Fox's Things

Fox

Needed somewhere to keep stuff, both so I can work on it and so that I have an easily-glanced-at-and-formatted record. Plus, feedback never hurts. And it seems to be all the rage! Who'm I not to bow to peer pressure?

I also occasionally use this thread for things I didn't build myself - if I need scratchpad while doing editing on someone else's sheet, for instance. I generally abuse my ref abilities to hide those posts, but if you see something that obviously isn't mine, that's why it's here.

Updates:

who even knows anymore

Player Name: Fox

Character Name: Wraith

Power Level: 10 (150/150PP)

Trade-Offs: +2 Toughness / -2 Defense

Unspent PP: 0

Gold Status: 0/30

In Brief:

A nice, kind teenage girl who's actually an alien of fluid metal.

Alternate Identities: Indira Singh

Identity: secret

Birthplace:

Affiliations: Claremont

Family:

Apparent Age: 16

Ethnicity: alien (need a name for the species); Indian (apparent, and as in 'from India' not 'Native American')

Height:

Weight:

Eyes:

Hair:

Description:

In human guise, a charming young lady with dark eyes and dark hair. (note to self: better description pending further design, toying with Hero Factory, and poking around the intertubes for a model and reference)

As she truly is, a largish being made of seamless silvery metal, polished-looking and warm to the touch. She has three eyes (the third of which is in the center of her 'forehead', vertically oriented), all of which are pure black; she has no mouth and (for that matter) no other visible orifices. Everything else is likely to change with mood and the needs of the moment, though the longer she's on Earth and in human form, the more feminine the 'body' of her alien form tends to be at default. Rather absurdly, she often gives her alien form a small raised area around the eyes, like a (three-eyed) domino mask - because heroes wear masks, obviously.

Power Descriptions:

History:

Note to self: flesh this out more. Came to earth with her parents. Political motivations there on their parts?

Personality & Motivation:

A kind soul, she fights crime simply because she feels that she must. Not only is it an excellent excuse to let loose and - literally - be herself for a while, but in a world of fragile fleshy people she's...well, not Superman, but more equipped to deal with high crime than many. She can't sit idly by with that kind of power while bad things happen around her, and being who and what (and where) she is bad things are likely to happen around her - or TO her - with depressing regularity.

She's very curious about how humans live - human culture and interaction, local animals, and whatever else captures her fancy.

Powers & Tactics:

Made out of liquid metal, she can change her shape (and level of solidity) at will within some limitations; notably, she can't seperate bits of herself without physical trauma, and she can't recolor herself outside of silvery metalic shades (with the exception of her human guise, which she has only superficial control over). She moves with literal fluid grace, whipping out long boneless 'limbs' tipped with blades or spikes or clubs or the like to inflict damage. She enjoys fighting despite herself, but still tries to end combat as quickly and as cleanly as possible - she's not above intimidating someone with the big scary alien act if it means no bloodshed. She has good battle instincts but is largely untrained.

Complications:

Secret: Identity.

Alien: Alien. Specifically, and aside from the normal attention this would draw, the combination of her solid form and Morph is largely superficial; if you cut her she bleeds silver, her disguise doesn't hold up under x-rays, and so forth.

Your Car Was Delicious: While she can't starve she does require mass (in the form of metals) to replace any mass that is lost or too damaged to heal.

Space-Fish Out of Space-Water: She's been on the planet a little while but is still an alien; humans are weird and their culture is weirder. But the TV's pretty neat.

Abilities: 10+6+4+6+2+4= 32pp

Strength: 20 (+5)

Dexterity: 16 (+3)

Constitution: 14 (+2)

Intelligence: 16 (+3)

Wisdom: 12 (+1)

Charisma: 14 (+2)

Combat: 8+12= 20pp

Initiative: +3

Attack: +4 (+10 melee)

Grapple: +15 (+17 w/ Additional Limbs; +18 w/ Elongation; +20 w/ both)

Defense: +8 (+6 Base, +2 Dodge Focus), +3 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -6

Saving Throws: 7+5+6= 18pp

Toughness: +12 (+2 Constitution, +10 Protection)

Fortitude: +9 (+2 Con, +7)

Reflex: +8 (+3 Dex, +5)

Will: +7 (+1 Wis, +6)

Skills: 28r = 7pp

Concentration 4 (+5)

Diplomacy 4 (+6)

Knowledge (Current Events) 2 (+5)

Knowledge (Pop Culture) 2 (+5)

Language 3 (alien (native), English, Galstandard, Hindi)

Notice 4 (+5)

Search 2 (+5)

Stealth 7 (+10)

Feats: 13pp

Ambidexterity

Attack Focus (Melee) 6

Attractive

Dodge Focus 2

Luck

Takedown Attack

Ultimate Toughness

Powers: 2+3+19+8+3+10+1+8+4+2= 60pp

Additional Limbs 2 (Flaws: Duration [sustained] -0) (up to 2 extra limbs; alien, shapechanging) [2pp]

Elongation 3 (+25ft; alien, shapechanging) [3pp]

Immunity 18 (Starvation/Thirst, Sleep, Critical Hits, Magnetism, Life Support [Disease, Poison, Environmental Conditions, Suffocation]; Feats: Innate) [19pp]

Insubstantial 1 (Extras: Can Become Solid, Flaws: Permanent, Feats: Innate, Selective, Subtle) ('liquid metal'; alien, shapechanging) [8pp]

Morph 1 (single form; Feats: Quick Change 2) (set human form, detail-oriented shapechanging (clothes, hair, etc); alien, shapechanging, mutation) [3pp]

Protection 10 [10pp]

Regeneration 0 (Feats: Regrowth) [1pp]

Strike 5 (Feats: Mighty, Variable Descriptor 2 [any physical]) (alien, shapechanging) [8pp]

Super-Movement 2 (Slithering, Wall-Crawling 1) [4pp]

Super-Senses 2 (Darkvision) [2pp]

DC Block:

ATTACK      RANGE                           SAVE                        EFFECT

Unarmed     Touch                           DC20 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Physical)

Strike      Touch (~30ft w/ Elongation)     DC25 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Physical)

Abilities (32) + Combat (20) + Saving Throws (18) + Skills (7) + Feats (13) + Powers (60) - Drawbacks (0) = 150 Power Points

Fox's Notes

• [*:2jo4mufs]This came about from a joke, really - AA and Gizmo were talking about putting a couple characters in the Fall crowd of Claremont, I commented that I'd always wanted a character in Claremont, and thought I might join them; AA jokingly suggested that I should make my character either (a) insubstantial (because both their characters, at the time of this writing, had the power - Go Team Insubstantial!), or (B) have an immunity to fort saves because then Claremont wouldn't have to power part of the dorms (because, again, both of their characters at the time of this writing had this feature). Clearly it was a joke, but it got my gears turning and this character sort of created herself. You don't see many aliens on the boards, Insubtantial 1 seemed neat, and liquid metal is just a visually-pleasing way to go! She's not quite fort-immune anymore, mind you, having changed a bit from conception; she may be a blob of living metal, but it is LIVING metal. Many immunities, horray!

How does living, selectively hard or liquid metal even work? Alien biology, that's how. I'll explain: you see, a long time ago OH MY LOOK OVER THERE IT'S SOMETHING DISTRACTING!

[*:2jo4mufs]Having a human form - really, changing color outside of the 'metal' spectrum - is really not in this species' normal set of abilities. Fortunately her parents thought ahead, knowing they'd have to blend in, and built/acquired a Science Thingy that could imprint a human form on their normal shapechanging goodness. Practice lets you make relatively minor edits (clothes, hairstyle and length, etc) but not a lot else. She can use her shapechange goodies while in human form, but it breaks the Morph, at least locally - so she would have a big metal arm coming off a normal human body, or sharp metal claws sprouting from human fingertips.

The mechanics here are...odd. A normal human with the standard Insubstantial 1 (who, say, turned into water) would look perfectly human until they...well, turned into water. Turning the situation around, a normally Insubstantial being who's paid for the extra that lets them become solid ought to look normal, too; this combined with Morph 1 hopefully covers making her look like a perfectly normal human to normal senses when she wants to.

[*:2jo4mufs]Why Indian? I wanted something a little more ethnic (having two very white characters already), and it's not an ethnicity that's crawling out of the woodwork. Plus, as strange as it sounds, I like the color palette - the shades of skin and hair tones. It's neat and stands out a little, adding some flavor without screaming "ZOMG REQUISITE ETHNIC SUPERHERO RAAAAAAHR". I figure her parents chose it because they liked the culture. Maybe the landscape, culture, or religion reminded them of home somehow?

[*:2jo4mufs]She is what her people would consider a warrior caste (which I'll explain next), so she has the abilities and the instincts but she's too young to have the combat experience. Thus she has decent combat stats and whatnot, but no tactical maneuver feats or whatever. They'll come with practice and training!

[*:2jo4mufs]Castes - I say her gender's 'apparent' because even though she identifies as female, in as much as gender means anything, the idea doesn't translate well across the species boundary. Her people are born into castes, not genders; they're largely random (like gender) and way way back in the day they'd have determined your path in life, but in current and more enlightened times it just makes some talents a little more likely than others. E.g., a warrior caste is PROBABLY a good fighter, and has the instincts for it, but other castes can be as good or better (much in the same way that a male human is PROBABLY taller than a female human, on average, but it's hardly a guarenteed thing case by case). In all but the most backwards of places, all castes have equal rights and (ostensibly) opportunities.

[*:2jo4mufs]Everything on the sheet is, naturally, subject to change on a whim or revision to the concept; it'll be a long time before I have the Silver slot to make her in! Most of the fluff on the sheet is a placeholder until I write something better up; giving her a proper name will help a lot with that.

• 1 month later...

Character Name:

Power Level: 8 (120/120pp)

Trade-Offs: +1 Attack / -1 Damage, +2 Defense / -2 Toughness

Progress to Bronze Status: 0/30

In Brief:

Badass Semi-Normal.

Alternate Identities:

Identity:

Birthplace:

Affiliations:

Family:

Apparent Age:

Ethnicity:

Height:

Weight:

Eyes:

Hair:

Description:

Power Descriptions:

History:

Powers & Tactics:

Complications:

Abilities: 6+12+8+8+2+6= 42pp

Strength: 16 (+3)

Dexterity: 22 (+6)

Constitution: 18 (+4)

Intelligence: 18 (+4)

Charisma: 16 (+3)

Combat: 10+8= 18pp

Initiative: +6

Attack: +5 (+9 tonfa, boomerangs, needles)

Grapple: +8

Defense: +10 (+4 Base, +6 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -3

Saving Throws: 2+0+4= 6pp

Toughness: +6 (+4 Con, +2 Costume)

Fortitude: +6 (+4 Con, +2)

Reflex: +6 (+6 Dex, +0)

Will: +5 (+1 Wis, +4)

Skills: 80r = 20pp

Acrobatics 4 (+10)

Bluff 7 (+10)

Disable Device 6 (+10)

Escape Artist 4 (+10)

Gather Information 7 (+10)

Intimidate 12 (+15)

Investigate 6 (+10)

Knowledge (current events) 1 (+5)

Knowledge (streetwise) 3 (+7)

Knowledge (tactics) 6 (+10)

Notice 9 (+10)

Search 6 (+10)

Stealth 9 (+15)

Feats: 27pp

Attack Specialization (Tonfa) 2

Attack Specialization (Boomerangs) 1

Blind-Fight

Challenge (Fast Startle)

Dodge Focus 6

Equipment 5

Evasion

Jack of all Trades

Luck

Master Plan 2

Power Attack

Quick Draw

Skill Mastery [intimidate, Investigate, Notice, Stealth]

Sneak Attack

Startle

Uncanny Dodge (audio)

Costume [Protection 2 (Feats: Subtle)] [3ep]

Grappling Gun [Super-Movement 3 (Slow Fall, Swinging, Wall-Crawling 1), Speed 1 (100' per move action)] [7ep]

Handcuffs [1ep]

Utility Belt Array 6 (12ep equipment array; Feats: Alternate Power 2) [14ep]

• Damage 2 (Extras: Range [Ranged], Feats: Accurate, Improved Range [four 50' increments], Improved Ranged Disarm, Mighty 3, Precise, Subtle) (boomerangs) [12/12ep]
    Obscure 4 (visual, radio, 50'; Extras: Independent) (smoke bombs) [12/12ep]
    Paralyze 7 (Extras: Alternate Save [Fortitude, +0], Range [Ranged], Flaws: Limited [slow], Unreliable [5 uses], Feats: Accurate 2, Improved Critical 2, Precise 2, Subtle, Drawback: Reduced Range 2 [two 70' increments]) (throwing needles w/ paralyzing agent) [12/12ep]

Powers: 3+4= 7pp

Device 1 (Black Steel Tonfa, 5dp; Flaws: Easy to Lose) [3pp]

A pair of black custom-made steel tonfa.

Strike 2 (Feats: Improved Critical 1, Mighty) [4dp]

Improved Disarm [1dp]

Super-Senses 4 (Postcognition) (magic) [4pp]

DC Block:

ATTACK                       RANGE     SAVE                        EFFECT

Unarmed                      Touch     DC18 Toughness (Staged)     Damage

Unarmed (Sneak Attack)       Touch     DC20 Toughness (Staged)     Damage

Tonfa                        Touch     DC20 Toughness (Staged)     Damage

Tonfa (Sneak Attack)         Touch     DC22 Toughness (Staged)     Damage

Boomerang                    200'      DC20 Toughness (Staged)     Damage

Boomerang (Sneak Attack)     200'      DC22 Toughness (Staged)     Damage

Paralyze                     140'      DC17 Fortitude              Slow

Abilities (42) + Combat (18) + Saving Throws (6) + Skills (20) + Feats (27) + Powers (7) - Drawbacks (0) = 120 Power Points

• 2 months later...

Hmm. It occured to me that I'd discounted Shapeshift on the basis of not having 'enough points to make it worthwhile'. But even the 10pp it'd offer would offer a lot, it seems; not everything, of course, but it's an interesting idea.

For comparison:

Wraith, right now.

Additional Limbs 2 (Flaws: Duration [sustained] -0) (up to 2 extra limbs; alien, shapechanging) [2pp]

Elongation 3 (+25ft; alien, shapechanging) [3pp]

Immunity 18 (Starvation/Thirst, Sleep, Critical Hits, Magnetism, Life Support [Disease, Poison, Environmental Conditions, Suffocation]; Feats: Innate) [19pp]

Insubstantial 1 (Extras: Can Become Solid, Flaws: Permanent, Feats: Innate, Selective, Subtle) ('liquid metal'; alien, shapechanging) [8pp]

Morph 1 (single form; Feats: Quick Change 2) (set human form, detail-oriented shapechanging (clothes, hair, etc); alien, shapechanging, mutation) [3pp]

Protection 10 [10pp]

Regeneration 0 (Feats: Regrowth) [1pp]

Strike 5 (Feats: Mighty, Variable Descriptor 2 [any physical]) (alien, shapechanging) [8pp]

Super-Movement 2 (Slithering, Wall-Crawling 1) [4pp]

Redone for Shapeshift:

Protection 10 [10pp]

Shapeshift 2 (10pp) (alien, shapechanging) [16pp]

Strike 5 (Feats: Improved Critical, Mighty), Elongation 2 (+10ft), Speed 1 (10mph / 100 feet per Move Action) [7+1+2= 10/10] 'whip-blades'

Additional Limbs 3 (+5 limbs; Flaws: Duration 0 [sustained]), Elongation 3 (+25ft), Super-Strength 2 (+10 STR) [3+3+4= 10/10] 'give us a hug'

Morph 8 (single form, +40 Disguise; Feats: Quick-Change 2) (mutation) [10/10] 'human guise'

Super-Movement 3 (Slithering, Wall-Crawling 2), Speed 1 (10mph / 100ft per Move Action), Leaping 3 (x10, ~150ft running jump) [6+1+3= 10/10] 'must go faster'

Drain Toughness 5 (Extras: Affects Objects, Linked [Damage, Healing], Flaws: Affects Only Objects, Limited [metals]) +

Damage 5 (Extras: Affects Objects, Linked [Drain, Healing], Flaws: Affects Only Objects, Limited [metals]) +

Healing 2 (Extras: Action 1 [standard], Linked [Drain, Damage], Flaws: Personal, Feats: Regrowth) [2.5+2.5+5= 10/10] 'ohm nom nom'

The change would offer a decent amount, including the metal-corroding ability I didn't think I'd be able to afford until much later, plus it offers a much better, more solid Morph than assuming her human form would be covered by token Morph + Insubstantial fluff mechanics. On the other hand, the amount of things she can have at once is more restricted - she'd have fewer powers simultaneously, and if she wants to, say, go from grappling to straight-up damage she'd have to take a move action to redistribute herself for the task. Each individual attack or grapple would be better, though.

She'd also free up...what, like five power points to be spent elsewhere? Could put that into skills or feats or stats or some Impervious on that Protection. Hmmmm.

• 1 month later...

Wraith's final version! Posted here so that I can easily check formatting, obsess over details, and get feedback before submission in case I've missed anything big. Whee!

She's sorta one part movie alien monster, one part dignified warrior race, one part straightman. I like it. And it averts some classic alien tropes - she didn't crash-land, she has no psychic powers, and while her race has faster-than-light travel that doesn't mean she's any better at science than the average human. She's 16, for goodness' sakes!

Still not sure I'm completely satisfied with the race name - 'kinigos' is Greek for hunter; on AA's suggestion, I figure maybe Daedalus swung by their planet and gave them a name he thought was appropriate. Dunno. There're also nymphs in Greek mythology called Lampades, which are underworld nymphs that carry torches to guide or trick; that's a kinda neat thing, and might seem appropriate since they tend to live in tunnel networks, but I'm not quite sure if I like the feel of the word itself. Lahm-PAHD-ehs. Hmm.

Character Name: Wraith

Power Level: 10 (150/150PP)

Trade-Offs: +2 Toughness / -2 Defense

Progress to Gold: 0/90 (Silver status earned with Dragonfly)

In Brief:

A nice, kind teenage girl who's actually an alien made of fluid metal.

Alternate Identities: Indira Singh

Identity: secret

Birthplace: Kinigos

Affiliations: Claremont

Family: mother, father

Apparent Age: 16

Ethnicity: Kinigosi; Indian (apparent)

Height: 5'10"

Weight: 190lbs

Eyes: solid black (alien), dark brown (human)

Hair: none (alien), very dark brown (human)

Description:

In her human guise, Indira Singh is a charming young lady with a pleasant face, dark eyes, and long dark brown hair; an athletic build and oddly fluid grace belie her true weight and the true nature that causes it. Indira favors slim, light clothing - more often than not she's making it herself with her shapeshifting, and it's simply easier to create and maintain.

As she truly is, Indira is a largish and usually humanoid being made of seamless silvery metal, polished-looking and warm to the touch. She has three eyes (the third of which is in the center of her 'forehead', vertically oriented), all of which are pure black; she has no mouth and (for that matter) no other visible orifices. Everything else is likely to change with mood and the needs of the moment, though the longer she's on Earth and in human form the more feminine the 'body' of her alien form tends to be at default. Rather absurdly, she often gives her alien form a small raised area around the eyes, like a (three-eyed) domino mask...because heroes wear masks, of course.

Power Descriptions:

See 'Powers & Tactics'.

History:

Crime has always spread to wherever there was room to hold it, and as the name would imply there's a lot of room in space. So much room, in fact, that crime can be had on a scale unheard of on any single planet - but the problem with large, sprawling criminal empires is that sometimes you need front businesses, bean counters, legitimate employees, paper trails...and sometimes someone you've 'encouraged' to work for you gets ahold of some terribly sensitive information, something they can give the authorities to help hurt or bring down a sizeable piece of your empire. Unfortunately for them, this is probably enough to do some very painful damage but not enough to cripple or end your organization, so they're almost certain to have to be relocated somewhere where they won't be found by angry humanoids with squinty eyes and middle names like "Big Jim" or "the Claw".

This was something of a problem for the Lor, once the case was finished and the testimony given. They had three members of a relatively rare race that needed to be hidden somewhere, away from the seeking eyes of a sprawling and angry criminal group suspected to have connections everywhere from the Khanate to the Lor Republic government itself. Fortunately, there just so happened to be a little planet that wasn't so developed that a few aliens couldn't remain fairly anonymous, but developed enough to be comfortable; a place with a good variety of distinct cultures and peoples, where the odd was almost common in places and where the Lor just happened to have a few contacts in good standing. And so it was that Indira and her family came to Earth: first to India, where they established an identity for themselves, and then to Freedom City, where even the odd alien sighting would hopefully be lost in the unsettlingly high concentration of metahumans and mythological beings come to life. As an added bonus, Indira could be sent to a school where she wouldn't stand out quite so much....

A kind but fierce soul, Indira fights crime mostly because she feels that she must. Not only is it an excellent excuse to let loose and - literally - be herself for a while, but in a world of fragile fleshy beings she's...well, not exactly the Centurion, but more equipped to deal with high crime than many. She can't sit idly by with that kind of strength while bad things happen around her.

She's very curious about how humans live - human culture and interaction, local animals, and whatever else captures her fancy. By and large she tends to be a bit formal and straight-laced as a consequence of her upbringing, but that doesn't mean she's one to turn down an opportunity to cut loose if she can get away with it and it sounds like fun....

Powers & Tactics:

Wraith is capable of shifting and reshaping her own body mass in response to what she needs to do and/or be for the task at hand: if she needs to run quickly she becomes sleek and almost quadrupedal, if she needs to fight her way through a sea of minions she sprouts long whip-like limbs tipped with hammers or scythe-like blades, and so on. She can similarly change her solidity, anywhere from a viscous but highly fluid metal to more solid than any Earthly steel. This ability isn't without limitations, however: bits of herself that are completely separated from her main mass are lost forever if not quickly recovered (and the separation is very painful), and her ability to change her color is extremely limited. A normal member of her race can only shift between metallic shades, and generally only in shades of silver or grey; a combination of Kinigosi and Lor technology has introduced a mutation that lets her kind assume a single humanoid form and to - with practice - change details of that form in the way of clothes and hairstyle and the like, but the basic template is relatively fixed and most shapeshifting will create obvious breaks in the facade (eg, she could elongate a limb, but it would be a normal human upper arm connected to a normal human lower arm by a long metallic tentacle).

Her people are born with castes, not genders (though the social importance of one's caste has decreased dramatically since less civilized times); Wraith would be considered a prime specimen of the warrior caste, highly fit with excellent shapeshifting control and good fighting instincts. That said, she has relatively little fighting training or experience, and relies heavily on those instincts to get her through combat. She tries diplomacy if it seems likely to work but otherwise hits hard, fast, and has a bad habit of relying on her considerable durability over tactics.

Complications:

Alien: Alien. Not only does she often look and move like a sci-fi horror movie monster, but even her human guise is essentially skin-deep: if you cut her she bleeds silver, she weighs too much for her size, her inhumanity is immediately apparent to many super-senses, etc.

Your Car Was Delicious: While she can't starve she does require mass (in the form of metals) to replace any mass that is lost or too damaged to heal.

Space-Fish Out of Space-Water: She's been on the planet a little while but is still an alien; humans are weird and their culture is weirder (but the TV's pretty neat), and she has to deal with being foreign both as an alien and as a recently-immigrated Indian.

Witness Protection: This is why she and her family are on Earth to begin with; while most up in space aren't likely to be watching broadcasts from that little blue planet full of under-developed monkeys, there are people out there looking for her parents, and would find her terribly useful as leverage - this puts certain risks on whatever she does, and means there's probably an overworked Lor witsec officer somewhere who'd rather she kept a low profile.

Abilities: 10+6+10+6+2+4= 38pp

Strength: 20 (+5)

Dexterity: 16 (+3)

Constitution: 20 (+5)

Intelligence: 16 (+3)

Combat: 8+8= 16pp

Initiative: +3

Attack: +4 (+10 melee)

Grapple: +15

Defense: +8 (+4 Base, +4 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -6

Saving Throws: 4+5+5= 14pp

Toughness: +12 (+5 Con, +7 Protection)

Fortitude: +9 (+5 Con, +4)

Reflex: +8 (+3 Dex, +5)

Will: +6 (+1 Wis, +5)

Skills: 32r = 8pp

Bluff 4 (+6, +10 w/ Attractive)

Concentration 4 (+5)

Diplomacy 4 (+6, +10 w/ Attractive)

Knowledge (Current Events) 2 (+5)

Knowledge (Pop Culture) 2 (+5)

Language 3 (Kinigosi (native), English, Galstandard, Hindi)

Notice 4 (+5)

Search 2 (+5)

Stealth 7 (+10)

Feats: 15pp

Ambidexterity

Attack Focus (Melee) 6

Attractive

Dodge Focus 4

Luck

Takedown Attack

Ultimate Toughness

Powers: 36+7+16 = 59pp

Alien Biology 7 (35pp Passive Container; Feats: Innate) [36pp] (alien)

Immunity 23 (Starvation/Thirst, Sleep, Critical Hits, Falling damage, all Magnetism effects, Life Support [Disease, Poison, Environmental Conditions, Suffocation]) [23pp]

Insubstantial 1 (Extras: Can Become Solid, Flaws: Permanent, Feats: Selective, Subtle) ('liquid metal') [7pp]

Super-Senses 5 (Visual [Counters Obscure 2 (Darkness), Infravision], Audio [ultra-Hearing], Normal Olfactory [Acute 1]) [5pp]

Protection 7 [7pp]

Shapeshift 2 (10pp) (alien, shapeshifting) [16pp]

Sample configurations:

Strike 5 (Feats: Improved Critical, Mighty), Elongation 2 (+10ft), Speed 1 (10mph / 100 feet per Move Action) [7+2+1= 10/10] 'whip-blades/clubs'

Additional Limbs 3 (+5 limbs; Flaws: Duration 0 [sustained]), Elongation 3 (+25ft), Super-Strength 2 (+10 STR) [3+3+4= 10/10] 'give us a hug'

Morph 8 (single form, +40 Disguise; Feats: Quick-Change 2) (mutation) [10/10] 'human guise'

Super-Movement 3 (Slithering, Wall-Crawling 2), Speed 1 (10mph / 100ft per Move Action), Super-Senses 1 (Normal Olfactory [Tracking]), Leaping 2 (x5, ~75ft running jump) [6+1+1+2= 10/10] 'hunter'

Drain Toughness 5 (Extras: Affects Objects, Linked [Damage, Healing], Flaws: Affects Only Objects, Limited [metals]) +

Damage 5 (Extras: Affects Objects, Linked [Drain, Healing], Flaws: Affects Only Objects, Limited [metals]) +

Healing 2 (Extras: Action 1 [standard], Linked [Drain, Damage], Flaws: Personal, Feats: Regrowth) [2.5+2.5+5= 10/10] 'ohm nom nom'

DC Block:

ATTACK              RANGE                           SAVE                        EFFECT

Unarmed             Touch                           DC20 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Physical)

Strike Setting      Touch (~15ft w/ Elongation)     DC25 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Physical)

Abilities (38) + Combat (16) + Saving Throws (14) + Skills (8) + Feats (15) + Powers (59) - Drawbacks (0) = 150 Power Points

• 8 months later...

[floatr]dragon-human04.png[/floatr]

Character Name: ?????

Power Level: 11 (172/175pp)

Trade-Offs: -4/+4 Attack/Damage, -4/+4 Defense/Toughness

Unspent Power Points: 0

Progress To Bronze Status: 0/30

In Brief:

Dragon!

Alternate Identity:

Identity: Secret

Birthplace:

Affiliations: Gaian Knight

Family:

Description:

Apparent Age: mid-twenties

Ethnicity: lizard (caucasian, in human form)

Height:

Weight:

Eyes: red

Hair: red

(description pending)

Power Descriptions:

History:

Brought to this Earth by mistake, and decided it wasn't so bad starting with a fresh slate....

Proud, hot-headed bruiser, but her heart's in the right place and she's terribly loyal.

Powers & Tactics:

Hit it until it stops fighting back, then stop hitting it.

Complications:

Dragon: Dragon.

Abilities: 6 + 0 + 10 + 4 + 0 + 4 = 24pp

Strength: 16 (+3) / 40 (+15)

Dexterity: 10 (+0)

Constitution: 20 (+5) / 32 (+11)

Intelligence: 14 (+2)

Wisdom: 10 (+0)

Combat: 8 + 8 = 16pp

Initiative: +0

Attack: +9 (mace) / +11 (unarmed, human) / +7 (unarmed, dragon) / +4 Ranged

Grapple: +15 / +34 / +44

Defense: +11 (+4 Base, +7 Dodge Focus) / +7 Dragon, +2 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -2 / -13

Saving Throws: 3 + 7 + 8 = 18pp

Toughness: +5 (+5 Con) / +15 (+11 Con, +4 Protection)

Fortitude: +8 (+5 Con, +3) / +14 (+11 Con, +3)

Reflex: +7 (+0 Dex, +7)

Will: +8 (+0 Wis, +8)

Skills: 68r = 17pp

Bluff 8 (+10)

Intimidate 16 (+18, +24 dragon)

Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 8 (+10)

Notice 13 (+13)

Search 3 (+5)

Sense Motive 10 (+10)

Survival 10 (+10)

Feats: 19pp

Attack Focus (melee) 5

Attack Specialization (unarmed) 1

Dodge Focus 7

Move-by-Action

Power Attack

Startle

Takedown Attack

Ultimate Save (toughness)

Uncanny Dodge (auditory)

Powers: 54 + 4 + 16 + 3 + 6 + 3 = 86pp

Alternate Form 11 (Drawbacks: Action [Move]) [54pp] (dragon form; magic, shapeshifting)

Damage 3 (Extras: Area (General, Line), Feats: Alternate Power 1) [7pp] (stacked on fire breath, below)

AP: Super-Strength 10 (Feats: Super-Breath, Thunderclap) (22/22)

Flight 1 [2pp]

Growth 12 (Extras: Permanent, Feats: Innate) [37pp]

Protection 4 (Feats: Innate) [5pp] (dragon hide)

Super-Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [2pp]

Super-Senses 2 (Visual (Extended), Auditory (Extended)) [4pp]

Comprehend 2 (Speak Any, Understand Any) [4pp] (gift of tongues)

Damage 8 (Extras: Area (Line)) [16pp] (fire breath)

Device 1 (Flaw: Easy-to-Lose) [3pp]

Strike 4 (Feat: Mighty) [5pp]

Immunity 2 (Aging, Fire Effects (Flaw: Half)) [6pp]

Super-Senses 1 (Detect Magic (olfactory, Acute, Ranged)) [3pp]

DC Block

ATTACK                RANGE        SAVE                        EFFECT

Unarmed (human)       Touch        DC18 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Physical)

Unarmed (dragon)      Touch        DC30 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Physical)

Mace                  Touch        DC22 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Physical)

Fire Breath (human)   Area (line)  DC23 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Fire)

Fire Breath (dragon)  Area (line)  DC26 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Fire)

Thunderclap			  Area         DC21 Reflex				   Deafened

DC21 Fortitude (-1/round)   recover

Totals: Abilities (24) + Combat (16) + Saving Throws (18) + Skills (17) + Feats (19) + Powers (86) - Drawbacks (0) = 180/180 Power Points

Revision 1! Now balanced at 180pp, which means GK would have to cough up 6pp on top of the two veteran rewards. As of this writing, he'd have to earn two more pp in the time it takes Dragonfly to earn 8 and get the second of the afore-mentioned veteran rewards. Can he do it? Who knows!

The mace is a device now, to make it a little more reliable and justify the +4 damage. It also pushes her attack/damage tradeoff a little closer to damage, which I like. She loses some sense motive, but ehn...it was much too high to begin with. Exotic saves went down a bit too, though, and getting them back up would have to be a priority; the reflex is okay considering the heavy toughness, but I like high will saves on my high-toughness characters. Determination!

Also, note that the math doesn't work out on this character - the Powers section, notably, does not add up. This is a thing I am aware of!

Ignore the weirdly-huge picture there; it's my working design, which I made at larger scale so that it was easier to nitpick at.

So! Once upon a time Dragonfly was sent to a sword&magic style version of Earth and she defeated a dragon, and then shoved it in her dimensional pocket to save it from angry villagers. And then forgot about it. I've been wondering what to DO about that for ages, since a dragon isn't really her style, and one possible solution is to have her give it to Gaian Knight (as he's the only sword & magic style person she knows!), and making it into his sidekick.

That's what this is - a potential sidekick for GK, funded with 5pp of his own and two veteran rewards (bronze & gold). I'm not really happy with this build yet, to be honest - my goal was to have a PL8 human turn into a PL11 dragon, and while I have the latter mostly where I want it the restrictions Growth places on me means that the human side is awfully attack and defense shifted for a bruiser. Sigh.

I figure she's sort of a wild but dignified warrior woman - a more proud, head-strong combat specialist counterpoint to Wraith's more controlled, focused combat specialist stylings. Being on a whole new world is probably deeply unsettling, but assuming she didn't have too many ties to the old one she'd adjust well enough, and she might enjoy being able to wipe the slate clean and not have to worry about knights that want to kill her and peasantry that's just waiting for her to fall asleep so they can stick a pitchfork in her eye. But 'good' is not necessarily 'nice' - she's from an old world with old rules, and GK's going to have his hands full teaching her the ropes of the modern age and morality. Fighting evil will also give her that old combat rush she loves - really, she'd probably get along with the likes of Thrude.

The sheet's unfinished, note - I made some revisions while putting this here and ended up UNDER-budget, but not by a lot. Not sure what to do there. I could potentially switch the equipment out for a device mace, I guess, representing very solid construction...hmm, hmm.

The unnamed dragon here has the usual dragon-y bits: she's big, she's strong, she breathes fire. She borrows a lot from AA's oddball dragon, actually; the super-breath/thunderclap bit was particularly neat. Her flight speed's really kinda low, but I figure that's more casual speed than anything; with her con she could move all-out for a while! It may be worth considering boosting it, though, at least another rank - hopefully I can shuffle stuff in the dragon-form-container around to make it an even rank. But yeah, dragon form's a bit of a brick - soak hits, startle, attack for massive damage. She's big enough, too, that if she misses you by less than 5 you're still subject to an area attack (reflex for half). Whee! She'll have problems with defense-shifted characters, though...which she darn well should, really. She can always try to cook you with her breath or flat-foot you, I guess.

In human form, she's...well, not remotely as brick-y as I was hoping, to be honest. Attack and defense shifted, more a very good warrior than anything else (which isn't bad, for its own flavor). That armor she's wearing is completely for show - she likes her armor old-school, and it's neither modern nor covering enough to offer her much of anything in the way of stat-worthy combat protection. Maybe good for fluff in combat posts, I guess? The mace is just a masterwork mace, to augment her attacks, though she's still not a complete slouch in hand-to-hand.

My wishlist for this character, if I had the points, would be full fire immunity, another rank of flight, a device mace (indestructible? I'd have to figure out where it came from...maybe tie it into GK's sword, as a future plot point, or...something - there's potential there, if her mace came from whatever enemy faction the sword was built to counter)

I am extremely sorry for adding problems to an already troubling build, but

Alternate Form: Increasing the Action to use this power is a -1pp per step Drawback, not a -1pp/rank per step Flaw. (Since Alternate Form is not something one normally activates multiple times per combat -- in most cases, you activate it at the start of a fight and do not turn it off until you're done -- requiring a longer time to active it is not as big a hindrance as it would be for Attack effects like Blast, which would be used almost every round.)

Also, you may want to consider a Huge dragon instead of Gargantuan.

Aha, I knew I'd seen that somewhere. Thanks! For some reason I thought it was in the books, but didn't find it there...thought my mind was making things up on me. That was actually the 'made some revisions while putting this here', because I couldn't find why I'd initially built it as a Drawback and not a Flaw.

And I did consider Huge; the initial prototype build was huge, actually. I may still end up doing that, depending on budget; on the pro side, she'd fit into smaller spaces better. On the con side, she'd be significantly smaller, especially considering that she's built more long than high and the size limit on Huge would make her smaller than I'd like.

Work in progress!

Ah - sorry, not quite what I meant. I kind of ramble on this thread because I'm not used to other people bothering to read it!

She isn't snake-like, but dragons - even western dragons - are built more long than tall, especially while bipedal. Growth puts a limit on the size of the character, not just the strict height; a dragon that's 16' long or so wouldn't be quite as tall at the shoulder as I'd like for what I'm building (and what's been established already, since this character does come from a disposable enemy in another thread).

I could get around that last bit, of course, and Huge would certainly have its benefits - she'd be at least slightly more maneuverable, for one. A gargantuan character generally needs a minimum of a 20'x20' space to occupy; Huge only needs 15'x15'. Still not likely to fit into most buildings, of course, but at least more manageable. She'd lose the area attacks on a small miss, sadly, but she'd be able to tou- and attack-shift a bit more in human form, which might not be so bad.

I also may be being too strict on myself about the size limitations. There isn't a lot to use for comparison; according to the core book, an Elephant is Huge (recorded as being up to 13' high at the shoulder, and relatively square-ish), but so's a T-Rex (13' at the hip, and up to 42' long. It's still something I'm considering, and like I said, her prototype build was Huge - I'm sure I'll waffle quite a bit (may make a second build where she's Huge, for comparison), but for now I at least have a decent 180pp build to work with.

Character Name: ?????

Power Level: 11 (172/175pp)

Progress To Bronze Status: 0/30

In Brief:

Dragon!

Alternate Identity:

Birthplace:

Family:

Description:

Ethnicity: lizard (caucasian, in human form)

Height:

Weight:

Hair: red

(description pending)

Power Descriptions:

History:

Brought to this Earth by mistake, and decided it wasn't so bad starting with a fresh slate....

Proud, hot-headed bruiser, but her heart's in the right place and she's terribly loyal.

Powers & Tactics:

Hit it until it stops fighting back, then stop hitting it.

Complications:

Abilities: 14 + 2 + 14 + 4 + 0 + 4 = 38pp

Strength: 24 (+7) / 40 (+15)

Dexterity: 12 (+1)

Constitution: 24 (+7) / 32 (+11)

Initiative: +5

Attack: +6 (mace) / +9 (unarmed, human) / +7 (unarmed, dragon) / +4 Ranged

Grapple: +16 / +30 / +40

Defense: +9 (+4 Base, +5 Dodge Focus) / +7 Dragon, +2 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -3 / -15

Saving Throws: 2 + 7 + 9 = 18pp

Toughness: +7 (+7 Con) / +15 (+11 Con, +4 Protection)

Fortitude: +9 (+7 Con, +2) / +13 (+11 Con, +2)

Will: +9 (+0 Wis, +9)

Bluff 8 (+10)

Intimidate 16 (+18, +22 dragon)

Notice 13 (+13)

Search 3 (+5)

Sense Motive 10 (+10)

Survival 10 (+10)

Feats: 14pp

Attack Focus (melee) 1

Attack Specialization (unarmed) 2

Dodge Focus 5

Move-by-Action

Ritualist

Startle

Takedown Attack

Uncanny Dodge (auditory)

Powers: 45 + 4 + 16 + 3 + 6 + 3 = 77pp

Alternate Form 9.2 (Drawbacks: Action [Move]) [45pp] (dragon form; magic, shapeshifting)

Damage 3 (Extras: Area (General, Cone), Feats: Alternate Power 1) [7pp] (stacked on fire breath, below)

AP: Super-Strength 10 (Feats: Super-Breath, Thunderclap) (22/22)

Flight 2 [4pp]

Growth 8 (Extras: Permanent, Feats: Innate) [25pp]

Super-Senses 2 (All Visual (Extended), Normal Auditory (Extended)) [3pp]

Damage 8 (Extras: Area (Cone)) [16pp] (fire breath)

Feature (Masterwork; +1 Attack) [1pp]

Strike 3 (Feat: Mighty) [4pp]

Super-Senses 2 (Detect Magic (olfactory, Acute), Infravision) [3pp]

DC Block

Unarmed (human)       Touch        DC22 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Physical)

Unarmed (dragon)      Touch        DC30 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Physical)

Mace                  Touch        DC25 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Physical)

Fire Breath (human)   Area (cone)  DC23 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Fire)

Fire Breath (dragon)  Area (cone)  DC26 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Fire)

Thunderclap			  Area         DC21 Reflex				   Deafened

Totals: Abilities (38) + Combat (16) + Saving Throws (18) + Skills (17) + Feats (14) + Powers (77) - Drawbacks (0) = 180/180 Power Points

As promised above, a build for a Huge version - sort of a mix between her original Huge prototype build (not posted here, because it's awful and unformatted!) and some of the stuff from the Gargantuan build up above.

Minor changes here and there...saves are altered a bit, and her breath attack is now a cone. This bugged me at first, because a line is too straight (I'd associate it more with some big beam-style attack), but a cone spreads too wide too quickly for me to believe it comes from something like a mouth. But I poked around and realized that generally when dragons are depicted breathing fire, it leaves their mouth in a very narrow cone...and spreads way out when it hits the ground. So I'm okay with cone, mechanically: the core of the flame would be narrower but as soon as it hit the ground (which would be soon!) it'd billow out into the mechanics-dictated cone shape. Much better for goon-sweeping, too!

Less minor are the changes to physical stats, caps, and size. The reduction in dragon size means that her human form can afford better physical stats, in their raw, base ability forms. This is now one tough lady - she's strong, she's durable. She also now meets three sets of caps, which I personally find horrifying and hilarious: she's somewhat attack-shifted bare-handed, she's somewhat damage-shifted with the mace, and she's heavily damage-shifted in dragon form. And she meets her respective caps in all three (assuming her human form is built around PL8 caps). Haha! Algebra!

Still waffling on the size thing, but given that a T-Rex (which got up to 13' high at the hip and 40' long) are apparently Growth 8 (Kensoooon! :argh: ), I might be okay with Growth 8 here, if I can take that 16' Growth height stat as literal height, probably at the shoulder for a quadrupedal fire-breathing lizard. She loses the area attack, too, on near-misses...unless her opponent is Small, anyway. C'est la vie - c'est, ce que c'est.

Still on the wish-list, if I could (and decided to) swing them: full fire immunity; also - maybe, but at very low priority - quick-draw, to rapidly switch between the mace and unarmed (but she probably doesn't really need it - if you've gotta waste a move action, just Charge or something to make up for it).

EDIT: Many thanks to Shaen, who pointed out that I was overcharging myself on super-senses, and that Power Attack wouldn't benefit the Dragon form as much as other feats might. Gave her another rank of flight and infravision with the freed points, and traded power attack for ritualist. Nobody suspects the mace-swinging dragon lady of knowing rituals and wards!

Character Name: Tiamat

Power Level: 11 (180/180pp)

In Brief:

A dragon stuck in the modern world, with a chance at a clean slate and a society with fewer torches and pitchforks.

Alternate Identity: Teagan Delphyne

Birthplace: Europe, alternate Earth

Family: None local.

Description:

Ethnicity: lizard (Caucasian, in human form)

Height: 6' (human), up to 16' (dragon)

Weight: 165lbs / ~6 tons

Hair: long, dark red

Tall and fit with dark red hair and red eyes, few would disagree that Teagan is attractive, but not the sort of attractive one finds on a runway or the cover of a magazine; where willowy supermodels may look like they'd be blown over by a strong wind, Teagan Delphyne is better described as the strong wind itself. Strong, attractive features built on a (deceptively) strong frame, she wouldn't look terribly out of place in a set of armor at the head of a medieval army. It's something she's likely well aware of, as when fighting crime she dons a dark grey and red chestplate and cape over dark red pants and sturdy boots, her hair pulled up and her identity hidden under a simple domino mask.

When changes to her true form, though, she looks like the thing the army rides against - then she is large and truly powerful, a European-style quadrupedal, horned dragon straight out of myth and legend. Her hide run tan along her underside but crimson everywhere else, a huge creature of teeth and scales and awful beauty. For all her savage glory, the intelligence behind her slitted red eyes mark her unmistakeably as above a common beast.

Power Descriptions:

Teagan's powers are typically either subtle or inherent to her being - the major exception to this is her fire breath, a directed storm of billowing red and orange flames. When changing shape her personal belongings disappear, clothes and mace simply lost from existence until she changes back.

History:

Once upon a time there was a dragon, living in a world where magic had never quite been traded in for science, and where the populace knew that dragons were something to be feared and destroyed, lest they destroy cities and eat livestock. And that's precisely what dragons did, too: difficult to gather together when your species is so competative, and nigh impossible to blend into human society when even if you could disguise your eyes and hair the magic that offered you human form left you marked with a symbol of what you truly were.

It was simply the way of things: it was how Teagan was raised, and it was how she lived, until one day she encountered a dimensionally-displaced heroine from a little place called Freedom City. They fought, of course, but even a mighty dragon isn't prepared for modern technology; her last waking memory on her home was hitting the ground and assuming that the nearby peasants would take advantage of her weakness and finish her, once and for all.

And then she woke up somewhere very different with a very strange man nearby. He smelled of earth and old magic, and patiently explained that this may have been the way of things, but circumstances had offered her a new way: a clean slate, in a new place, full of strange people and powers, where she could blend in, if she wanted. Where her kind was the stuff of unbelieved but fondly-remembered legends, where - if she chose, and wanted it badly enough - she could be respected, not feared...or at least, only feared by those worth being feared by. Where every day could be something new, and interesting, and carry fights to remember.

Teagan is proud, and she can be more than a little hot-headed, but with a new chance and a clean slate her heart's in the right place. Helping people - and having them thankful to be helped! - is both novel and deeply gratifying, and the ability to fight truly worthy fights is the delicious icing on a wonderful cake. She's loyal to a fault, enjoys a good challenge (and generally respects those who give her one), and generally willing to stand her ground, no matter the cost, for a good cause.

She has a lot to learn about her new world, but she's not as thick-headed as she'd sometimes like to appear - she learns quickly, and looking foolish or out of place hurts her dignity enough that she puts real effort into trying to fit into modern day America.

Powers & Tactics:

No matter her form or the battle, her strategy is pretty straight-forward: hit it until it stops fighting back, and then stop hitting it. She's a little too used to being able to win by pure, overwhemling force, but she's a clever and experienced (if largely self-trained from said experience and observing her better-trained but less powerful opponents) fighter coming from a lifetime of being hunted for being what she was.

Complications:

Abilities: 14 + 2 + 14 + 4 + 0 + 4 = 38pp

Strength: 24 (+7) / 40 (+15)

Dexterity: 12 (+1)

Constitution: 24 (+7) / 32 (+11)

Initiative: +1

Attack: +6 (mace) / +9 (unarmed, human) / +7 (unarmed, dragon) / +4 Ranged

Grapple: +16 / +30 / +40

Defense: +9 (+4 Base, +5 Dodge Focus) / +7 Dragon, +2 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -3 / -15

Saving Throws: 2 + 7 + 9 = 18pp

Toughness: +7 (+7 Con) / +15 (+11 Con, +4 Protection)

Fortitude: +9 (+7 Con, +2) / +13 (+11 Con, +2)

Will: +9 (+0 Wis, +9)

Bluff 8 (+10)

Intimidate 16 (+18, +22 dragon)

Notice 13 (+13)

Search 3 (+5)

Sense Motive 10 (+10)

Survival 10 (+10)

Feats: 14pp

Attack Focus (melee) 1

Attack Specialization (unarmed) 2

Dodge Focus 5

Move-by-Action

Ritualist

Startle

Takedown Attack

Uncanny Dodge (auditory)

Powers: 45 + 4 + 16 + 3 + 6 + 3 = 77pp

Alternate Form 9.2 (Drawbacks: Action [Move]) [45pp] (dragon form; magic, shapeshifting)

Damage 3 (Extras: Area (General, Cone), Feats: Alternate Power 1) [7pp] (stacked on fire breath, below)

AP: Super-Strength 10 (Heavy Load: 3,200 tons; Feats: Super-Breath, Thunderclap) (22/22)

Flight 2 (25mph / 250 ft per move action) [4pp]

Growth 8 (Extras: Permanent, Feats: Innate) [25pp]

Super-Senses 2 (All Visual (Extended), Normal Auditory (Extended)) [3pp]

Damage 8 (Extras: Area (Cone)) [16pp] (fire breath)

Feature (Masterwork; +1 Attack) [1pp]

Strike 3 (Feat: Mighty) [4pp]

Super-Senses 2 (Detect Magic (olfactory, Acute), Infravision) [3pp]

DC Block

Unarmed (human)       Touch        DC22 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Physical)

Unarmed (dragon)      Touch (10')  DC30 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Physical)

Mace                  Touch        DC25 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Physical)

Fire Breath (human)   80' cone     DC23 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Fire)

Fire Breath (dragon)  110' cone    DC26 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Fire)

Thunderclap           55' radius   DC21 Reflex                 Deafened

Totals: Abilities (38) + Combat (16) + Saving Throws (18) + Skills (17) + Feats (14) + Powers (77) - Drawbacks (0) = 180/180 Power Points

Alright, here we go - almost semi sort of finalized...ish. Fluff probably needs a little revising, but I like to write it out and then come back to it later with a fresh mind.

Working hero name of 'Tiamat' - it's dragon-associated, at least, and mythological enough to not be taken as her actual, literal name. There's such a lack of good female dragon names in mythology to draw from! Tiamat's technically associated more with the ocean than anything else, but she's a big force of chaos so hey. If I think of something better later I'll use that. Delphyne was too soft for a hero name, but works great as a last name, and gives her a bit of an earth association, which is nice; Teagan means 'little poet', which doesn't really suit her at all, which I find funny. Plus, I just really like the sound of the name.

I call this version 1.1; stats haven't really changed from the last one, though I touched up the math a bit. Fluff's there, so the character has a better feel to her - she's hot-headed, she's proud, but if you need somebody at your back in a brawl, she's your girl. Sort of a Hawk Girl/Valkyrie feel, kind of. She's big, she's strong, she'll punch you in the face! She'll pull out her trusty mace if she thinks you're worth being hit by it. Hopefully she's an interesting foil for GK, who's much more laid-back and patient, and humble to a fault. Hopefully they'll be good influences on each other.

Her Wisdom seems low for somebody her age (though in dragon terms, she's about as old as she looks! Her aging immunity isn't so much 'doesn't age' but 'ages so slowly relative to humans that she may as well not age'), but she's in a new place, with new people and new rules - Wisdom measures common sense and intuition, and her common sense and intuitions don't apply so well in modern Freedom City. She'll catch up, and then get a least Wis 12. Some day!

Still need to figure out her casual wardrobe. I toyed with this way back when I was first trying to work out her design, on the idea that she could hang out with GK and help him with his professor stuff as sort of an informal assistant, but we'll see. Don't get me wrong, she looks good in a suit, but I'll have to play with it some more.

Note to...well, uh, to me, I guess:

Active containers are sustained by default; as-is, the moment Tiamat was KO'd she'd turn back to human form.

That's stupid for her concept.

I can take the extended auditory out of her dragon form and put it on her human form to drop her Alternate Form rank to 9; she then needs 9pp to boost her Alternate Form up to Continuous. I'm not entirely sure where to scrape that from - GK may have to cough up another 2pp or so in order to bump her up to 190pp (which means he can't have her unless he has 191pp, minimum!). Why you so expensive, dragon? Why.

Alternatively, I could have GK cough up 1pp and scrape 4pp off her build. Not a whole lot of fat left, though. Something to ponder.

EDIT: Also, note to self: Permanent is a flaw, not an extra, on Growth. Double-check your math there; that should give you 8pp or so to mess with and fill in gaps in the sheet, including the Continuous thing.

• 11 months later...
Character Name: ?Dragonfly? (E-CBM)
Power Level: 8 (180/180)
Trade-Offs: +4 Attack/-4 Damage (unarmed), +3 Defense/-3 Toughness

In Brief: What if Mara got raised by her mother?

Alternate Identities: Mara
Birthplace:
Affiliations:
Family: Mother, Father (estranged)

Ethnicity: Caucasian
Height: 5'8"
Weight:
Eyes: dark blue
Hair: dirty blonde

Description:

Power Descriptions:

History:

Powers & Tactics:

Complications:
Hiding from the Hollow Man: Mara's father and mother have...disagreements on how she should have been raised. He holds a hell of a grudge.
Just Can't Help Myself: Mara enjoys messing with people she thinks are too uptight for their own good.
Secret: Identity
Soft-Hearted Mara sticks to an old-school thieves' code (don't steal from people who can't afford it, etc), and has a bad habit of getting caught up helping those who really need it, like kids and homeless animals.
Thief! Mara's stolen a bunch of things from a bunch of people. Not only does she have a severe allergy to law enforcement, most of these people would like those things back.

Abilities: 4 + 8 + 6 + 10 + 4 + 6 = 38pp
Strength: 14 (+2)
Dexterity: 18 (+4)
Constitution: 16 (+3)
Intelligence: 20 (+5)
Wisdom: 14 (+2)

Combat: 16 + 8 = 24pp
Initiative: +8
Attack: +8 (+12 unarmed)
Grapple: +14
Defense: +11 (+4, +7 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed
Knockback: -1/-2

Saving Throws: 3 + 4 + 6 = 13pp
Toughness: +3/+5
Fortitude: +6 (+3 Con, +3)
Reflex: +8 (+4 Dex, +4)
Will: +7 (6, +1 Wis)

Skills: 164r = 41pp
Acrobatics 12 (+16)
Bluff 10 (+13)
Climb 8 (+10)
Computers 7 (+12)
Craft [Mechanical] 10 (+15)
Craft [Electronic] 10 (+15)
Disable Device 12 (+17)
Disguise 2 (+5)
Drive 6 (+10)
Escape Artist 13 (+17)
Knowledge [Art] 5 (+10)
Knowledge [Current Events] 3 (+8)
Knowledge [Popular Culture] 2 (+7)
Knowledge [streetwise] 5 (+10)
Knowledge [Technology] 5 (+10)
Language 3 [English (native), French, Russian, Japanese]
Notice 10 (+12)
Perform 7 (+10)
Search 5 (+10)
Sense Motive 6 (+8)
Sleight of Hand 10 (+14)
Stealth 13 (+17)

Feats: 22pp
Acrobatic Bluff
Ambidexterity
Attack Specialization 2 (unarmed)
Dodge Focus 7
Eidetic Memory
Equipment 5
Evasion
Fast Acrobatic Bluff
Luck
Master Plan
Move-By Attack

Tools of the Trade
1+1+2+6+3+5+2= 20ep

Concealable Microphone [1ep]

Multi-Tool [1ep]

Masterwork Lockpicks [2ep]

Obscure 3 (visual) [6ep] (smoke grenade)

Protection 2 (Feat: Subtle) [3ep] (light armored catsuit)

Super-Movement 2 (Slow Fall, Swinging) + Speed 1 (100'/move action) [4+1= 5ep]

Video Camera [2ep]

Powers: 4+2+2+13+21= 42pp

Comprehend 2 (Understand/Speak to Electronics) [4pp]

Datalink 2 (100' range) [2pp]

Mental Quickness 4 (x25) [2pp]

Device 3 (15pp Device; Flaws: Hard-to-Lose; Feats: Restricted (Datalink)) [13pp]
A pair of high-tech goggles.
Communication 4 (radio, 1 mile; Feats: Subtle) [5pp]

Super-Senses 5 (Darkvision, Infravision, Ultravision, Radio [+Accurate, Uncanny Dodge], Time Sense) [9pp]

Device 5 (25pp Device; Flaws: Hard-to-Lose; Feats: Subtle) [21 pp]
A matched set of high-tech gloves and boots.
Damage 2 (Feats: Mighty) [3pp] (physical)

Super-Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling 2) [4pp]

Array 8 (16pp array; Feats: Alternate Power 2) [18pp][array]
AP: Damage 8 [16/16] (electric palm)

AP: Stun 8 [16/16] (taser hand)

AP: Dazzle 8 (Visual; Extras: Area (Cone), Flaws: Range [Touch]) [16/16] (arc flash)

Drawbacks: -0pp
None

DC Block:
ATTACK                 RANGE                           SAVE                        EFFECT
unarmed                touch                           DC17 Toughness              damage (physical)
  +- w/ gloves/boots   touch                           DC19 Toughness              damage (physical)
electric palm          touch                           DC23 Toughness              damage (electric)
stun                   touch                           DC18 Fortitude              stun
dazzle                 touch/cone                      DC18 Reflex                 blind
                                                       DC18 Fortitude, +1/round      +-- recover

Abilities (38) + Combat (24) + Saving Throws (13) + Skills (41) + Feats (22) + Powers (42) - Drawbacks (0) = 180 Power Points

So, what if there was a universe where Mara's mother raised her instead of her father? It's one of those weird little ideas you have where the idea doesn't go away; it sits in the back of your head until you do something with it. This one grew and grew until I had the character properly fleshed out, and here she is...or, at least, version 1.0 of her. She's built on a PL12's budget, which bothers me a little but not enough to do anything about that right now. So many things she needs! All the things.

She's an interesting contrast to Mara!Prime - she isn't as smart, she isn't as well-equipped, and she doesn't have the same insane crafting abilities. On the other hand, she's taller, probably more attractive, she's in better shape, and has a completely different set of specialized skills (including social skills!). Her datalink is at least a little bit better, too. She still likes to tinker - and she's good at it, she makes all her own toys! - but it's just an interest, not the interest. This Mara isn't a mad engineer, she's just a very smart gadgeteering cat burglar.

Personality-wise, who she is depends a lot on what she's wearing. (No, really. Not like- oh, shut up. Not like that.) In her civvies she's probably a little withdrawn - she doesn't have Mara's Fearless, and she still doesn't like crowds or hostile people much, so she keeps to herself and lacks a little bit of self confidence; in her catsuit, mask, and goggles, she feels anonymous and it frees her up to be a little more fun-loving and sassy (with a penchant for flirting shamelessly with attractive heroines, partly for the fun of it and partly because she just doesn't get much of a chance to off the job). Think Peter Parker vs. Spider-Man, almost - she puts on the mask and becomes who she wants to be, an ideal version of herself, and over time that'll be who she really is.

She steals because it's fun, and because she thinks that there are people who just don't appreciate the value of what they have. She really likes art, she likes high-tech gizmos and widgits and doodads; her upbringing and personal moral code have given her a whole lot of disdain for honorless jerks and petty crime bosses and the like. They clearly won't appreciate that priceless statue like she or a good buyer could. Surely they won't miss it. (Or, at least, won't miss it in time!) Besides, she likes her creature comforts and personal projects; these things don't pay for themselves!

She isn't perfectly optimized and there are a few holes in her abilities (or a few things that she could really use), which is partly the constraints of the budget and partly me giving her room to grow. E-CBM!Mara isn't supposed to be the world's greatest thief, she's just a really, really good one with some special tools who's just starting to come into her own. I figure as she progressed she'd pick up at least two power levels, a rank or so of Gadgets, a fancy motorcyle, and some improvements to her tools and skills. Some of these changes would just represent her getting better, and some would represent her shifting focus a bit - as she ran into more and more high-powered threats (villains and other heroes, say) she'd have to focus a little more on combat and being able to adapt quickly to new threats.
  • 1 year later...

Scratchpad time!

So, Dragonfly hasn't gotten edits in...two and a half years now. Eheh.

It's also become increasingly clear that she's...not so hot in combat, as her only real options are (1) pocket folks, (2) straight-up Damage them, and (3) try to Stun them, which traditionally hasn't gone well for most fights. Which sucks. At the very least, more options wouldn't hurt - describing the same blast over and over and over in some fights has gotten kinda boring.

I've also wanted to give her some drones for a while, as she has a history of (non-combat) drone creation and it seems right up her alley...plus it helps distinguish her from other battlesuits. I was going to do this with actual Minions, but there are...logistical problems. Rolling a billion times is boring and ultimately more work for me and the GM. Breaking the action economy is probably not honorable, either...and it'd let you do really, really cheap things like stack a bunch of Aid actions onto one of her attacks, which is not kosher. It's something I'd do if I was playing a game with some really hardcore min/maxing, but it isn't something I want to do here.

So, the other option is our board-favorite practice of modelling things with other powers! Instead of having actual drone 'characters', model the effects and hand-wave the rest. There are still problems here, mind (enemies can't really attack something that doesn't mechanically exist, for instance!), but the problems are less uncomfortable and the handwaving less frantic.

Expensive, though. So very expensive. I thought about what I'd want her drones to do, mechanically and thematically, and as a first draft it came out a little something like this:

Drone Container 9.6 (48pp container) [48pp]

Drone Array 18 (36pp array; Feats: Accurate 3, Alternate Power 3) [42pp]

Blast 12 (Extra: Autofire; Feats: Homing, Indirect 3, Split Attack) [40pp] (edit: whoops, doesn't actually fit in the array. Not going to fix this right now.)

ESP 6 (Auditory, Visual, 5 miles; Feats: Rapid 1 [10x search speed]; Extras: Simultaneous, Action [Free]; Flaws: Limited [reachable by air drone]) [25pp], Communication 6 (Auditory, 5 miles; Flaws: Limited [reachable by air drone]) [3pp], Move Object 2 (STR 10; Extras: Action [Move], Range [Perception]) [8pp] (edit: aaand the distance on Communication here is wrong, meaning this power's actually 1pp too expensive. Stupid combo powers.)

Dazzle 12 (Visual; Extra: Linked [Nauseate]) [24pp] + Nauseate 12 (Extras: Linked [Dazzle], Range [Ranged], Flaws: Sense-Dependent [Visual], Limited [sicken]) [12pp]

Snare 12 (Feats: Reversible, Tether; Extras: Regenerating) [36pp]

Super-Senses 2 (Radius [All Visual Senses]) [2pp]

Illusion 1 (Auditory, Visual; Extras: Duration [sustained, free action to maintain]) [4pp]

So she'd have a reasonably nasty beamspam attack that can attack from anywhere and will try again if you dodge the first time.

A utility set that'd let her observe distant spots and search wide areas (it maths out to about 5 minutes to search a 5-mile-radius area, which is kind of nuts, actually), she can talk through drones in that area, and she can move relatively light objects in that area (by sacrificing a move action; presumably the drones aren't very good at manipulating arbitrary objects as they fly).

A somewhat nasty dazzle + nauseate to neutralize enemies; area would be nice on this one, but single-target will do and is a little less mean. Area is expensive, anyway!

A decent few-frills snare.

All-round vision.

An illusion power that's almost pure flavor; at most it'll let other people see what she sees through drones, or help with planning. Largely just for fun, and not very convincing when put under scrutiny, since it's just a drone playing projector.

A couple things to note here:

• The Limited flaw on the ESP powers ('reachable by drone') is not in any way vetted out. I find it fairly reasonable (drone travel time is abstracted/a complication, but the ESP could be defeated by a locked door or some rubble), but I haven't run it past anyone yet.
  • Having two arrays that contain powers requiring standard actions is...less than optimal. This would not replace her (amusingly smaller) main suit array, it'd just be a second container inside her suit device. Having both attacks up would still only let her use one per round, meaning that only the ESP setting gives her something she couldn't have better by just rolling all these pp into her main suit array and doing it there.
  • No, seriously. HORRIBLE POWER POINT ECONOMY. Just the worst.
This also ends up being fairly expensive. Even inside a device, it's 48pp in cost, leaving her 2 in-device points and 9 out-of-device points to spend on...everything else. Best case, I could cash in my unspent vet award to buy back the pp invested in Equipment, giving her 14pp on everything else. That's not very many pp! If I had to cut things, Snare would be first on the chopping block; it's the weakest of the presented powers, thematically and mechanically (and I already have at least one hero who snares, and snares better, so that's not as fun). Even then it'd only free up 3pp in the suit and 14pp elsewhere to try to give Dragonfly a 1PL boost and fill in more skills/INT/CHA/etc. Hrrm.

EDIT: Yes, yes. The clear alternative, and what I was more or less alluding to above, would be to fold some or all of this into the main suit offensive array, which'd save a whole boatload of points. Stuff like ESP and Communication could be pulled out, possibly at higher ranks, for a pretty decent net win on the final math and no real harm to the action economy.

It'd be a lot less clean, but cheaper and less silly. It's something I'm considering. Powers were left in their own container here as a first preference and just so it'd be easier to build them out and decide what I wanted out of them in the first place.

For the sake of my own comparison, here's an extremely rough draft of what it'd look like if I folded the drones into her main array:

Offensive Array 20 (40pp array; Feats: Accurate 3, Alternate Power 6) [49pp]

BP: Blast 12 (Extras: Secondary Effect) [36/40pp] (spatial blast)

AP: Blast 12 (Extras: Autofire 1; Feats: Homing, Indirect 2, Split Attack) [40/40pp] (drone beamspam) [drone]

AP: Strike 12 (Extras: Penetrating [DMG 24]) [24/40pp] (spatial blade)

AP: Stun 12 [24/40pp] (taser hand)

AP: Dazzle 12 (Visual; Extras: Linked [Nauseate]) + Nauseate 12 (Extras: Linked [Dazzle], Range [Ranged], Flaws: Sense-Dependent [Visual], Limited [sicken]) [24+12= 36/40pp] [drone]

AP: Dimensional Pocket 12 (Feats: Progression [Cargo] 1, Quick Change) [26/40pp]

AP:

ESP 6 (Auditory, Visual, 20 mile range; Extras: Simultaneous, Action [Free]; Flaws: Limited [reachable by air drone]; Feats: Rapid 1 [10x search speed]) [drone]

Communication 6 (Auditory, 20 mile; Flaws: Limited [reachable by air drone]) [drone]

Move Object 2 (STR 10; Extras: Action [Move], Range [Perception]) [25+3+8= 36/40pp] [drone]

Super-Senses 2 (Radius [All Visual Senses]) [2pp] [drone]

Illusion 1 (Auditory, Visual; Extras: Duration [sustained, free action to maintain]) [4pp] [drone]

Total cost: 55pp inside the suit device.

Net cost: 26pp inside the suit device, after removing the current spatial array.

Prospective budget remaining: 22pp outside device & 4pp inside, or 27pp & 4pp if redeeming award for equipment points.

So, far and away mathematically superior, and potentially beefs up her standard powers besides. Loses something major in the cleanliness, though...it also doesn't use the array space very efficiently, as the blast powers are more expensive than the rest of the array. Could whittle the autofire blast down or pack stuff in there (maybe put Drain Tou on the blade to make it especially nasty), but seeing as they're already only 1pp per power I'm not that worried about it.

There is at least one downside, which is that she can't take advantage of ESP/Communication/Move Object while in combat, which probably doesn't matter but kinda sucks; trying to have that outside the array, even at lower ranks (~1 mile, STR 5) ends up costing a lot (-1pp from dropping the AP, +23pp for the total lower-ranked powers; total cost 76, net cost 47 inside device, remaining budget 6pp outside and etc etc etc).

I could drop the range even further, but because of the current build of the power I'd have to do it two ranks at a time, which'd mean going from 1 mile to 100 feet, which...isn't a lot. Still, that'd only be 13pp, which'd be a net total cost of 38pp in the device (leaving 14pp and 2 device pp for everything else). Doable, I guess. Not ideal.

Alright, so, broader Dragonfly edits. Rough sheet follows; haven't double-checked all the math, but it should be mostly correct.

gallery_517_7_24236.png

Character Name: Dragonfly

Power Level: 14 (12) (233/233pp)

Trade-Offs: +2 Defense / -2 Toughness

Progress to Impervium Status: 123/150

In Brief: Bitter young genius out to apply her mind on her terms, and no one else's.

Alternate Identity: Mara Hallomen

Birthplace: France (Dual-Citizenship, French/American)

Affiliations: Ironclad, Jill O'Cure, The Lab

Family: Alexander "Hollow Man" Hallomen (Father)

Height: 5'5"

Weight: ~110lbs, ~160lbs in armor

Eyes: Dark Blue

Hair: Dirty-Blonde

Description: On the short side, slim and modestly proportioned but not exactly muscular, Mara tends to take just enough care of herself to maintain her shape and stay alive, but not much else. She nearly always looks a little strung-out, hair disheveled and eyes tired, like she doesn't sleep well (which she doesn't) or spends long stretches distracted by some project or idea to the neglect of all else (which she does). Her clothing is simple, practical, and subdued in color (shades of gray and black being popular, dark reds, blues, and purples being runners-up). Makeup is practically a foreign concept.

Her power suit is built to be sleek and afford her full range of motion, colored in greys and gunmetal blacks with neon blue highlights. The gauntlets are, relative to the rest of the outfit, bulkier and have plating that can shift and rearrange for the task at hand, including deploying a number of small tools; the back of the suit carries a smooth backpack-like piece that extends four short articulated nodes to generate and control her wings in flight. Various parts of the suit, most notably the helmet, can be commanded to pull back or fold away for convenience.

When not in use the suit is exchanged with a heavy, flexible metal choker that rests at the base of the user's neck; it has no visible clasp and does not look terribly valuable, being made of non-precious metal and what little detail there is being quite obviously glass.

Power Descriptions: When Dragonfly's Datalink is active small lights 'dance' behind her eyes; this effect is not very bright, but is highly piercing (being subtly noticeable even through her helmet's lenses, which are otherwise not outwardly transparent). Failed attempts to penetrate her Mental Immunity are met with psychic "static," resistance, and unintelligible echoes of her multiple running thoughts.

Her technology-based spatial effects typically manifest as shifting, churning distortions or fragmented space. Some effects are tinted the same distinct neon blue her suit (especially at the gauntlets) emits at the seams and glasswork when charged. In flight the suit creates four thin wings of that same neon blue-tinted energy which leave a soft trail behind her: they are insubstantial to the touch, if tingly, and designed to look like stylized and blade-like dragonfly wings (though they do not flap, but can and do adjust position for in-flight control).

She can call up a number of small drones for a variety of purposes; each is a bit smaller than a football, with one end flattened into a 'face' dominated entirely by a single large eye capable of projecting images and high-energy lasers. Though they lack grasping limbs, they can carry light loads by way of the same gravity manipulators that let them fly.

History: In certain parts of the underworld you don't buy or sell weapons without knowing the name Hallomen. Word is that for the right price he can get you anything: designer drugs like Max or Zoom, the very latest in illegal technology, and even, once in a rare while – if you can afford it – gadgets from caught supervillains that got 'lost' on their way to the incinerators or science labs. From the back alleys to high-class black market auctions, he supplies whole armies if the price is right and by luck, bribes, and exceptional planning he never seems to get caught; those who've dealt with him jokingly call him the “Hollow Man†(through rarely to his face) in honor of how the police raid into his storehouses and labs to find empty – 'hollow' – rooms. What customers only very rarely know is where most of the new and custom items came from.

Hallomen is a cold and ruthless man but a man none the less, and around the turn of the 20th century had a short tryst with a villainess and frequent buyer. He was completely uninterested in the child she bore (what use did he have for a wailing, disgusting baby?) until several years later, when he got word that the child was displaying superhuman traits – signs of high intelligence (for a child of that age) and her mother's ability to control computers by thought alone. Now and only now was the girl useful to him and when the mother was killed (something he calmly claims he had nothing to do with, of course) the daughter fell into his care.

Little Mara Hallomen was indeed predicted to be brilliant when she grew older but that simply wouldn't be enough (or soon enough) for the Hollow Man – no, anything good can be made better. He invested considerable resources into her 'education', and so it was that young Mara grew up all but alone in a barely-staffed lab, under a constant regimen of 'vitamins' and 'medicine', supplied with a never-ending stream of knowledge and information; her only human contact was a rare visit from her father, a scant few researchers or guards, and the occasional empath or psychic paid to enhance her mind in ways conventional science could not. Even this was cold comfort, however, as anyone who set foot in the building was under strict orders not to talk to Mara unless absolutely necessary so she could concentrate on her real purpose: designing new and improved tools of crime. From death rays to personal teleporters to battlesuits, she made them all. Old-school and cutting-edge, energy to gravity to good old bullets, she designed a veritable panoply and Hallomen made money hand over fist.

Kept docile, driven, and borderline insane as an intended side-effect of her constant "health treatments," the only thing her father could never have predicted was the net effect it was taking on her mind: redundant and parallel in some places, warped and enhanced in others, bit by bit her brain was growing resistant to outside influence. The older she got the more treatment she underwent and the more treatment she underwent the more resistant she became; the more resistant she became the more disquieting her life seemed. Finally, near her 18th birthday, she was resting in what passed for her private room when a lone dragonfly wandered its way through the barred window and caught her eye. To anyone else it wouldn't even have been a remarkable specimen of a dragonfly, but to her the darting little bug was the most beautiful thing in the world: free. Then and there she made up her mind to be as free as the dragonfly was: to escape and feel the wind under her metaphorical wings.

Less than a month later, the guards came to wake her and found the room empty, the majority of her research and designs completely destroyed, and a very large sum vanished from her father's own personal bank account. She's managed to stay a step ahead of her father and his goons ever since, figuring Freedom City and its relatively high hero count to be the perfect place to hide out…and test some new designs on her own terms.

Personality & Motivation: Mara's more than a little bitter about not having had much of a childhood, and not amazingly socially skilled (which she typically deals with using snark and mistrust). When presented with a puzzle or new idea to build she's energized and almost manic as her brain kicks into gear to solve the task at hand. She's very intelligent and highly rational, but a combination of chronic bad sleep and frequent headaches (both side-effects of her altered brain and assorted substances that are even now still washing out of her system) can make her snide and irate (though continuing social exposure and her ongoing relationship are alleviating many of these problems).

Given her life so far, she has a fairly intense dislike of criminals. She's softer at heart than she'd ever admit, having an especially strong drive to aid children, but by and large she's more driven by the victimizers than their victims. It's occurred to her that she could accomplish many of her goals by villainy (at the very least as the sort of villain who hunts other villains as often as they break the law), but believes heroism's just more rational – being strictly on the hero side of things provides more advantages than disadvantages...not to mention helps her sleep a little easier, particularly if she gets her own creations off the streets.

Powers & Tactics: Mara dabbles in many areas of technology but most of her combat tech is based on spatial distortions, something she developed under her father's thumb but didn't work the kinks out of until she'd escaped. Her devices, her gauntlets especially, are built to warp and fold space to provide any number of effects. Her Datalink power she finds useful, but more for utility than combat; her mind's resistance to outside influence is something she tries to keep well-hidden as her ace in the hole against manipulation.

When given half a chance she plans her battles quickly and efficiently, well aware that she relies on her devices and that those devices have limits. Against an obviously inferior foe she might be careless, but against anything or anyone challenging she is methodical and deliberate, striking when she'll have the upper hand and analyzing the situation for any advantage.

Complications:

Drones: Powers with the 'drone' descriptor only function when Dragonfly can deploy and command her drones. She has a decent but not inexhaustible stock to call up, and if her radio communication to them is cut off they are left with only their most recent instructions and a dog-like AI - which only tells them to finish their current task (to the best of their now-reduced ability) and then return to safety.

Enemy: The Hollow Man. When she left she dealt a huge (if sadly not crippling) blow to her father's business, not to mention the very large sum of money she took with her. He wants her back, preferably in good condition, though the longer he has to pretend that the key to his most popular items hasn't vanished the more and more flexible he gets as long as she's alive and her head's in one piece.

Hatred: People taking advantage of or endangering children, anyone using the creations she thought up, and to a lesser extent organized crime or high-end weapons dealers.

HUD: The power suit device communicates most of its Super-Sense powers through Dragonfly's normal senses, and thus may be lost to the appropriate dazzle or similar sense-impairing attack (eg, all visual senses and Uncanny Dodge are lost when visually dazzled; radio signals cannot be 'heard' if deaf; etc).

Legacy: Against her best efforts, some of her creations are still being made here and there, and there are still quite a number of older designs floating around through the underworld. Anyone savvy enough, or connected enough, can link this (often quite lethal or empowering) technology to her.

Relationship: With >Jill O'Cure.

Responsibility: Mara now owns and runs Hallomen Advanced Experts (HAX), and is responsible for being the boss and keeping the place going and its people employed, not to mention protecting the rather valuable projects and secrets therein.

Side-Effects: Powerful depressants and some other compounds (like Zombie Powder) react badly with chemicals and conditioning still in Dragonfly's system; depending on the dosage used she'll range from being slightly neurotic (as her sense of identity fights the old conditioning) up to complete if temporary regression to a happy and disturbing little worker bee that almost mindlessly devours any technical projects put in front of her.

Suit Lite: Dragonfly's suit, while in choker form, is severely limited in what it can do - generally speaking, it's capable only of the Dimensional Pocket, Force Field, Shield, and Teleport powers. The device is, of course, only Subtle when in choker form and not actively being used.

Abilities: 2 + 4 + 2 + 20 + 2 + 4 = 34PP

Strength: 12 (+1)

Dexterity: 14 (+2)

Constitution: 12 (+1)

Intelligence: 30 (+10)

Combat: 12 + 12 = 24PP

Initiative: +10

Attack: +6, +12 Suit Offense

Grapple: +7 / +11 Super-Strength

Defense: +14/+6 (+6 Base, +8 Shield), +3 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -7/-2/-0 (full defense / force field only / base)

Saving Throws: 9 + 7 + 12 = 28PP

Toughness: +10/+1 (+1 Con, +5 Protection [impervious 5], +4 Force Field)

Fortitude: +9 (+1 Con, +8)

Reflex: +9 (+2 Dex, +7)

Will: +13 (+1 Wis, +12)

Skills: 92R = 23PP

Computers 10 (+20)SM

Concentration 4 (+5)

Craft (Electronic) 13 (+23)SM

Craft (Mechanical) 13 (+23)SM

Disable Device 8 (+18)

Knowledge (Physical Sciences) 10 (+20)

Knowledge (Technology) 8 (+18)

Languages 4 (English [Native], French, Japanese, Russian, Spanish)

Notice 4 (+5)SM

Perform (Stringed Instruments) 9 (+10, +12 Masterwork Instruments)

Sense Motive 9 (+10)

Feats: 17PP

All-Out Attack

Ambidexterity

Eidetic Memory

Equipment 5 (25EP)

Fearless

Inventor

Luck 2

Master Plan

Online Research

Power Attack

Skill Mastery (Computers, Craft [Electronic], Craft [Mechanical], Notice)

Speed of Thought

Equipment: 5PP = 25EP

1 + 1 + 1 + 5 + 16 + 1 = 25EP

Masterwork Double Bass [1EP]

Masterwork Violin [1EP]

Multitool [1EP]

>The Lab (HQ) [5EP]

The Warehouse (PL10 HQ) [1 + 1 + 14 = 16EP]

An outwardly-unremarkable warehouse tucked away in Greenbank, no local gangs or criminals seem to want to talk about it. Funny, that....

Size: Medium [1EP]

Toughness: +10 [1EP]

Features: [14EP]

Concealed (+10 DC)

Computer

Defense System (Blast 12)

Fire Prevention System

Garage

Laboratory

Library

Living Space

Power (Communication Link [Dragonfly's suit])

Power System

Security System 3 (DC30)

Workshop

Alternate HQ [1EP]

Hallomen Advanced Experts [2 + 1 + 13 = 16EP]

A solid, simple lab building in the North End that houses one of Freedom City's newest up-and-coming technology consultant groups, with a little something extra hidden in a sub-basement that's not on the building plans....

Size: Huge [2EP]

Features: [13EP]

Concealed (+10 DC)

Computer

Cover Facility

Fire Prevention System

Laboratory

Library

Personnel

Power System

Security System 3 (DC30)

Workshop

Powers: 9 + 2 + 98 = 107PP

Altered Brain 1.6 (8PP Container [Passive, Permanent], Feats: Innate) [9PP]

Immunity 10 (Mental Effects, Flaws: Limited [1/2 Effect]) [5PP]

Quickness 6 (x100, Flaws: Limited [Mental Tasks]) [3PP]

Datalink 2 (Mental, 100ft) [2PP] (Mutation)

Device 24 (120PP Container, Flaws: Hard-To-Lose, Feats: Restricted [Datalink], Subtle) [98PP] (Powersuit, Technology)

A high-tech armored suit capable of warping space to various effects. It requires Datalink to be properly piloted.

When not in use it exchanges (via spatial technology and Quick Change) with a solid-looking metal choker that rests at the base of the wearer's neck.

Auxiliary Power Array 5 (10PP Array; Feats: Dynamic Base Power, Dynamic Alternate Power) [13PP]

BP (Dynamic): Flight 5 (250mph / 1,000ft per Move Action) [8PP] (Auxiliary Power Allocation: Flight)

AP (Dynamic): Super-Strength 5 (STR 35 [Heavy Load: 1.5 tons]) [8PP] (Auxiliary Power Allocation: Strength)

Communication 5 (radio, 5 mile range; Feats: Subtle) [6PP]

Features 1 (Improvised Tools) [1PP]

Force Field 4 (Feats: Selective) [5PP] (spatial control)

Illusion 1 (Auditory, Visual, 5' radius; Extras: Duration [sustained, free action to maintain]) [4pp] (drone projection)

Immunity 9 (Life Support) [9PP]

Primary Array 20 (40pp array; Feats: Accurate 3, Alternate Power 6, Precise) [50pp]

BP: Blast 12 (Extras: Secondary Effect) [36/40pp] (spatial blast)

AP: Blast 12 (Extras: Autofire 1; Feats: Homing, Indirect 2, Split Attack) [40/40pp] (drone beamspam)

AP: Drain Toughness 12 (Extras: Linked ) + Strike 12 (Extras: Penetrating 12 [DMG 24]) [12+24= 36/40pp] (spatial blade)

AP: Stun 12 [24/40pp] (taser hand)

AP: Dazzle 12 (Visual; Extras: Linked [Nauseate]) + Nauseate 12 (Extras: Linked [Dazzle], Range [Ranged]; Flaws: Sense-Dependent [Visual], Limited [sicken]) [24+12= 36/40pp] (drone strobe)

AP: Dimensional Pocket 12 (1250 tons; Feats: Progression [Cargo] 2, Quick Change) [27/40pp]

AP:

ESP 6 (Auditory, Visual, 20 mile range; Extras: Simultaneous, Action [Free]; Flaws: Limited [reachable by air drone]; Feats: Rapid 1 [10x search speed])

Communication 6 (Auditory, 20 mile range; Flaws: limited [reachable by air drone])

Move Object 2 (STR 10; Extras: Action [Move], Range [Perception]) [25+3+8= 36/40pp] (drone search & rescue)

Protection 5 (Extras: Impervious) [10PP] (Armor Plating)

Shield 8 (Feats: Evasion 2) [10PP] (Spatial Control)

Super-Senses 6 (Analytical Visual Senses, Communication Link [warehouse HQ], Direction Sense, Infravision, Spatial Awareness [visual], Uncanny Dodge [Radio]) [7PP]

Super-Senses 2 (Radius [All Visual]) [2pp] (drone feed)

Teleport 1 (100ft per Move Action, Feats: Turnabout) [3PP] (Spatial Control)

DC Block:

ATTACK               RANGE    SAVE                               EFFECT
Unarmed              Touch    DC16 Toughness (Staged)            Damage (Physical)
Dimensional Pocket   Touch    DC22 Reflex                        Trapped
                              DC20 Will (+1 per round)           (escape)
Drone Blast          Ranged   DC27+autofire Toughness (Staged)   Damaged (Energy)
Drone Strobe         Ranged   DC22 Reflex                        Blind
                             +DC22 Fortitude                     Sickened
                              DC22 Fortitude                     (recover)
Spatial Blade        Touch    DC22 Fortitude (Staged)            Drain Toughness (22 - roll pp)
                              DC27 Toughness (Staged)            Damage (Energy)
Spatial Blast        Ranged   DC27 Toughness (Staged)            Damage (Energy)
Taser Hand           Touch    DC22 Fortitude (Staged)            Dazed/Stunned/Unconscious
Abilities (34) + Combat (24) + Saving Throws (28) + Skills (23) + Feats (17) + Powers (107) - Drawbacks (0) = 233/233 Power Points

So! That build's...a bit more combat-worthy. And by 'a bit' I mean 'possibly overkill'. Not invincible, though; she has the same problems anybody who defense-shifts has, and she has no way to exploit will saves (and, in general, leans pretty heavily on fort and toughness to take enemies out in any lasting way; Dragonfly's worst enemy is a paragon or brick).

A couple things here haven't been accounted for:

- There are only two of us trying to keep The Lab afloat these days. If we want to keep doing so, Dragonfly'll have to sink a fair number of points into it. It's a 25ep structure and Miss A's kicking in 5ep, meaning Mara would have to kick in another 20 to keep it as a proper headquarters (barring further contributions from Miss A, who does have a few pp to spare). Alternatively, we could let it fade into the background...or sink her contribution in as an AP off her headquarter 'array'. These would be doable, but I'd have to either steal points from elsewhere or eat a vet award; need to talk to Electra.

- I really wanted to give Mara some more skills, and - maybe - a little more Charisma. The latter's less important, as this build already gave her a boost, but the skills are things I really want. If I hold off on edits until July's counts are done, though, I should have 2-3pp to work with there...might actually drop int down to 28, rather than the full 30, too; she can wait for that last +1. Could put those pp into skills or charisma.

Below is a formatted, easier-to-review version of the edits I'm putting in. For ease of reference!

gallery_517_7_24236.png

Character Name: Dragonfly

Power Level: 14 (12) (233/233pp)

Trade-Offs: +2 Defense / -2 Toughness

Progress to Impervium Status: 123/150

In Brief: Bitter young genius out to apply her mind on her terms, and no one else's.

Alternate Identity: Mara Hallomen

Birthplace: France (Dual-Citizenship, French/American)

Affiliations: Ironclad, Jill O'Cure, The Lab

Family: Alexander "Hollow Man" Hallomen (Father)

Height: 5'5"

Weight: ~110lbs, ~160lbs in armor

Eyes: Dark Blue

Hair: Dirty-Blonde

Description: On the short side, slim and modestly proportioned but not exactly muscular, Mara tends to take just enough care of herself to maintain her shape and stay alive, but not much else. She nearly always looks a little strung-out, hair disheveled and eyes tired, like she doesn't sleep well (which she doesn't) or spends long stretches distracted by some project or idea to the neglect of all else (which she does). Her clothing is simple, practical, and subdued in color (shades of gray and black being popular, dark reds, blues, and purples being runners-up). Make-up is practically a foreign concept.

Her power suit is built to be sleek and afford her full range of motion, colored in greys and gunmetal blacks with neon blue highlights. The gauntlets are, relative to the rest of the outfit, bulkier and have plating that can shift and rearrange for the task at hand, including deploying a number of small tools; the back of the suit carries a smooth backpack-like piece that extends four short articulated nodes to generate and control her wings in flight. Various parts of the suit, most notably the helmet, can be commanded to pull back or fold away for convenience.

When not in use the suit is exchanged with a heavy, flexible metal choker that rests at the base of the user's neck; it has no visible clasp and does not look terribly valuable, being made of non-precious metal and what little detail there is being quite obviously glass.

Power Descriptions: When Dragonfly's Datalink is active small lights 'dance' behind her eyes; this effect is not very bright, but is highly piercing (being subtly noticeable even through her helmet's lenses, which are otherwise not outwardly transparent). Failed attempts to penetrate her Mental Immunity are met with psychic "static," resistance, and unintelligible echoes of her multiple running thoughts.

Her technology-based spatial effects typically manifest as shifting, churning distortions or fragmented space. Some effects are tinted the same distinct neon blue her suit (especially at the gauntlets) emits at the seams and glasswork when charged. In flight the suit creates four thin wings of that same neon blue-tinted energy which leave a soft trail behind her: they are insubstantial to the touch, if tingly, and designed to look like stylized and blade-like dragonfly wings (though they do not flap, but can and do adjust position for in-flight control).

She can call up a number of small drones for a variety of purposes; each is a bit smaller than a football, with one end flattened into a 'face' dominated entirely by a single large eye capable of projecting images and high-energy lasers. Though they lack grasping limbs, they can carry light loads by way of the same gravity manipulators that let them fly.

History: In certain parts of the underworld you don't buy or sell weapons without knowing the name Hallomen. Word is that for the right price he can get you anything: designer drugs like Max or Zoom, the very latest in illegal technology, and even, once in a rare while – if you can afford it – gadgets from caught supervillains that got 'lost' on their way to the incinerators or science labs. From the back alleys to high-class black market auctions, he supplies whole armies if the price is right and by luck, bribes, and exceptional planning he never seems to get caught; those who've dealt with him jokingly call him the “Hollow Man†(through rarely to his face) in honor of how the police raid into his storehouses and labs to find empty – 'hollow' – rooms. What customers only very rarely know is where most of the new and custom items came from.

Hallomen is a cold and ruthless man but a man none the less, and around the turn of the 20th century had a short tryst with a villainess and frequent buyer. He was completely uninterested in the child she bore (what use did he have for a wailing, disgusting baby?) until several years later, when he got word that the child was displaying superhuman traits – signs of high intelligence (for a child of that age) and her mother's ability to control computers by thought alone. Now and only now was the girl useful to him and when the mother was killed (something he calmly claims he had nothing to do with, of course) the daughter fell into his care.

Little Mara Hallomen was indeed predicted to be brilliant when she grew older but that simply wouldn't be enough (or soon enough) for the Hollow Man – no, anything good can be made better. He invested considerable resources into her 'education', and so it was that young Mara grew up all but alone in a barely-staffed lab, under a constant regimen of 'vitamins' and 'medicine', supplied with a never-ending stream of knowledge and information; her only human contact was a rare visit from her father, a scant few researchers or guards, and the occasional empath or psychic paid to enhance her mind in ways conventional science could not. Even this was cold comfort, however, as anyone who set foot in the building was under strict orders not to talk to Mara unless absolutely necessary so she could concentrate on her real purpose: designing new and improved tools of crime. From death rays to personal teleporters to battlesuits, she made them all. Old-school and cutting-edge, energy to gravity to good old bullets, she designed a veritable panoply and Hallomen made money hand over fist.

Kept docile, driven, and borderline insane as an intended side-effect of her constant "health treatments," the only thing her father could never have predicted was the net effect it was taking on her mind: redundant and parallel in some places, warped and enhanced in others, bit by bit her brain was growing resistant to outside influence. The older she got the more treatment she underwent and the more treatment she underwent the more resistant she became; the more resistant she became the more disquieting her life seemed. Finally, near her 18th birthday, she was resting in what passed for her private room when a lone dragonfly wandered its way through the barred window and caught her eye. To anyone else it wouldn't even have been a remarkable specimen of a dragonfly, but to her the darting little bug was the most beautiful thing in the world: free. Then and there she made up her mind to be as free as the dragonfly was: to escape and feel the wind under her metaphorical wings.

Less than a month later, the guards came to wake her and found the room empty, the majority of her research and designs completely destroyed, and a very large sum vanished from her father's own personal bank account. She's managed to stay a step ahead of her father and his goons ever since, figuring Freedom City and its relatively high hero count to be the perfect place to hide out…and test some new designs on her own terms.

Personality & Motivation: Mara's more than a little bitter about not having had much of a childhood, and not amazingly socially skilled (which she typically deals with using snark and mistrust). When presented with a puzzle or new idea to build she's energized and almost manic as her brain kicks into gear to solve the task at hand. She's very intelligent and highly rational, but a combination of chronic bad sleep and frequent headaches (both side-effects of her altered brain and assorted substances that are even now still washing out of her system) can make her snide and irate (though continuing social exposure and her ongoing relationship are alleviating many of these problems).

Given her life so far, she has a fairly intense dislike of criminals. She's softer at heart than she'd ever admit, having an especially strong drive to aid children, but by and large she's more driven by the victimizers than their victims. It's occurred to her that she could accomplish many of her goals by villainy (at the very least as the sort of villain who hunts other villains as often as they break the law), but believes heroism's just more rational – being strictly on the hero side of things provides more advantages than disadvantages...not to mention helps her sleep a little easier, particularly if she gets her own creations off the streets.

Powers & Tactics: Mara dabbles in many areas of technology but most of her combat tech is based on spatial distortions, something she developed under her father's thumb but didn't work the kinks out of until she'd escaped. Her devices, her gauntlets especially, are built to warp and fold space to provide any number of effects. Her Datalink power she finds useful, but more for utility than combat; her mind's resistance to outside influence is something she tries to keep well-hidden as her ace in the hole against manipulation.

When given half a chance she plans her battles quickly and efficiently, well aware that she relies on her devices and that those devices have limits. Against an obviously inferior foe she might be careless, but against anything or anyone challenging she is methodical and deliberate, striking when she'll have the upper hand and analyzing the situation for any advantage.

Complications:

Drones: Powers with the 'drone' descriptor only function when Dragonfly can deploy and command her drones. She has a decent but not inexhaustible stock to call up, and if her radio communication to them is cut off they are left with only their most recent instructions and a dog-like AI - which only tells them to finish their current task (to the best of their now-reduced ability) and then return to safety.

Enemy: The Hollow Man. When she left she dealt a huge (if sadly not crippling) blow to her father's business, not to mention the very large sum of money she took with her. He wants her back, preferably in good condition, though the longer he has to pretend that the key to his most popular items hasn't vanished the more and more flexible he gets as long as she's alive and her head's in one piece.

Hatred: People taking advantage of or endangering children, anyone using the creations she thought up, and to a lesser extent organized crime or high-end weapons dealers.

HUD: The power suit device communicates most of its Super-Sense powers through Dragonfly's normal senses, and thus may be lost to the appropriate dazzle or similar sense-impairing attack (eg, all visual senses and Uncanny Dodge are lost when visually dazzled; radio signals cannot be 'heard' if deaf; etc).

Legacy: Against her best efforts, some of her creations are still being made here and there, and there are still quite a number of older designs floating around through the underworld. Anyone savvy enough, or connected enough, can link this (often quite lethal or empowering) technology to her.

Relationship: With >Jill O'Cure.

Responsibility: Mara now owns and runs Hallomen Advanced Experts (HAX), and is responsible for being the boss and keeping the place going and its people employed, not to mention protecting the rather valuable projects and secrets therein.

Side-Effects: Powerful depressants and some other compounds (like Zombie Powder) react badly with chemicals and conditioning still in Dragonfly's system; depending on the dosage used she'll range from being slightly neurotic (as her sense of identity fights the old conditioning) up to complete if temporary regression to a happy and disturbing little worker bee that almost mindlessly devours any technical projects put in front of her.

Suit Lite: Dragonfly's suit, while in choker form, is severely limited in what it can do - generally speaking, it's capable only of the Dimensional Pocket, Force Field, Shield, and Teleport powers. The device is, of course, only Subtle when in choker form and not actively being used.

Abilities: 2 + 4 + 2 + 18 + 2 + 4 = 32PP

Strength: 12 (+1)

Constitution: 12 (+1)

Intelligence: 28 (+9)

Combat: 12 + 12 = 24PP

Initiative: +10

Attack: +6, +12 Suit Offense

Grapple: +7 / +11 Super-Strength

Defense: +14/+6 (+6 Base, +8 Shield), +3 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -7/-2/-0 (full defense / force field only / base)

Saving Throws: 8 + 7 + 11 = 26PP

Toughness: +10/+1 (+1 Con, +5 Protection [impervious 5], +4 Force Field)

Fortitude: +9 (+1 Con, +8)

Reflex: +9 (+2 Dex, +7)

Will: +12 (+1 Wis, +11)

Skills: 100R = 25PP

Computers 11 (+20)SM

Concentration 4 (+5)

Craft (Electronic) 15 (+24)SM

Craft (Mechanical) 15 (+24)SM

Disable Device 8 (+17)

Knowledge (Business) 1 (+10)

Knowledge (Physical Sciences) 11 (+20)

Knowledge (Technology) 8 (+17)

Languages 4 (English [Native], French, Japanese, Russian, Spanish)

Notice 4 (+5)SM

Perform (Stringed Instruments) 10 (+11, +13 Masterwork Instruments)

Sense Motive 9 (+10)

Feats: 15PP

Ambidexterity

Benefit (Wealth) 1

Eidetic Memory

Equipment 4 (20EP)

Fearless

Inventor

Luck 2

Master Plan

Online Research

Skill Mastery (Computers, Craft [Electronic], Craft [Mechanical], Notice)

Speed of Thought

Equipment: 5PP = 25EP

1 + 1 + 1 + 16 + 1 = 20EP

Masterwork Double Bass [1EP]

Masterwork Violin [1EP]

Multitool [1EP]

The Warehouse (PL10 HQ) [1 + 1 + 14 = 16EP]

An outwardly-unremarkable warehouse tucked away in Greenbank, no local gangs or criminals seem to want to talk about it. Funny, that....

Size: Medium [1EP]

Features: [14EP]

Concealed (+10 DC)

Computer

Fire Prevention System

Garage

Laboratory

Library

Living Space

Power (Communication Link [Dragonfly's suit])

Power System

Security System 3 (DC30)

Workshop

Alternate HQ [1EP]

Hallomen Advanced Experts [2 + 1 + 13 = 16EP]

A solid, simple lab building in the North End that houses one of Freedom City's newest up-and-coming technology consultant groups, with a little something extra hidden in a sub-basement that's not on the building plans....

Size: Huge [2EP]

Features: [13EP]

Concealed (+10 DC)

Computer

Cover Facility

Fire Prevention System

Laboratory

Library

Personnel

Power System

Security System 3 (DC30)

Workshop

Powers: 9 + 2 + 2 + 98 = 111PP

Altered Brain 1.6 (8PP Container [Passive, Permanent], Feats: Innate) [9PP]

Immunity 10 (Mental Effects, Flaws: Limited [1/2 Effect]) [5PP]

Quickness 6 (x100, Flaws: Limited [Mental Tasks]) [3PP]

Comprehend 1 (Electronics) [2PP] (mutation)

Datalink 2 (Mental, 100ft) [2PP] (mutation)

Device 24 (120PP Container, Flaws: Hard-To-Lose, Feats: Restricted [Datalink], Subtle) [98PP] (powersuit)

A high-tech armored suit capable of warping space to various effects. It requires Datalink to be properly piloted.

When not in use it exchanges (via spatial technology and Quick Change) with a solid-looking metal choker that rests at the base of the wearer's neck.

Auxiliary Power Array 5 (10PP Array; Feats: Dynamic Base Power, Dynamic Alternate Power) [13PP]

BP (Dynamic): Flight 5 (250mph / 1,000ft per Move Action) [8PP]

AP (Dynamic): Super-Strength 5 (STR 35 [Heavy Load: 1.5 tons]) [8PP]

Communication 5 (radio, 5 mile range; Feats: Subtle) [6PP]

Features 1 (Improvised Tools) [1PP]

Force Field 4 (Feats: Selective) [5PP] (spatial control)

Illusion 1 (Auditory, Visual, 5' radius; Extras: Duration [sustained, free action to maintain]) [4PP] (drone projection)

Immunity 9 (Life Support) [9PP]

Primary Array 20 (40pp array; Feats: Accurate 3, Alternate Power 6, Precise) [50PP]

BP: Blast 12 (Extras: Secondary Effect) [36/40PP] (spatial blast)

AP: Blast 12 (Extras: Autofire 1; Feats: Homing, Indirect 2, Split Attack) [40/40PP] (drone beamspam)

AP: Dazzle 12 (Visual; Extras: Linked [Nauseate]) + Nauseate 12 (Extras: Linked [Dazzle], Range [Ranged]; Flaws: Sense-Dependent [Visual], Limited [sicken]) [24+12= 36/40PP] (drone strobe)

AP: Dimensional Pocket 12 (1250 tons; Feats: Progression [Cargo] 2, Quick Change) [27/40PP]

AP: Drain Toughness 12 (Extras: Linked ) + Strike 12 (Extras: Penetrating 12 [DMG 24]) [12+24= 36/40PP] (spatial blade)

AP:

ESP 6 (Auditory, Visual, 20 mile range; Extras: Simultaneous, Action [Free]; Flaws: Limited [reachable by air drone]; Feats: Rapid 1 [10x search speed])

Communication 6 (Auditory, 20 mile range; Flaws: limited [reachable by air drone])

Move Object 2 (STR 10; Extras: Action [Move], Range [Perception]) [25+3+8= 36/40PP] (drone search & rescue)

AP: Stun 12 [24/40PP] (taser hand)

Protection 5 (Extras: Impervious) [10PP] (armor plating)

Shield 8 (Feats: Evasion 2) [10PP] (spatial control)

Super-Senses 6 (Analytical Visual Senses, Communication Link [warehouse HQ], Direction Sense, Infravision, Spatial Awareness [visual], Uncanny Dodge [Radio]) [7PP]

Super-Senses 2 (Radius [All Visual]) [2PP] (drone feed)

Teleport 1 (100ft per Move Action, Feats: Turnabout) [3PP] (spatial control)

DC Block:

ATTACK               RANGE    SAVE                               EFFECT
Unarmed              Touch    DC16 Toughness (Staged)            Damage (Physical)
Dimensional Pocket   Touch    DC22 Reflex                        Trapped
                              DC20 Will (+1 per round)           (escape)
Drone Blast          Ranged   DC27+autofire Toughness (Staged)   Damaged (Energy)
Drone Strobe         Ranged   DC22 Reflex                        Blind
                             +DC22 Fortitude                     Sickened
                              DC22 Fortitude                     (recover)
Spatial Blade        Touch    DC22 Fortitude (Staged)            Drain Toughness (22 - roll pp)
                              DC27 Toughness (Staged)            Damage (Energy)
Spatial Blast        Ranged   DC27 Toughness (Staged)            Damage (Energy)
Taser Hand           Touch    DC22 Fortitude (Staged)            Dazed/Stunned/Unconscious
Abilities (32) + Combat (24) + Saving Throws (26) + Skills (25) + Feats (15) + Powers (111) - Drawbacks (0) = 233/233 Power Points
  • 3 weeks later...

Character Name: Eclipse

Power Level: 10 [12] (180/180PP)

Trade-Offs: +3 Attack / -3 Damage; +5 Defense / -5 Toughness

Progress To Bronze Status:

In Brief: Tried 'good'; tried 'bad'. Took a third option.

Residence: The Horizon.

Alternate Identity: Captain Talisyn "Eclipse" Alar

Identity: Public

Birthplace: Lor space

Affiliations: Horizon crew, Lor military (retired), Khanate pirates (retired)

Family: parents (no contact), sister (little contact)

Description:

Apparent Age: early thirties

Ethnicity: Alarian

Height: 5'10"

Weight: 150lb

Eyes: black sclera & glowing purple irises (artificial)

Hair: black w/ purple bangs

Like all of her people, Talisyn sports dark gray skin, gently pointed ears, a subtly-ridged jawline, and an extra set of canine teeth. Like most, she also has a certain fondness for bi-colored hair and tends toward a lean, flexible build that's more agility than raw muscle. Her species' notable regenerative abilities leave her remarkably free of scars, considering the life she's led.

Somewhat less standard is her extensive cybernetic work - while sporting nothing so crude as the large metal plates and oversized replacement limbs seen in the poorer districts of less civilized space, Talisyn has clearly been on the table once or twice. Whatever her eyes used to look like, they've long-since been replaced with a mechanical pair, glowing purple irises on black sclera; here and there across her body and upper limbs run symmetric lines of chrome, betraying deeper augmentations.

None of those, of course, are more notable than the tail - her spine has clearly been replaced, an interplay of matte metal and skin running down her back until it becomes a narrow, segmented tail longer than she is tall.

Power Descriptions:

The only power Talisyn can truly claim as her own is her species' not-insignificant regenerative powers, which have some difficulty dealing with deeper wounds but takes care of minor damage with speed and efficiency.

Her blaster is a well-worn, but equally well-maintained military-spec weapon, issued mainly to Lor military special operations: twin-barrelled and held close to center-of-mass, it's designed for fast response and a stubborn refusal to compromise between accuracy and close-quarters reliability. It's been heavily customized, linking to Taliysn's eyes for enhanced targeting and alternate fire modes.

The sword, on the other hand, would look new if the grip and scabbard weren't showing their age - resembling a long and only lightly-curved Earth scimitar, the edge shows no signs of wear and the flat of the blade bears a multi-winged design that could have been engraved yesterday.

History:

The Alarian empire was a force to behold...or, so the history books say. Among the first truly great space-faring civilizations seeded by the Precursors, the citizens of Alar developed curious technologies, established bases across the systems under their control...and collapsed. The destruction of their home worlds broke the back of their empire, leaving as memories only undiscovered caches of wonders and a surviving population with neither the numbers nor the knowledge to maintain their hold.

That was all well before Talisyn's time, though - the dawn of modern history. Her people are still scattered, nearly-cultureless, and (by reputation) unable to maintain even basic family units for long - something she did little to disprove. As soon as she was old enough she went into the Lor military force, her personal drive and curiosity pushing her to meet with no small amount of success.

Turns out the Lor military sucks.

A few decades of of her life got her meager pay, a few good contacts, and a couple injuries bad enough that even her regeneration couldn't cope...which in turn got her a run of cybernetic fixes and reinforcements, all in the name of people who either couldn't care less for her or associated her with some high-and-mighty empire from the dusty days of yore. So, screw that - the Stellar Khanate and its supposed barbarians had freedom, resources, and a passion that couldn't be found anywhere in the endless miles of Lor bureaucracy. That'd be the life.

Turns out the Khanate sucks.

'Freedom' was measured by your distance from the nearest would-be warlord with a bigger gun, and pay was only good when taken from soft targets who'd done nothing to draw that kind of attention outside of simply being soft. It took her another couple of decades, her last good eye, and a bad run against what turned out to be a disaster relief convoy to convince Talisyn that the Khanate was as bad or worse than than the armchair generals and two-faced politicians she'd left behind with the Lor.

It was time for a third option. Having acquired a ship of her own and trying not to burn too many bridges (at least, none that weren't delightfully fun to set to the torch), Talisyn set off on her own - no Khans, no commanders, just her, her ship, and whatever misfits she fell in with along the way.

Talisyn values independence above almost anything else - she has a severe dislike for being in debt, and an acquired distaste for taking orders from anyone she doesn't already respect. She recognizes the abstract importance of a larger system of law and government, but has yet to find a specific example that meets her standards - very little grinds her teeth like people suffering under the abuse of the system, or people with no good recourse because the bad guy's better at politics and bribery.

She insists that she's a strictly independent agent looking for profit and fame, but can usually be found on the side of the underdog - the little person in need, the side that stands up against the overpowered bully trying to become the next big thing.

None of which, of course, she'd tell you about if you asked. She is flippant, irreverent, sharp-tongued and cocky. She'll say half of what's actually true in twice as many words, smiling the whole way. Life, she'd insist, is for fun, for enjoying as you can - even when you live as long as she will (unless she gets herself killed first).

Powers & Tactics:

Talisyn has confused and/or frustrated everyone she has ever served under for her inconsistent response to danger - if she's taking things seriously and the stakes are high enough, she has a keen mind for planning and will approach a problem surgically, methodically, and with caution. If she doesn't, or if she's thrust into a situation without warning, she instead swings the other way entirely and jumps in feet-first, laughing and taunting all the while.

She's a highly-skilled markswoman and sword-fighter, and an experienced and well-trained pilot, though she won't fight or fly fair if she can help it - rules are for people who haven't survived as many scrapes as she has. An unfortunate few have discovered that she's hardly safe when unarmed, as well - her tail, already a surprisingly efficient blunt instrument, hides a long, sharp spur perfect for those times when someone thinks a little rope (or a guard or two) will hold an enemy agent.

Complications:

Artifact Hunter - Despite her best efforts, Talisyn has a certain fascination with her people's old artifacts - the bits and baubles left behind when the ancient empire fell, and by extension old, forgotten machines and cosmic constructs in general. If the first-best way to draw her out is to tread on the helpless, the second-best is to leak information on a newly-discovered cache or device on some backwater planet. And even if it's real, one simply has to find out what it does....

Girl's Gotta Eat - Talisyn has a ship to run, a crew to support, and a life to lead. Living isn't free, and balancing helping someone vs. getting paid isn't always easy.

Helping the Helpless - Talisyn holds a severe weak spot for the downtrodden and people being taken advantage of by the system they live under. She'll go well out of her way to lend them a hand, offer some leverage, and try to even the scales.

My Crew - Don't mess with her crew.

Playing Both Sides - Talisyn has a history with both the law and the lawless, and while this leaves her with contacts on both sides it also leaves her with a lot of people who see one or the other (or both) as betrayals and signs of a general lack of trustworthiness.

Political Currency - Her people have none. They are the remaining descendants of a ancient and long-broken empire, a people without much organization, culture, or representation in...darn near anything.

Abilities: 4+8+4+4+2+6= 28pp

Str: 14/16 (+2/+3)

Dex: 18 (+4)

Con: 14/20 (+2/+5)

Int: 14 (+2)

Wis: 12 (+1)

Cha: 16 (+3)

Combat: 14+10= 24pp

Initiative: +8

Attack: +7 (+13 melee, +13 blaster, +7 ranged)

Grapple: +16 (+18 w/ tail)

Defense: +15 (+5 Base, +10 Dodge Bonus, +3 Flat-Footed)

Knockback: -2

Saving Throws: 2+5+5= 12pp

Toughness: +5 (+5 Con)

Fortitude: +7 (+5 Con, +2)

Reflex: +9 (+4 Dex, +5)

Will: +6 (+1 Wis, +5)

Skills: 19pp

Skills boosted by ECHO are noted as such. Skills granted entirely by ECHO are italicized.

Acrobatics 2 (+6 / +10 w/ tail)

Bluff 11 (+14 / +18 w/ attractive)

Computers 3 (+5 / +10ECHO)

Craft (Mechanical) 3 (+5)

Diplomacy 7 (+10 / +14 w/ attractive)

Gather Information 1 (+4)

Knowledge (Art) 3 (+5)ECHO

Knowledge (Civics) 3 (+5)ECHO

Knowledge (Current Events) 3 (+5)ECHO

Knowledge (Galactic Lore) 1 (+3 / +10ECHO)

Knowledge (History) 3 (+5)ECHO

Knowledge (Tactics) 8 (+10)

Knowledge (Technology) 4 (+6)ECHO

Knowledge (Theology and Philosophy) 3 (+5)ECHO

Knowledge (Streetwise) 3 (+5)

Languages 1 (native, galstandard)

Medicine 4 (+5)

Notice 9 (+10)

Pilot 10 (+14)

Search 3 (+5)

Sense Motive 9 (+10 / +15ECHO)

Stealth 1 (+5)

Feats: 28pp

Ambidextrous

Attack Focus (Melee) 6

Attractive

Connected

Dodge Bonus 10

Equipment 13 (+13 from Vet Award)

Fast Task (Taunt)

Improved Initiative

Luck

Master Plan 2

Power Attack

Precise Shot

Quick-Draw

Taunt

Equipment: 1+4+6+54= 65ep

Handcuffs [1ep]

Smoke Grenade (Obscure 2 (10' radius)) [4ep]

Ship Communicator (Communication 5 (Radio; Extras: Area [5 miles]; Flaws: Limited [other ship communicators]) + Super-Senses 1 (Communication Link [ship, radio])) [5+1= 6ep]

The Horizon (spaceship) [54ep]

Size: Awesome (-12 atk/def; STR 60; Toughness 15) [5ep]

Strength: +10 (70)

Features:

Hidden Compartments

Navigation System

Communications

Computer

Defense System

Fire Prevention System

Hangar

Library

Living Space

Security System

Workshop

Blast 10 [20ep]

Flight 5 (250mph) [10ep]

Super-Movement 3 (Space Travel 3) [6ep]

Powers: 10+6+2+2+1+1+7+10+14+6+10= 69pp

ECHO 2 (10pp container; Flaws: Hard-to-Lose; Feats: Restricted 2 [responds only to Eclipse & known allies]) [10pp]

A dry-humored AI originally designed for information processing and dissemination; accompanies Eclipse via a small device on her belt, capable of projecting himself or appearing on her cyber-eye 'HUD'. He responds poorly to the uncivilized and the violent.

Enhanced Feats 1 (Online Research) [1dp]

Enhanced Skills 9 (Computers 5, Knowledge (Art) 3, Knowledge (Civics) 3, Knowledge (Current Events) 3, Knowledge (Galactic Lore) 7, Knowledge (History) 3, Knowledge (Technology) 4, Knowledge (Theology and Philosophy) 3, Sense Motive 5) [9dp]

Enhanced Con 6 [6pp] (cybernetics)

Enhanced Str 2 [2pp] (cybernetics)

Immunity 4 (Aging, Disease, Poison, Radiation; Flaw: Limited [half]) [2pp]

Leaping 1 (x2) [1pp] (cybernetics)

Speed 1 (10mph) [1pp] (cybernetics)

Super-Senses 7 (All Vision [Analytical, Extended], All Audio [Extended], Infravision, Ultra-Hearing, Ultravision) [7pp] (cyber-eyes, ear implants)

Cyber-Tail 2 (10pp container) [10pp]

A long, segmented, cybernetic tail; when grafted onto a subject, it grants a prehensile appendage capable of enhancing balance and combat.

Additional Limb 1 [1pp]

Enhanced Feat 1 (Improved Trip) [1pp]

Enhanced Skill 1 (Acrobatics +4) [1pp]

Elongation 1 (5ft; Extras: Action [Free], Duration [Continuous]; Flaws: Limited [Tail], Permanent) [1pp]

Strike 4 (Feats: Mighty, Variable Descriptor (blunt, slashing, piercing)) [6pp] (retractable tail blade)

Blaster 3 (15pp device; Flaws: Easy to Lose; Feats: Accurate 3, Restricted 2) [14pp]

Military SpecOps-issue personalized blaster; old, scarred, but reliable.

Fire Mode Array 7 (14pp array; Feats: Alternate Power 1) [15dp]

BP: Blast 7 [14/14pp]

AP: Damage 7 (Extras: Area [Cone, Targeted], Selective; Flaws: Action [Full-Round]) [14/14pp]

Sword 2 (10pp device; Flaws: Easy to Lose) [6pp]

Star-metal swords are so much easier to come by in the stars.

Strike 4 (Extras: Penetrating 3; Feats: Improved Critical 2, Mighty) [10dp]

Regeneration 10 (Recovery Bonus +4 [+9], Bruised 3 [no action], Injured 3 [1 minute]) [10pp]

Abilities (28) + Combat (24) + Saving Throws (12) + Skills (19) + Feats (28) + Powers (69) = 180/180pp

A little bit Han Solo, a little bit Star-Lord, a little bit Nathan Ford. She probably has some math errors still; haven't given her a final once-over yet.

One of these days I'm going to make another male character. One day! One day.

She should be fun. Had to do a lot of trimming, especially offensively, but she has at least a couple tricks and as I get more pp on her I'll fill her out with some more feats, maybe beef up the devices, and I may have her start to take trophies and add them to her sheet as new abilities. If I can pull it off, it'll be a nice touch.

Not entirely sold on the name. 'Talisyn' is one I've used elsewhere, and it mostly works ("Talisyn Alar" has a nice feel to it, and Talisyn shortens pleasingly into either Tali or Syn; I figure her race, thinned and essentially dying-out as they are, gave up on family names and identify as just one big species now). I dunno, maybe I'll come up with something better later.

The AI is...odd. I was originally going to build him as a sidekick, and had a skeleton built for what that sheet would look like...and then got an idea for a later addition of a sidekick - a cosmic elemental of sorts to add a little cheer and naivety to the ship. It'll be a long while coming, but I can't have two sidekicks! Minion, of course, would be cheating - a minion discount on a bag of skills is just...no. Nope, nope. Device it is, and I'll just deal with awkwardly writing for a character who doesn't actually have a sheet anywhere.

Did a little more work than was necessary on the race, but I wanted a set excuse for anyone to have space ruins to explore - old, fancy machines and traps and plot devices, that kind of thing. Other than Precursor tech (which would be on an entirely different level), the setting didn't have a lot of that so far.

And, yes, you read that right - replacement spine. Replacement several things! It's only subtly clear from the outside (barring the tail), and even where it can be seen it's more graceful-interplay-of-chrome-and-scarless-flesh than metal-limbs-and-riveted-iron-plates, but anyone with a half-decent Medical score and a basic scan of her will know she's been in a bad, bad state a couple of times at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Revision notes for Eclipse:

Fix the Horizon's communication power(s).

Extended applies to senses, not sense types. You'll need to double the cost to have it apply to the type, per Kenson, though it isn't in UP and would have to be run by the rest of the ref team.

• 2 months later...

starlight_zps92b053d8.png

Abilities: 6+4+10+2+6+4= 32pp

Constitution: 20 (+5)

Intelligence: 12 (+1)

Wisdom: 16 (+3)

Combat: 12+16= 28pp

Initiative: +6

Attack: +6 Base/Ranged, +10 Melee, +10 Blast

Grapple: +13

Defense: +10 (+8 base, +2 Dodge Focus), +4 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -5

Saving Throws: 3+5+6= 14pp

Toughness: 10 (+5 Con, +5 Protection)

Fortitude: 8 (+5 Con, +3)

Reflex: 7 (+2 Dex, +5)

Will: 9 (+3 Wis, +6)

Skills: 36 ranks = 9pp

Concentration 7 (+10)

Intimidation 2 (+4)

Knowledge (History) 4 (+5)

Language 2 (Alar, Galstandard, Starsong [native])

Medicine 7 (+10)

Notice 7 (+10)

Sense Motive 7 (+10)

Feats: 13pp

Dodge Focus 2

Environmental Adaptation (Zero-G)

Equipment 2

Improved Initiative

Melee Focus 4

Move-By Action

Power Attack

Precise Shot

Equipment: 6+4= 10ep

Knife (Damage 2 (Feats: Improved Critical, Mighty) [4ep]

Ship Communicator (Communication 5 (Radio; Extras: Area [5 miles]; Flaws: Limited [other ship communicators]) + Super-Senses 1 (Communication Link [ship, radio])) [5+1= 6ep]

Powers: 35+5+4+16+5+8+6= 79pp

Cosmic Array 15 (30pp Array; Feats: Alternate Power 5) [35pp]

Base: Damage 7 (Extras: Aura, Duration 2 [sustained]) [28/30] (cosmic aura)

AP: Blast 10 (Feats: Accurate 2, Improved Critical 2) [24/30] (cosmic blast)

AP: Blast 10 (Extras: Area [General, Burst], Secondary Effect; Flaws: Action [Full]) [30/30] (cosmic burst)

AP: Dazzle 10 (All Senses; Extras: Area [General Burst], Flaws: Action [Full], Range [Touch]) [30/30] (cosmic radiance)

AP: Healing 9 (Extras: Total; Feats: Persistent) [28/30] (cosmic touch)

AP: Flight 4 (to 6, 500mph / 5000 ft/move)Insubstantial 3 (Coherent Energy)Super-Movement 1 (Space Travel 1[8+15+2= 25/30]

Environmental Control 5 (Light, partial, 100') [5pp]

Flight 2 (25mph / 250 ft/move) [4pp]

Immunity 16 (Aging, All Cosmic Effects, Life Support, Starvation and Thirst) [16pp] (cosmic elemental)

Protection 5 [5pp]

Super-Senses 8 (Ultravision, Radio, Cosmic Awareness [mental; Accurate, Acute, Extended 2 [1000' increments]]) [8pp]

Super-Strength 3 [6pp]

DC Block

ATTACK        RANGE         SAVE                       EFFECT
Unarmed       touch         DC18 Toughness (Staged)    Damage
Knife         touch         DC20 Toughness (Staged)    Damage
Aura          touch         DC22 Toughness (Staged)    Damage
Melee+Aura    touch         DC25 Toughness (Staged)    Damage
Area Blast    100'          DC25 Toughness (Staged)    Damage
Blast         100'          DC25 Toughness (Staged)    Damage
Dazzle        50' radius    DC20 Reflex                Dazzled (all senses)
                            DC20 Fortitude             (recover)

Totals: Abilities (32) + Combat (28) + Saving Throws (14) + Skills (9) + Feats (13) + Powers (79) = 175/175pp

Cosmic elemental!

The original plan for Eclipse was to have her AI graduate to Sidekick, but I couldn't quite get the concept to gel...and then I was messing around in the hero factory program and made what turned into that picture up there. So, sure, brain. Why not. New possible concept for a sidekick at some point.

Being me, the sidekick is of course completely over-expensive; 175pp is Sidekick 35. This'd require either a couple of vet awards or a whooooole lot of PP earned, if I can't find satisfying ways to trim her. Bleh.

Build-wise, nothing spectacular here. I figure her ultimate origin is a little hazy, but she was planted down on some planet as guardian of what have long since become ruins - she'd be awfully grateful to whoever showed up to free her. Naive and enthusiastically curious, after so much time alone, but don't mistake that for stupidity. She's a mean peace of work in a fight, with a lot of very straightforward ways to mess you up!

EDIT: A quick glance at the sheet, much later, and I note that there are some severe math problems here. Don't pay too much attention to the math, folks, and Future Fox: if you come back to this idea, for the love of god, at least clean up the powers section.

EDIT MOAR: Fixed some things up. Still 175pp, but maybe I can roll with that?

• 3 months later...

The Trickster

Abilities: 6+10+6+4+4+10 = 40pp

Dexterity: 20 (+5)

Charisma: 20 (+5)

Combat: 10+8 = 18pp

Initiative: +5

Attack: +5 Base, +9 Melee, +13 Unarmed, +5 Ranged

Grapple: +12

Defense: +11 (+4 Base, +7 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -3

Saving Throws: 4+4+5 = 13pp

Toughness: +7 (+3 Con, +4 Protection)

Fortitude: +7 (+3 Con, +4)

Reflex: +9 (+5 Dex, +4)

Will: +7 (+2 Wis, +5)

Skills: 80r = 20pp

Acrobatics 10 (+15)

Bluff 14 (+19)SM

Disguise 0 (+5, +25 w/Morph)

Escape Artist 5 (+10)

Knowledge (Arcane) 10 (+12)

Notice 10 (+12)SM

Perform (Dance) 5 (+10)

Sense Motive 11 (+13)SM

Stealth 10 (+15)SM

Survival 5 (+7)

Feats: 21pp

All-Out Attack

Attack Focus (Melee) 4

Attack Specialization (Unarmed) 2

Defensive Attack

Distract

Elusive Target

Fast Task (Feint)

Jack-of-All-Trades

Luck

Power Attack

Redirect

Ritualist

Set-Up

Skill Mastery (Bluff, Notice, Sense Motive, Stealth)

Takedown Attack

Taunt

Uncanny Dodge (Audio)

Powers: 6+18+10+4+1+5+9+4+6+5 = 68pp

Comprehend 3 (Languages 3 [speak, understand, read/write any]) [6pp] (liar's tongue)

Illusion 4 (all senses; Feats: Progression 2 [25' radius]) [18pp]

Morph 4 (humanoids; Feats: Quick Change 2) [10pp]

Protection 4 [4pp] (magical creature)

Speed 1 [1pp]

Strike 2 (Feats: Improved Critical 2, Mighty) [5pp] (unarmed training)

Strike 6 (Feats: Extended Reach, Improved Critical, Mighty) [9pp] (crook staff)

Super-Senses 6 (Accurate, Extended Audio; Ultra-Hearing) [6pp]

Teleport 3 (300'; Flaws: Short-Range; Feats: Change Direction, Turnabout) [5pp]

Drawbacks: -0pp

DC Block

ATTACK      RANGE         SAVE                       EFFECT
Unarmed     Touch         DC20 Toughness (Staged)    Damage (Physical)
Staff       Touch +5'     DC24 Toughness (Staged)    Damage (Physical)
Illusion    Perception    DC14 Will                  Disbelieve
Totals: Abilities (40) + Combat (18) + Saving Throws (13) + Skills (20) + Feats (21) + Powers (68) - Drawbacks (0) = 180/180 Power Points

I've been poking at this build off and on for ages, usually scrapping it and starting fresh, and I could never quite get it to work until now...ish. Still some stuff I want to tweak, but that's always the way.

Trickster build! Guess the hidden animal theme (and related mythological influences). Guess. Go on, guess. I'll wait.

That said, nothing overt here - the character would certainly look human. The character would be as much western trickster figure as eastern, and it honestly makes me waffle a bit on how much of the fox theme to bring in. On the one hand, the character would almost certainly have a complication that reverts them to a straight-up four-legged animal when, say, robbed of magic or appropriately bound (because it's hilarious, and the idea of being an animal pretending to be human is a fun turn on things), which makes me think I should have a (comparatively low-powered) Metamorph on there. It'd be a not-insignificant cost sink, though - as-written now, it'd be another 8pp to add Animals to the Morph power, 1pp for the Metamporph feat, and probably 4pp for Shrinking. I could maybe get away with arraying the two Morphs, which'd help, but....I dunno, I'll have to ponder it.

The other side of that coin is that I'd have to play and describe that pretty carefully in the sheet, to try to curb people's assumptions. Fox/trickster mythology is pretty wide-spread and varied, but some is better-known than others, especially on the internet.

Mechanically, not that interesting. Some basic offense abilities, pretty much no ranged (but Teleport may help there). The crook is a power and not a device because he'd be able to summon it at will - probably a complication there, too, if people were able to bind it to keep it from returning to him. Wall-Crawling is just for the mental image of him walking on absurd surfaces; it adds to the not-quite-real side of the character, which pleases me. Perform (Dance), too, exists strictly because I like to give some of my characters little things that do absolutely nothing and will probably never come up.

Power-wise, PL9 is a weird spot but the idea (if I stuck with it) would be to keep the character relatively low-PL; probably not a lot of power growth here unless he really hooked up with a specific group of heroes, and they started growing in PL. PL9 puts him in a comfortable spot where he could contribute to PL7, 8, and 10 fights without being overpowered or overwhelmed, and his tricks, skills, and Set-Up make him at least a sort of team player.

Probably something wrong with the sheet, too, math-wise. There always is, and I bet I'll catch it two minutes after hitting ....

• 3 months later...

Thunderclap, PL8 (180pp)

ATK +3 / DAM -3
DEF +5 / TOU -5

Abilities: 6 + 8 + 6 + 2 + 0 + 2 = 24PP
Charisma: 12 (+1)

Combat: 14 + 20 = 34PP
Initiative: +20
Attack: +11 Melee, +7 Ranged
Grapple: 
Defense: +13 (+10 Base, +3 Dodge Focus), +5 Flat-Footed
Knockback: 

Saving Throws: 3 + 6 + 5 = 14PP
Toughness: +3 (+3 Con)
Fortitude: +6 (+3 Con, +3)
Reflex: +10 (+4 Dex, +6)
Will: +5 (+0 Wis, +5)

Skills: 20R = 5PP
Knowledge (Pop Culture) 5 (+6)
Notice 10 (+10)
Sense Motive 5 (+10)

Feats: 12PP
Attack Focus (Melee) 4
Dodge Focus 3
Evasion [to 2, from powers]
Fast Overrun
Improved Trip
Interpose
Move-By Action
Power Attack
Takedown Attack
Teamwork
Uncanny Dodge [Visual]

Powers: 45 + 2 + 15 + 5 + 20 + 4 = 91PP

Duplication 9 (Feats: Progression 1 [2 copies]; Extras: Action [Move], Horde, Survival) [45pp] (fork)

Electricity Awareness [2pp]

Healing 7 (Feats: Persistent; Extras: Restoration, Total; Flaws: Limited: Source [Electricity], Personal) [15pp] (recharge)

Immunity 10 (All Electricity Effects; Flaw: Half) [5pp]

Speed Container (20pp Container) [20pp]

Enhanced Feats 5 (Evasion [to 2], Improved Initiative 4) [4pp]

Quickness 5 (x50) [5pp]

Speed 7 (1000mph) [7pp]

Super-Movement 3 (Wall-Crawling 2, Water-Walking; Flaws: Limited [while running]) [3pp]

Strike 2 (Feats: Improved Critical, Mighty) [4pp] (thunder punches!)

Totals: Abilities (24) + Combat (34) + Saving Throws (14) + Skills (5) + Feats (12) + Powers (91) - Drawbacks (0) = 180/180 Power Points

Claremont Concept #1: Electric, duplicating speedster! 

This guy might be fun? In a lot of ways, he's just your classic speedster: very fast (breaks the sound barrier), attack- and defense-shifted, punches you, runs away. Haven't done final math checks, probably has some bad numbers somewhere.

I did not give him many of the usual speedster tricks (area attacks, etc) for now, opting instead for something weird: duplication! This guy is, in fact, several speedsters when he wants to be, helping him support both his own offense and others'. He'll trip and interpose 'til the sun goes down, and +Survival will help him stay on his feet when something makes it past his defense.

Thematically, he's pretty darn straight-forward. He's a guy who runs fast! Impatient, jokey, all the usual speedster highlights. Plus, he's male, which for my character stable would be rather novel.

Backstory-wise, still sorting some details out - for personal entertainment, I'd say he died (or near-died) during some major incident, for just a short time, and got brought back from the edge of permanently pushing up daisies by something appropriately dramatic - like a big accident or lightning strike. Whatever makes him unstable enough to duplicate is probably what generates the electricity, rather than vice versa.

My only real problem with him is that he isn't very deep or complex; he bears few facets. On the one hand that makes him simple, and there are benefits there...on the other, I risk losing interest if I can't find a good voice for him or if he doesn't bounce off other characters really well. This is a problem I had with GK, and while this character would be a fair bit more outgoing and up-beat than poor Tarrant was, I'm a little hesitant there.

Advantages relative to the other main option (below): Speed, gender parity, more classically super-heroic, very easy to throw into just about any situation, certainly an archetype I've never played with, frees up basic trickster framework for a later, non-Claremont hero?

Disadvantages relative to the other main option (below): A little more generic, potentially less interesting if he trips and falls flat, extremely fragile.

Trickster, PL8 (180pp)

ATK +2 / DAM -2
DEF +2 / TOU -2

Abilities: 6 + 8 + 4 + 2 + 4 + 6 = 30PP
Constitution: 14 (+2)

Combat: 8 + 8 = 16PP
Initiative: 
Attack: +10 Melee, +4 Ranged, +10 Blast
Grapple: 
Defense: +10 (+4 Base, +6 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed
Knockback: 

Saving Throws: 4 + 3 + 4 = 11PP
Toughness: +6 (+2 Con, +4 Protection)
Fortitude: +6 (+2 Con, +4)
Reflex: +7 (+4 Dex, +3)
Will: +6 (+2 Wis, +4)

Skills: 64R = 16PP
Acrobatics 7 (+11)
Bluff 12 (+15)
Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 4 (+5)
Knowledge (History) 4 (+5)
Notice 8 (+10)
Perform (Singing) 3 (+6)
Perform (Stringed Instruments) 3 (+6)
Sense Motive 8 (+10)
Sleight of Hand 6 (+10)
Stealth 6 (+10)
Survival 3 (+5)

Feats: 19PP
Attack Focus (Melee) 6
Dodge Focus 6
Evasion
Fast Task [Feint]
Luck [to 3, from powers]
Power Attack
Set-Up
Taunt
Uncanny Dodge [Auditory]

Powers: 4 + 45 + 8 + 4 + 2 + 1 + 4 + 4 + 7 + 8 = 88PP

Enhanced Feats 2 (Quick-Change 2) [2pp]

Environmental Control 4 (50' radius; Light 1) [4pp]

Trickery Array 22 (44pp Array, Feats: Alternate Power 1) [45pp]

BP: Illusion 8 (DC18, all senses; Feats: Progression 3 [50' radius]), Damage 6 (Feats: Accurate 3; Extras: Range [Ranged]; Flaws: Action [Full-Round]) [35 + 9 = 44/44pp]

AP: Duplication 10 (150/138pp copies; Feats: Mental Link, Progression 2 [5 copies]; Extras: Horde, Survival) [42/44pp]

Luck Control 2 (Spend for Others, Force Re-Roll; Feats: Luck 2) [8pp]

Protection 4 [4pp]

Speed 1 (10mph) [1pp] (training)

Strike 3 (Feats: Mighty) [4pp] (claws)

Super-Senses 7 (Visual Counters Illusion [2], Ultra-Hearing [1], Low-Light Vision [1], Magic Awareness [3]) [7pp]

Teleport 5 (500'; Feats: Change Direction, Change Velocity, Turnabout; Flaws: Short-Range) [8pp]

Totals: Abilities (30) + Combat (16) + Saving Throws (11) + Skills (16) + Feats (19) + Powers (88) - Drawbacks (0) = 180/180 Power Points

Claremont Concept #2: Trickster!

Who has two thumbs and loves tricksters? This guy. Same caveat as before - haven't necessarily done final checks on the math, some numbers are probably running wild somewhere.

This girl got a mask somewhere that was imbued with a sort of grab-bag of trickster spirits; now she's part of that mix too, bound to the mask (probably would have died without it, and would almost certainly die if somehow cut off from it?), and has gained a mess of oddball trickster powers. She might have an NPC mentor or two - adopted by full-fledged tricksters, maybe, who're trying to show her the ropes. Unsure how heavily she'd lean on the animal totems; I could pretty easily make her very cheshire- or fox-oriented by just limiting what the mask had bound to it before she put it on.

Mechanically, she'd have a bunch of neat tricks: she has a couple offensive options (the ranged damage is some kind of fox fire or mini-lightning zap; the strike is her drawing on some of the more animalistic trickster totems to form claws), some utility (illusions! woo!), and a slightly different take on the duplication game - it takes more out of her action economy to generate her clones, but they're a little tougher, still have +Survival, and she can help out other people by demoralizing or feinting as a move action and then using set-up to pass that to a teammate. If her teammates need a distraction...well, there are all kinds of fun things one can do with Illusion, and they'd be a lot of fun to write.

She also has luck control, which makes her a great team player....though with only 4pp, she's going to have to use it wisely.

One small problem would be that this would directly conflict with my earlier plans to, at some point, make a low-PL, bordering-on-ancient trickster guy who could drop into threads with new players or characters, hanging out in the lower-PL brackets for some fun and shenanigans. This trickster build stole a lot from him, thematically, and I'm not sure I'd want them both active at once.

Advantages relative to the other main option (above): A little deeper character-wise, mask full of trickster spirits is a great plot hook, powers would be fun to write, more duplication shenanigans, better team player, a bit less standard (befitting a less-than-standard Claremont team, by the looks of things).

Disadvantages relative to the other main option (above): Does nothing to provide better gender parity in my character stable, competes with previous plans, a bit less spandex-y.

Edited by Fox