listened to Kineval's rant with a growing anger. "Seriously man, if you want a fight just say it! Come down here and we'll give you the ass-kicking you seem in desperate need of!" The young hero stomped through the new doorway, his force field crackling. "This ain't even fair, making us wade through all your rent-a-thugs before we punch you in the face. Seriously not cool, dude."