Date Patrol! Action and Romance! Two Heroes Unite!

Lone Star

"Now that I have to see. I used to play bass in college, but I'm largely out of practice. How long have you been playing?"

Gossamer shrugged casually. "Oh, since high school; my sister Sunny and I had a band." She paused and looked thoughtful for a second. "Well, have a band, I should say; we actually had a reunion show here in town back in April. We're even on YouTube; search under 'Naughti Girlz', ending with an 'I' and a 'Z'. It was quite the show."

"And as awesome as the hair is, that will take some getting used to!" he said as he took a big bite out of his pancakes, washing it down with a swig of milk. "Seriously though, you do have cool powers. I know this is kind of soon to say, but Estelle..." Mad Dog said, clearing his throat. He put on his best "surfer dude" voice. "Not only are you a babe most bodacious, you are also radical and extreme to the max!" He coughed loudly. "Sorry, the nineties were really rough on me."

Estelle laughed and adopted a sort of Valley Girl accent; her hair joined in the act by curling into a bad frizzy perm. "Ohmigawd, no way! Well, you are like mega-tasty! I'm totally serious!"

Her hair resumed its normal texture as she sighed and idly ran her fingers through it. "I realize it can be a bit much; it's just so odd for me, because it...feels so natural! It's like someone saying my arms are sort of weird and hard to get used to, which I know must sound strange..." Feeling slightly self-conscious, she swept all her hair up into her usual thick braid, which laid lazily down the curve of her graceful back.

Looking up into the sky, she tucked her knees up under her chin. "You've taken on this life by choice, but for me, it had the air of inevitability; what else was I going to do after this happened?" She shook her head. “I’m sorry; believe me, I'm not asking for pity or even sympathy. I was born wealthy, with excellent genes, and received a wonderful education; I would have to be an ungrateful idiot to complain. And yet, from time to time I do." She raised a fist in mock-outrage. "Curse my human weakness!"

Mad Dog looked at her with concern. He put a comforting arm on her shoulder. "Well, I think you made the right decision. If there weren't superheroes, what would we do about all the villains?" Mad Dog said with a sly wink. ;)"But I think you've done well for yourself. I mean, if you hadn't been a superhero, our date would be pretty boring, wouldn't it?" He laughed and took another bite of his pancake. "But to be fair, I didn't become a superhero because I wanted to. Well, I did want to, of course. But I'm fighting as well to take down a very powerful Mafia don. I couldn't fight back as Gregory, so I created this identity. I do fight crime, of course, that's what superheroes do, but I didn't start out from an overwhelming desire to become one." He shrugged. "Of course, I gotta say. I love it. Fighting criminals, beating supervillains. It's a good job."

Mad Dog looked at her with concern. He put a comforting arm on her shoulder. "Well, I think you made the right decision. If there weren't superheroes, what would we do about all the villains?"

For a moment, she stiffened at his familiar touch, but then she relaxed and allowed his arm to stay put. In fact, a slender lock of hair lazily coiled up his arm like ivy; whether or not Estelle was conscious of the tendril was unclear.

"But I think you've done well for yourself. I mean, if you hadn't been a superhero, our date would be pretty boring, wouldn't it?"

The blonde heroine sniffed in mock outrage. "Speak for yourself, Mad Dog; I've always been fascinating."

"But to be fair, I didn't become a superhero because I wanted to. Well, I did want to, of course. But I'm fighting as well to take down a very powerful Mafia don. I couldn't fight back as Gregory, so I created this identity. I do fight crime, of course, that's what superheroes do, but I didn't start out from an overwhelming desire to become one." He shrugged. "Of course, I gotta say. I love it. Fighting criminals, beating supervillains. It's a good job."

At the mention of the Mafia don, Gossamer sat up a little straighter and her expression became serious.

"So who is this Mafioso? Would I recognize his name from the papers? If you need any help, I would of course be willing to lend a hand, possibly even several."

Mad Dog took his arm off of her shoulder, hardly realizing he kept it there. "His name is Frank. Frank Tonifanni. He basically tried to use my skills as a vet to fix a horse race, and of course I refused. He made some not-to-subtle threats against my own well-being, and my dog, and the hospital. I couldn't let that happen. So that's why I became Mad Dog. I knew I wouldn't make a difference as Gregory- he'd burn down the hospital and kill everyone I know. So I used my military training and got a badass costume together to take him down. While fighting villains along the way. I try to clean up the streets the best I can, and this has become a big part of my life."

"His name is Frank. Frank Tonifanni. He basically tried to use my skills as a vet to fix a horse race, and of course I refused. He made some not-to-subtle threats against my own well-being, and my dog, and the hospital. I couldn't let that happen. So that's why I became Mad Dog. I knew I wouldn't make a difference as Gregory- he'd burn down the hospital and kill everyone I know. So I used my military training and got a badass costume together to take him down. While fighting villains along the way. I try to clean up the streets the best I can, and this has become a big part of my life."

Estelle's beautiful blue eyes widened in wonder as Gregory shared his tale; would she have done the same thing in his position, or would she just go to the authorities and trusted them to take care of everything? She chewed thoughtfully on a lock of her hair as she pondered this question.

"Hmm. Well, I'd still like to help, but maybe in a more subtle way; my powers can be a bit showy and my identity is very public, so I should probably be cautious. I understand that the Mob has a very long collective memory for settling scores and slights."

She switched from her hair back to her food, keeping her thoughts private as she munched in silence.

Mad Dog nodded at her. "I wouldn't want to drag you into this, anyway. This is something I've started- I ought to be the one to finish it. But know that that's not the only reason why I fight crime, just the initial one." He smiled at her, and took a bite of his eggs. "I do enjoy fighting the good fight, of course. It gives me a satisfaction that I can not only help animals that are in need, but civilians in danger as well." Mad Dog glanced away for a moment, and was blushing beneath his mask. "Umm." he said, hesitating for a moment. "May I put my arm around your shoulder again?" he said, subtly scooting over next to her.

Estelle nodded as Mad Dog explained more about the nature of his crime-fighting career, her eyes still somewhat unfocused; it wasn't that she wasn't listening so much as she was taking in all the information and processing, turning the dieas over in her mind.

"Umm." he said, hesitating for a moment. "May I put my arm around your shoulder again?" he said, subtly scooting over next to her.

At this, she snapped back to the present. "What? Oh, yes, uh...sure, that's fine." She even scooted over a bit herself so their hips touched. Sadly she didn't have a mask to hide the blood rising to her cheeks, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. As she adjusted herself, Gossamer's glorious hair uncoiled fully and drapped itself majestically over her shoulders like a queen's radient rode, some of which also landed on MD's leg; there was the slightest pressure, like a hand laid gently on his muscular thigh. Estelle took a deep breath, which she let out slowly.

"So, it's a pleasant night, isn't it? A good night to punish scoundrels for their wicked ways." She cast a quick casual glance Gregory's way as she raised her Thermos cup to her lips. "By the way, are you cold? My hair traps a lot of air between the strands, which makes it a wonderful insulator..."

Mad Dog couldn't help but grin. "Well, as much as this leather insulates, it is pretty chilly outside. I could use a little extra warmth." He blew the cold air out of his mask, and rubbed her shoulder playfully. "I'm hoping we'll find someone to fight tonight...my last few patrols have been pretty dry. As much as I hate to say it, I hope some bank gets robbed. Oh my, that's just awful of me." He chuckled a little. "But the streets have been quiet lately. I don't know about you, but it feels a bit like a bad omen to me."

"Well, as much as this leather insulates, it is pretty chilly outside. I could use a little extra warmth." He blew the cold air out of his mask, and rubbed her shoulder playfully.

The blonde chemist/heroine nodded eagerly. "Oh good! It's always nice to be helpful in a non-combat capacity." Her hair rose up above both their heads and ruffled itself like like the extended wings of a giant bird, then slowly and ever so gently it settled down over the two heroes, covering them both with a warm protective blanket that did indeed trap their shared body heat to delightful effect.

"I'm hoping we'll find someone to fight tonight...my last few patrols have been pretty dry. As much as I hate to say it, I hope some bank gets robbed. Oh my, that's just awful of me." He chuckled a little. "But the streets have been quiet lately. I don't know about you, but it feels a bit like a bad omen to me."

For her part, Gossamer was feeling too happy to be troubled by such gloomy premonitions, and she waved such thoughts away with a flick of her fingers.

"Oh now, you shouldn't always assume the worst; after all, it's the holidays! Every once and a while there actually is peace on earth, you know." She shrugged, the golden mantle rising up on her shoulders. "You have to be able to enjoy these quiet happy moments while they last."

Mad Dog smiled happily and snuggled closer to her. "I guess you're right. You know, I know this is going to sound a bit strange." he said, looking at her. "I'm enjoying this happy moment we're having right now." He smiled beneath his mask, and he was undoubtably blushing. He coughed a little. "So, when did you want to start patrolling?"

Mad Dog smiled happily and snuggled closer to her. "I guess you're right. You know, I know this is going to sound a bit strange." he said, looking at her. "I'm enjoying this happy moment we're having right now." He smiled beneath his mask, and he was undoubtably blushing. He coughed a little. "So, when did you want to start patrolling?"

Estelle finished chewing her current mouthful and washed it down with a swig of coffee. "Mmm, well, now that were eating, I think we should wait until we're done; just watch for any gut punches, because that would be horrifically painful on a full stomach." She grimaced and shook her head at the thought, then switched topics slightly.

"So, if tonight's patrol turns out well, would you like to continue on a regular basis, maybe once a week? I can make a homemade pizza next time and pack a few slices for you."

Mad Dog smiled. "Now that sounds like a great plan. We'd be much more productive on patrol together than apart. Well, for patrolling that is. I mean- uh." he said, flustering. "It'd be my pleasure, Estelle!" He was glad his mask covered his whole face. "Maybe we could go out for drinks again as well? I know this great bar uptown that makes a killer martini. And if you're into it, they have a jazz band play there every Saturday. I've never been a real big jazz guy, but it is a great way to relax after a patrol or work."

"Now that sounds like a great plan. We'd be much more productive on patrol together than apart. Well, for patrolling that is. I mean- uh." he said, flustering. "It'd be my pleasure, Estelle!"

Estelle's well-trained ear picked up on the little quivers in his voice, and she did her best to hide a smile.

"Maybe we could go out for drinks again as well? I know this great bar uptown that makes a killer martini. And if you're into it, they have a jazz band play there every Saturday. I've never been a real big jazz guy, but it is a great way to relax after a patrol or work."

"That sounds nice; I like jazz well enough." Then the lovely blonde stopped herself as her blue eyes gazed intently into his eyeholes. "You know, we're not fighting the forces of evil just now; perhaps you could..." Like playful little fingers, several tendrils worked themselves around the edges of his mask, lightly tickling his cheeks as they raised it up to expose his handsome face. She traced the line of his strong jaw with a gloved finger.

"There you are! If you're worried about binoculars or the like, I can adjust our little shelter a bit." The golden blanket shifted forward, until the two heroes were completely covered by a shimmering tent that simmered with the warmth of their bodies. "And now, no one will know that I did this..." She leaned forward and gently kissed Gregory, her lips just stroking his own like a pair of smoldering coals.

Gregory's eyes popped open. He was not expecting that. He accepted her kiss, though, and kissed her back with great passion. He had been waiting for this since the moment he met her. Gregory smiled beneath their kiss and gently stroked her back. As he broke the kiss, he looked deep into her eyes. "Oh wow." Gregory kissed her on the cheek. "We are so going out on patrol again."

Thank God he was a good kisser; this was rarely a dealbreaker for Estelle, since good kissing can always be taught, but it saved so much time! It was like being able to skip the appetizer and go straight for dessert.

"Oh wow." Gregory kissed her on the cheek. "We are so going out on patrol again."

Estelle laughed, her breath warm on Gregory's face. "Well we'd better, because I don't know how much we're going to do tonight..." Suddenly her hands were around the back of his head, her fingers entwined in his hair as she returned his passionate kiss, the mask carefully removed and set aside by her other limbs.

Damn it, that feels good!

Her last relationship had been with a goddess, which was by its very nature amazing, but she hadn't kissed a good-looking guy in a long time. At last she let him up for air, and she found herself giggling like a teenager, a goofy grin plastered across her flushed face.

"Hi Greg! This sure is nice, isnt it?"

Gregory smiled as he gasped in pleasure. His face was totally flushed. "Oh my God. You're awesome. Yes, this is great. You're...wow." He looked at her for a moment, breathing hard. He took a moment to catch his breath. Gregory smiled. "Hey. Surprise!" He pushed her over playfully, and the two kissed for a good long time. He hadn't been so passionate making out with a girl since his high school years...

This had been quite a night for Gregory. Although the two didn't catch any criminals, they did discover chemistry. And in the holiday season, isn't that the best thing? Well, let's hope no one got mugged that night.