A Very Interceptors Christmas (IC)

Heritage

The Brownstone. December 25th, 2010. 7:53 pm

A roaring fire blazed in the living room fireplace, over which hung several stockings, one for each Interceptor, as well as Ellie, Dok A and even VINCE, because a certain Jewish pixie didn't have the heart to leave the lovable AI out. A massive Scotch pine, far too large to have grown naturally much less fit through the front door, stood in one corner, ornately decorated and with several gifts tucked underneath. Mistletoe hung over doorways in dangerous profusion. There were fragrant garlands twisted around all the bannisters, and the scent of freshly-baked cookies and mulled cider wafted down the hall from the kitchen, and the Elf soundtrack was playing on the stereo.

Lynn stood in the middle the room in Freedom College sweats, arms folded in satisfaction. "Ah, it's the Christmas every little Jewish kid dreams of! I just hope I got the stocking stuffers right." The changeling had conjured the tree and all the decorations, but she'd purchased her gifts, made the food by hand and stuffed the stockings herself (except her own, which she glamoured up for completion's sake).

Colt and Grim got back from her Uncle Sid's place around quarter to six, giving her plenty of time to get working on the holiday snacks and put the finishing touches on the tree.

"I think that's everything...oh wait!" Her sweats shifted into a silly but still somewhat sexy elf outfit in red and green; the pointed ears, of course, were natural. "Perfect!" Humming along with “Baby It’s Cold Outsideâ€, she continued to make minor tweaks here and there as she waited for the others arrive.

Colt was making his way down the stairs with a load of presents in his hand. He was singing softly to himself as he went, "Jingle Bells, darn horse smells, th'sheriff laid'n egg..." As he rounded the corner, he perked up when he saw grim from behind his armful of packages, "Oh, hey, Honey." He glanced around, smiling, "Wow, I reckon it looks mighty great'n here. Ya don'a fine job from what'a c'n tell." He began laying some of the packages down on the table. There was a long, thin, rectangular one about four feet long, which read, "To Jack" on it. Two vaguely cube shaped packages were addressed, "To Doc," and, "To Jill." Another long flat package read, "To Fulcrum."

Grim noticed that each of the gifts was addressed with team names. She also noticed the pile of gifts contained no gift addressed to Eli, or more imprtantly, to her.

"Got ma wrappin' done. Yer gift's hidin' fer now." He placed a kiss on her forehead. "I tell ya though. This place looks mighty better'n what them other decorations looked like after what happ'ned earlier."

Eli had been visiting his parents for most of the day. That's actually something Eli really like about having his powers; he always had the time in his day for family and those he cared about. To be honest, he had really been looking forward to today. Food, presents, family and finally a chance to just slow down and be Eli instead of "Zippy". No super-speed, no magic, no pixies, no weird accents, just pure boring Eli. He had a snowball fight with his cousins in the backyard, and listened to his crazy uncle's stories. He got to listen to his mom brag about how Eli's grades had jumped the past semester and he had pulled down a 4.0 even while taking a bunch of science classes.

Through it all, two thoughts kept coming back to his head: he now had a perspective on how lucky he had been and he had a new appreciation for why he put the costume on every day. Until everyone had a Christmas like this, there would always be a reason to be a hero.

As the festivities died down, Eli took his leave with the rest of the relatives. One last deep breath of the cold winter air of his hometown and Eli was back in Freedom, running up the steps to the Brownstone. Dashing through the room he snuck up behind Grim, scooping her up in a hug. "Merry Christmas!" he announced quite cheerfully. Setting her back down neatly, he turned his attention to Colt "Hugs all around!" and immediately lunged at Colt. Letting go of them for a second, Eli disappeared again as he dashed about, digging all of the presents from their respective hiding places and throwing them all under the tree, as well as putting all the presents he got from home up in his room, with the exception of the new watch on his wrist and his new santa hat which was jammed on his head. "Merry Christmas! Place looks awesome!

"Wow, I reckon it looks mighty great'n here. Ya don'a fine job from what'a c'n tell."

Grim nodded in satisfaction as she surveyed her handiwork. "Thanks. Yeah, twenty some years of Christmas envy means I had a lot of time to think about it; Mom let Dad put some blue lights on the bush outside our place in Ventnor, but it's not the same as having a tree to call your own."

"Got ma wrappin' done. Yer gift's hidin' fer now." He placed a kiss on her forehead. "I tell ya though. This place looks mighty better'n what them other decorations looked like after what happ'ned earlier."

The shapeshifter laughed ruefully at the memory of the near-fiasco they survived early Christmas morning at Uncle Sid's annual holiday brunch. "Well you don't grow up an Epstein without knowing how to work a fire extinguisher; I just hope Aunt Clara's eyebrows grow back okay."

"Merry Christmas!"

Lynn squeeled in shock and delight, her curly-toed shoes nearly hitting the ceiling as she kicked her legs wildly. "Ahhh, he's got me, he's got me! Colt, save me from the clutches of the Mad Eli!"

"Merry Christmas! Place looks awesome!

Once safely free, she smoothed down her veltet outfit and wiped the gleeful tears from her eyes. "Just like our resident speedster to spread holiday cheer and cop a feel at the same damn time; kudos to you, sir!" She winked and gave him a playful elbow to the ribs. "Seriously though, I love doing decorations and stuff; wait 'til you try the mulled cider, it's super-nummy."

"Knock knock, party people," a familiar voice called from the foyer as Erik Espadas stepped into the larger room, a large, white plastic bag balanced under each arm of his brown, wool lined coat. The young man appeared to be in unusually high spirits for his civilian identity, grinning broadly and looking around appreciatively at the decorations. "I come bearing copious amounts of Chinese take-out!"

Close behind him, Ellie followed, arms equally laden with wrapped parcels stacked up to the flourish of red scarf peeking out the top of her black peacoat. "I can't believe you did that..." the teen sighed, shaking her head in chagrined embarrassment.

The elder sibling scoffed. "It's called being culturally sensitive, hermanita," he insisted.

Suddenly the shapeshifter's nostrils started to twitch, as a wonderful familiar smell wafted into the room.

Waitaminute, what is that? Do I detect...egg foo young?

"I come bearing copious amounts of Chinese take-out!"

"I can't believe you did that..."

"It's called being culturally sensitive, hermanita,"

Grim vigorously shook her head at Ellie's comment as she approached Erik, her eyes transfixed by the delightful-smelling bags he carried. "No no no, your brother speaks wisdom! And more importantly, he brought mushroom fried rice! Oh, it's a Christmas miracle! God bless us everyone!"

She hopped up, threw her arms around the startled swashbuckler, and for the second time in living memory showered his face with happy kisses before dropping back to the floor, snatching the takeout from under his arms and making a mad dash for the kitchen.

"Mine mine mine mine mine!"

Lynn squeeled in shock and delight, her curly-toed shoes nearly hitting the ceiling as she kicked her legs wildly. "Ahhh, he's got me, he's got me! Colt, save me from the clutches of the Mad Eli!"

There was a small "pop". Suddenly, Eli felt something bounce off his shoulder. Turning his head Colt's way, he saw the cowboy holding one of the cork-loaded pop guns that hung as a decoration nearby. The cork rolled around at their feet. Colt cracked a smile. "Reckon I gotcha good."

"Oh, that reminds me," Colt greeted Eli, "I had't leave yer gift downstairs. Dern thing was too big't git up here in one piece. We'll go'n open it later. I reckon the other's'd wanna see't s'well."

"Knock knock, party people," a familiar voice called from the foyer as Erik Espadas stepped into the larger room, a large, white plastic bag balanced under each arm of his brown, wool lined coat. The young man appeared to be in unusually high spirits for his civilian identity, grinning broadly and looking around appreciatively at the decorations. "I come bearing copious amounts of Chinese take-out!"

"Good thing, too. After that there debacle with them pancakes earlier, the both'a us're starvin'!"

"Mine mine mine mine mine!"

Colt couldn't help but laugh heartily. The shapeshifter's antics were a constant source of amusement for him. Colt's eyes were full of mirth. He was enjoying this Christmas more than any other he'd experienced. This year, he had a family to spend it with. His mother would have to understand. He couldn't spend his whole life regretting his departure from their world. He was going to enjoy this party.

Ellie gave her brother a flat look as he used his newly free arms to relieve her of some of the pile she was carrying. "How do you do that?"

"My real power is being ridiculously awesome," Erik told her philosophically. "Don't tell anyone, though. It's very hush hush."

"I'm sure nobody will ever suspect," the younger sibling drawled, setting the remainder of the gifts under the tree and moving to take off her coat and scarf.

Slipping off his own jacket to reveal a long sleeved blue shirt, Erik turned to Colt. "Oh man, y'know who you should never offer pancakes to? Avenger. Vampires hate pancakes."

"Okay, no, I've heard that story," Ellie interjected, returning from the closet in the foyer in an off-white turtleneck, "and I'm pretty sure he just hates you."

"That's crazy talk," her brother scoffed. "I'm innately lovable and universally well-liked. Speaking of the Broodmeister, though, guess who we saw last night!"

Ellie groaned audibly, throwing her hands in the air. "You said you weren't going to make a thing about this."

"What? It came up!" Erik protested, holding his palms upward innocently.

"I did not, you just-"

"We saved Christmas from the freaking devil, guys!" Erik interrupted her, looking from Colt to Eli and back with a nearly manic grin on his face. "True story!"

"...you do realize I could've gotten you actual Chinese food from China anytime you wanted if you just asked me, right?" muttered Eli mostly to himself as Grim scampered off. Eli felt it hard mustard the outrage necessary to call her out while wearing a Santa hat however. "Wow really? Totally need to relate that story at some point." said Eli impressed with Jack's news. Eli looked like he was about to say something else, and then another thought popped into his head. "Well I guess that means you two deserve extra special holiday hugs!" exclaimed Eli as he rushed at the brother and sister, grabbing one in each arm. "Merry Christmas!"Though this was the holidays, Eli knew full well the only way he could touch Jill is if he was within Jack's line of site, preferably within stabpunch range.

"Ho ho ho!," echoed a familiar voice from the chimney. A pinpoint of light popped out from within, and floated gently to the front of the fireplace. The pinpoint rapidly expanded to a jolly bearded man in a red suit with white fur trim, black leather boots, gloves and belt, a full blonde beard reaching down to the middle of his chest, and a bulging sack slung over one shoulder.

"Frohe Weihnachten!," SantArcheville proclaimed, "Merry Christmas!"

I love Christmas! The camaraderie, the gifts, the food -- it's wonderful!

Viktor Archeville did love celebrating Christmas, largely because he had never gotten to do so much while growing up. So he went overboard now, when he had the resources to do so, both in the general sense (with numerous donations to local orphanages to make sure their charges had a merry time) and on a more personal level, with those he counted as his friends.

Two nights before, on the 23rd, Viktor Archeville had overseen ArcheTech's First Annual Winter Festival Party. (He had ultimately chosen to go with the more generic name to be PC, and to not offend certain people whom his grandfather had done egregious harm to.) It was a memorable event, with an assortment of catered treats, a small live orchestra providing classical music, much alcohol (and alcohol-fueled hook-ups in assorted offices), and -- to the relief of all -- no criminal interruptions. The 24th had been spent finishing his preparations for today's party with the Interceptors, as well as cooking a huge assortment of foods served during traditional German Christmas dinners: roast goose, roast carp, and Weißwurst (a sausage made from very finely minced veal and flavored with cardamom, ginger, lemon, mace, onions, and parsley), and numerous side dishes such as Brussels sprouts, kale, macaroni salad, roast potatoes, and red cabbage. Of course there were almost an equal number of desserts, including Dominostein (tiny squares of a layered gingerbread, sour cherry or apricot jelly, and a top layer of marzipan, all coated in either milk or dark chocolate), Lebkuchen (a type of soft gingerbread, some round with almonds and powdered sugar on top, some in the shape of horses with fanciful colored icing), Pfeffernüsse (small, round, hard, spicy biscuits, some made with ground almonds and some with ground walnuts, and covered with powdered sugar), Springerle (anise-flavored, leavened biscuits with Medieval German knights and ladies embossed on them while the dough was rolled and cut), Spritzgebäck (a crisp, dry, fragile, buttery pastry), an assortment of Stollen (sugar-dusted fruitcakes), Vanillekipferl (crescent-shaped biscuits made with ground almonds or hazelnuts, flavored with vanilla, and given a heavy dusting of powdered and superfine sugar), and an assortment of rum-soaked berries, cherries, plums, and apricots, for serving with ice cream, waffles, or by themselves. And, oh yes, Eierpunsch, German eggnog. But he wasn't sure what the food arrangements for the party with the Interceptors would be -- communications between them and him were still a bit chaotic at times -- so rather than figure some way to haul it all with him, he left it ready-to-serve in his Hanover home's kitchen, and moved one of the teleport portal generators to his dining room for easy access. Besides, he already had one large sack of presents to carry!

He sniffed the air, "ah, is that Chinese food I smell? Did you get any crab rangoon? Or eggrolls? Maybe we will not need the feast I prepared after all!"

"We saved Christmas from the freaking devil, guys!" Erik interrupted her, looking from Colt to Eli and back with a nearly manic grin on his face. "True story!"

Grim came back from the kitchen, where she'd set all the delicious grub out buffet-style, including conjuring up a stack of thick paper plates and plastic utensils; clutching a plate heaped high with greasy goodness, she actually looked a bit annoyed at Jack's declaration.

"What? Damn it, why doesn't anyone ever have to save Hanukkah! No one even bothers to threaten the Jewish holidays!" She made an odd face. "Well, I guess the Nazis kinda did, but still..." She scooped up a forkful of egg foo young, rolling her eyes. "Yes Jack, please tell us the amazing story of how you saved the greatest holiday ever from El Diablo."

But then she realized just how bitchy she sounded, she sighed and gave the swordsman a crooked grin. "Sorry, dude; actually I'm really glad you saved Christmas. Otherwise I couldn't stuff my face like this, right?" Shoveling the food in her mouth, she gave Jack a big thumbs up.

"...you do realize I could've gotten you actual Chinese food from China anytime you wanted if you just asked me, right?"

The pointed ears of Grim didn't miss much, and the elf sidled up to the speedster and murmured as she passed him. "Yes, but Erik actually though to do it, didn't he? The act isn't the impressive part, dude, it's the thought that counts. Now you bring me some Italian spumoni, and you've got yourself a date under the mistletoe" She gave him a saucy friendly wink as she sauntered over to Colt, taking a seat beside him.

"Ho ho ho!,"

"Frohe Weihnachten!,"

"Merry Christmas!"

Between bites of takeout, Grim whooped at their boss's colorful entrance. "Yay, it's Archy Claus! Now all we need is Mona and VINCE!"

"ah, is that Chinese food I smell? Did you get any crab rangoon? Or eggrolls? Maybe we will not need the feast I prepared after all!"

Grim looked back towards the kitchen. "Yeah, there's a bunch of stuff I can't eat, like an order of the 'goon, so all you gentiles go dig in." Then Lynn stopped and did a comedic double take, her eyes gone anime-sized. "Waitasec, did you say 'feast'? As in plum pudding and roast beast?"

"True story, eh? Reckon that there sounds right legendary."

The pointed ears of Grim didn't miss much, and the elf sidled up to the speedster and murmured as she passed him. "Yes, but Erik actually though to do it, didn't he? The act isn't the impressive part, dude, it's the thought that counts. Now you bring me some Italian spumoni, and you've got yourself a date under the mistletoe" She gave him a saucy friendly wink as she sauntered over to Colt, taking a seat beside him.

Colt wagged his finger at Eli, "Watch't mister." Then he glanced at Grim, "Sides, Grim, y'know't Chinese food'as we know't ain't in no way th'same's they make't in China. Same's with Taco Bell'n Mexican food. But then, I wouldn't trade none'a this fer the real stuff." He quickly stabbed at Grim's plate with a pair of chopsticks, and lifted some of the food into his mouth.

"Indeed, Lynn," SantArcheville beamed, "a fine and grand feast, made with my own hands! Well, these and the manipulators of dozens of robots..." He regaled the team with lavish descriptions of all that he had made, "though I do regret to say, Miss Epstein," he added with a tinge of regret in his voice, "that while the ingredients themselves are all kosher, I was not able to arrange for them to be prepared in a kosher manner."

Maybe she will bend on this? A religion that does not allow you to eat a feast such as this is not one I would ascribe to! Besides, she does not even have to eat!

"But," he said with a clap of is gloved hands, "there is time enough to worry about that later. When were you planning to exchange presents? As soon as Mona arrives? Or did you have something else in mind first?"

Oh, I cannot wait to give out my presents! I hope they like them!

"Indeed, Lynn," SantArcheville beamed, "a fine and grand feast, made with my own hands! Well, these and the manipulators of dozens of robots..." He regaled the team with lavish descriptions of all that he had made, "though I do regret to say, Miss Epstein," he added with a tinge of regret in his voice, "that while the ingredients themselves are all kosher, I was not able to arrange for them to be prepared in a kosher manner."

The tiny elf waved her hand in a casual manner, dismissing her employer's concerns. "Nah, it's cool; I don't have to partake in every single aspect of the holiday to have a great and totally secular Christmas." She beamed as she fed Colt another bite. "Just having everyone here, with all the lights and gifts and everything, is more than enough."

"But," he said with a clap of is gloved hands, "there is time enough to worry about that later. When were you planning to exchange presents? As soon as Mona arrives? Or did you have something else in mind first?"

Lynn frowned. "Yeah, where is that big girl, and the flatscreen genie we all know and love?" Tilting back her head, she bellowed at the top of her lungs, much to her lover's dismay.

"VINCE! GET YOUR ASS IN HERE NOW!"

Eli's boisterous hug drew a sharp laugh from Erik even as the younger Espadas gave the speedster a flat look, pointedly extricating herself from the hug. "Eli, do we have to have the 'personal space' talk again?"

"Ah, ignore her, Zip," her brother advised, moving with surprising speed of his own to turn his teammate about into a loose headlock, ruffling the blond's hair. "Somebody's just getting her Grinch on because she's too cool for school."

Ellie snorted derisively as Doktor Acheville appeared moving to help him with his festive sack. "Hey, sir. Merry Christmas. This coming from the guy who never bothered with college?" she directed back at Erik.

"That's different! I actually am too cool for school. There was a study and everything." Releasing Eli, the fencer nodded sagely, placing one hand lightly on his chin. Recalling what he'd been talking about, he snapped his fingers excitedly. "Okay, seriously though, so we're at the North Pole, right, and-"

His narrative was interrupted by Lynn's bellow, followed immediately by the large screen blinking to life with the simulated avatar of Vince, the Underground's resident artificial intelligence. "What dulcet tones are these I hear?" the gregarious program inquired, cupping a hand to one ear. "Surely a nightingale, or lark!" Vince had outfitted himself in a red and green stripped turtleneck with all the hallmarks of a hand-knitted garment made with more love than skill, a steaming mug of hot chocolate in his hand. "Sorry for the wait, gang! Got distracted using security cameras to see all the window displays in the city."

The tiny elf waved her hand in a casual manner, dismissing her employer's concerns. "Nah, it's cool; I don't have to partake in every single aspect of the holiday to have a great and totally secular Christmas." She beamed as she fed Colt another bite. "Just having everyone here, with all the lights and gifts and everything, is more than enough."

"Mmm!"

"VINCE! GET YOUR ASS IN HERE NOW!"

"Ahh!" Colt clapped a hand over the ear closest to Grim. "I reckon ya don' need super hearin'ta go deaf, ya'know."

His narrative was interrupted by Lynn's bellow, followed immediately by the large screen blinking to life with the simulated avatar of Vince, the Underground's resident artificial intelligence. "What dulcet tones are these I hear?" the gregarious program inquired, cupping a hand to one ear. "Surely a nightingale, or lark!" Vince had outfitted himself in a red and green stripped turtleneck with all the hallmarks of a hand-knitted garment made with more love than skill, a steaming mug of hot chocolate in his hand. "Sorry for the wait, gang! Got distracted using security cameras to see all the window displays in the city."

"Oh, naw, don'cha encourage'er!" Colt shook a finger at the monitor. But his face showed that he was just teasing. "I'm good fer presents any time. Som'a min'er hidden but all's I gotta do's grab'em."

As if honing in on present time, Mona zipped through the front door. "Sorry I'm late!" she said hurriedly from behind a gift wrapped 8x4 foot package. Sitting it against one wall revealed a stack of smaller, flat packages and what looked like a baking pan full of homemade Cherry Mash and Divinity.

Almost buzzing with excitement, she stepped into the living room and just took in the decor, all with an awestruck smile on her face. "Grim, everything looks great!" Eying the tree quizzically, especially the size, she asked, "You conjured that, didn't you?"

Shaking her head, the pan was uncovered and offered around, "Sweetest sweets to go with all the goodies."

"Happy Holidays!"

Oh and she was wearing a tasteful Mrs. Claus outfit and reindeer antlers. Yeah. Arms crossed, she gave Viktor a raised eyebrow and mock skeptical look.

"Ah, here she is!," SantArcheville exclaimed, flitting over to Mona; the familiar blue glow of his Gravimetric Belt peeked out from behind the wide black leather belt. "How far would Weihnachtsmann get without Wehinachtsfrau, hrm? Not nearly as far as he would on his own!" He flashed a warm smile at her (through what she realized was a real beard!), and laid a soft kiss on her cheek.

I am so glad she agreed to wear that! Well, the antlers were not my idea, but she is the artist, if she thinks they add to the costume, who am I to judge? Even gladder she went along despite me not telling her what it was I was planning; she knows my Other is gone, so there was no danger. Trust and love -- such a precious and wondrous thing!

"So, now that we are all here," he turned back to Lynn, "what next? Presents? Feast? Games? Movies?"

Truth be known, Mona had initially been surprised at how good Viktor looked as Santa. In fact he looked a little too good, and she wondered if some illusions were at work. Of course once the beard was scratched and a real kiss laid on him, no doubts remained as to the validity of the beard. She returned the smile and laughed lightly, "And don't you forget it, buster."

Her packages went under the tree, or more appropriately, nearby, as the tree was already fairly loaded down. Each of the smaller packages were labeled to a different Interceptor, and like Billy's presents, used their code names. The biggest present wasn't labeled, and that one stayed up against the wall.

"Well, not sure if I have much say, being so late, but how about a feast than presents, maybe followed by movies? Something smells really good," she said, sniffing the air. Then she noticed the Chinese take out. "Ah."

"Hey, Mo'," Erik greeted with a small wave and grin as Ellie beat him to the punch and all but tackled their statuesque surrogate sister in a bear hug once Archeville had finished, though naturally the paragon didn't budge and inch. "So. Guess what we did last night...?"

With the entire team present, the copious amounts of food were doled out through frequent trips to the buffet line, everyone finding comfortable places to eat about the kitchen and adjoining living room. Although he didn't need to eat, obviously, Vince made a point of projecting himself in scale with his fleshier comrades on one of the full length wall screens, giving the illusion of being there in the physical space with them.

"Grim, everything looks great!" Eying the tree quizzically, especially the size, she asked, "You conjured that, didn't you?"

The tiny shapeshifter snorted in playful derision from her perch on Colt's lap. "Shyeah! No way I'm gonna clean up all those needles and tinsel! But don't worry, presents and food are all as real as real can be."

"Well, not sure if I have much say, being so late, but how about a feast than presents, maybe followed by movies? Something smells really good," she said, sniffing the air. Then she noticed the Chinese take out. "Ah."

Lynn hopped up to grab seconds and help distribute food, repeatedly pointing at Mona as she passed her. "I like the way this girl thinks; she's a keeper, Dok, do doubt about it. But I do have Apples to Apples and a few other party favorites if we wanna go that route."

"So. Guess what we did last night...?"

Heaping a second plate with food, Lynn rolled her eyes and mumbled, "God, he's gonna bring this story up every year, isn't he?" At least now her tone was more amused than strident.

Colt had finished his first plate of food, but that didn't stop him from using his fork to pick at the second plate that Grim had brought back. "One day, Mona, I reckon I'm gon' figure out how all yer ideas always seem like good'ns."

"Hey, Mo'," Erik greeted with a small wave and grin as Ellie beat him to the punch and all but tackled their statuesque surrogate sister in a bear hug once Archeville had finished, though naturally the paragon didn't budge and inch. "So. Guess what we did last night...?"

"Oh boy. There ain't no way I ain't regrettin' this one." Colt placed a hand over his face in an exasperated gesture, "It's a dirty job, but I reckon one'a us's gotta ask. What, Jack? What did ya do last night?"

Mona smiled at Lynn as she hauled Ellie up to sit on one arm. Looking to Billy, she replied, "If you figure that one out, make sure to tell me please?"

"Okay, I'll bite." Giving Ellie, then Eirk, a quizzical look, she asked, "What did you do last night? Have a dust up with the Robot Claus?"

Of course she didn't just stand there. A plate of goodies, particularly egg rolls, were gathered with Ellie still in arm. Given their respective size differences, all she needed to do was ask what the teenage heroine wanted for Christmas.

While Ellie laughed, perched atop Mona's arm, Erik related the events of the previous night with enthusiastic energy, gesturing animatedly to indicate the diminutive stature of the Christmas Crusader, the massive bulk of the jetpack equipped yetis, the surprising swiftness of the Nutcracker and the rocketing speeds of the repaired sleigh. His sister chimed in every so ofter to offer clarification or correct a slight exaggeration, but by the end of the story the elder Espadas sibling was balanced with one foot on the arm of the couch, plate of food precariously in one hand.

"Jack!" Colt scolded, "That eggroll ain't a sword. Quit wavin' it round 'fore ya git crumbs in th'couch." From his smile, it was clear he was giving Jack a hard time. Then Colt grabbed two objects from the table. "Anyway...I reckon chopsticks make'a better prop!" And Colt flung the oriental eating utensils toward Jack.