Question: Immunity to Interaction Skills

This works a bit different for PC's. Since PC's are not subject to Bluff or Diplomacy checks outside of what other players/GMs actually write, I don't think you'll need it. The only way this would become important is if the there was a case of GM fiat, where the story required you to believe an NPC, no matter how inprobable the lie. In which case, this would be useful, insofar as you would be immune.

But then you run into problems with the hook of the story being lost on you, the GM has to come up with something else, etc. Although the GM probably should have realized that talking your character into it wasn't the way to go in the first place. In any case, this isn't a huge benefit. Unless your character revolves around this concept, I'd pass it up.

This works a bit different for PC's. Since PC's are not subject to Bluff or Diplomacy checks outside of what other players/GMs actually write, I don't think you'll need it. The only way this would become important is if the there was a case of GM fiat, where the story required you to believe an NPC, no matter how inprobable the lie. In which case, this would be useful, insofar as you would be immune.

But then you run into problems with the hook of the story being lost on you, the GM has to come up with something else, etc. Although the GM probably should have realized that talking your character into it wasn't the way to go in the first place. In any case, this isn't a huge benefit. Unless your character revolves around this concept, I'd pass it up.

There's always some debate about this. Here's my take:

Yes to all of the above. Basically, whenever anyone tries to use an interaction skill on you (Bluff, Intimidate, or Sense Motive), the effect is as if you succeeded on the check. Note that since Diplomacy can't be used to change the disposition of PCs, it's not really on the list. Having Immunity 5 (Interaction Skills) does not mean that you can always Bluff people or always win contested Diplomacy checks, only that you are immune to the effects when they are used on you.

As a GM I do allow NPCs and PC to try to Bluff and Sense Motive against PCs. In those cases you would always know when you are being lied to (treated just as if you succeeded on the check). People attempting to use Sense Motive against your bluffs would always fail (treated just as if you succeeded on the check).

I think that's balanced for a 5 point immunity. If the other Refs disagree, we'll have to discuss it.

Yes to all of the above. Basically, whenever anyone tries to use an interaction skill on you (Bluff, Intimidate, or Sense Motive), the effect is as if you succeeded on the check. Note that since Diplomacy can't be used to change the disposition of PCs, it's not really on the list. Having Immunity 5 (Interaction Skills) does not mean that you can always Bluff people or always win contested Diplomacy checks, only that you are immune to the effects when they are used on you.

As a GM I do allow NPCs and PC to try to Bluff and Sense Motive against PCs. In those cases you would always know when you are being lied to (treated just as if you succeeded on the check). People attempting to use Sense Motive against your bluffs would always fail (treated just as if you succeeded on the check).

I think that's balanced for a 5 point immunity. If the other Refs disagree, we'll have to discuss it.

That is one reason I took it. I wa expecting bluff and such to work against me, and maybe even Diplomacy, if the roll was high enough.

The bit about Sense Motive is pretty strong, I must admit, especially since I have it at 15 ranks +2 for wisdom already. But auto -win is a lot nicer, and fits the character well. Looks like I have a few more points to spend. Good, as my skills need broadening.

Eye

That is one reason I took it. I wa expecting bluff and such to work against me, and maybe even Diplomacy, if the roll was high enough.

The bit about Sense Motive is pretty strong, I must admit, especially since I have it at 15 ranks +2 for wisdom already. But auto -win is a lot nicer, and fits the character well. Looks like I have a few more points to spend. Good, as my skills need broadening.

Eye

Eye

By the book, Diplomacy can be used to influence the attitude of NPCs, and for "diplomacy" contests (like a presidential debate, or a contract negotiation). In case of the latter, I don't think the immunity would have any effect, since the outcome of the contest isn't really covered by the immunity, but rather affects the people listening to the debate, including your opponent. In other words, the fact that you are immune to the influence of diplomacy doesn't mean that you can always win arguments, just that you yourself will never fall victim to fancy words. You wouldn't "auto win" those kinds of contests. You'd probably need to take Ultimate Effort (Diplomacy) for something like that.

By the book, Diplomacy can be used to influence the attitude of NPCs, and for "diplomacy" contests (like a presidential debate, or a contract negotiation). In case of the latter, I don't think the immunity would have any effect, since the outcome of the contest isn't really covered by the immunity, but rather affects the people listening to the debate, including your opponent. In other words, the fact that you are immune to the influence of diplomacy doesn't mean that you can always win arguments, just that you yourself will never fall victim to fancy words. You wouldn't "auto win" those kinds of contests. You'd probably need to take Ultimate Effort (Diplomacy) for something like that.

Having immunity to Bluff and Intimidate should eliminate the need for any ranks in Sense Motive. But there is some question among the Refs as to whether or not a 5 point Immunity should include Sense Motive, though I'm sure we would all agree that you could tack it on for another PP (maybe two).

I'll keep you posted on the discussion.

Having immunity to Bluff and Intimidate should eliminate the need for any ranks in Sense Motive. But there is some question among the Refs as to whether or not a 5 point Immunity should include Sense Motive, though I'm sure we would all agree that you could tack it on for another PP (maybe two).

That is not his character. He does not win arguments all the time, he just knows humans so well that he can tell when they lie, and what they are thinking, and is immune to their petty manipulations. That version of immunity is fine.

So I respent his Sense Motive points elsewhere, so the sheet should be done.

So basically I want the immunity to make him immune to bluff, sense motive, feints in combat and so on (except for acrobatic bluff and the like) and he can auto-win sense motive checks. I do not need to give him the ability to auto-win his own bluff checks like Barnum mentioned above, I think that might be a bit iffy.

Would that be a reasonable way of running it?

That is not his character. He does not win arguments all the time, he just knows humans so well that he can tell when they lie, and what they are thinking, and is immune to their petty manipulations. That version of immunity is fine.

So basically I want the immunity to make him immune to bluff, sense motive, feints in combat and so on (except for acrobatic bluff and the like) and he can auto-win sense motive checks. I do not need to give him the ability to auto-win his own bluff checks like Barnum mentioned above, I think that might be a bit iffy.

Yeah, by the book, Immunity 5 (Interaction Skills) would make you immune to all the skills listed as "interaction": Bluff, Diplomacy (of little to no use for PCs), Gather Information (of no use to PCs), Handle Animal (no use to PCs), and Intimidate. If someone tried to use those skills on you, the result would be the same as if you won the check. You would also, by default, be immune to any Bluff-related feinting (but not Acrobatic Bluff, Moving Feint, etc.)

If you want him to know what they are thinking, that would require some kind of Mind Reading. Immunity to Bluff does not mean you automatically succeed on all uses of Sense Motive. You would not, for example, automatically succeed on Evaluate checks or Notice Influence checks.