Ablative Protection

Kavos

How is the Ablative flaw on Protection? Thematically it fits the character but I've never used it before.

The kind of protection I was thinking is sort of like a wall of force... say a bullet hits the wall (protection), stopping the bullet, but the wall is cracked (aka ablative) (and if taking to much damage shatters like glass) however given a free moment the character can 'heal' the wall if it hasn't been destroyed yet.

Is that possible? or am I over complicating it?

I...don't recommend Ablative, myself, having used it on my gadgeteer's force field for a while. It has a bad habit of failing you at the worst possible times, and it's extra stuff to try to keep track of in the thread (though, as extra stuff goes, it's not so bad).

That said, it is thematically appropriate for many things, including what you describe. I may be wrong (anyone, please correct me if I am) but 'a free moment' here would be a round - if you wanted to 'heal' your wall of force you'd have to bring it down, wait until your next turn, and then bring it back up. Those are free actions, but you go a round without your toughness, which can suck. It saves you points, but it costs you.

Hmm ok thanks for the info, I'll have to think about it.

Without creating another thread, another question... What does Immunity to Fatigue effects entitle? Does that only protect you from others making you Fatigue, or the hole deal (running all out, power stunting ext.)?

Immunity means you automatically pass any check or save against the listed effect, so Immunity to Fatigue protects you from the Fatigue power, as well as anything else that induces a fatigued condition (like running all out for extended periods), or the fatigue (though not the Con loss) from exposure to excessive cold or heat, or starvation/dehydration. Since Extra Effort simply imposes the fatigued condition on you, with no save, Immunity to Fatigue does NOT protect you from that fatigue. (Also, it'd be ridiculously broken for a 5pp Immunity to make you immune to the negative consequences of using Extra Effort.)

I'm not sure how long it'd take to recover a damaged Ablative Protection/Force Field effect. Ablative is very similar to the Fades Flaw, and that says it takes an hour to recover completely.

Thanks doc. I thought the Fatigue might of been like that, but I wasn't sure. (and I was thinking the same about it being broken if it included extra effort.)

And as for the Ablative, I think I may skip it, seems to be a bit to much trouble for its worth. (besides one can technically use what I said before as a descriptor, that 'auto-heals' every round anyway without getting bogged down with numbers and game mechanics.)

Hmm another question I was meaning to ask but forgot :oops: .

With Arrays, How do powers like Dimensional pocket work? Since the effect is instance, but the 'other dimension' isn't. So can DP be within an array without spilling its contents whenever you change the array?