Fair Ladies (IC)

Aoiroo

"We would dance yes, and sing, I very much like singing and play instruments as well. Weeks would go by of us simply going to parties or going out to watch events. One such event my father was fond of where the warriors would fight without magic to see who might receive the prize of a favor from the court. I entered one time, and got very far though I could not beat the older warriors as they were much more tough."

She glanced down at the table for a few seconds trying to imagine her old life, it seemed more like a dream when compared to here. Though she still couldn't figure out which she really prefered,

"But it is not really bad. Culture does not surprise me so much, even if it is different, people can be similiar in other ways. There are very kind people here who do not mind my tendencies, as well as very strong and brave ones who will not back down even in the face of pain or death. It is very wonderous this realm, and it's far more a word I am looking for,"

She tapped her fingers and closed her eyes as she tried to think,

"Different, no that's not right, umm, wavy, explosive, no that's, ohh, dynamic. It is dynamic here."

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

""But it is not really bad. Culture does not surprise me so much, even if it is different, people can be similiar in other ways. There are very kind people here who do not mind my tendencies, as well as very strong and brave ones who will not back down even in the face of pain or death. It is very wonderous this realm, and it's far more a word I am looking for," She tapped her fingers and closed her eyes as she tried to think,

"Different, no that's not right, umm, wavy, explosive, no that's, ohh, dynamic. It is dynamic here."

Lynn shook her head. "No, I think you had it right the first time; this world is plenty wavy and explosive, especially in this town." The older faeling looked thoughtful as she considered the younger (only relatively) girl. "So is it true that Faerie is kinda...stuck in reruns? Y'know, the same stories and themes repeating over and over?"

"Well, it is simply which area. Home is pretty large, different areas like to reflect different based on the fancy of those who live there. It is true that when they find an aspect they like, they copy it and keep it up for long times. The largest section of the 'warm' side, it is fond of the time called Renaissance, the leader because she was amused by a play made during that showed them in a playful light. My parents, they were fond of the trends of the time that they collected me so that is what the section of home where we lived was like, though not exactly."

It was rather interesting since each realm was more a caracture of the times than a real portrayal, always focusing greatly on one element usually the grander and more pretty aspects.

"My parents, they were fond of the trends of the time that they collected me so that is what the section of home where we lived was like, though not exactly."

Lynn chewed her lip a bit at this statement, and drummed her fingers on the table. "Soooooo, when you say 'your parents', you mean...the faeries who raised you over there, right?" She wans't quite sure why this idea disturbed her as much as it did.

"This is right, I believe there is a word for such parents here yes? Foster, no that one is not right,"

Reaching up for her note pad she flipped through,

"Yes, here it is, adopted, my adopted parents. They raised me their, and were very kind. I was very fond of my mother particularly, and she was of me. I really hope she is not very worried about my absense."

"This is right, I believe there is a word for such parents here yes? Foster, no that one is not right,"

"Yes, here it is, adopted, my adopted parents. They raised me their, and were very kind. I was very fond of my mother particularly, and she was of me. I really hope she is not very worried about my absense."

Somehow this just mad it worse; the odd thing was, even though Grim was bascially a faerie herself now, she didn't like the glimpses of faerie culture she'd seen so far.

"What about your biological parents, the ones you were taken from on Earth? Do you even remember them? Have you looked up any of their living decendents?"

"I do not remember, I was really very young. As for living relatives, how would I find them? My second name is not so uncommon as to find a single tree, and the time was not a time when such things were recorded like now."

Closing her notebook she shook her head,

"Honestly, if I were to find relatives what would I say? The diversity here, it allows for such acceptance, but a person who was supposed to of died nearly a century ago appearing to people who would likely have never known anything about anyone who were supposed to be important to her lifetime."

"I do not remember, I was really very young. As for living relatives, how would I find them? My second name is not so uncommon as to find a single tree, and the time was not a time when such things were recorded like now."

"Honestly, if I were to find relatives what would I say? The diversity here, it allows for such acceptance, but a person who was supposed to of died nearly a century ago appearing to people who would likely have never known anything about anyone who were supposed to be important to her lifetime."

Lynn pursed her lips and nodded; she really hadn't thought her question through, and Etain's reply made perfect sense.

"Yeah, okay, fair enough. Huh...I guess I've run out of questions." Then she perked up a bit. "Actually, to really be fair, it's technically your turn." The shapeshifter gestured expansively. "Fire away, missie! I'll let you know if we run into a non-disclosure clause."

Etain actually took a few seconds to think about this, tapping her fingers slightly as she did so. There were a lot of questions, but which ones would make sense to ask.

"What do you think about home, about them?"

It was a stranger question, but she had to ask. There was a strange view about the creatures of her home because they were either considered non existant, or tended to have negative opinions built onto them.

"What do you think about home, about them?"

The tiny brunette grimaced and stared into her empty coffee mug, which she absentmindly filled with glamoured hot cocoa, topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

"Uh, well...to be honest, my experience is very limited...just the one trip, really..." She took a long sip of cocoa and sort of hid behind the foam. At last she sighed and set down the mug with a dull thug, a forgotten spot of whipped cream on the tip of her nose.

"I didn't like them; they all seemed shallow, spiteful and capricous. I felt like I was just...I dunno, like a doll or a plaything, a prop in all their little dramas." She held up her hands protectively. "Just so you know, I might have been in a totally different version of Faerie than the one you grew up in, so my experience might have been, well, totally different."

Etain looked at her and let out a sigh,

"No, that is very accurate."

She sipped her own coffee for a second,

"You were in the winter court yes? It is much more obvious there, the summer, they act more kindly but they share a common nature. They are self serving, and will give only to receive. They will do anything to quell there boredom, and one must act both unexpectedly while staying within the bounds of traditions to stay in good graces. I was lucky that they were rather fond of me, because of my differences and similiarities. It is just, the portrayal here it is strange, because it seems they are shown as either good or bad when in truth they are neither. Such classifications really are too complex for them."

"No, that is very accurate."

"You were in the winter court yes? It is much more obvious there, the summer, they act more kindly but they share a common nature. They are self serving, and will give only to receive. They will do anything to quell there boredom, and one must act both unexpectedly while staying within the bounds of traditions to stay in good graces. I was lucky that they were rather fond of me, because of my differences and similiarities. It is just, the portrayal here it is strange, because it seems they are shown as either good or bad when in truth they are neither. Such classifications really are too complex for them."

Lynn shook her head. "Well apparently I was, uh, 'rebuilt' or 'reborn' or whatever by the Queen of Winter, but when I visited, I was in the Summer Court, or at least a Summer Court. I still haven't met the Queen of Winter, but maybe I should, right?"

She awkwardly cleared her throat.

"So yeah, I went on a series of quests, three of them, natch, and when I was done I got to meet Little Miss Summer Queenie, who was all superior and stuff, and she told my how I was recreated, but not why; to be honest, I don't think she actually knows." She frowned, clearly troubled by the thought.

"I am not allowed to express opinion on the queen, but I will say that is probably accurate. It is likely that they might of forgotten about you, they do that from time to time. You might only hope that they do not approach you again, if only for the sake that a visit might be in order, as I said time there compared to time here is rather fickle and a few days of hospitality might turn into years in this world."

Letting out a sigh she knew all to well how that might happen as she put down her cup,

"Another question, what does a hero do, or what people called heroes do? I have heard a lot since I arrived about them and it has made me a bit curious."

"Another question, what does a hero do, or what people called heroes do? I have heard a lot since I arrived about them and it has made me a bit curious."

The changeling's question actually took Lynn aback, and for several seconds she could only blink in bewilderment.

"What does a hero do?" She scratched the back of her head. "Well, I don't know if I'm really a hero, though I'd like to be, so really I can only answer for me...huh." Her brow furrowed. "I guess you could say...that a hero doesn't accept the world the way it is, y'know? She sees the world's messed up, but rather than saying, 'Oh well, there's always gonna be problems', she decides that not enough."

Idly wiping the whipped cream off her nose, she paused to give the matter further thought.

"A hero decides to do something about the world's problems, y'know, actively; she goes out there and faces the challenges head-on, using whatever powers or skills she has to try and make it better." She shrugged. "And you don't always pull it off; sometimes you accidentally make things worse, which really sucks, but you keep on going at it, because you can't give up. It's like your heart won't let you."

Etain listened to her speak, smiling softly as she did. She only waited until she had finished before she finished her coffee and said with a breath,

"That is absolutely insane."

She let out a laugh,

"But it is very human. It is the reason why humans fascinate them so much is there will to impose change. That is just something they do not do, as long as I was there, home has never changed."

Moving her hand through her hair absently, she started to think.

"I have asked you two questions so far, how many do I have left I wonder."

"That is absolutely insane."

Lynn frowned at this, unsure if the younger woman was making fun of not just her but alos all her friends and teammates as well. She crossed her arms tightly across her chest, clearly annoyed.

"But it is very human. It is the reason why humans fascinate them so much is there will to impose change. That is just something they do not do, as long as I was there, home has never changed."

Ugh, Grim didn't like the sound of that at all; it reminded her of countless sci-fi and fantasy movies where the condescending aliens or elves or whoever treated humans like they were retarded or something, because of their horrible wars and immaturity as a species. She always wanted to sock those uppity snobs in the mouth.

"I have asked you two questions so far, how many do I have left I wonder."

"Well you can ask as many as you want," the shapeshifter responded hotly. "As long as you don't mock my very human tendancy to want to make the world a better place. God forbid I might not like the status quo of suffering and ignorance, and actually want to do something about it."

Etain looked at her strangely,

"Does being called human insult you?"

She took a few seconds to tap her fingers,

"Do you think it is a weird comparison? I think my view is a bit narrow, but I do not know who else changes and accepts change so readily."

She reached into her purse and pulled out a small orange cell phone,

"Not so long this was supposed to be very good, now it is not good because something new is already available and it has only been a few months. This does not happen where I am from, with whom I am with, and it does not happen in many other realms which remain the same for centuries on end with little or difference. The people here, they change too, some in rather strange ways that makes very interesting people yet they are not feared, or excluded as easily as they would be quickly killed elsewhere."

She let out a sigh, before she looked Lynn in the eye,

"I know what I say, it seems a bit contradictory, to call an idea insane defend it, but the fact that you want to change I do not object to. But to go against odds, beings and creatures more powerful without certianty that what you're doing will bring about what is good, that is what I think is crazy. I think one should be sure about what they do, though in a world where right and good is also everchanging, I guess it is harder to do things with certianty."

"I know what I say, it seems a bit contradictory, to call an idea insane defend it, but the fact that you want to change I do not object to. But to go against odds, beings and creatures more powerful without certianty that what you're doing will bring about what is good, that is what I think is crazy. I think one should be sure about what they do, though in a world where right and good is also everchanging, I guess it is harder to do things with certianty."

Lynn gripped the edge of the table and scrunched up her eyes in frustration; it was like trying to teach a monkey how to play checkers.

"Look, I don't know how things were back in 'Faerieland', but here among the humans, who by the way I'm proud to be a part of despite my, well, current lack of humanity, we've had to fight for everything. Against nature, against the laws of physics but mostly against ourselves. It's how we've evolved and changed, though admittedly not always for the best; I mean, that's the price you pay for not being in some kind of weird messed-up static/limbo place, which I guess is what Faerie is."

She chuckled ruefully.

"And now I guess it's my turn to be insulting; sorry." The dimunitive brunette vigourously rubbed her face with her hands. "Bleh! Okay, so humans are crazy and our so-called 'heroes' are the craziest of all, but they're the ones who make use great; them and the artists, I guess. Next question!"

She looked at the woman in front of her and slid a little bit down the bench,

"I did not mean to insult you, I can leave now if you like."

Dusting off her skirt she glanced thoughtfully at the brunnette before rising. It wasn't like this was a new occurance, one or two of her teachers didn't like her tone, sometimes she annoyed other students with her questions. Maybe she was looking at it from the wrong perspective, but than again she didn't know anything else to call it.

"I did not mean to insult you, I can leave now if you like."

In a flash, Lynn was out of her seat and laying a gentle hand on Etain's sleeve. "Hey, no, look...it's cool; it's just, y'know, an adjustment, trying to see things from your point of view." She took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

"The thing of it is, if you're gonna live among humans, you need to learn more about them, right? Their strange rituals and customs, all that jazz." She held a hand to her chest, the very picture of sincerity. "I am in a unique position to help you with that; I'm totally serious."

Looking around the cafe, Lynn shook her head. "Maybe what we need is to find a better place to meet, for like your 'humanity lessons' or whatever. Is there somewhere you like to hang out where we could, like, meet from time to time? No pressure or anything, I just, y'know, want to help out a fellow freak." She grinned. "And that's definitly not an insult, coming from me. So how 'bout it?"

Glancing back at the woman she gave her a bright smile,

"I would like that yes. School teaches me lots of things, but I cannot ask as many things as I like. They have to be on topic is what I have been told."

Grabbing the notebook she started to scribble on it,

"I live at school during the week, it makes it easy to go to class, but on weekends I live with my gaurdians. You can come to see me on Saturdays."

Taking a second she slowly and neatly tore at the edges leaving a straight line for the paper,

"That has my number for this as well."

Reaching down she held up the cell phone which she had left on the table and slipped into her purse.

"During the week, I have class and am tutored, though sometimes I go on day trips instead."

"I would like that yes. School teaches me lots of things, but I cannot ask as many things as I like. They have to be on topic is what I have been told."

"I live at school during the week, it makes it easy to go to class, but on weekends I live with my gaurdians. You can come to see me on Saturdays."

"That has my number for this as well."

"During the week, I have class and am tutored, though sometimes I go on day trips instead."

Lynn happily accepted the paper and nodded. "Cool! Oh, here." She flicked her fingers like a street magician, and an embossed business card appeared in her fingertips. "Got my cell number right on there." The card read:

Grimalkin

The Mistress of Mystery!

Crimefighting and children's parties

555-357-1968

"Y'know, gimme a call if you wanna hang, or like the world is on fire and stuff; I am equally happy drinking coffee or punching evil in the face."

The shapeshifter pulled out her cellphone to check the time, and then cringed. "Oh man, I told my fiance I'd make him dinner tonight, as in real food made from scratch; I better motor." She held out her small hand. "Nice to meecha, Etain."

Etain took the card and let out a giggle as she read it. Reaching out to the strange woman she smiled brightly,

"It was a pleasure to meet you as well."

Grabbing her hand she gave it a squeeze and started on the way out. Reaching for her phone, she found that there were several texts there and when she looked at the time she figured out why.

Picking up her skirt she started to sprint to the mall entrance so as not to keep them waiting, though she couldn't say she regretted today's delays.