Just Another Sunday (IC)

Raveled

January 30th, 2011

Freedom City! Home of heroes. Freedom City! Center of trade. Freedom City! Stepping off point for adventure. Freedom City! The only place where you could be robber at blaster-point by men wearing jet-packs.

These were the thoughts going through the head of Daniel Simms, head of security for this stretch of Majesty Industries' waterfront warehouses. It wouldn't be fair to say that his training as a security guard for one of the city's largest congolomerates hadn't covered super-powered threats, but it had been more along the lines of 'a bunch of gang-bangers with blaster rifles walk in -- what do you do?' For anything else, he was supposed to hit the alarms and let the Freedom League, or and of the dozens of unaffiliated heroes, deal with it. No one had been prepared for the Power Corps' military tactics, or their futuristic weapons and body armor. Now Daniel and a dozen other guards, not to mention the thirty or so Majesty employees who worked inside the warehouses, were trussed up and sitting in groups of five in one of the upper-story office rooms, watched over by a trio of silver-and-blue bodysuited figures with the numbers 5, 6, and 7 stenciled on their chests. other than that the three were identical -- down to their utter silence as they stood over the lot.

Not that the Power Corps mercenaries weren't saying anything; there conversing freely over their internal commlinks, but the helmets absorbed all the sound. 7, especially, was getting rather twitchy about the wait. "We should leave," she broadcast over the group's common band. "A cape could come along any minutes, let's just grab the stuff and jet."

"Patience," came the calm, smoother tones of their leader. "We have at least five minutes before there's any super-powered response, and we're a match for any one cape. More than a match, with the Foundry's tech. So just relax -- everyone does their job right and we'll leave the heroes sucking on our exhaust fumes this time."

7 tried and failed to follow 1's orders. She dearly wanted to fidget with her weapon, tap her feet, or even take off the helmet and have a smoke, but she didn't dare. Instead she set off an another circuit of the room, being careful keep her steps slow and measured. Unbeknownst to anyone at the time she was quite right to be nervous. Fearless Leader's timetable was off by almost five minutes -- and they wre going to face a lot more than one hero.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overhead flew Protectron, Freedom's newest and most gold-plated hero (well, aside from that other gold-plated hero). He was not a fast flier -- many cars could reach his top speeds, and sports cars would blow past it -- but what he lacked in speed he made up for in tenacity.

Hour six of spiral patrol pattern. No extraordinary threats detected. 23 threats detected since beginning of patrol, but all were handled by police of other superpowered organics by the time I arrived. Adjusting course towards Bayview, will begin one-hour patrol there.

As it turned, Protectron passed over the warehouse the Power Corps were in, and its interest was snatched.

Observation: New commlink signals detected. Attempting to tune in... ERROR: Unable to break encryption.

Observation: Armored figures spied through window. Unable to identify.

Analysis: High probability armored figures are either criminals attempting to rob warehouse, or officers in MAX Armor preparing to engage metahuman criminal. In either case, intervention is logical choice.

Protectron altered course again, and headed for the warehouse.

The Pitchoo hovered high in the clouds as Geckoman reclined in his chair, legs on the dashboard and arms folded behind head, snoring softly to himself. His goggles were around his neck, and his full head mask discarded on the floor. On the dash, a few lights blinked and whirred in yellows, greens and reds as a couple of displays scanned and monitored.

Then, with a sudden TRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIINNNNNG, the radar detected a flying metal object some distance beneath the craft. Geckoman sat bolt upright, falling off the swivelling chair as the sudden movement made it swing. "Bwauh? Dammit, stuff happening, and stuff isn't sleep!"

A few bemused seconds later, the green egg-shaped ship jetted downwards towards the blip on the radar.

Overhead flew Protectron, Freedom's newest and most gold-plated hero (well, aside from that other gold-plated hero). He was not a fast flier -- many cars could reach his top speeds, and sports cars would blow past it -- but what he lacked in speed he made up for in tenacity.

Oh, that's pretty. Rachel thought as the jet powered man flew overhead. I wonder what it's up to? Rachel quickly slipped out of sight, and found a place to don her gear. She emerged back onto the streets of freedom, and sped after the flying hero. Though she was technically faster, he had the ability to take the crow's flight. She repeatedly had to dodge buildings, and other obstacles, thus slowing her down. She was able to keep up, though, and she followed him all the way to the docks.

Minutes later, Blueshift was on the scene of the warehouse. It took her only seconds to analyze what was happening. She didn't like it. She quickly activated her cloaking device, and found a way in.

Guys in power armor, and a flying robot. Something able to turn off tech would benefit me. Blueshift fired up her comm link and picked up Protectron's signal.

"Attention, flying metal guy. You see what I see. Trouble. I'm Blueshift. I'm here to help. I'm currently cloaked. I'm hoping they can't see me. Cloak won't block tech sensors. You might see me. I have something in mind that can help us. But I need build time. Found a box of scrap I can use. Stall for time if you can." With that, Blueshift began working on banging together an brand new invention on the fly, as quietly as possible.

There wasn't just one jet-powered man in the skies that day. Victory, currently on patrol, was making his rounds high above the sky. While the Pitchoo would sense something flying below it, Victory saw the plane flying below HIM. He also sees a bit of other motion going on down below.

He jets down, and the jet would shake a bit as Victory flew down next to the cockpit, placing his hand on it. It's a strong hand, though, so it would cause some turbulence. He brings his other hand around and taps on the glass, trying to get the pilot's attention. His voice wouldn't be heard through the glass if he just spoke, and he didn't know if the jet was on an open signal or not right now.

He hadn't specifically noticed the other flying metal being yet, however.

ALERT: Peripheral sensors detect large air vehicle moving to intercept.

The robot did a barrel turn to look up at the Pitchoo.

Identifying... craft does not conform to standard aircraft... identified: craft is the Pitchoo, associated with superpowered organic human Geckoman.

Attempting to establish communication ERROR onboard communications array still unable to transmit. Employing audio/visual method of contact.

The robot waved with both arms at the green egg-craft, and called to it in a flat electronic voice, "Greetings, Geckoman! Are you here to investigate the warehouse?"

Alert: Incoming radio message. ERROR onboard communications array still unable to transmit; unable to reply.

Unknown, unseen being identifies as Blueshift. Claims to see trouble, requests me to 'stall for time.' May be able to enlist Geckoman's aid in doing so.

Tactical Analysis: Omit mention of Blueshift. Mention of cloaked individual over nonsecure audiovisual communication method would be contraindicative to stealthy operations.

"Attention Geckoman," it suddenly called out, "activity of a criminal nature may be occurring in the warehouse below. Will you assist me in investigating?"

Observation: second flying subject noted. Identifying... outline appears to match that of AEGIS cyborg agent codenamed Victory.

The golden robot repeated its invitation for crimefighting to the flying cyborg.

Skimming the skyline, Ironclad flew above the city on one of her pre-designed patrol paths. It took her over most of Freedom City's criminal and villainous hotspots, while taking a minimum amount of time; an increasing necessity with all the things taking up her time recently. She noticed a large airship descending from the clouds and quickly identified it as the Pitchoo, belonging to one of the more memorable heroes in the city. Flashes of light closer to the ground advertised other heroes in the vicinity, and her communication suite buzzed with the noise of far-off radio conversations. She curved her flightpath, heading towards the gathering of heroes.

Atop the warehouse roof, the group was being observed by a bodysuited figure with an oversized scope attached to his blaster rifle. He was almost motionless, except where he tracked his hero with the business end of his weapon. He was concealed from view by a light-bending camo cape, draped over his back and legs; his arms and head were hidden behind a cooling unit. He toggled a tongue-switch inside his head and spoke into the communicator concealed there. "We've got trouble. Lots of it."

"Not good." As Blueshift made her way towards the building she stopped. She'd spotted the sniper thanks to her goggles. She looked skyward once more to deliver another transmission. That's when she realized that more heroes had been drawn to the disturbance like bees to honey. Idiots!

"Scatter!" she transmitted to all of them, "Rooftop sniper has eyes on you!"

Lining up like ducks in a pond? Who taught these guys tactics? I swear I'm going to sit each of them down with 'The Art of War' when all of this is over.

Geckoman looked around confusedly at the people waving and shouting, then flicked on the radio button on his dashboard, relaying both to Victory, and to Protectron, that "I accept radio transmissions, people. I don't need flag waving to occur, jeez." He rubbed at his eyes as he straightened his goggles.

"Now, what's going on he-" Then he heard Blueshift's transmission, and hit the throttle. Down towards the ground, swooping into a wide arc. "Snipers?" he broadcast on the radio. "I got me some tank armour."

Getting the various signal,Victory just acknowledges the danger,nodding and sending his own message out.

"I know. I was hoping they'd make the first move, but since we all seem to already know, I say we get rid of that little toy right now, then."

And with that, he rockets away from the Pitchoo, landing on the rooftop in less than the blink of an eye.

"Damn." There was a sudden flicker of movement on the rooftop, a subtle and eye-twisting ruffle of the roofing, as the Power Corps sniper rose to one knee and turned. The camo-cape fluttered out behind him, still concealing his form from the waist down, but the blaster bolts spitting out from the snout of his rifle were visible to the entire group. Several of the neon-yellow bolts soared off into the sky, but several more caught the robot hero Protectron squarely in the metallic chest.

Ironclad noticed the sudden, searing attack by the sniper on the golden robot hero. She tucked into a steep dive, pulling out a bare dozen feet or so above the action, and brought both of her wrist blasters to bear on the baddie. The red-gold bolts punched holes in the metal roof and slapped into the sniper's concealed legs, knocking him down. He struggled to get his hands and feet under him, but he was moving slowly, groggily.

Protectron has done another barrel-roll, so as to see the sniper Blueshift was warning about.

Scanning for hostALERT! Incoming Attack!

The blast hit the robot squarely in its metallic chest, but it did no more than superficial damage to the plating.

Integrity holding at 99.99%. Systems nominal.

Tactical Analysis: Ranged countermeasures nonexistent. Must move to melee range.

Plotting flight path to intercept.

The robot's jets flared, and a golden guardian streaked down towards the roof of the warehouse.

Target located.

Tactical Analysis: Blow to shoulders to dislodge handheld weaponry and stun target.

"You appear to be engaged in criminal operations," it said in its flat electronic voice. "These actions must cease."

Protectron slowed just enough so it would not plow though the building as its feet came down on the roof, and its fists came down on the sniper. But the armored foe proved a formidable foe -- the blow barley moved him!

Observation: Target is heavily armored. Uncertain if target is machinekind, or armored organic.

Geckoman saw the blaster bolts tearing through the air, and locked on with his targetting. "Is it time to shoot some armoured moron? I think it's time to shoot some armoured moron. Armoured moron... get SHOT!" With the last shout, he spun the Pitchoo on a dime, firing as he did so in a wide arc. Electrical streams exploded forth from the dual cannons towards the sniper, with as low-pitched crackle and a burst of bright yellow light and sparks.

The Pitchoo's assault finally overcame the mercenary's defenses and he fell flat on the roof, blast rifle spinning away from his prone body, little licks of electricity grounding out on the tar surface. A sudden and eerie silence settled over the little waterfront setting, the creaking of Geckoman's airship the loudest sound. It seemed the Power Corps wasn't willing to abandon the safety of the warehouse just yet; either that, or they had a special surprise in store for the heroes, and wanted everyone to be in the blast radius.

With the sniper dealt with, Victory couldn't help but be a bit uneased by the quiet. It was very obvious that the heroes were here, and yet no reinforcements had come. This worried him. In a flash, he jetted off around the building, his infrared vision scanning the entire building. Just as he thought. Not only was there an ambush waiting inside, but there seemed to be...bombs, perhaps? Seems likely.

As he got back to his starting position, he sent out a message to the other heroes around him.

"Don't go in yet. There are six enemies inside. All likely just as armed. More than that, I saw some intense heat signatures near the roof, mostly all on this side..."

He points to the side where he saw the signatures.

"Likely explosives. We'll have to either disarm them, set them off prematurely without any of us around, or go in a different way. I vote the latter, as we don't know exactly what sort of payload we're looking at here. Thoughts?"

"Thoughts?" Blueshift responded, "Oh, I got plenty of those. They'll cost you a penny, though." She stood up from her hiding place behind one of the crates in front of the building. She had dived into the cover when she'd spotted the sniper. Now that she was standing, the heroes on the building, and in the skies above could see her more clearly.

She was short. If she was closer, all but Ironclad would have stood more than a foot taller than her, and even she was close to it. She wore a tight fitting blue jumpsuit, and her bleached hair practically reflected the sunlight. But more noticeable than her clothing was her gear. Her face was obscured by a sleek looking visor with a thick antennae that stuck up from her left ear. Her right arm was encased in a metallic blue gauntlet, which ended in a sparking Taser like device in front of her fist. As they watched, the end retracted and folded back into the rest of the device. Her feet were similarly wrapped in a large pair of steel boots which looked like they housed some sort of engines or turbines in the soles. Her left wrist sported a long bracer, the center of which housed a rotating circular device. Strapped across her shoulders like a bandolier, another gadget hung at her back. It too had some intricate moving parts. The belt she wore looked like it housed an multitude of compartments, large, small, and hidden. Every part of her equipment glowed with the iridescent blue lines which acted as the power source for her devices. They all interfaced with her costume, the power lines shifting seamlessly into the hemming and stitching of the clothing.

"Just give me one sec. I want to see what you're seeing." She flipped open one of the pockets on her belt. She drew out a small circular device, held it in her left hand, prodded it with her right index finger a few times, and ultimately placed it against the earpiece of her visor. "Okay, I'm in." Her right arm dropped to her side. She began to whirl in circles, looking every which way. It seemed as though she was seeing something entirely different than her surroundings. "He's right. Those seven heat sigs are enemies. More specifically: Power Corps. We've got four troops, and..." She circled again, looking behind her, "Not good. The last two sigs are bigger. Much bigger. We're talking full on mechanized monsters. They don't look like they're packing, at least not obviously, but they're built like a brick house. They'll have the engines and hydraulics to back up that size with strength. That's for sure." Blueshift turned, and looked up. "Damn it. I can't get a reading on those other sigs you spotted. There is definitely something up there but without any cameras nearby I can't be sure exactly what's up there. It's on the south side, and that wall's covered in what looks like offic... Wait." Blueshift suddenly wore a shocked expression. "No. Don't tell me. Opinion time! Even on a Sunday, a place like this has guards. So where are they? There are none in the warehouse proper, and I haven't seen any outside since we arrived. Sniper couldn't have gotten them. There would have been bodies. We would have seen. I hate to say it, but I don't think that's a bomb. It's people. They've got hostages." She frowned.

She withdrew her hand from her visor, taking the device with it. She shook her head clear of the images that had been assaulting her brain and commandeering her senses. "Game's just changed. I say that's objective A. I can whip up something with the spare parts in the yard in about a minute which will cut through that wall like butter. No boom, no blood." She gazed up at her would be companions on the roof. "Thoughts?"

Ironclad listened in to the other heroine's channel, pondering their options. "It's not unlikely," she allowed. "Power Corps wouldn't have any qualms with taking hostages, either as human shields or for ransom. I think they should be our first priority, not stopping the bad guys." She landed lightly on the roof and took the camo cloak off the unconscious sniper, running the material through her hands and frowning slightly. "Besides, this tech is beyond what they normally have. It's possible they're working for someone else, not themselves. If that's the case, we might want to let them go and track them back to their employer/supplier." It had worked for her before -- granted, she had had planted bugs beforehand, but there was no reason that it wouldn't work this time.

And that is why experience is the most valuable type of knowledge. I never would have thought of that being as how it is likely we could just solve the problem here and now. But extending a modicum of freedom to the villains? Make them think they've gotten away? That is truly inspired thinking.

"That's... Brilliant!" Blueshift responded. "We've got the end in mind, but how do we begin? Do any of you have suggestions for safely securing the hostages?" Blueshift paused for a second. Her mind switching gears rapidly, she changed the subject, "There's something else I didn't mention. The Big Bad Robots they've got in there - They're moving crates. It's possible their objective isn't the hostages, but it's something the warehouse has stocked. Anyone have any way of getting the recent records for what shipments they've taken? It could help us understand why they're here. Also, they've all got numbers. Two through eight. The big ones being two and eight. My question is, what number is the sniper up there wearing? Is it one?" She paused, letting what she was about to ask hang in the air for a second, "Or is it nine?"

"If it's nine, then where is their number one?"

Victory cuts in, with his own thoughts. "I have a good idea of who they're working for. I'd busted them a couple months ago, with the help of some others, and they weren't working alone then, either. My guess is whoever busted them out was the same group, and they're working for them again now."

Victory stroked his chin,thinking back to when he busted the Corps. before (with a bit of help from other heroes, of course)and what their goal was.

"When I fought them last, they were going after a material shipment that I was guarding. I'm guessing their goal here isn't too much different."

"I think finding out where they're taking all this is a good move in the long term. But the problem is, how do we know that whatever they're getting now won't give them a massive advantage later?

"Well," reasoned Geckoman through a little bit of radio static, "You could like, totally, catch up with them later, and thus, unfortunately they get powered up. Bad times." He then perked up considerably. "But then, so could we. Forewarned is forearmed and all that jazz! We could get sonic saxophones and specialized equipment of many other music-related forms to defeat them, while the less technologically adept among us just... track them down."

"The music theme isn't essential, but... it'd be nice?"

Observation: Inability to communicate with others over radio drastically reduces ability to aid other heroes in preserving organic life. Must put repair of onboard communications systems as top priority.

Protectron looked around to where Victory and the Pitchoo were (it was still not certain where Blueshift was, since it had been too far to see her when she first contacted everyone), then down to the unconscious Power Corps sniper.

Alternate communications system located. Additionally, removal of armor will reduce target's effectiveness.

Protectron examined the knocked out mercenary, recalling files it had read while at The Lab on tech-using supervillains. This suit was slightly different from what had been scanned in previous encounters, but many basic elements remained the same, and it was able to remove the suit without much fuss. Suit in one had, unconscious merc in the other, it took off, towards the Pitchoo, and hovered before the main viewport.

"Do you have any restraints with which to bind this antisocial human?" it announced, unaware that Geckoman was utterly unable to hear it.

Geckoman looked at the robot mouthing to him through the window. "Dammit, robot, stop mouthing things!" He pushed himself up out of his chair, and hit a few buttons beside the door as he walked up and clung to the side of it.

As the walkway folded downwards, he ended up crouching perpendicular to the ground, no longer side on to the floor. "Sorry, robot, I can't hear you through all the metal and steel and titanium and bullet proof glass. What did you just say?" He shrugged his shoulders helplessly as if to say Whacanyou do?

Updating files: Pitchoo lacks external auditory pickups able to cut through sounds of atmospheric disturbances.

The robot hovered into the craft, and gently dumped the armor-less merc onto the floor. "Greetings, Geckoman," it said in a flat, electronic, but clear and easily understood voice, "My name is Protectron, and I had asked if you had any restraints with which to bind this antisocial human. This criminal."

It rotated its head towards the suit it held in its other hand, then back to Geckoman. "My onboard communications systems are not fully operational -- I can receive but not transmit. I should be able to use component from this suit to communicate with you, Victory, and Blueshift. However, modifications have been made to this suit, which may impair my ability to-

Query: would 'cannibalize components' be proper term? I have heard assorted Lab-Friends use the phrase in similar situations, but cannibalism implies same-species consumption, and the technology in this suit is far inferior to that of my body.

Observation: Taboo nature of cannibalism makes many humans uncomfortable. Will seek alternate term so as not to discomfort Geckoman.

-utilize components to supplement own systems. Additionally, if this suit has been modified, and as Blueshift has indicated that two others are larger and appear stronger than usual, then there is high probability that all Power Corps suits have been modified. Caution is advised."

Victory was picking up on the conversations going on over the radio, and chimed in to Protectron.

"I can guarantee there's been some significant modification. Probably through stolen parts,too. We should make a secondary priority to try and get these new suits off their users if possible. Bring them in to get looked over. Whoever made it, I wouldn't be surprised if their fingerprints are all over these things, as it were. But first we need a good way in. They probably already know we're on the way in, but not the approach we're going to make. Let me see if there's a good way in."

Victory checked over again, and made another quick pass around the building, ending up in his starting position once again, in a flash, trying to find any entrance in that wouldn't immediately serve as a tip-off.