Black Markets are easy to find(IC)

Flare Knight

The whirling of sirens and honking of horns as the police, EMTs and fire made their way to the scene in their respective vehicles, the two heroes began their movement of the rubble. Working together, they quickly removed massive piles of rubble and glass, they tear through what had originally been four stories of apartments rather easily, as the workers come to aid, though doing less, their work is just as earnest. Only a short time passes as the groups work together, and, eventually, as they near the bottom of the pile, the entire group, as one, removes a massive side of wall, with two holes that are cut-out images of a person's palms punched through it in it, and find the Unconscious, but breathing, Powerhouse under it. He's covered in dust and his eyes are closed, and his hands are scratched, but he's obviously still alive, and only a little worse for wear.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dragonfly sighed, leaning back against one of the rubble piles as the medics did what they do best. She didn't really have the energy to be furious anymore, but she still turned a frustrated eye toward where the - her - powersuits had been last she'd seen them. would be nice if I could track them - suits weren't designed to be subtle - still, leave very little in the way of energy trails - power source shifted - mm - could smack my younger self - didn't know any better - shame they fly so fast

She blinked. Shame they fly so fast....

She heaved herself back upright, dusting off her hands and turning to face any of the building residents that were still hanging around. "Did any of you own CB radios?" she called out, hopefully. "Older the better. Will replace it - new or custom version - if I can...borrow parts."

Push kept his scarf up and tuque fairly low over his eyes, kneeling down to examine Powerhouse. He didn't exactly have any medical experience or anything like that, but the guy had taken a building for him, and for that he owed the guy.

Unconscious...must've taken a few bricks to the noggin. Heh. A building falls on the guy, and he takes a nap, un-frakkin'-believable.

He checked the man's pulse like he'd seen them do on TV. Heart was beating (he thought), and he was breathing. Push delivered a couple of light slaps to the man's cheek, leaning over and speaking to the supine hero.

"Hey, come on, wakey-wakey. No time to be lyin' down on the job, aye?"

As the entire group of people continued their movements, making sure the people were okay, and, when Dragonfly asked for a CB Radio, a passing policeman gestured to his car, taking off his cap to wipe the sweat off his head. "You can use the one in my car. If you make sure not to break it too much. I still need it." He explained, pointing out the car, closest to the collapse and the first one on the scene. "If at all possible, it would be great if you can just make it the same way it was before." He explained, before going back to his work.

The only thing Powerhouse knew as he strained to hold the building was that it was really hard to balance and entire building on his bare hands. So as his hands sunk into the brick, then through it, making holes for both his hands as he did so, unfortunately, he couldn't cover his head as the building fell on his face and made him see stars. He was ready to keep trying to lift it up, then the rest of the building collapsed on him.

Pound after pound of apartment building fell on top of Powerhouse, enough that, if he was a normal man, his brain would be pounded into mush and fall out of his ears, but to him, it was just like the day when he hit the barracks with his face, but much, much heavier. He slammed into the pavement as the bricks grew heavier and heavier, pounding his back into the pavement and crushing the air out of his lungs. He wanted to scream, but with the building still falling on him, he couldn't. eventually, he blacked out, though if it was through the pounding of bricks on his body or the darkness was hard to say.

When the group managed to finally pull off the massive rock slab Powerhouse had slammed his arms through, the Blond hero was slowly coming around, but the quick slaps from Push were able to rouse him quickly. "Hey, Hey, It's warm under there." He muttered, moving as if to grab another sheet of concrete and pull it over himself "What's the situation? Am I dead, did you catch the bad guys while I was out, or are we about to go find them?" He asked, cracking his shoulders as he pulled himself up, squatting in the pavement and sighing. "That hurt worse then when I hit my head on that barrack and knocked it off it's foundation." He said, reminiscing somewhere between horror and enjoyment, he seemed a bit dizzy, and even looking straight at the ground, his eyes seemed a bit out of focus. "That was when Metatron gave me my name, I remember."

"You can use the one in my car. If you make sure not to break it too much. I still need it." He explained, pointing out the car, closest to the collapse and the first one on the scene. "If at all possible, it would be great if you can just make it the same way it was before." He explained, before going back to his work.

Dragonfly reached behind her waist to pull out her multi-tool, expertly flicking it open like a switchblade and muttering something about 'no promises' as she slid into the car and got to work.

A surprisingly short time later she emerged, carrying a hand-held device that looked like most of the parts from the police-band radio (and a decent section of the car's other dashboard electronics, plus...was that a piece from the engine?), all cobbled together with wires sticking out and at least one vacuum tube humming and full of blue energy. Dragonfly looked awfully satisfied with her little monstrosity, reaching into the rat's nest of wires and flicking something on, bringing it to life and watching the screen light up and flicker, setting it to its task.

The front of the police car, sadly, had seen better days. Even a glance showed that most of the dash was either removed or completely gutted, and it would be fairly remarkable if the car would start at all, not to mention be drivable. Dragonfly made a mental note to fix the poor thing up - make it better! - when she had the time.

Push raised an eyebrow at Dragonfly's...thing. He knew she was good with tech, but that right there? That was messed up. Eyes flashing to the gutted police car, he then mused briefly about that auto repair he was going to build. Definitley would be worth some coin considering the regular automotive havoc played around here...maybe he could work out a deal with her, he'd give her used car parts in exchange for tech? Heaven knows he couldn't rely on Wyrd anymore for pinching the odd smoke or sleep bomb here and there...

He shook his head, chuckling, and held out a hand for Powerhouse as his eyes smiled.

"Y'did good, man. If you weren't around...heh, could've ended badly. Thanks. Really, thanks."

Gripping the other man's hand in his own and glad for the aid, Powerhouse used it as leverage to pull himself out of his crouched position, standing up to his full height with the scarf wearing Hero's help, and grinning. The brick dust that covered him gave his pale skin an even lighter shade, and he brushed off a few stray pieces of brick with a light flip of his hand, before rubbing his hands in his hair repeatedly to clear it out as well. "I've had worse, Mr. Push! I just wasn't expecting the building to fall to pieces in my hands, they make them too fragile!" He said, laughing, then becoming serious and clapping the other man on the back. "I did less then half. Had it not been for you, I'd have been too shocked to even attempt to grab it. You saved everyone Mr. Push." He explained, happy enough to be getting recognition- he got that a lot now in Freedom City, but it still felt nice-, before continuing in the same serious tone. ,but we can't relax yet, we still got stuff to do. " He said, picking his way down the rubble and closer to the Scientist Heroine with the strange item. "Ms. Dragonfly, what do you have there, if I may be so bold as to ask?" he said, inching his way forward, though standing far enough away that he didn't crowd her and her invention, in case he broke it or something bad like that.

"Revenge," Dragonfly replied, with entirely too much satisfaction in her voice. "And science. The suits they are using are normally low-key, but their power source is...unique. A few years old...not as shielded as it should be, especially during and after flight. Gives off a signal in the--"

She trailed off, looking up at the pair and blinking. "...nevermind." She held the device up, pointing at the screen. "Powersuit tracker. Boosted the range...covers at least the whole city. And now..." She turned her attention to the little blips that had appeared on the screen, grinning - not a happy grin, or a cheerful grin, but the kind of grin a predatory animal gives its next meal just before pouncing. "I can see you now."

Push echoed her visage with a look like so many wolves, grinning and feeling the crackle between his fingers. He stepped over and easily picked up the hammer, whirling it overhead and slinging it back across his shoulders with a chuckle.

"Seek and destroy, huh? Count me in, those scum have some debts that need repaying."

She knows an awful lot about these suits, though...maybe she helped with the tech that inspired them? And that demon, earlier...well, we've all got our own skeletons in the closet, best to keep that knowledge on the back burner for now. Doesn't seem like a villain, that's for sure. Vindictive little so-and-so, though...

He inwardly winced, opening his mouth briefly...then closed it. Turning and hunching his shoulders, he leaned on a handy truck.

"Powerhouse, you comin'?"

brushing a few extra pieces of dirt off his body, Powerhouse looked more then a little disturbed at the grins coming from the two people's faces, but soldiered on anyway. These guys look positively dangerous if I left them alone right now, I can't let them hurt those people. He thought to himself, then nodded, smiling. "Yeah, we need to bring them to justice. They committed a ton of crimes and put innocent people at risk, it would be horrible if we left them stick around on the streets with that tech and ran amok." He said, then sighed. "Also, I know Mr. Push can fly, but I don't know if Ms. Dragonfly can, but I certainly can't. I can only run so fast, but I can jump pretty good." he explained. It wasn't things that had to be worried about unless they were traveling, but it was obvious they were about to do so, and as such it was important they were aware of Powerhouse's failings.

Dragonfly shook her head, getting her frustrations back under control after seeing her emotion disturbingly echoed in Push's face. Holding out a hand, space folded outwards; handles appeared out of nowhere, rapidly folding out into her beloved bike. "Getting kinks of flight worked out still. Never enough time...get around by motorcycle. Not a stunt driver, but good enough."

She frowned, tapping the screen. "Closest location isn't far. Can lead the way." just hope this lasts long enough to get them all - always unreliable making things in the field

Push's expression changed from wolvish to admiring as he looked over the bike that appeared from the ether, whistling as his eyes raked over the machine. Within a few seconds he was standing by it, speaking a mile a minute while his eyes shined, kneeling down and looking here, there, and everywhere.

"Hmm, Kawasaki. Beauty of a bike well-kept very similar model to my own too still some differences body more streamlined more aerodynamic fewer dents and dings no supercharger or nitrous injection system OOH very nice reinforcement to the chassy plenty sturdier than your normal bike and parts are definitley not stock reassembled from professional gear definitley better tuned than stock very close to max performance wish to Christ L.A.R and Mike were here he'd..."

Blinking, he took a couple of steps back and shook his head.

"Err...uh...ehe. You've...uh...done good work there. Yeah."

With Dragonfly's machine leading them, the three members of the party set out quickly, roughly able to keep pace with each other to prevent any of them getting lost or separated. It was a strange looking group, to be certain, but no stranger then some of the other teams running around. It was this strange menagerie of heroes that headed through the streets of Greenbank, taking turns that led them through not only through the apartments, but eventually past teh abandoned Warehouses and into older buildings, abandoned but not warehouses.

It was in front of one of these buildings, a Bowling Ally, that Dragonfly's meter finally ended up pointing to.

It was easy to tell that the building was abandoned. Short and long, it had an over-sized pin standing next to a blown out neon sign declaring it as 'Mick's Bowling Alley', and was painted in faded pink and white. Several of the windows were smashed out, some others were covered with Cardboard of other items, and the door had obviously been barricaded previously, as there was a massive hole in it where someone had blown it to shreds. There was no way anyone who hadn't just gotten there could have possibly lived in it, from the holes in the roof and what appeared to be part of the sign from the building- a massive bowling ball- sitting in the ruins of what had once been an overhang. It sat on the corner of an intersection, the door distinctly on the corner facing towards the center of the street.

Dragonfly shut her bike off, pulling it - and her kit-bashed detector - back into her dimensional pocket. Her force field and shield went up immediately - she'd learned that lesson the hard way once or twice - but she just crossed her arms, frowning at what could have once been called a proper building. odd place to retreat to - opportunity familiarity - place of comfort? - long-abandoned - surprised it's still standing

She tilted her head at the hole in the front door. "Subtle."

After all the time spent jumping and not really focusing on anything, when Powerhouse realized that Dragonfly was stopping, he caught short and fell to the ground. Thundering into the ground from a building, Powerhouse pulled- or, to be more accurate, crashed and stumbled- to a stop a short distance from Dragonfly, barely avoiding tripping over his own feet as he landed. After taking a little bit to examine the building closely, and the hole in what used to be the door, he turned to the other two. "Er...You think they know we're here?" He asked, feeling bad for not having something quieter then smashing into the ground very fast to stop.

Push pulled up to a stop...well, not that much more gracefully than Powerhouse, stumbling a bit as he cut the jets out from under his feet and nearly fell on his ass.

She tilted her head at the hole in the front door. "Subtle."

He shrugged, unlimbering his hammer again and leaning on the haft.

"You expected more from a bunch of lowlifes whose first inclination on buying battlesuits was leveling a city block?" he said, watching as Powerhouse walked up and examined the door.

"Er...You think they know we're here?"

Another shrug. "Well, if they don't, they will shortly. Dragonfly, you're the tech expert, any thoughts?"

Dragonfly glanced at Push, and then gestured at the building. "My thoughts are that it's a vacant bowling alley. With a hole in the door. Suits are likely the first piece of significant technology the area has seen in months. Years. Not entirely sure what you expected - already seen what the suits can do, know a suit is in there. Possibly with a person still inside."

She sighed, crossing her arms with one finger tapping as she regarded the building. don't know much about the layout - could rely on knowledge of the suits? - should be careful how much I divulge - mm

Powerhouse was able to make a few guesses from what he knew. They were calling this place a bowling ally, which meant bowling went on here. Though he didn't know what bowling was, it probably involved the giant black ball and the giant white pin on top of this place. Taking these facts into consideration, he made a few observations. "I don't know what these places look like inside...at all." He then made a statement, looking at his hands. "So...what do they look like inside? I mean, it seems like I'd be a liability if I didn't know what to do." He explained, scratching the back of his head and grinning sadly. "I apologize, Ms. Dragonfly, and Mr. Push, for being so ignorant."

Push grinned at Powerhouse, slapping him on the back friendly-like.

"Hey, relax man. There is no crime in ignorance, only in refusing to learn from it. Read that on the Internet somewhere, I think...meh. Bowling alley's a pretty wide-open space, flat lanes all lined up beside each other, couple of low walls...ooh, maybe the jukebox is still there!"

His eyes shone briefly as he mentioned the jukebox, Mike had one at the old L.A.R, always playing these old rock tunes.

"So, how do you two want to play this? Kick down the door and go in hot, or knock first?"

He added the 'knock first' with a wry grin, eyeing the other two heroes.

"Can probably just use the giant hole in the door," Dragonfly observed, crouching on the ground and pulling a piece of chalk from a pouch to do a quick sketch on the cement. "Or find another entrance for surprise tactics...if there is one. Mmh. Bowling alleys usually laid out like this - counter, seating, bowling lanes, machinery," she pointed them each out in turn. "Sometimes an arcade, food area. Just a guess, though...each one is a little different. Don't know number of lanes, or exact layout...will have to find that out the hard way."

She sighed, peering up at the building like she was trying to see through the walls. would be a very useful power With some resignation she tried to explain some of what the suits could do (but not the mechanics and engineering behind them), how they reacted, and things like where a weak joint or two might be found, or how they tended to pause just before taking off. Hopefully it'd be enough....

With their plans made, the unlikely group of heroes ran into the building, through the hole that the original crooks had made, and looked around quickly. It was obvious enough that Dragonfly had been correct, while the building lacked an arcade, it contained almost everything else, littered with pins, balls, and empty drink cans. Three of the suited people were inside, one sitting on a stool in the food court, one practicing bowling on a far lane, and the other sitting on a chair right in-front of the door. The female of the group was nowhere to be seen, but the one in the chair inclined his suited head. "Hello. Welcome to our abode. You won't be seeing it again." He said, toppling back over the chair and into the air. "We'll take you out now." He finished, his suit preparing for battle.

A bolt struck the man right in the midsection, toppling him over just as a warp in space-time flew through the air where his head would be. Push's hand, surrounded by warps in the air, lowered, and he stared at the other two. His coat rippled in the backwash from the bolt, which had nailed the suited jerk with the same force as a pair of sledgehammers. Being swung by weight-lifters. He nodded at Dragonfly, looking genuinely apologetic.

"Sorry, did you want that one?"

Dragonfly had opened with a shockwave straight at the loudmouth...only to have the loudmouth not be precisely where he was a second ago, her shot going wide and scattering harmlessly on a support. Her face was unreadable behind her visor as she lowered her hand; her voice was not so hidden. "It's...fine," she said, in the careful controlled tone and paced voice of someone trying fairly hard to not pick more than one fight at a time. "As long as we win the fight." if I shoot him he won't be useful anymore - so tempting - have to concentrate on acquiring the suits "Just...keep your eyes on the enemy."

As the group began their attacks, Powerhouse did as he was sure to be told, and rushed across the bowling ally, overturning chairs and breaking through tables as he made for the man sitting at the food court, then jumped on top of him, punching him in the face, sending the two sprawling across more chairs and tables and into the serving area with a loud crash as they tore items apart inside it.