Vision in White (IC, Closed)

Supercape

"Do you study magic formally?" Stesha asked with curiosity, her eyes moving as she scanned the room. "With spells, and a magical tradition, things like that? It seems like some magic users do, and some are more like me, who have powers that are magic, but only know how to do one sort of thing, and do it without incantations or study. I've been fascinated with the study of magic, but there are only a few people in the city who are really knowledgeable about that sort of thing."

"Oui Madame, I do" replied Rene. "Or to be honest, I did" he cast his mind back over two centuries, when Broken Crow had first taught him the ways of magic. It seemed so long ago.

"Many years ago, I was taught by the master mage of that time, a man called Broken Crow. It started with simple spells, incantations, all the mumbo jumbo you have heard of. And yes, I know how to do such magic. But magic comes in all shapes, and forms, and bends itself to the particular way of the magician. "

He smiled "for you, for instance, it might come as growth, blossoming, or scent. "

He placed his hands on his chest in a faux-modest manner, but with a warm self-knowing smile still planted on his face. "For me, the magic of the world is that of art, and is through art that my skill with magic truly manifests. Like the stroke of a brush..."

he waved his hand, and between them, a hazy wisp of orange fire briefly flared and streaked across the studio, as though painted onto reality with an invisible and enormous paintbrush.

Stesha's eyes widened for a moment before she laughed, sounding impressed. "It's beautiful," she told him sincerely. "I'd clap, but my hand is full here. I think I see what you mean, though. The magic is there, but you express it in the way that your mind understands best, just like I do. If you can do that, you must be able to paint amazing things. The whole world must be your canvas." She looked thoughtfully at the place where the fire had been. "What's the biggest thing you've ever painted?"

Rene closed his eyes, remembering the Cathederal in Venice. The roof had taken him six months, and he had needed to construct a special magic belt, in case he fell. And he had fallen, fortunately like a wafting leaf rather than a sack of potatoes, thanks to the enchantments he had put in his safety harness.

"Oh nothing, nothing much" he said, twirling his brush "just the odd Cathederal roof" damn this woman, she erodes my modesty. How charming of her! I love it!

He snatched up his paintbrush again, and pointed it in mock ferociousness at Stesha "and no moving! I will not have you mar your perfectly natural beauty!"

He continued daubing. It was coming on nicely.

"Of course, with this" he briefly elevated his brush again "I could paint the whole city red".

He paused, and whispered almost inaudibly, but carefully enough so Stesha could just about hear him.

"Literally".

"Of course," Stesha agreed with mock-contrition, settling into her pose once more with her face warm with amusement. "I'll be still, I promise. But I would love to see your cathedral roof sometime. I really haven't gone to many places, considering how easy it would be these days. I need to get more culture before I'm too busy to go anywhere." She continued looking around the room, her eyes lighting on the various pieces. "Have you ever used a trompe l'oeil painting to fool a villain?" she asked.

"Oui Madame, I have" replied Rene. "Both in the classical sense, and in the not so classical..."

He span his brush and started painting mid air. Between the two heroes, a giant sunflower grew from the ground, erupting from the wooden floor boards and emitting a faint golden glow.

"Viola! un grande illusion!" he smiled "it takes some considerable artistry and magical acumen, but my brush here works as a sort of, 'ow you say... magic wand!"

"Beautiful!" Stesha replied enthusiastically. She knew immediately that it was not a real, living flower, but the likeness was excellent, and it had a lovely symmetrical perfection that was hard to find in natural sunflowers. "You really are very talented. I'm so eager to see what the painting turns out to look like. I thought about just getting photographs taken, but this is so much more special and meaningful. And I really wanted to meet you anyway, so it worked out perfectly."

"Well, come, come have a look!" replied Rene, beckoning her over.

The first draft was complete. It was more of a sketch really, but it had worked out magnificently. It would need a day or two to flesh out to full completeness, but Rene was confident. It had come so naturally to him and Stesha was a magnificent model.

"What do you think?" he asked "It needs more work, of course. You cant capture the light here" he motioned to some sketched arrows indicating the play of light "until it is fully painted, but I think I have captured the essence of the bride to be, Non?"