The Closing of the Year [OOC]

trollthumper

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, those who look into the patch have to deal with total visual concealment a la Darkness Control. That is, save for Ironclad and Dead Head, who should probably read the spoiler below...

At the center of the park, you can see a huge bonfire. Lying around it are runes in what looks like some Norse language (Dead Head can probably make an Arcane Lore roll to figure out what language it might be). There is in fact a stereo set up right next to the bonfire, and dancing around are three stereotypical white power skinheads. Only... well, shouldn't they be wearing shirts in the winter? And don't they seem a bit gaunt? And there's that weird light in their eyes...

And those who enter the patch will have to roll a DC10 Fortitude check for extreme cold.

Well, that was... something. First off, the Paralyzed dog will get to make another Fortitude check as a) it's been a while, and B) it's on fire. Since it's been so long, it now has a +1 to the Fortitude save... and handily beats the DC22, so it's back in the game. But it still needs to roll damage against the bonfire... but the bonfire probably tops out at a +5 damage, which means it doesn't beat the hound's Impervious. And now is the time for Initiative.

Cannonade goes on 23.

The hound goes on 9.

Nazi 1 goes on 24.

Nazi 2 goes on 13.

Nazi 3 goes on 8.

All right, then. Initiative order:

Nazi 1: 24, Unharmed, 0 HP

Cannonade: 23, Bruised x1, 2 HP

Push: 20, Unharmed, 3 HP

Dead Head: 17, Unharmed, 1 HP

Ironclad: 16, Unharmed, 2 HP

Nazi 2: 13, Unharmed, 0 HP

Mutt: 10, Unharmed, 0 HP

Hound: 9, Bruised x3, Staggered, 0 HP

Nazi 3: 8, Unharmed, 0 HP

So Nazi 1 charges at Cannonade, because he's a dick like that. As Cannonade has yet to act in combat (and it's dark as the void out), he's caught flat-footed, so a 13 hits, if barely. He needs to make a DC25 Toughness roll, and... doesn't. Screw this. HERO POINT!

Yeah, a 26 is fairly better, I'd say. So Cannonade returns by driving his fist right into the Nazi's breadbasket. It hits on a 22, necessitating a DC23 Toughness save. The Nazi gets a 16, however, stunning it. So, here's where we stand.

Nazi 1: 24, Bruised x1, Stunned, 0 HP

Cannonade: 23, Bruised x2, 1 HP

Push is up next.

Push's turn, and time for some judgement from above!

As discussed in chat, blowing an HP and a move action to drop the last flashbang from Coffee Shop Blues. Visual and Auditory Dazzle 3 on everything in range, and the shadows are lit up like a Christmas tree.

Then for the Standard action. Blowing another HP to stunt, time for the Kinetic Barrage!

Damage 8 (Extras: Area [General, Cone, Extras: Selective]) (Kinetic Barrage) [24 PP]

That'd be a DC 23 TOU Save from all the skinheads in range as they get hit by a couple dozen kinetic bolts each. Except for Cannonade. Because he's special like that. And Push's aim has improved!

Sadly, the Nazis' Fort save is larger than the DC on the Dazzle, so both beat it. Likewise, their Impervious beats the +8 Damage modifier. Sorry, Quinn.

Dead Head is next.

I'm not sure if I need to hold my action to go after Mutt for this or not. Here's my plan:

Free Action: Fall/Leap off Mutt

Move Action: Attempt to steer self towards Nazi

Standard Action: Charging attack w/ shovel, aiming for Nazi #2 or #3 (i.e., one of the still-flat footed ones)

Charging attack (+2 attack, -2 Defense), All-Out Attack (-2 Defense, +2 Attack), Power Attack (-5 Attack, +5 Damage); total mod -1 Attack, +5 Damage, -4 Defense; Sneak Attack also added in, so DC 30 Toughness save (1d20+11=30) :shock:

... yeah, I'ma spend his one HP to get 1 rank of Improved Critical for his shovel, bumping the Toughness DC to 35.

If that Nazi falls, and there's another one within 5 feet, his Takedown Attack feat lets him wallop that one.

Okay. Wow. The Nazi rolls rather well on his Toughness save, but he's still Stunned from such an impact.

Dead Head: 17, Unharmed, 0 HP

Nazi 2: 13, Bruised x1, Stunned, 0 HP

Ironclad is next.

All right, with the all-out blast, it's DC29 Toughness for the Hound... and it gets a 12. The hound is now chunks of the inky black void.

Dead Head: 17, Unharmed, 0 HP

Nazi 2 is still Stunned, so Mutt is up.

All right, then. We're now at the top of the round. Here's where it stands:

Push: 20, Unharmed, 1 HP

Dead Head: 17, Bruise x1, 0 HP

Nazi 1 is still Stunned, so Cannonade's going to take the opportunity to +2 Power Attack it... and miss utterly. Oh, well. Can't win 'em all. Nazi 1 also comes out of being Stunned on Cannonade's initiative.

Nazi 1: 24, Bruised x1, 0 HP

Push: 20, Unharmed, 1 HP

Push is up next. Oh, and if anyone (though in this case, "anyone" pretty much equals "Dead Head and Ironclad") would like to make a Knowledge (arcane lore) or Knowledge (theology) roll to figure out what the hell these guys might be talking about, feel free to do so. In Clad's case, that'd like be a straight INT roll, but that's the wonder of Eidetic Memory.

Stop! Power-Stunt Hammer Time!

Strike 10 (Extras: Area [General, Burst], Selective, Linked [Trip], Flaws: Action [Full], Distracting) [10PP] + Trip 10 (Extras: Area [General, Burst], Selective, Linked , Flaws: Action [Full], Distracting, Range [Touch], Feats: Improved Throw) [6PP] (Kinetic Hammerquake 2.0) [16PP].

Everyone in the area not protected by Push's pseudo-Paralyze link (Action [Full], Selective) has to make a DC20 Reflex save for 1/2 (general area), then a DC25 Toughness save (or DC20 if they made the Area save) and a contested roll, the lower of their STR+Super-STR or DEX+Acrobatranks versus your Trip rank (so 10, or 5 if they made the Area save). If they fail the Trip check, they're knocked prone. Push also loses his Dodge Bonus this round due to the severe concentration required to keep the others from going flying after the shockwave (Distracting).

Rollsplosion awaits!

Nazi 1 fails his Reflex save for 1/2, improbably succeeds on his Trip check, and even more improbably succeeds on his Toughness check. Goddamn.

Nazi 2 fails his Reflex save for 1/2, fails his Trip check and falls prone, and fails his Toughness check by 15, taking him out of the game.

Nazi 3 succeeds on his Reflex save for 1/2, succeeds on his Trip check, but fails his Toughness save by 9, Stunning him. So here's where we stand now:

Nazi 1: 24, Bruised x1, 0 HP

Push: 20, Unharmed, 0 HP

Nazi 3: 8, Bruised x1, Stunned, 0 HP

Dead Head is up next.

... this is what Push used in the warehouse, isn't it?

Also, if he's attacking everyone in the area, then there's nothing Selective in there. In fact, based on everything you've been telling us since you made Push (notably, that Complication re: collateral damage), nothing he has (much less stunts) should have Selective Attack. Ever.

Reflex save, DC 20 (1d20+6=15) faaaiiiiil

And the Damage is not below his Impervious (it's equal to it), so he does have to try a Toughness save.

Toughness save, DC 25; includes -1 form existing injury which he hasn't had time to regenerate (1d20+15=18) fails by 7, that's another injury + stunned

Knockback of -13 = not knocked back, or even prone, by the friendly fire Strike 10.

The Trip part, though, is wonky. Normally with the Trip power, it's a Trip power check vs. their Str or Dex, not just their Str or Dex vs. your Trip rank. But, you went and stuck Area on there, which does funky things to attack effects.

My advice: just do an Area Strike with lots of Knockback power feat, with the provision that the extra KB is just to get over a target's KB resistance and thus knock them prone, just like a Trip.

Eeeh....see Troll's comment below. And incidentally, that comment about "hits everyone in the area" was a copy-paste from the original message from Shaen after he made the original stunt, along with the description of what follows that I posted there for Troll's convinience. Unfortunately, I didn't notice it after I made the tweaks to the stunt, so I've fixed it nao.

I've discussed the matter with Quinn. He says that unlike in the warehouse incident, where Push acted rashly in the face of a tide of zombies and caused regrettable collateral damage, Push is taking time to be deliberate and putting himself at risk from attack while his defenses are lowered in order to not screw anyone on his side. He's not invoking the Complication, and I do not wish to invoke it for him at this time. The Selective Attack Extra counts, and will not hit any of the other heroes.