Question: Probability Control

MBCE

No, but that's the default suggestion for Probability Control, so that is what I was going by.

You'd need Probability Control 15 (which is doable) to AP a rank 10 Perception, Penetrating, Selective Area damaging effect. It would be a real "haymaker" for sure. That's the sticky part about "fat" arrays (where you buy a PL capped power as an AP of a power that is not capped). The temptation is always there to "extra" it to death to get its PP cost up to the main power.

In UP the temptation apparently is to "extra" a suggested AP for a power to get it up to the same cost as the main power. I guess it's for simplicity's sake.

I don't think any of the descriptions of damage effects in UP listed for Probability Control make any sense being perception range. All of them are obviously "dodge-able" in some way. That's why I think a Ranged, Selective Area makes much more sense than Penetrating Perception. In fact, Penetrating makes even less sense. Being hit by a car is penetrating? Kinda silly, IMO.

No, but that's the default suggestion for Probability Control, so that is what I was going by.

You'd need Probability Control 15 (which is doable) to AP a rank 10 Perception, Penetrating, Selective Area damaging effect. It would be a real "haymaker" for sure. That's the sticky part about "fat" arrays (where you buy a PL capped power as an AP of a power that is not capped). The temptation is always there to "extra" it to death to get its PP cost up to the main power.

In UP the temptation apparently is to "extra" a suggested AP for a power to get it up to the same cost as the main power. I guess it's for simplicity's sake.

I don't think any of the descriptions of damage effects in UP listed for Probability Control make any sense being perception range. All of them are obviously "dodge-able" in some way. That's why I think a Ranged, Selective Area makes much more sense than Penetrating Perception. In fact, Penetrating makes even less sense. Being hit by a car is penetrating? Kinda silly, IMO.

The power points spent on Split Probability would be available for the AP. LuckDude spent 59 pp on his power (14*4+3). If he took the Damage (Range: Perception) AP, he could spend up to 59 pp on it, any way that he wished. Since Perception range powers are PL-limited, he'd probably not even spend that much, but he could add plenty of Split Attack to it if he wanted to.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my question. The question was, If I applied A split probability power feat onto the array, would it be considered to affect all of the APs of that array as well?

As far as the amount of pps of an array, Probability Control is limited to PL or 20 whichever is less, which really makes no sense to me. Unless they plan on releasing rules for higher PL games, they should have simply kept it limited to power level.

It makes perfect sense I think. The damage is caused by the change in probability, where even the most unlikely of events can happen. If you limit your thinking to simply being hit by a car, then you're missing out on the creative posibilities of using the power. It's not just a car suddenly hitting you, its a car hitting hitting the small crack in Captain X's force field which was caused during his battle with the Doom squad the day before.

Considering how easy it is to pick up Imprevious, and how often characters seem to have imprevious, adding the penertrating extra shows that probability. As far as the damage effects beig dodge able, how do you dodge something you have no idea is coming? Captain X is in the sky where there is no clouds when he is suddenly struck by a lightning bolt. Would he have been prepared to dodge the bolt in a cloudless sky?

But you say that Captain X has great notice. Then the probability hit just when he was blinking his eyes. Anything that can happen regardless of how improbable, can with the power.

The power points spent on Split Probability would be available for the AP. LuckDude spent 59 pp on his power (14*4+3). If he took the Damage (Range: Perception) AP, he could spend up to 59 pp on it, any way that he wished. Since Perception range powers are PL-limited, he'd probably not even spend that much, but he could add plenty of Split Attack to it if he wanted to.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my question. The question was, If I applied A split probability power feat onto the array, would it be considered to affect all of the APs of that array as well?

As far as the amount of pps of an array, Probability Control is limited to PL or 20 whichever is less, which really makes no sense to me. Unless they plan on releasing rules for higher PL games, they should have simply kept it limited to power level.

It makes perfect sense I think. The damage is caused by the change in probability, where even the most unlikely of events can happen. If you limit your thinking to simply being hit by a car, then you're missing out on the creative posibilities of using the power. It's not just a car suddenly hitting you, its a car hitting hitting the small crack in Captain X's force field which was caused during his battle with the Doom squad the day before.

Considering how easy it is to pick up Imprevious, and how often characters seem to have imprevious, adding the penertrating extra shows that probability. As far as the damage effects beig dodge able, how do you dodge something you have no idea is coming? Captain X is in the sky where there is no clouds when he is suddenly struck by a lightning bolt. Would he have been prepared to dodge the bolt in a cloudless sky?

But you say that Captain X has great notice. Then the probability hit just when he was blinking his eyes. Anything that can happen regardless of how improbable, can with the power.

No. The power feat Split Probability is a renamed form of Split Attack. It only applies to Probability Control, which is why it doesn't make sense for you to consider it applying to the array as a whole. Some power feats, such as Subtle, could apply to all the effects in a given array. In that case, it's an acceptable shorthand to write it down once and note that it applies to all of them. It's still being applied to each of the Alternate Powers individually, but it saves you repeating "Subtle" however many times it would take.

Interestingly, Probability Control is not Subtle by default, which means that you could be noticed using the ability.

No. The power feat Split Probability is a renamed form of Split Attack. It only applies to Probability Control, which is why it doesn't make sense for you to consider it applying to the array as a whole. Some power feats, such as Subtle, could apply to all the effects in a given array. In that case, it's an acceptable shorthand to write it down once and note that it applies to all of them. It's still being applied to each of the Alternate Powers individually, but it saves you repeating "Subtle" however many times it would take.

Interestingly, Probability Control is not Subtle by default, which means that you could be noticed using the ability.