A Flower Of A Different Color (IC)

Aoiroo

Allison needs a secretary.

Wearily blinking in the sunlight as she stepped off the bus, that was the first thing she thought.

Or some girlfriends who don't spend all there time studying for exams.

She walked down the row of shops that lined the streets and weaved through some throngs of people who somehow could be awake at this ungodly hour. Given, ten was not considered ungodly to most people, given most people don't usually get in bed at four AM on a good night.

I always tell her that I don't do freaking mornings and she has to schedule this thing at ten thirty and suddenly has to be called away for a class project.

It was somewhat sunny, but the sunglasses on her face were less about the light and more about the sunken expression she didn't want to meet the florist with. Given, it was probably obvious anyway how tired she was. Given the lack of enthusiam she had for stimulants like caffinene she would probably stay tired for the whole discussion.

Walking into the store she was sort of surprised to see that it was empty of coolers and the usual wrappings most plants get for sale. Walking over to one particular flower that she knew was out of season but was in full radient bloom she reached and touched a petal and was surprise not to feel the fuzz or slickness of plastic,

Okay, so then all these flowers are real. Well I guess I know why I had to take a bus to midtown just to get a bunch of flowers.

As the bell on the door chimed, Stesha set aside the bouquet she was tying in the back and took a moment to take off her work smock and smooth down her clothes before she went into the front. Her gold pantsuit was very cute for the fall, and matched by bright, brassy gold poppies braided into her hair. It was important to project an image of professionalism, and with her bright green hair, she had to work a little harder at that. Stepping through the door, she emerged behind the counter with a warm smile for her new customer. "Hello, welcome to Flowers by Design. I'm Stesha, how can I help you?"

Turning to the woman she gave her a once over and didn't really bat an eye. Green hair wasn't a new sight to her since she had seen crazier dos walking around in the TD. What was a bit more surprising was the fact that her eyebrows matched, which meant that either that was her actual hair color or she had paid the extra ten dollars at the hair dressers. Didn't matter, she looked plenty professional, far more professional then herself in her navy sweatpants and zipped up track jacket, so a formal air should be kept even if she was tired,

"Yes, I know the holiday season is rather busy with events, are you available any time through the twentieth to the twenty third of December?"

Stesha blinked and blew out a quiet breath at that request. An event florist, busy the week of Christmas? Perish the thought. "Well," she said carefully, professional as always, "that's Christmas week. We have a lot of parties already booked that week, and several weddings. It depends on what sort of event you're planning. What is it that you're looking to get scheduled?" she asked the young woman. This new customer looked very little like the typical customer at the shop, who tended to be upscale and either elegantly or professionally dressed. It was enough to make her curious, anyway.

Scratching the back of her head quietly she let out a soft sigh,

"It's a wedding set to take place on Christmas Eve, and it's going to be a fairly large one."

Reaching into her pocket she pulled out her note pad and skimmed passed several pages of drawings, listings of the characteristics of werewolves, notes on zombie powder and a recipe she found online for kosher smores before she found her page. Slipping the sunglasses up to the top of her head she read from the list,

"Lets see, we have eight bouquets and corsages, five botoneirs, twenty one table pieces in request two different ones to alternate between tables and one large one to indicate the table for the bride and groom. A large standing pot, that one is actually one choosen from the catalog, it was near the back a rather large piece made up of white flowers to go behind the alter. Also, flower girl flowers, probably something that hasn't been dyed or at least is assured none toxic because she's three. Ohh also, all the bouquets are different colors, seven colors of the rainbow plus a white boquet for the bride, the red one has been requested to be poinsettas because if the bride insists on a Christmas time wedding there should be at least someone actually holding a christmas flower."

Stesha just stared at the girl as she recited her list of requests, not even bothering to get out her pad and take notes the way she usually would. After she finished, there was a long moment's pause as Stesha very carefully suppressed the incredulous laugh that was trying to find it's way out. "I see..." she finally said, looking down at her calender. "I want to make sure I have this absolutely clear, with no misunderstanding. You're looking to get flowers for a wedding that is this Christmas Eve, fifty-one shopping days away?"

"Yeah, my sister is insane."

She reached up behind her ear and pulled out a pen that was hidden in her hair and began to tap quietly on the note pad,

"The proposal was only three months ago, and the date was set for the benefit of the grooms father who's military personal who secured leave for the holidays, apparently he doesn't have much left because he used it for several other family events that happened earlier in the year. So it's not really negotiable."

Stopping she let out a sigh,

"So is it doable without sending you into an early grave, or should I make the center pieces?"

Stesha shook her head. "I'm afraid we're not going to be able to help you," she said, with some amount of genuine regret. She never liked to turn people down, even people with totally impossible requests. "We already have two Christmas Eve weddings scheduled, both of which were booked almost a year ago, as well as another wedding the day before. Flowers By Design prides itself on giving our utmost attention to every client on their special day, and by trying to squeeze in another large wedding, we'd shortchange both your sister and the clients we already have contracts with."

She paused, trying to think of any advice she could give that would help. "There are a number of more traditional florists in Freedom City, some of whom are very good. They'll be well-stocked on Christmas flowers, and I'm sure some of them would be able to make up some of the bouquets and centerpieces for you. Not all of them will be the same if you go that route, but you'll get a charming diversity. Would you like me to give you some phone numbers?" she asked kindly.

"Yes please, I'm certian I can probably get one of them to do the center pieces, though Christmas flowers are a bit limited in color selection usually. For the grooms they could care less, but the bride wants the flowers to match the dresses. Making the bouquets isn't required, but could you perhaps give me the number to your supplier so I could get a good variety to make them myself. I heard the flowers from this place were always fresh dispite the season so my sister decided to ring you guys up, I wish I had prompted her to do it sooner but I was busy myself since the last month or so has been an incredible mess."

She almost unconciously looked to her right upper arm.

"Honestly, another month wouldn't have made much difference for Christmas week," Stesha confided. "People who want Christmas Eve weddings book nine months to a year ahead of time. I'm amazed you were able to get a church, actually. Our supplier is a wholesaler, but you might be able to work something out, since you're making so many pieces." Stesha jotted down a number in addition to the handful of florists she's written. "Here, when you call, ask for Michael, and tell him Stesha Madison sent you. He might be able to hook you up." She passed the sheet over to the frazzled girl.

"It's not going to be at a church, it's gonna be on a boat, and outside."

Carrie nearly shivered at the thought,

"Have I mentioned my sister is insane. Given it makes a little sense since her boyfriend is Marine while his father's Navy."

Glancing at the numbers she looked at her watch, then glanced outside there was probably a pay phone a bit down the street,

"Do you have any other advice? This whole thing is rather short notice, and I don't really hang out on the wedding scene."

Stesha glanced around to see if there was some kind of camera filming her reaction to this ridiculous scenario. "Your sister is having an outdoor wedding on the water in the middle of December in New Jersey, and you have no flowers or supplies six weeks out." She gave Carrie a level look. "Do you think you could convince her of the romance and fun of eloping?" she asked.

"Funny, but my sis isn't completely insane, the reception is going to be inside, the will be ceremony maybe ten minutes at the most. The catering, location, minister, arch, dresses, tuxes, gift lists and invitations have all already been taken care of, the flowers are literately the only thing that hasn't been taken care of already."

Letting out a yawn Carrie rubbed her eye absently,

"Anyway, now I can just say I came, I asked, I confirmed the hopelessness, and got useful phone numbers. Ohh wait I forgot one thing, my name's Caroline, sorry about the late introduction sleep deprivation is not good for the psyche."

"It's nice to meet you, Caroline," Stesha said politely. "I hope you can get everything worked out for your sister's wedding. It sounds like you're really working hard to make sure that her day is special, and I hope she appreciates that. And remember, if worst comes to worst and you just can't find anything, most people probably won't even notice if some of the table centerpieces are silk. Good luck!"

"I'm sure, well have a nice day,"

Walking out of the shop she let out a sigh and looked at her watch. She had maybe four hours until her first job, then of course her night time job. She was surprised Alli had made the appointment herself, but she couldn't be surprised. She was putting it off getting the flowers with all the recent activities. At least if she still made it pretty her sister won't be too disappointed if she gets flowers from Hobby Lobby.