Circus Freaks

Barnum

"It's nice to meet you, Darla," Daisuke said, bowing slightly before the girl. "Oh!" he exclaimed as he realized the mermaid girl was still there. "It's nice to meet you too."

He turned back to Darla. "So... the skeleton is your brother? Huh. I thought you'd summoned him or something. You know, being a magical girl and all." A quick scan of the room made Daisuke frown. "Don't you have a magical animal? Like a cat or stuffed animal that talks?"

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Don't you have a magical animal? Like a cat or stuffed animal that talks?"

"No," she said with a weak smile. "Just Dale."

After chatting for a few more minutes with Droplet, hearing her story about lost parents and her desire to find them, Darla was convinced that her dad was back asleep and she was ready to move.

"I can teleport us to the park out behind Dale's house. We have a tree house there. That will be a good place for us to meet, and a good place for Droplet to start looking for her parents. You guys ready?"

"No," she said with a weak smile. "Just Dale."

Daisuke slumped slightly in dissapointment. He was so hoping that Darla had a magical animal, or a wand or cards or something. What was a magical girl without those things?

"I can teleport us to the park out behind Dale's house. We have a tree house there. That will be a good place for us to meet, and a good place for Droplet to start looking for her parents. You guys ready?"

"Sure, I'm ready!" Daisuke said excitedly.

She had already done it so many times tonight, the teleporting spell was getting easier. With little fuss and no noise, Darla transported them all to the small, secluded part where the Edwards children had made their tree house. They said their goodbyes to Droplet who immediately headed off to look for her parents (still wearing Darla's clothes . . . not that she wanted them back now). With the mermaid girl gone, Darla climbed into the tree and greeted Dale.

"Hey, Dale." She reached out and patted his head consolingly. "How are you holding up? Strange night, huh?" She laughed a little at that, hoping to lighten the mood and ease the pain of rejection.

Dale walked up to the metal boy and reciprocated his hand shake. This new kid sure was something else. Dale had never seen nore sensed anything like him. He pondered for a moment, before suddenly getting an idea and heading to the back of the tree house and rummaging through a small box. He returns moments later with a small toy, a Transformer. He holds it up to Daisuke, as if to compare the two.

Darla giggled at the comparison.

"He's not a toy, silly boy!" But then in a moment of realization, Darla stopped and looked at the machine boy carefully. "You aren't, are you?"

Darla was trying her best to imagine what he might transform into.

"No! Of course not!" Daisuke squawked indignantly. Then he lightened up and took a good look at the toy. "Although if I was, I'd definitely want to look like that. That's like a Gundam."

Cocking his head to the side, Daisuke considered something for a minute as he stared closely at the Transformer. "You know, that looks a lot like my onii-chan, Renichi."

"Sorry, I meant my big brother." Daisuke put a finger to his chin in thought. "Although he's not actually my brother. I just call him that because he's so cool, and I really wish he was my brother. Anyway, Renichi looks a lot like that that guy," he said while motioning to the transformer. "Well, his face looks a little bit scarier. Like a skull, y'know? But he's really nice once you get past the whole "leave me alone, I just want to mope about" thing."

His face suddenly lit up like the sun as something occurred to him. "We should find him! I found out he came here a while ago, and we could totally surprise him! It'll be great!"

"We should find him! I found out he came here a while ago, and we could totally surprise him! It'll be great!"

"I don't know . . ." Darla sounded very hesitant. Taking in this strange boy was one thing. A road trip was something else entirely. She looked at Dale and then back to the boy. "How far would we have to go?"

"I..." Daisuke's excitement quickly drained away as he realized, "I don't know. He... he didn't tell me." The metal boy sat down heavily, causing the treehouse to creak ominously. "Sorry," he said in embarrassment.

"But we have to find him!" Petulance filled his voice now, underlining his desire to meet up with his hero. "Can't you do some magic, check a crystal ball or something? I mean, you're a magical girl!"

"Can't you do some magic, check a crystal ball or something? I mean, you're a magical girl!"

Darla pressed her lips together and thought hard.

"Maybe," she said finally. "Did you say he looked like this?" She reached over and took the toy out of the metal boy's hand and looked at it. Darla couldn't quite imagine anyone looking like that toy. Sitting down on the floor of the tree house, Darla fished around in her pack until she found her pack of markers. Darla pulled out a black marker, whipped off the lid with her teeth, and put the tip up to the face of the toy. "You said he had a skull for a face, right?" She got ready to begin drawing on the toy when she stopped again. "Do you mind?" she asked, looking at Dale. "When I work magic, things tend to get broken. Your toy might not make it out of this in one piece." Darla tried to smile comfortingly, but she just looked sheepish.

Dale nodded readily, perfectly fine sacrificing his toy for a good cause.

He is so sweet.

Darla smiled at Dale and his desire to be helpful, but she didn't start marking up the toy just yet. She looked it over carefully and thought hard about what she needed to do. Finally . . . "This is going to take some time. Maybe a lot of time . . . and I need to get home before daddy wakes up again." She turned to the mechanical boy. "You can stay here with Dale. Dale, can you bring him some snacks and stuff and maybe a blanket? But be careful, Dale, don't get yourself in trouble. I'll try to have this ready by morning, but I'm not sure. Either way, I'll meet you guys back here after I figure out some way to miss the bus in the morning."

Darla waved to the two boys just before she vanished in a puff of stinky smoke.