The Marvels of Science (IC)

Supercape

Supercape felt the massive and complex shifts in gravity that danced around Dragonflies gauntlets. It would take a professor of quantum mathematics to even begin to understand what actually happened. Fortunately, he was one. And that was all he could actually do: begin to understand. There had been some shift somewhere, and oxygen was coming from somewhere, presumably a reality other than their own. At least that was his guess. He was a little to distracted, and little to exhausted, to really do the maths in his head.

"Necessity really is the mother of invention!" he remarked. "Bravo, Dragonfly! that was quick thinking. You must explain how you did that!...err... maybe now isn't quite the time to go through the maths of course!"

He nodded at Etain "That the Marvels of Science for you, my dear!" he said with a broad grin "can be quite life saving! takes your breath away, or puts it back!"

With a hiss, the simulator suite started to pump back normal atmosphere.

"Decontamination Complete. Prepare for final sweep with cleaner robots"

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keeping close to Dragonfly as it was clear that she was making it so they could breath once more she was inclined to agree that things were looking up. However, with the next voice coming over the intercome she let out a deep sigh,

"Will this be another marvel set to do us harm?"

She turned to look at the great strain and disrepair the female guides gauntlets were taking before turning to Supercape once more,

"You would not happen to have a weapon I may be able to use, a sword maybe, or a pole arm just in case."

"I'm not entirely sure a weapon is required my dear" replied Supercape.

As he spoke, a hatch in the ceiling opened, and two small flying robots came buzzing out, equipped with mechanical arms and various other limbs. They didn't look particularly dangerous, but Supercape knew they were equipped with chemical and laser devices for sterilization of hazardous materials. Normally, they would be no challenge for the hero's, but they were exhausted, ill, and in Dragonfly's case, quite literally burnt out.

Besides, they were expensive.

"This may call for a simple case of concealment, if you can manage it..."

She looked at the robots and let out a sigh,

"I am sorry, but that is not possible. I cannot create nor conceal, only cast shadows of perception and machines cannot perceive."

She looked at the metal things quietly the shrugged her shoulders,

"I can certianly break them if needed, but I am not so strong on my own. So what do you suppose we do with these things."

"Necessity," groused Dragonfly as she screwed in a part, "is the mother of making me damage my own equipment. And risk dangerously bending the laws of physics." She tilted her head, pausing for a moment as atmosphere vented back into the room. "Didn't spawn an uncontrolled event horizon, however. Usually good news." When she was reasonably satisfied that they wouldn't suffocate again she brought the field down and...did not stop the hissing rush of air coming out of her gauntlets.

She frowned, pulling her hands out of the wall to glare at her devices, lights dancing behind her eyes. "Stop that."

They did.

She got back to work.

"I can certianly break them if needed, but I am not so strong on my own. So what do you suppose we do with these things."

Dragonfly didn't even turn around, though her force field - somehow looking just a hair more anemic than normal - twisted into being around her profile. "Good luck. Will be cheering for you. Mostly. Try not to get too hurt. Would appreciate keeping them away from me if at all possible."

"Oh dear" muttered Supercape at Etain's admission. Must be some psychic magic thing... should have guessed... he cursed to himself. Why couldn't magic be more, well, logical?

He eyed the two cleaner bots as the slowly patrolled the simulator suite. He was exhausted, hurt, and rapidly becoming demoralised too. Most of all, he was highly ashamed of the experience Etain was having. What a disaster!

"How long till those repairs are done, Dragonfly? no pressure or anything... If I can just overload their sensors that should delay them for a while..."

She started to tap her fingers on her legs as she looked at the machines. Not really caring for her company since the girl obviously wasn't terribly concerned for her and the male seemed less than sure of himself. Even if she could grant that it has been thoroughly exuasting and stressful for all of them she didn't feel like translating her thoughts,

"Is est radicitus ridiculum, si a molior cannot exsisto doctus ut non vulnero sator is should iustus pereo statim. Singulariter si is does non have basic sentience efficio quisquam tamen a mindlessly insisto presentia procuratio. Talis tutus custodiae custodie should exsisto a prior, est is haud admiratio nos erant prope iuguolo."

Dragonfly scowled, but didn't slow down. "Minimum minute and a--" She growled, pulling a melted hunk of plastic out of the wall and letting it join the mess of useless wires. "Two minutes. At least. Will help if I have to but it would only delay things."

She glanced up at the pair, frowning. "Do wish you luck. For all our sakes."

• 2 weeks later...

"I'm so sorry for putting you in this mess, Etain" mumbled Supercape, honestly and with guilt. "Normally science is safer. And less exciting... to be honest. "

He reached up and an explosion of light hit the corner of the simulator suite where the maintenance bots had begun their patrolled. They swung around, uncertain which direction to attend to, effectively completely lost.

"Not sure how much longer that will hold them. Hopefully long enough for our techno-wizard here to weave those wires into something resembling normal service!"

She turned towards her guide in blue and let out a sigh,

"It is the fault of no one present. There is no real safe since all things have some danger, odds though seem to not like me so much."

She let out another sigh, as she looked at the robots,

"At least it is good that we were the ones to find such a flaw. So many people work here, it would be so bad if someone not as clever stumbled upon this mess."

"Less exciting to you, maybe," Dragonfly grumped, reaching back into the wall for something. "Find getting a new machine to work very satisfying, myself. Still, point."

She grabbed a nearby tangle of wire, pulling and clipping and splicing to rapidly shape one thick, proper cable. "Not usually this dangerous. Best we got involved before someone died. Press would have a field day."

Supercape watched as Dragonfly continued to weave her magic with the arteries and veins of the Lab. He admired her expertise, although her mind seemed, as ever, fairly potty.

Attention deficit disorder? he wondered, distractedly although she seems to concentrate fine. In a rather peculiar way. Probably no name for it...

The lights came back to a soft white glow, as the Simulator Suite rebooted itself.

Reboot complete. Simulator decontamination aborted intoned the pleasant female computer voice, as the two disorientated service bots flew back to the roof hole.

"Nice work" said Supercape softly, wiping sweat from his brow and giving a gently clap of his hands.

Looking at the robots as she left, she gave a sigh of relief.

"Yes, thank you for working out the glitch. Now, may we leave here before something more happens? I think I have had my fill of science for today. Plus, you need to send notification to Claremont Mr. Cape."

She was certian there was like a form or something, and she was not allowed to see it because they did not want her to try and replicate it to try and avoid assignments.

Dragonfly sat back, watching the humming parts do their job properly - or, at least, as properly as she'd been able to manage with what she had to work with - and sighed, flicking her multitool closed again. "Victory," she noted, rather redundantly. "May have to find whoever thought that decontamination was a good idea...and do something unpleasant to their coffee. And review any other projects they've been a part of, here or elsewhere. An accident waiting to happen."

She got up, a little unsteady, and grimaced. "Yes. Looking forward to getting out of this room myself. Will make sure proper, lasting repairs get done at some point. Probably a whole overhaul...mmh. Will lock the door behind us, in any case. Room is not to be trusted."

The simulator suite was big, but Supercape didn't have the energy or inclination to use anything other than his feet to walk out.

"I can safely say" he said, addressing Etain "that when it comes to your form, you will have my signature, with full commendations!"

He dusted off his cape as he spoke. Damn, he ached everywhere. "I can safely say, my dear woman, that you have witnessed the marvels of science. Up to this point, in a less than favourable light. Right now, however, as my body is aching all over and I seem to have electrical burns, I fancy a more positive spin on science. Namely, the medical bay!"

He had to give a relieved chuckle at that.

Following by quickly she only really relaxed when she managed to step out of the simulator. Letting out a light sigh she walked closely behind Supercape to make sure that he was alright. It would be an awful shame if he collapsed before he managed to get treatment.

""

Dragonfly sighed, holding up a hand to get a better look at the damage to her gauntlets now that they were free of the room. Dark and terribly impolite things were muttered in Japanese as she picked at the device, actually managing to pull away a long shard of thick steel plating. "Mmh. Don't think I'll do that again. Going to be a long night doing repairs when we're done here. Vacuum tubes are easy to replace, but metal structures are time-intensive to shape...."