The Odd Couples (IC)

Lone Star

Corbin chuckled at Jessica's joke.

"Well. Again, I'd have to hire a teleporter or something to get us around that quickly. Maybe one day I'll be able to fly that fast, but not yet."

Corbin blushed deeply as Quo-Dis placed her hand on his thigh.

...He didn't move the hand just yet, though.

"Well, it's not like Blake can't put the wings away. And besides, we all know I clearly have the best look. I can change it on the fly! Besides, Blake and I already had a contest for cooler powerset. We decided it was a draw."

His tone carried no malice, and his grin bore out the the friendly nature of his light teasing. Then Quo-Dis spoke about genetic impurities. His face froze in...well, it wasn't horror or shock, not by this point. It was more his brain working furiously to devise an answer. Finally, he started speaking, his voice staying just low enough it shouldn't reach beyond their table. His tone wasn't angry or indignant, just patient.

"Things like genetic impurities don't matter to most people, Quo-Dis. I mean, just about any parent won't care if their kid will need glasses for poor vision, or a hearing aid, or will go bald at 25, or things like that. Even the more severe cases, things like Down's syndrome, don't prevent people from loving the children they have. We don't throw people out for those things; it's just part of the human condition. We certainly don't deny people the right to mate. We believe in freedom, which includes freedom to mate. That's not to say that scientists aren't looking for ways to treat and reverse those things; just the opposite. But the goal isn't to dictate who can and can't have children; it's to secure a better, healthier future for any and all children.

We've...had a bad history, as a species, with people who talk about excluding those with "genetic impurities". We learned our lesson, for the most part. After all, the need for glasses doesn't define a person's entire being, just like other flaws don't make someone less of a person."

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quo-Dis didn't look convinced, but she did subside a bit. "I suppose that works for your people," she finally said, "just as our way works for my people." So much for choosing your mates freely, she thought irritably. Why couldn't a society that practiced such free love practice some of that free love with her? "I certainly don't want you to think I have any sympathy for the monsters who've caused so many problems for your people," she said, looking at him earnestly. She hadn't mentioned her cousin to him, and she wasn't likely to do so now. She squeezed his thigh imploringly, batting her big blue eyes. "What can I do to make it up to you?"

Corbin blinked, and barely avoided slapping his palm against his face.

'You royal idiot, you made her think you thought she sympathized with Nazis! You're a horrible person! Horrible!'

He reached down with one hand and squeezed Quo-Dis's hand that was on his thigh.

" I should apologize. I implied something I didn't mean to, or maybe you inferred an implication, or something. I don't believe you at all sympathize with such figures. Quite the contrary, in fact. I think we're just facing one of those cultural differences here. I think you'll pick up what I meant soon enough."

Then she asked how should could make things up to him. He stared at those big blue eyes, batting at his, and was entranced. Slowly, he spoke once more. Surely, his eloquence would stun this otherworldly beauty in front of him!

"Uh..."

Jessica stayed diplomatically quiet as Corbin and Quo-Dis sorted out more of the culture clashes that seemed to be popping up around the girl. She was suddenly glad that she was dating another human being. She and Blake might come from different worlds in some ways, but compared to Quo-Dis they might've lived the exact same lives. At least she didn't have to worry that her boyfriend was going to sound like a neo-Nazi or something else equally ridiculous.

As Quo-Dis was making Corbin fumble around, the waiter returned and began removing the plates and cutlery. She leaned back to give the waitress easier access, speaking over her arms to the others at the table. "So. There's a new coffee shop/gelatto place that opened up in Riverside. Anyone up for a little dessert?"

Blake smiled and nodded at Jessica. "Sounds like a fantastic idea. I could use something sweet." He squeezed Jessica's thigh gently and winked at her. Inside he had fears for Corbin. He would have to call him about it later. It was hardly his fault he picked her, nor her fault for being raised the way she was. Blake had some talking to do with Corbin, for sure.

"I'd love dessert," said Quo-Dis with a warm smile, not taking her eyes off Corbin. Maybe a more confident boy would have taken her to bed and had something wise to say just now, but she rather liked the power she had over him this way. It was...cute, she decided, and so was he. "Do you like cherries, Corbin?" she asked him ingenously, remembering a conversation she'd overheard Zarana have with her on-again off-again boyfriend Mark. "Because I love cherries."

Corbin was feeling just a mite uncomfortable at this point.

'Why is it so warm in here. I thought these pants were the right size a minute ago. I have no idea what to say! She's talking about cherries! Pretty girl! Hubbah hubbah!'

Clearly his brain wasn't getting any more rational. Finally, that tiny voice of self-control in the back of his head manages to punch its way forward enough to let Corbin speak coherently.

"Uh...well, that is...Dessert. Dessert is good. I like dessert. Especially chocolate. But cherries are good. I like cherries on a sundae. Or in pie. I like pie. Pie is good. Cherries are good."

He pauses, and whispers so that hopefully only Quo-Dis hears him.

"You're really pretty."

Blake gulps. He quickly stands up from the table, holding Jessica's hand as he dusts his jacket off. "Well! Let's get going, shall we? It's getting late- we wouldn't want to get there while they're closing would we?" Blake gives Corbin a "I tried!" look, along with the subtlest of shrugs, hoping Quo-Dis wouldn't notice. He really wanted to know what Corbin thought of Quo-Dis, her weirdness and all. It would have made him uncomfortable to be in his shoes, and he was trying his best to alleviate the discomfort the rest of the group was no doubt feeling.

Jessica stood up quickly, caught off-guard by Blake's sudden need for gelato and Corbin's apparent loss of speech. She walked close to Blake as they exited, glancing over her shoulder at his friend, but decided against commenting on it. Once they were outside, she clung close to her boyfriend, partly for warmth and partly because she could. "Okay! So this place is over in Riverside. How are we gonna do the separate cars?" She glanced at her boyfriend. "Blake? Do you wanna ride with me?"

Blake put an arm around her waist, returning the affection. "I think that'd probably be good. Let's go." Blake said as he walked Jessica to her car. He waved at Corbin and his date, telling them he'd see them there. He quickly hopped into the passenger's seat, and as soon as Jessica shut the door, Blake had to say something. "So is this date as weird for you as it is for me? Not us, of course...but yeah. Can we talk about this? 'Cuz this is freaking me out, and it's not she's not even my date." Blake hesitated for a moment, and then kissed Jessica on her cheek. "I'm glad you're normal." :D

Jessica busied herself with punching in the address in Riverside into her GPS, and smiled at Blake's kiss, patting his knee in return. "I am the normal one in this relationship," she said. "My fetish is mainly hardware -- you're the one that grows tentacles." She rolled slowly past Corbin's car, flashing her high-beams at him and waving. She drove past carefully and made sure that the other teen was following her before exiting the restaurant's parking lot. "But yeah, Quo-Dis is really weird. Did you notice how she went from 'what is this thing called kissing,' to total vamp mode in two seconds? Do you think that's normal for her people?"

"I guess so. Alien cultures develop differently, obviously, but that was just way too strange. I really hope Corbin doesn't stay with her. I don't imagine her people know what romance is." Blake said, looking out the window. "We just have to survive this one date with her, and I'll talk to Corbin. He's obviously uncomfortable with her- he should probably leave her for the other hound dogs of Claremont to take care of. Not that I don't understand her situation- it's not her fault she was raised that way, but Corbin needs to find someone he can be romantic with, not...yeah." Blake said, scratching his forehead.

Jessica gave her boyfriend a cockeyed look. "I don't know about all that," she told Blake. "Quo-Dis is weird, sure, sure she's not, ya know, evil. I mean, it's not like he's dating, I dunno, Rave, or one of the Psions or something. She's got some weird ideas, but that's just how she was raised. It's not her fault." The came to a traffic light and Jessica checked that Corbin's car was still behind them. "It's not right to dictate who people should be able to be with. Even if you have the best of intentions, it's not going to end well."

Blake sighed. "You're absolutely right. I guess I'm just trying to look out for my friend. It's his choice. And hey, it can't be that bad for him, can it?" Blake said, his face suddenly lighting up. "I mean...cough cough." he said, barely trying to conceal a smile. "If nothing else, he'll have some fun." Blake sighed and rested his head on his girlfriend's shoulders. "To be fair, I'm glad you're normal. I can't imagine what would happen if we were both crazy."

Quo-Dis was pensive in the car, watching the little humans going about their brief lives through the window as Corbin drove them. Maybe I should date girls, she thought. They seem easier to understand than boys. But that was a matter for another day, and she turned back to Corbin. "You have very strong values, Corbin. That's not something a lot of people our age have, even teen heroes. I admire that about you." And it was true, even if she had other things going on in her mind. "I've spent my whole life learning the values of my people through long, long hours of instruction. It's not easy to understand how other people think." She reached over and put her hand on his thigh casually. "Do you think your friends think I'm a freak? Most people do." she said frankly.

The cold night air had helped clear Corbin's head a bit, and calm down his racing heart. During the drive, he'd noticed Quo-Dis's sudden change in mood, but gave her time to think it through.

"Thank you, Quo-Dis. I'm sorry for any mixed signals I've been giving you. It's just that we haven't gone on more than a couple of dates; I'd...I dunno. This is an awkward subject in some ways for me, so I'd been kind of putting it off for another couple of dates."

He smiled a bit.

"I've spent my whole life learning my values. Mostly from my parents; it's just that a lot of the lessons were from me watching them. I look at them, and I see the kind of thing I want in my life, you know? That's why I was so insistent in there; not because I find you unattractive, but because I have a clear picture in my head...Though I suppose such things change over time. As for understanding how other people think..."

He gave a rueful shake of his head.

"There are days I don't understand my own thought processes. Understanding others can be even tougher, so I sympathize with you there. All I can say is that observation tends to teach me better than lectures and reading from books."

At her question, he frowned, his hands tightening on the wheel a bit.

"If they do, I'll punch them upside the head. You listen and you listen good, Quo-Dis."

He suddenly pulled over to the side of the road and turned to face her, his eyes fierce with an inner fire of conviction.

"You. Are. Not. A. Freak. Don't you ever let yourself think that. Doesn't matter what anyone else says. You're just you, you understand? People who resort to the label "freak" for someone are lazy cowards who can't be bothered to try understanding someone. It's fine to disagree about opinions and lifestyles; it's part of the human condition. But objectifying someone by calling them a "freak"? No. Hell no. You're a beautiful girl, you're your own person, and that's that. If I ever say different, you have permission to hit me upside the head. I promise I'll be able to take the hit."

With that, he peeled out getting back on the road, trying to make up time as they caught up with the others, now not far from their destination.

Jessica had to slow down when Corbin pulled off the road, and was on the point of turning around and going back when he merged into traffic again. Some defensive driving on her part and some offensive driving on Corbin's brought them closer, and the convoy arrived in Riverside together. There wasn't any street parking -- at least, none for her truck -- and she had to park at a raised structure at the end of the block. She parked the truck and made a beeline around to Blake, slipping under his coat and hugging him towards her, only partly for the heat. "We should hurry over there," she said, giving her boyfriend a peck on the cheek, "or we're going to find the car all steamed up and Corbin hating himself in the morning."

Blake slipped an arm under his girlfriend's waist, kissing her back on her forehead. "It's bound to happen eventually." Blake said with a huge grin. "I didn't know Corbin could pick 'em so well. Just kidding!" he said, mock-flinching. "Yeah, we should probably get over there before things get interesting, though." Blake said, bringing Jessica a little closer.

Their pace slowed, a necessity when so many legs were in proximity. "We should hurry," she agreed. "It'd be terrible if they were left alone for too long." She stopped suddenly, pulling Blake to a halt and pushing him up against one of the concrete supports that made up the structure of the parking garage. She leaned in and kissed him full on the lips, slow and hot. "They'd be forced to make conversation." She kissed Blake on the cheek and jawline. "That'd be horrible," she whispered in his ear, then gave him a light bite on the sensitive lobe.

Blake smiled and grabbed her waist, pulling her close. "You're never this aggressive. I love it." Blake kissed her warmly, sliding his tongue into her mouth. He smiled beneath their kiss, glad to be so close to her. It was also delightfully warming on such a cold night. He stroked her hair with one hand as his other rubbed her back. He broke the kiss for a single moment, long enough to say "You're an awesome kisser." and continued the kiss.

Across the way, Quo-Dis caught sight of what the two other teenagers were doing as she and Corbin approached. Yes! she exulted. I'm not the only one who wants to do that! She grabbed Corbin by the collar and pulled herself up to his level, planting a firm, passionate kiss on his lips. "You beautiful man," she told him when she was done, floating up to look him challengingly in the eye. "I'm glad we talked." She grinned. "So, do your morals include paying for a lady's gelato?"

Corbin's surprise as Quo-Dis suddenly floated up a few inches was enhanced when she kissed him. Of course, surprise soon changed to enjoyment. After all, he hadn't said they couldn't kiss or anything...

When they were finished, there was a goofy grin on his face.

"I guess that cheesy speech wasn't so bad after all. And, uh, thanks."

He offers her his left arm, a mischievous grin on his face. He guided the two of them towards the blissful couple.

"Why my dear lady, my morals certainly do include paying for my companion's gelato."

He glanced around, and when they were fairly close to Blake and Jessica, he used a gentle push from his TK to tap Blake on the shoulder.

"Are we leaving you two out here, or shall we all go in?"

Blake opened his eyes as he felt a tap on his shoulder, and couldn't help but flash back to the date where they were caught making out by a police officer. Blake immediately broke the kiss, and blurted (his arms still around Jessica) "I was giving her mouth-to-mouth, officer!" When he saw Corbin and Quo-Dis standing not too far away, Blake sighed in relief. "Oops. Yeah, going in would be a good idea...right now." Although Blake was blushing, he wasn't embarrassed. Getting caught seemed to be a part of their dates.

Jessica broke of the kiss and tuned to face the other couple. She flashed them a bright smile, apparently unconcerned with having been 'caught'. "Hey, you two! The place is right over here." The quick make-out session had left her flushed and quite warm, so she technically didn't need to walk so close to Blake -- but she did anyway.

The sign proclaimed the store to be Italian Coffee & Creme, with a neon tower of Pisa that constantly leaned and righted itself. Inside it looked like any of a thousand Starbucks clones, albeit with a brighter color scheme and more low-slung chairs. The interior was heated by a couple of art deco fireplaces and plenty of patrons, and Jessica finally slid away from Blake. Their fingers stayed intertwined though, as they joined the queue in front of the ordering counter.

The young woman ran her eyes over the menu and made an appreciative sound. "The only question," she said aloud, "is to get coffee first, or ice cream?"

Inside, Quo-Dis was all business, taking Corbin's hand as she placed her order with him, then joining the others at their table. She was just sitting down when suddenly she bolted upright, her pretty blue eyes wide as she stared at nothing. "No! No, this is NOT a good time!" she yelled at nothing. "Vril take it, Ru-Sa-" Suddenly, she stopped. Blushing pink, she quieted when she realized everyone was staring at her, and bolted for the door, a look of intense concentration and teenage fury on her face as all the diners stared after her!