Shift X - Gibraltar - PL10 Hero

Player Name: Shift X

Character Name: Gibraltar

Power Level: 10 (150/150PP)

Trade-Offs: -5 Attack / +5 Damage, -4 Defense / +4 Toughness

Unspent PP: 0

Progress to Bronze Status: 0/30

In Brief: Gibraltar is a down on his luck, but ready to take on the world, Tank.

Alternate Identities: Jack Gale

Identity: Secret

Birthplace: Detroit, MI

Affiliations: None

Family: Samuel Gale (father, 51), Theresa Ludwig-Gale (mother), Fredrick Ludwig (uncle, a.k.a. the supervillain Baron Blizzard), Augustus Ludwig (cousin, a.k.a. the supervillain Brimstone)

Apparent Age: N/A

Ethnicity: Caucasian

Height: 7'2"

Weight: 382 lbs

Eyes: Blue

Hair: Silver-White

Skin: Pale Blue

Description: Gibraltar is basically your classic comic-book Powerhouse. He's extremely strong, ridiculously durable, and usually spouting off sarcastic comments in the thick of battle. He's got blue skin, his hair is silvery-white and is quite simply a huge mountain of muscle.

History:

Excerpt from an interview with the Freedom City Chronicle, March of last year:

Ok...lets get one thing straight from the start. I've never been bit by anything that was even close to being radioactive, cosmic-powered, or that even had cooties, for that matter. You'd be surprised what people believe, what with reading all those tabloid stories. Oh, yeah, and I never had anything romantical going on with that District Attorney-lady. We're just friends. Honest.

Hmmm. Lemme see...what else?

I'm strong. No, I mean really strong. Pick-up-a-car-and-shake-it-til-loose-change-falls-out kinda strong. I'm pretty much bullet-proof too. Steel-hard skin and an attitude to match. Heh. Naw, not really. You can leave that last part out...'bout the attitude.

How'd I get like this? Well, I could tell you alot of stories that I've heard around town...none of which would be true...but I'll let you in on the secret. You ever hear of a guy they call Baron Blizzard? The Mad-Scientist Master of the Bio-Freeze? Been arrested like a billion times trying stupid stunts like holding the city hostage by trying to freeze the Mayor and the entire City Council solid? Always gets smacked around by even the lamest of spandex heroes? Yeah, that's him. A real loser, right?

Well, I ain't proud of it, but he's my uncle. Yeah, really, he is. He's an idiot, but he's a genius-level idiot. You know what I mean? Way back when he was getting his start, he lived with my parents for awhile. When my mother got pregnant with me, he was still working his day job as a biochemist for some research firm, and he convinced my parents that he could improve my genetics with this formula he'd been working on for the corporation. Make me stronger. Faster. Smarter than most of the other kids. Real hush-hush stuff.

Back then, they didn't have any reason to think he was quite the level of wacko that he later proved himself to be, and so, after alot of deliberation...my parents let him inject my mom with a series of treatments over the course of the pregnancy. However, when I was born, and all the way up to my second birthday, so far as they could tell, I was 100% normal. Nothing special. Two weeks later my Uncle was arrested for the first time. After that, my parents prefered to try to pretend that their compliance with this experiments never happened.

I grew up pretty normal, I guess. A little above average-sized. Not too strong, fast, smart...just pretty normal, all in all. I did decent in school, had a few friends, and dated a little...about what you'd expect.

It wasn't until my second semester of college that things changed. That was the day when Baron Blizzard showed up outside my dorm and kidnapped me on my way to class. Man, what a bad day THAT was. I had gotten up late and hadn't even had time for breakfast, and to make matters worse, I missed a Physics exam I had been studyinging for most of the night.

Old Uncle Bliz took me to an abandoned warehouse where he'd set up his lab...though, I guess since he was using it, it really wasn't so abandoned, was it? Anyway, he strapped me into this really strange machine and powered it up. At the time I didn't even know who he was let alone what he was doing...but since then I've found out that he was using his equipment to trigger the latent mega-genes he'd altered in my DNA by bombarding me with Ionic Pulses. Heh, yeah, I know. Sounded goofy to me too when he explained it to me while grandstanding and laughing maniacally in the center of the room.

It took some time...about a week he had me trapped there, I guess.., and as far as my mental abilities nothing really changed, but it turned out that he at least got the physical stuff right. The Ionic energy caused me to get big. REALLY big. REALLY strong...and REALLY blue. I'm still not so sure how I like that part. Its taken a lot of getting used to, let me tell you.

Anyway, Uncle Blizzy completely underestimated the potential of what he'd done to me and it didn't take long before I'd broken out of his machine and smashed up his lab pretty good. He got away in all the chaos, unfortunately, but at least for the time being, I'd stopped whatever his plans were. I really didn't understand what he was up to, I mean, why do all this to me just for a crazy experiment? Why had he done this to me? It'd be over a year before I'd find out.

In the meantime, I did my best to try and figure out just how I was going to live my life as a huge, musclebound blueberry. Lets just say that my parents were a little surprised when I came home, and well...I broke a lot of stuff. Not intentially, but man, when you're as strong as I am, something like 15 year old couches and television remotes with an on button that sticks don't stand a chance.

Eventually we, meaning my parents and me, decided that I should move out and get my own place, so as not to draw too much attention to them...considering the fact that if I was going to pursue a career as a crimefighter, somewhere along the road somebody was going to go after whatever family I had.

I started just using the name Gibraltar full-time, too. As a matter of fact, almost nobody but my folks know me as Jack anymore...and its probably better that way.

For awhile, things went pretty well. I stopped a few crimes. Ended up on the 6 o'clock news, basically did pretty well for myself as a neighborhood hero. Until the Baron showed back up again, that is. Or rather, his son, my cousin did. But he didn't look like the little Augustus that i knew anymore. No, my cousin now stood a few inches taller than me, with more muscles, orange skin, and with flaming hair. Oh, and yeah, spewing volcanic plasma from his mouth.

And people wonder why I avoid family reunions.

To make a long and somewhat painful story short, cousin Auggy was now calling himself Brimstone and he was looking to put a massive beatdown on yours truly...which he did, since I didn't see him comin'. He dragged me back to the Baron's new lair, an upscale condo on the other side of town, believe it or not, where my uncle used more of his crazy machines to bind me in the basement for use in more of his "tests".

You see, apparently I was the prototype for my cousin Auggy's transformation...he was a few years older than me and he'd always been sort of sickly when we were kids...and since we had similar DNA strands...good old Uncle Freddie had started experimenting on me before I was even born as a way to make improvements on his own son. Unfortunately for Brimstone, for some reason his DNA wasn't adapting as well as mine and his transformation was highly unstable.

Kinda twisted, huh?

Anyways, what appeared to be a freak lightning storm (and later turned out to be some superpowered-types duking it out a few blocks away) knocked out the condo's power a few nights later, and I escaped...AFTER giving my lovin' cousin a good lesson in WHO the toughest kid on the block was. I left him lying in a heap and called in the police who shuttled him off somewhere...hopefully somewhere dark and cold.

And the Baron? He got away...again. It figures.

So, now I spend my time searching the want ads for a job that can accomodate me, watching over my shoulder for any more crazy relatives, and patrolling the streets looking for people who need help.

Most days, its a pretty good time.

Personality & Motivation: Gibraltar has what could be called an overgrown sense of responsiblity and a knack for getting into trouble. He's overconfident at times, mostly due to the fact that he's so hard to damage. A bit naive, he truly enjoys his work as a hero, both as a crimefighter and as a volunteer for numerous children's charities. Gibraltar's civilian identity is not public, and he seldom refers to himself as Jack even when off duty. Due to his massive size and coloration, its obviously rather difficult for him to blend into a crowd.

Powers & Tactics: Jack is a scrapper by nature, though he's not had a lot of actual combat training. Thus far, his size and strength have done well enough for him, and his immense durability has allowed for a substantial margin for error on his part. In general, though, without direction, he tends to wade into the thick of things and set himself in front of whatever's the biggest, nastiest threat, allowing everyone else to scramble to safety.

Complications:

Overconfident: Considering how difficult he is to damage, Gibraltar often thinks he can handle pretty much everything and charges into battle without thinking.

Baron Blizzard: Gibraltar goes way out of his way to try and stop any of Blizzard's schemes that he comes across.

Brimstone: Gibraltar is constantly a target whenever his cousin is around, as Brimstone enjoys Lording his "superiority" over his once more powerful relative. Gibraltar feels oddly responsible for any carnage that Brimstone causes.

"With Great Power...": Jack grew up reading comics and watching Saturday morning cartoons, "knowing" that he was somehow special just like the costumed characters he saw there...in fact, his parents had told him so. Though this conviction waned as he grew older and his powers didn't materialize, now that he has come into his own, he feels the need to use his abilities to protect those who can't protect themselves.

Abilities: 8 + 0 + 8 + 0 + 0 + 0 = 16PP

Strength 18/40 (+4/+15)

Dexterity 10 (+0)

Constitution 18/30 (+4/+10)

Intelligence 10 (+0)

Wisdom 10 (+0)

Charisma 10 (+0)

Combat: 6 + 12 = 18PP

Initiative: +0

Attack: +3, +5 melee

Grapple: +9, +29 with powers

Defense: +6 (+6 Base, +0 Dodge Focus), +3 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -2/-12, -15 with Immovable

Saving Throws: 2 + 4 + 7 = 13PP

Toughness: +4/+14 (+4/+10 Con, +4 Protection), Impervious 10

Fortitude: +6/+12 (+4/+10 Con, +2)

Reflex: +4 (+0 Dex, +4)

Will: +7 (+0 Wis, +7)

Skills: 24R = 6PP

Intimidate 12 (+12)

Notice 5 (+5)

Sense Motive 7 (+7)

Feats: 9PP

All-out Attack

Attack Focus [melee] 2

Improved Grab

Improved Pin

Luck

Power Attack

Startle

Ultimate Save (Toughness)

Powers: 22 + 12 + 10 + 10 + 9 + 4 + 21 = 88PP

Enhanced Strength 22 (Superhuman strength) [22PP]

Enhanced Constitution 12 (Superhuman endurance) [12PP]

Immunity 10 (all environmental effects, Fatigue effects) [10PP]

Impervious Extra on Toughness (superhuman toughness) [10PP]

• Base Power: Leaping 8 (x500 distance, 12,500'/2.3 miles per leap, Feats: 1 Alternate Power) [9PP]
    Alternate Power: Speed 2 (25 MPH or 250' per round) [2PP] and Immovable 3 (Extras: Unstoppable) [6PP]

Protection 4 (superhuman toughness) [4PP]

Super-Strength 9 (superhuman strength, heavy load of 6,400 tons, Feats: Bracing, Groundstrike, Shockwave) [21PP]

DC Block:

ATTACK                    RANGE     SAVE                         EFFECT

Unarmed [no powers]       Touch     DC 19 Toughness (Staged)     Damage

Unarmed [with powers]     Touch     DC 30 Toughness (Staged)     Damage

Abilities (16) + Combat (18) + Saving Throws (13) + Skills (6) + Feats (9) + Powers (88) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/150 Power Points

• 2 months later...