Triumphant Meetings (IC)

Gabriel's smile was pretty much glued in place as he lazily shifted his flight path so he slowly circled the other two heroes.

"Do you think it would be possible to arrange an off-world visit for us one day soon? Maybe someplace that has a culture with a lot of music and/or theater?"

Suddenly, he snapped his fingers and pointed at Dark Star.

"I just remembered, I have some of your clothes. I, uh, borrowed them when Fleur was helping me recover. I kind of didn't have an overnight bag, so we had to improvise."

He figured mentioning things in this manner shouldn't do any harm; Dark Star had already mentioned his relationship with Fleur.

"When we wrap up our patrol, we can swing near my place and I'll pick them up and give them to you. They're washed and folded and everything, I promise."

Victory can't help but raise his brow at how completely Gabriel seemed to shift the topic. He supposes that must be normal among heroes who have some matter of out-of-costume relationship of some manner. It does seem odd to him, though. But I guess it's not much different from people who talk about those sorts of things in the office. It just so happens that the "office" in this case is flying far up in the sky.

He found it an odd topic, so he just nodded, his own question answered. Do others talk this casually to one another when on patrol...?

He nodded to the cloaked hero. "Of course. Whenever is convenient for you, just let me know. With no travel time, you can stay as long as you wish. There are quite a few cultures that might fight that description. The Lor Empire would likely be a good place to start given the similarity of form." He tilted his head to one side, pausing a moment. "Ah yes. She did mention that to me. It is no trouble. Keep them or return them at your leisure." He looked at the two of them for a moment. "How often and long do you two patrol? Just curious. I do not sleep so I tend to be out and about quite a bit but I'm always curious what a good, and normal I suppose, average is."

Gabriel shrugged.

"I'll call her and arrange it. Wouldn't feel right otherwise.

At any rate, I tend to patrol for a few hours, working around my, ah, "day job", as it were. I started a bit earlier today, what with joining Victory here, so I'll probably end earlier. It depends, though. If I have a really tough fight, I typically go home and rest and eat a bit, assuming I'm not unconscious or something. Just flying around and such doesn't drain me much, but heavy combat really takes its toll. My food bill could feed two normal people, I'd wager. It's a miracle I don't eat more, really, what with being a walking, talking sound generator. I figure it's just part of the package, though."

Victory laughs, shrugging once again. "I'd like to know the same thing, to be honest. This is actually what I do as a living, so I'm up here for at least 8 hours a day, not counting lunch. Which I usually eat up in the sky, anyway, since it's fun just being up here. Not to mention the food back at base is...a bit lacking. And I do some patrolling on my off-time, too. Just in case something goes down. I'm always on call, too. In case AEGIS needs assistance anywhere. Plus I come by if one of my other hero friends need a hand. So I have no idea what it's like for the other heroes who do this on their own volunteer time. "

"I'm basically on 'hero-mode' whenever I'm not sleeping. But hey, I get paid for it, so I can't complain. Plus it just feels awesome helping people out like this. I know you both must get the same feeling."

Back at AEGIS HQ, someone in the monitoring room overhears Victory's comment, due to being assigned to keeping an ear on his comm channel. He had a plate of food right in front of him, and sighs, nodding in agreement with Victory's food comment.

Dark Star nodded in thanks. "I am always just curious as to how much time various people spend on such activities. As I don't have a conventional job, though I do teach part time, and since I don't sleep, I tend to be out almost constantly. But I do a little work with various scientific organizations to help their research along that I suppose might count as well. Which reminds me, I really need to go retrieve those satellite packages. Hmm, perhaps almost constantly no longer applies," he added half to himself. He gave a little shrug. "I still have some catching up to do."

Gabriel gave out a hearty chuckle.

"I seem to be the only one who makes "hero work" more of a second job than a first. Then again, I suppose there's valid reasons each of you are in the situation you're in regarding that."

He looked over to Victory with a smile.

"If we cross paths around mealtime, maybe we can catch a bite, so you don't have to subject yourself to military base food. You're more than welcome as well, Dark Star."

He gave a thoughtful nod at Dark Star's musings at his schedule.

"Always more things to squeeze into the schedule, hm? Maybe being on Earth will give you a chance for a breather, though. Smaller scope to your problems, and all that."

When Victory hears the bit about helping various organizations, his interest picks up once more.

"What sort of research? I'd imagine with the sort of civilizations you must be around, I'd assume you'd have quite a lot to contribute to the fields of space travel, and probably a bit more information then you might want to have in regards to advanced weaponry. Am I correct?"

Looking over to Gabriel, he smirks. "I happen to know a place where we could grab a burger. A friend of mine works there."

He nodded to Gabriel with a little bow. "Thank you. I don't really require food however. But socializing is something I have been intending to work on so perhaps I will join you sometime." He gave a soft chuckle. "I doubt I will take said breather. While technically I could, and I might even slow things down a little here and there, I would be remiss if I didn't continue. Given that I can cross the galaxy in a blink, distance is not really a factor. I just try to do my best to help is all," he said.

He looked over at the technologically oriented hero for a moment before shrugging. "I suppose so, yes. There are quite a few societies that have advanced technologies and I've learned quite a bit. But I wouldn't share such knowledge with anyone on Earth, especially a government or militarily focused group. Nor would those cultures willingly share their technology with anyone on Earth really. And rightly so," he said knowingly.

• 3 weeks later...

Gabriel smiles as Victory speaks of a burger joint.

"You know, before I moved here, I don't think I'd ever had a burger. Now, they're on my list of favorite foods. I don't think I'll have time today, but maybe next week we can do that."

He turns and regards Dark Star.

"It's getting close to the holidays. You really ought to slow it down at least a little bit. After all, your fiance might appreciate it. Not saying you should stop, not at all. Just...take a little time to enjoy things, I guess. Just a thought.

As for the technology exchange, I suppose I can understand, at least to a point. It's not like we don't have people here on Earth coming up with plenty of helpful inventions."

He brought one arm up to check the time, then shook his head.

"I have a couple things I need to take care of. Gentlemen, it's been an honor and a pleasure. I'll see you both around."

After Victory and Dark Star had said their goodbyes, Gabriel zoomed off, headed south towards his typical patrol area.

"I have to agree. I know this hero thing does take a lot of time. It's tough sometimes, but you really do have to make time for family. Especially considering the high risk factor we all face."

As Gabriel excuses himself, Victory nods him goodbye.

"I'm sure I'll see you around again, Gabriel. I'm always around the city, so I'm very easy to find."

After Gabriel is gone, he turns back to Dark Star.

"What about you? Is there somewhere you have to be?"