Welcome to The Lab! (IC)

Supercape

Miss Americana worked the party like a professional, moving from group to group and glad-handing the press and dignitaries even as her own throng of admirers tagged along behind her. Of all the scientists, she seemed perhaps the most comfortable dealing with the press of people, and if occasionally she intercepted folks who were bothering her shyer colleagues, it was done so adroitly it was nearly impossible to notice. Indeed, it was no hardship, since she obviously enjoyed the attention and the chance to describe a few new project to reporters who were as besotted as they were out of their depths.

Eventually the reception began to clear out, as the food and wine began to run out and the entertainers finished their scheduled sets. Judging that things were in good order and in the capable hands of the support staff, Miss Americana said a round of farewells before heading upstairs herself, waiting to breathe a sigh of relief until she was safely in the elevator.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dragonfly had long since filled her belly with delicious meats and cheeses, and while she'd been able to manage her (small) share of questions and complements over by the food table she was more than glad when the food ran low, the crowds thinned out, and she could excuse herself to a floor above the main gathering where she could watch without getting in the way or feeling like she was shirking duties. When even Miss Americana had left the crowds she abandoned her post at the window, stretching a little as she made her way to the nearest elevator. not so bad - wouldn't want to do it again but not so bad - food was excellent

The reading room, or library, was (unusually) open to the public today. It was never completely secure, serving more as a quiet contemplation room full of archiac tomes and computer terminals. Whilst not secure like the rest of the lab, it did require a library card. However, as today was a full "open" day, it was rather populated.

Shame, as it would have been a good place to reflect on the days events with his Laborian friends.

In the lift, he spoke into his commlink to the others.

"Went pretty well there. Still a throng downstairs, so don't venture down unless you are feeling particular charitable. I fancy a cup of tea myself. And a debrief! Floor 8 communal room?"

Moments later, as though appearing in response to his request, Miss A walked into the common room. She took a seat and let out a long breath of relief before giving Supercape a smile. "I think that went very well, don't you?" she asked. "We managed to wow most of the people who were there, and even the hostile ones at least listened to what we had to say. I was sure there was going to be at least one heated argument on the exhibit floor, but people were on their best behavior."

Dragonfly wandered in only shortly after Miss Americana, looking worn-out but relieved. "Excellent PR," she noted, flopping down on the first available comfortable chair. "But too many...crowds. For me. Think I've used up my social energy for weeks. Months. Glad we only open once, don't think I could do another speech." She put a hand between her visor and her face, rubbing her eyes and the bridge of her nose. "Don't know how you do it."

"It's easy," Miss A said with a breezy laugh, smiling over at the young gadgeteer. "You just dress up nicely, open your mouth, and say whatever the crowd wants to hear. Making speeches is only really difficult when you have to convince people of something that's totally untrue or that they're very disinclined to believe. Today's crowd was happy to believe the truth, that what we're doing here is something really good. They ate it right up. And you did just fine," she told Dragonfly encouragingly. "You hardly looked nervous."

"Just have a nice cup of tea beforehand!" said Supercape with a smile full of encouragement. He went straight to the kettle "and in my case, afterwards!".

He had taken to carrying tea bags with him all the time, including in costume, for fear of being without his beloved brew. It was just one more step before he would have a tea-utility belt.

"You didn't look nervous at all!" lied Supercape - although in truth Dragonfly had done very well, and it was only because he knew her that he could detect the more obvious signs. "And in any case, it served its function. The expo hall is still buzzing. " he pointed at a video screen showing a live feed from the hall.

"I guess we may have to do smaller shows now and again, just to keep up the PR side of things, but hopefully nothing on this scale".

Ironclad had lead her group of reporters through the conference area, round the hanger on the top floors, and even through the factory levels in the sub-basement. She'd finally been forced to return to the expo floors and mingle with the remaining public and members of the press. She kept a bright smile on her face and answered questions in a cheery, noncommittal manner, but she was quietly panicking inside. She could handle people, strangers, in small groups, but in a mass she felt like she was going to be overwhelmed and crushed. Only the physical shell of her armor kept her from hyperventilating. When Supercape's suggestion came over the group's shared commlink (something she and Dragonfly had gimmicked together a few days prior) she felt a wave of relief wash over her. "Yes, please," she whispered back, practically pushing through the crowd to get to the elevator.

Every contributing member of the Lab had a private office and workspace with an attached suite of rooms, for rest for a private meal. No everyone rated such luxury, though, and each of the executive levels had a common room for people to meet and unwind in. Ironclad retreated there gratefully and sprawled out on one of the low-sluing couches. "I can float," she said to no-one in particular, "so why do my feet hurt?"

"Mmh. Thank you." Dragonfly grimaced, but her tone was grateful, at least. "All the same. No more speeches. Not cut out for it, I think - and not as good with crowds. Learning experience, I suppose...."

"I can float," she said to no-one in particular, "so why do my feet hurt?"

The dirty blonde engineer didn't even look up from her chair, where she was staring up at the ceiling. She did, however, allow herself the smallest of satisfied grins. "Karma."

Shortly thereafter, Gossamer joined the rest of her labmates in the common room, the pockets of her labcoat bulging with wrapped items. She found an empty seat and plopped into it with a satisified sigh.

"Free at last!" Several tendrils fished out the mysterious bundles, which turned out to be four cut tea sandwiches, three brownies and a Diet Coke. "Sorry, I didn't get time to eat; luckly I was able to send out feelers for supplies." She spread a napkin across her lap and carefully laid out her repast, with one golden braid popping open her can of soda.

"So, what's the butcher's bill; did we all survive?"

"mmm delicious" said Supercape, helping himself to a sandwich.

"And yes, I think we all survived. I don't mind a bit of PR really, we should keep up a good image. Make sure the public realise this is a worthwhile and serious institution, and not a marvellous box of toys for us to play with!"

The twinkle in his eye was impossible to miss, and clearly indicated he thought the Lab was more of the latter and less of the former.

"Nice bit of evasion by Ironclad, too. Well dodged!"

Ironclad lifted her head to stick her tongue out at her friend. She wasn't sure how to respond to Supercape's comment -- she'd never been praised for playing hooky before. Instead she snagged herself a brownie, downing the sweet in two bites. That little bit of food made her stomach sit up and remind the young woman that she'd had a light breakfast and had skipped lunch entirely, first to fight slime monsters and then for this soiree. She bounced to her feet and said to the group, "Aren't there supposed to be kitchenettes around here? I need a sandwich. And coffee."

Dragonfly glanced over at people stealing Gossamer's dinner, and frowned but didn't comment - from what she'd seen at the concert auditions so long ago the chemist could certainly take care of herself if she wanted to. Instead she went back to looking up at the ceiling, and shook her head. "Not me. Probably ate half the buffet table. Delicious, no regrets. But full now. Very full, and tired."

"Have they packed up the buffet yet?," Archeville's voice called from the doorway. "I was hoping for a small bite before going. I have worked with these caterers before; they make exquisite croissant sandwiches!"

I think their secret is the honey-mustard they use. I must see if I can get the recipe.

"A fine show, all!," he cheered, "and I do thank you for allowing me to help with the security detail. No signs of any trouble, as we had hoped." He glanced over at Dragonfly's direction

Why is she looking up at the ceiling? Is she just 'zoning out,' or does she sense something? Well, I am sure if it was something important, she would tell them.

and then looked back to the others, "if there is nothing else you need, I will gather up a 'doggie bag' and be on my way."

Jessica stood up a little straighter when Doktor Archeville walked into the room. She do dearly wanted to impress the man, one of her heroes since she was very young, but she fairly blanched at the idea of going back down into that crowd. "No, thank you," she said. "Too much finger food. I need to get something more filling. Excuse me, all." She walked out to the common room and looked up and down the hallway. She'd committed the floor plan to memory -- so where did they put that kitchenette?

"Oh Doggy Bag, what a splendid Idea!" said Supercape, stuffing some brownies into a paper bag.

He gave the others a big grin, and gave Doktor Archeville a friendly civilian salute.

"I would just like to say on behalf of all of us at the Lab" he said to the Doktor, before continuing in German ""

He stretched his back before continuing "but that's quite enough PR for one day. I think its time to escape!" he laughed, as the time space continuum around him wobbled, and the sparkling costume and magnificent cape vanished from view.

A rueful Estelle was too well-mannered to actually protest when several of her Lab partners began to help themselves to her dinner, though she did make a mental note to keep the fridge in her office fully-stocked, and possibly locked as well.

Technicians...

Looking down at her sadly-diminished supplies, the organic chemist cleared her throat. "Perhaps we should have regular meals together...not everyday, but perhaps once a week? Lots and lots of food, with the understanding that it's to be shared? I think that would be very pleasant."

Fetching her cellphone with a helpful tendril, Gossamer started scanning for a Thai place that delivered.

Dragonfly, despite trying to be a little better about keeping her mind out of other peoples' electronics, couldn't resist a mental glance at Gossamer's cell phone, lights behind her eyes hidden behind closed eyelids. "Third down is good," she noted, still flopped in her chair. "Reasonable prices, quality food. Should still be open for another...mmh." She opened an eye, looking around for the nearest clock. "...two hours. Regular meals...interesting idea. Good idea to keep everyone in touch, at least."

• 3 weeks later...

"Third down is good," she noted, still flopped in her chair. "Reasonable prices, quality food. Should still be open for another...mmh." She opened an eye, looking around for the nearest clock. "...two hours. Regular meals...interesting idea. Good idea to keep everyone in touch, at least."

It took a second for Estelle to comprehend exactly what Dragonfly was talking about, but then her eyes flickered back and forthe between the remarkable young inventor and her own phone, and it finally sank in.

"Ah yes, thank you, good to know." She placed her order, thanked the woman at the resturaunt and ended the call. Now that the day was finally drawing to a close, she allowed her head to sink back against the chair with fatigue.

"Oh, I hope I don't have to do many more of those...my bones feel like they've been cast in lead." Without bothering to lift her head, she asked, "Fly, I have a bottle of single malt scotch I've been saving for a special occasion; would you care for a glass?"

With some effort she raised her head back up, and sleepily surveyed the room. "Everyone else is welcome to join...us? Hmm, I think we've been abandoned..."

"Mmh," Dragonfly said (noised?), shaking her head. "Yes, they have. Can't blame them. No. Scotch, I mean. Thank you. Stick to wine, myself, and only a glass or two at a time. Lightweight. Not enough body mass."

She frowned for a moment, shifting her gaze from the ceiling to Gossamer. "....sorry for the phone trick. Need to learn to not do that. Probably impolite. Always careful to not look at personal information, but...still. Getting better, at least. No longer too tempted to re-write the phone software. Just...could be so much better. But voids the warranty."

"Mmh," Dragonfly said (noised?), shaking her head. "Yes, they have. Can't blame them. No. Scotch, I mean. Thank you. Stick to wine, myself, and only a glass or two at a time. Lightweight. Not enough body mass."

Estelle nodded. "A fair point; to be honest, it would probably put me to sleep, even with my greater..." She impassively looked down at her rather impressive body sprawled in her chair. "Mass."

"....sorry for the phone trick. Need to learn to not do that. Probably impolite. Always careful to not look at personal information, but...still. Getting better, at least. No longer too tempted to re-write the phone software. Just...could be so much better. But voids the warranty."

The chemsist waved her hand dismissively. "No worries. And really, it's no worse than having your name in the tabloids, which I've had a misfortune of seeing a few times. I don't keep anything really important on my phone anymore."

With tremendous effort, Gossamer managed to sit up and nibble on a brownie. "Mmm, quite good! So, do you have an epic plans for your new lab space?"

Dragonfly frowned a bit, looking back up at the ceiling. "Not...sure. Useful to have a spare bed on this side of town, but...not used to having a desk. Like the desk I have - old, solid wood; metal or plastic felt...impersonal - but not fond of paperwork and don't anticipate having to meet many people there. Will probably use it for extra workspace. Gadgets and inventions small enough, or that I want to keep private. Mostly...mostly accepted and chose the office for the view. Private space is good, but could have claimed a workshop for that. Very nice view...caught a look at it during building, close to sunset. Can see half the district. Worth any amount of paperwork."

"I agree, the views up here are spectacular, which is nearly reason enough to pack up shop. I'm not sure if I want to continue my association with ASTRO Labs or not."

She looked out the window in the lab's general direction.

"They've been very good to me, but I wouldn't mind a change; still, no point in burning your bridges."

Rising up from her seat she took a few steps to the windows, her eyes taking in the whole of Freedom, now burnished with the rays of approaching sunset; unconsciously she put her hands on her hips in a somewhat iconic pose.

"But there's something to be said for joining others of exceptional abilities in an undertaking like this; I feel as though...I'm not sure I can put it to words. A sense of...promise?" She shook her head, waves rippling to the ends of her hair. "I don't know exactly what it is, but I feel like I'm where I should be, if that makes any sense."

"Sounds nice," Dragonfly admitted, biting her lip. "Not...can't say I feel like an outsider. Have been very accommodating so far. But feels more like...business venture, than home, or community. Don't know. Will maybe adjust...not used to working in a group, and very much not used to being...in charge. Glad to leave that to more capable hands, but still a founder, which is....odd. Don't know."

She shook her head, clearing the thought away. "Do hope we do good things here, though. Minds and facilities should turn out great works. Hopefully. And eventually."

"Do hope we do good things here, though. Minds and facilities should turn out great works. Hopefully. And eventually."

Estelle laughed, and turned back to face Dragonfly. "'Hopefully' indeed! The Manhattan Project was a meeting of great minds, and look at their legacy." Returning to her seat, she thoughfully laid her head in her hand.

"I've never really thought about it before, but in a sense I've never worked alone; I went right from Harvard to my family's firm, then to ASTRO and now here. I've been a 'team player' my entire professional career." She shrugged. "Not sure if that's good or bad, really; I suppose it depends on the individual."