Fractures [IC]

"Oh, believe me, dearest, I have asked myself those very questions countless times!" He turned around so he could lean back against her, tilting his head so he could look up at her. "If it is still in me, it is only those parts that I do require. I still feel as energized as ever, as creative, as quick-witted; I have experienced no lassitude. My mind is whole -- all the parts are there, but none dominate any other. I still have the drive, the energy, provided by my id, but all the baser instincts and gross desires it embodies are firmly under the thumb of my conscientious superego."

This was not entirely false. The Other in Archeville's mind did represent many of the same things a person's id does -- dark, chaotic, neurotic, instincts -- but it also represented something far, far older than anything in human thought processes. Without its overt presence, Archeville was at long last the man he'd be if he'd never had the Other in him, if perhaps a bit giddier than usual, the way anyone who'd been freed from lengthy torture would be jubilant at a newfound freedom.

"As for scans," he reached up, took her hands in his, and gently laced the tips of her fingers on his forehead, "I have seen Scarab twice since it happened, and she has found no unusual activity, no sign of a second consciousness in me. She was, of course, equally concerned about it all, but as near as she can tell, whatever happened to me at the Faretti's has freed me!"

And now I can do so! Much! MOAR!!!

"I really do need to talk to those two again," he said idly, "see if I can get their help on my studies of 'magic.'"

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Well, that's good then," she replied to the various examinations and scans. "If everything looks good, and The Scarab will sign off on you, I can too." She kissed him on the forehead.

Sighing, she continued thoughtfully, "I'm very happy the Other is gone. I always had this nagging doubt about what part of any given behavior or response was authentically you or some darker portion." Looking him straight in the eye, she added, "Now don't you dare feel bad about that. It just happened. Now it's over."

Her face brightened at his mention of magic. "So you've having a look into the whole abracadabra nonsense? Dug up anything interesting so far? Amazingly diverse subject from what I've seen."

I have had all those concerns, and more, my darling. Dd my Other only stay with you to see what power it could siphon off? To see how long he could manipulate someone?

Archeville nodded, a frown flickering across his face for the barest fraction of a moment, then he smiled and chuckled again. "I am, yes, though it is going quite slow. Seems it is quite hard to find practitioners who are both reliable and willing to come forth, no matter how much I offer in compensation." He let out a soft sigh, "I suppose my own reputation may be partly to blame for that, but, if I keep at it, I am sure I can figure out something. Clearly there is something there, more than just standard mutations and alien gadgets and otherdimensional entities, but what it is, I am still in the dark on. I do wish the Farettis would return my calls, they would be an immense help in this endeavour."

They talked on into the night, about the past, the present, and the future; about projects each was working on, recent battles and superhero team-ups, how their relatives were doing, and many other things. He made some oblique reference to moving in together, but they were either too subtle for Mona to pick up on, or else she did get them, but chose to avoid the topic (but kept it in mind, so she'd know how to respond when he finally did outright ask her, some months later). He also mentioned his plans to go back to Germany in three days, for the two-week-long Oktoberfest, and invited her along; as with the first time Archeville brought her to is homeland, many interesting times were had.

But one night, after falling to sleep in one another's arms after a lengthy and tender night of lovemaking, something not human rose from their bed, turned, and regarded Mona Teymourian with cold, black, bulging eyes.

Love? A blip on the monitor of involuntary human response. A hiccup of emotion when compared with envy, hatred, lust. I could make things that would give me more satisfaction.

The figure shuffled off quietly.

When dawn broke, a smiling Archeville walked in, with breakfast in bed for the two lovers.