The Odd Couples (IC)

Lone Star

Blake's eyebrows raised. "I didn't know you were interested in art, Quo-Dis. I'm a freelance artist when I can get some time, and your date is a pretty handy artist himself. There are a lot of museums downtown." Blake said as he moved his hand over Jessica's. As much as he enjoyed the museums, he figured Corbin could take her. Another double date with Quo-Dis would probably be the end of him, especially with Sa-Ur staring him and Jessica down.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, she thought, a slight edge in her mental voice. I'm as embarrassed as you are, but I can't control what my mother does and doesn't do. Things will be fine as long as no one gets set-off again. If she does ask you, give her the same speech you gave me. She'll understand that it's your culture at work.
Corbin's mental "facial expression" softened.

'I shouldn't have snapped at you. Your mother's sudden appearance isn't your fault. It's just been a slightly stressful night. I had no right at all to take it out on you, and for that I apologize. Despite our earlier misunderstanding, I've been enjoying our time itself. Anything else isn't due to your actions. I promise I'll make it up to you...somehow.'

He re-focused on the conversation at hand as Blake talked art. Corbin brightened up a bit, hearing a subject that interested him.

"There are a lot of great sculptors represented at the local museum. Putting aside the likes of Da Vinci and Michaelangelo, they've got a couple of Berninis, a couple of Sluter replicas, and even a piece by Auguste Rodin! And that's just scratching the surface! It's history and art packaged together; probably one of the most awesome things possible!"

Congratulations, Quo-Dis. Your boyfriends a history geek and an art geek.

Sa-Ur and Quo-Dis were both interested in that line of talk, despite Corbin's fears about his attractiveness to the ladies as seen through the matrix of his interests. The two women actually settled into a spirited debate over the relative merits of human art, Quo-Dis nobly defending the idea that impermanent beings could create permanent works of majesty, while Sa-Ur was more inclined to gently suggest that perhaps humans needed so many new works of art because their greatest accomplishments couldn't stand the test of more than a few centuries without falling to pieces entirely. There was no serious acrimony between mother and daughter, but the debate did go on for so long that the teen heroes realized that the night was coming to an end!

Jessica didn't find art the most interesting topic, but she knew how much it meant to Blake so she did her best to pay attention. Still, even with the caffeine the late night began to tell on her and she found herself yawning into the back of her hand. She grinned sheepishly at the rest of the ground, knowing that it wasn't the best etiquette but unable to stop another yawn from making her jaw creak. She squeezed Blake's knee and leaned close to kiss him on the lips, then stood up. "I think I'm just about done, folks. It was very nice meeting you Corbin, Quo-Dis. Sa-Qr." She smiled down at Blake, one hand still on his shoulder. "If I go home, will you be able to get back to Claremont?"

Jessica didn't find art the most interesting topic, but she knew how much it meant to Blake so she did her best to pay attention. Still, even with the caffeine the late night began to tell on her and she found herself yawning into the back of her hand. She grinned sheepishly at the rest of the ground, knowing that it wasn't the best etiquette but unable to stop another yawn from making her jaw creak. She squeezed Blake's knee and leaned close to kiss him on the lips, then stood up. "I think I'm just about done, folks. It was very nice meeting you Corbin, Quo-Dis. Sa-Qr." She smiled down at Blake, one hand still on his shoulder. "If I go home, will you be able to get back to Claremont?"

Blake stood up, and wrapped an arm around her waist. "I really ought to be heading back as well. Lovely meeting you, Quo-Dis and Sa-Ur. Peace out, Corbin." Blake said as he held his fist out for a bump. As Blake walked out of the gelato store, he kissed her on the cheek. "Well...that was unusual."

Corbin gave a smile to Jessica. His stray thought may or may not be picked up by Quo-Dis.

'Nice girl. Seems like she's good to Blake. I like her. Hope they stay happy for a long time.'

"It was excellent meeting you, Jessica. Thank you for joining us for the evening. You and Blake stay safe out there on the road."

To Blake, he gave a smile and a firm fist-bump.

"Take care, buddy. Thanks for helping set tonight up."

Once they had left, he turned to face his girlfriend...and her mother. He shifted a bit in his seat.

"It is getting later in the evening. Um. I guess I could give Quo-Dis a ride back to the school, if that's alright with you, Ma'am?"

"I've seen what I needed to see," answered Quo-Dis' mother, the raven-haired beauty rising to her feet with a regal look on her face. She and Quo-Dis studied each other for a moment, something undetectable to the others passing between them, before they exchanged brief bows. To the others, she said, "Thank for your hospitality. It has been very pleasant for me to observe your cultural practices." It was an obvious formality, but a polite one for all that. With that, she simply turned and walked out the door where she'd come from, vanishing a second later.

"Well...that was exciting!" said Quo-Dis, trying to keep up a good face on what had been a difficult night. Taking Corbin's arm, she said, "Yes, let's go back to the school!" In a whisper, she said with a little smile, "And we can talk about what I won't do when we meet your mother..."

Corbin politely inclined his head to Sa-Ur.

"I am glad we were able to help your observation. Safe journeys."

When she was gone, he visibly relaxed, giving Quo-Dis a smile. He secured their connected arms and led the two of them out towards where they had parked.

"Exciting is one word, for sure. As for you meeting my mother...well. I suppose it's only proper. We can iron out the details on the way."

It wasn't long before they were on the road, heading back to Claremont in all due time.