Limos - Doctor Hypotenuse (On hold)

Limos

Work in progress of my first character, Doctor Hypotenuse. He's kills you with MATH. Still working on his background and history. But here is most of the crunch. I think I have everything I really need. My whole idea is to create a character who changes angles and trajectories. He can either reflect or redirect things coming toward him, or he can disrupt people with energy attacks. Please let me know if you can see any problems with my math or any way to improve.

Also where can I find a good generator to make a character portrait for him?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name: Limos

Character Name: Doctor Hypotenuse

Power Level: PL 7, 105 pp

Trade-Offs: +3 Attack / -3 Damage, -2 Defense / +2 Toughness

Unspent PP: 0

Gold Status: 0/30

In Brief: Mathematics scholar who accidentally invented a geometrically impossible protractor. Using it he can take measurements of the world that are both true and false, giving him the ability to warp space while the universe is too busy having a conniption over it.

Alternate Identities: Dr. Patrick Yancy Thagoras

Identity: Secret

Birthplace:

Affiliations: (People and/or groups you work with)

Family: Father Thomas Thagoras (deceased), Mother Anna Thagoras (deceased), Wife Martha Thagoras (deceased), Son William Thagoras

Ethnicity: Caucasian

Height: 5 feet, 10 inches

Weight:140 lbs

Eyes: Blue

Hair: Blonde, heavily Graying

Description: P.Y. Thagorus is an elderly man, his once blonde hair now mostly silvered, his blue eyes watery behind his reading spectacles. He walks with a cane and wears a tweed suit with patches on the elbows. Thagorus' face is marked by deeply sunken eyes and cadaverous cheeks. His eyebrows are bushy and wild, as is the shock of silver hair that he tries to keep slicked back away from his face, yet is always getting all frizzy and in the way. When in his super guise he wears a fine tailored black suit and a white silk mask that covers all except his eyes as well as a black silk bowler hat. His space bending protractor is matte black and has a chill feel of metal, but is extremely light.

Power Descriptions: Doctor Hypotenuse has a passive displacement flux surrounding him due to the presence of his Pythagorean Protractor. Any physical projectiles that enter the field bend and warp around him without impact, and without losing their momentum. Through careful study he has learned to shape the field in order to send incoming projectiles towards whatever target he wishes. His field is unable to change the trajectory of energy weapons fire and to compensate for this he has programmed a second chip into the protractor that is meant to absorb and disperse damage, each time it is used however the fibers in his suit lose some of their charge and elasticity and the field loses effectiveness. Without the Protractor Dr. Hypotenuse is nearly helpless, being only an elderly scholar. All of his powers run on Applied Mathematics, not magic, nor mutation.

History:

Personality & Motivation:

Powers & Tactics:

Abilities: -4 -2 + 0 + 10 + 6 + 0 = 10PP

Strength: 6 (-2)

Dexterity: 8 (-1)

Constitution: 10 (+0)

Intelligence: 20 (+5)

Wisdom: 16 (+3)

Charisma: 10 (+0)

Combat: 8 + 8 = 16PP

Initiative: +4

Attack: +4

Grapple: +0

Defense: +5 (+3 Base, +2 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -0

Saving Throws: 3 + 4 + 1 = 8PP

Toughness: +9 (+0 Con, +7 [Other] + 2 Dodge Roll)

Fortitude: +3 (+0 Con, +3)

Reflex: +3 (-1 Dex, +4)

Will: +4 (+1 Wis, +3)

Skills: 8R = 2PP

[Knowledge(Tactics)] [4] (+9)

[Notice] [4] (+9)

Feats: 12PP

Dodge Focus (2)

Dodge Roll

Attack Focus (Ranged) 6

Master Plan 2

Improved Initiative

Powers: 57 = 57PP

Pythagorean Protractor (Device) 19 (95PP, Flaws: Easy-To-Lose) [57PP]

(Base Power) Warp Bubble (Deflect) 10 [82PP]

Extras: Action (4), Reflection, Redirection

Feats: Interpose, Subtle

All Physical Projectiles (2 points per rank)

(Alternate Power) Warp Ripple (Damage) 4 [25PP]

Extras: Range, Autofire (3), Penetrating

Feat: Subtle

DC Block:

ATTACK           RANGE                SAVE                        EFFECT

Warp Ripple    Ranged     DC19 Toughness (Autofire)     Damage (Energy)

Super Movement (Wall Walking) 3 [3PP]

Protection 7

Extras: Impervious

Flaw: Fades

Super Sense (Direction and Distance sense) [2PP]

Abilities (10) + Combat (16) + Saving Throws (8) + Skills (2) + Feats (12) + Powers (57) - Drawbacks (0) = 105 Power Points

There's lots of problems with your formatting. Take a look at some other sheets to see what I mean.

Abilities: -4 -2 + 0 + 10 + 6 + 0 = 10PP

Strength: 6 (-2)

Dexterity: 8 (-1)

Constitution: 10 (+0)

Intelligence: 20 (+5)

Wisdom: 16 (+3)

Charisma: 10 (+0)

Adds up.

Combat: 8 + 8 = 16PP

Initiative: +4

Attack: +4

Grapple: +0

Defense: +5 (+3 Base, +2 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -0

Your costs and calculations are off. Base Def is 2 PP per point, so you only spent 6 PP on Base Def, not 8. Likewise, flat-footed Def is your Base Def divided by 2, rounded down; so in this case, your Base Def is +33, so your Flat-footed Def would be +1. Knockback needs to be recalculated, too; it's normally Toughness/2, but Impervious counts for full. So in this case, it would be (7 + (2/2)) -8 Knockback. Um, Grapple is Str + Melee Attack Bonus, gotta list that. Initiative is Dex Bonus + 4 for every rank in Improved Ini (this character has 1) \, so in this case it'd be +3. You need to list your Ranged Att Bonus, since it's different from your Base Att.

Saving Throws: 3 + 4 + 1 = 8PP

Toughness: +9 (+0 Con, +7 [Other] + 2 Dodge Roll)

Fortitude: +3 (+0 Con, +3)

Reflex: +3 (-1 Dex, +4)

Will: +4 (+1 Wis, +3)

Costs are off. You spent 3 + 4 + 3 = 10 PP, not 8. That's not even mentioning how low these are for a PL 7 character.

Skills: 8R = 2PP

[Knowledge(Tactics)] [4] (+9)

[Notice] [4] (+9)

He's a math professor without any ranks in Know/Physical Sciences (which includes mathematics and physics)? Moreover, he built this thing without any ranks in Craft or Know/Tech? And where are his ranks in Know/Tactics coming from? Lastly, Notice is based off Wis, so it would be a +7 modifier, not +9.

Feats: 12PP

Dodge Focus (2)

Dodge Roll

Attack Focus (Ranged) 6

Master Plan 2

Improved Initiative

Adds up, but again, where is Master Plan coming from? Did he spend time in the military (or does he play lots of strategy games? ;) )

Powers: 57 = 57PP

Pythagorean Protractor (Device) 19 (95PP, Flaws: Easy-To-Lose) [57PP]

(Base Power) Warp Bubble (Deflect) 10 [82PP]

Extras: Action (4), Reflection, Redirection

Feats: Interpose, Subtle

All Physical Projectiles (2 points per rank)

(Alternate Power) Warp Ripple (Damage) 4 [25PP]

Extras: Range, Autofire (3), Penetrating

Feat: Subtle

DC Block:

ATTACK           RANGE                SAVE                        EFFECT

Warp Ripple    Ranged     DC19 Toughness (Autofire)     Damage (Energy)

Super Movement (Wall Walking) 3 [3PP]

Protection 7

Extras: Impervious

Flaw: Fades

Super Sense (Direction and Distance sense) [2PP]

No. On several levels, no. The formatting needs to be overhauled, but frankly that's the least of your worries. Off the top of my head: A subtle Damage effect will never fly, since it would never give another character a chance to figure out something is happening to them. Fades on your only Toughness-boosting effect is a terrible idea, especially without Slow Fade, because you're gonna get taken down very fast.

Your math is, surprisingly, off, not to mention that several things just don't make sense. Read the description of Deflect in UP again; it cannot exceed your total Def bonus. Similarly, if you're going to use it for a Melee Block it cannot exceed your Melee Att Bonus. Nothing in Deflect mentions buying it only for "physical projectiles.' Need a cost for the Protection effect; oh yes, you should also note the amount of Impervious Protection in his Saves line.

In summary: Deflect is a terrible power. It needs to have an incredible cost to even be worth it in the slightest, and the effect it provides is better emulated with Enhanced Defense and Enhanced Feat (Dodge Focus), given the proper descriptors. Your character concept is sound, but it needs to be reworked substantially.

One thing, Deflect costs 1-3 points per rank. For 1 point per rank it can deflect slow moving physical projectiles (spears, batarangs, etc.), fast moving physical projectiles (bullets), or energy. For 2 points per rank it can deflect two of the above. For three points per rank it can deflect all three.

Can I just say that I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out your formatting? I copy pasted it from the newbie guide but it's still kind of a pain. I built him on a Mythweavers sheet like I normally do with characters and then tried to translate him into this.

Also since Deflect is the whole basis of the character and isn't as useful as I thought it would be I'm going to be putting this character on hold anyway.

Limos - As I said in the chatroom last night right before you left, the core of your idea is solid. A reclusive misanthrope who spent his life building walls between himself and the world is finally forced or convinced by some circumstance to stop hiding behind those walls and start doing something to make the outside world a better place. That's a redemption story with a lot of great potential.

No. On several levels, no. The formatting needs to be overhauled, but frankly that's the least of your worries. Off the top of my head: A subtle Damage effect will never fly, since it would never give another character a chance to figure out something is happening to them. Fades on your only Toughness-boosting effect is a terrible idea, especially without Slow Fade, because you're gonna get taken down very fast.

Your math is, surprisingly, off, not to mention that several things just don't make sense. Read the description of Deflect in UP again; it cannot exceed your total Def bonus. Similarly, if you're going to use it for a Melee Block it cannot exceed your Melee Att Bonus. Nothing in Deflect mentions buying it only for "physical projectiles.' Need a cost for the Protection effect; oh yes, you should also note the amount of Impervious Protection in his Saves line.

In summary: Deflect is a terrible power. It needs to have an incredible cost to even be worth it in the slightest, and the effect it provides is better emulated with Enhanced Defense and Enhanced Feat (Dodge Focus), given the proper descriptors. Your character concept is sound, but it needs to be reworked substantially.

We have allowed +Subtle attack powers before. My main character has several. (In fact, most of her attacks are both +Mental and +Subtle, so they're "super-Subtle.") We also allow +Insidious (and, in fact, under our house rules, it's a 1PP feat, like in 3E, rather than the +1PP/rank extra that it is in 2E-RAW). It's the second rank of +Subtle that we never allow. Requiring a DC20 Notice check to pick up on the power and/or the source? Sure. A power that absolutely, positively cannot be detected by any Super-Senses ever, regardless of descriptors? No. Hell no.

As of Ultimate Power, Deflect is capped by your Defense bonus, period. Melee Attack bonus doesn't enter into it. Deflect works against both ranged and melee attacks, and it doesn't discriminate between them.

Deflect does indeed say something about "only physical projectiles." Specifically, the base cost is 1PP/rank to deflect either "slow physical projectiles," "fast physical projectiles," or "energy." For +1PP/rank each, you can add another item from that list.

Deflect is usually a terrible power, but if he's got +Reflection on it, suddenly it shoots up to somewhere between OK and Good.

I agree that -Ablative on Protection/Force Field is usually a terrible idea that the player quickly comes to regret. However, if the character with an -Ablative Force Field also has Deflect, it becomes much less of a concern.

Arraying your attack and defense powers together is, again, usually a terrible idea. However, if he's meeting his PL caps for Defense and Toughness, then the Deflect power is just icing on the cake. And, again, since the Deflect power has +Reflection, it sort of also counts as an attack power (just a more situational one). So the array doesn't make him choose between attack and defense each round (which would be a terrible, terrible idea), but rather, between hardcore offense versus defensive attacking. That's fine.