Shaggy Dog

Lone Star

Gregory's eyebrows raised. "Wow, no kidding, huh? That's awesome. I've got a place not too far from where I work- not too much to look at. It's comfortable though. A big change from college, for sure. It's nice to finally have my own washer and dryer. Plus, no annoying roommates. Oh man- I have to tell you about this one roommate I had..." Gregory gestured a little as he went into his story. "So the guy locked himself in his room like the whole year. When he got back from his class, he didn't even speak to me, just shut the door. God knows what he did in there. I peeked in one time, he had all these books spread out. Probably doing some kind of magic hoodoo, I thought. But it turned out...he was playing Dungeons and Dragons."

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"So the guy locked himself in his room like the whole year. When he got back from his class, he didn't even speak to me, just shut the door. God knows what he did in there. I peeked in one time, he had all these books spread out. Probably doing some kind of magic hoodoo, I thought. But it turned out...he was playing Dungeons and Dragons."

At this, Estelle gestured emphatically as she finished chewing a mouthful of food.

"Mmm, I had a boyfriend my second year at Harvard who tried to get me into that! One of his friends was the Dungeonmaster, and he couldn't stand me for some reason; I was eaten by a pudding the second time we played."

She laughed out loud at the memory, much louder than her usual laugh.

"And Terry got so mad! He was arguing that I should have had a saving throw of some sort, and I said, 'Look, it's okay, I was bored out of my mind anyway!'"

She dabbed at the corner of her eyes with a napkin.

"Oh, they all took it so seriously! Terry was a genius, but it didn't last; ah well, college romance!"

"Oh wow. You know what, Estelle?" Gregory raised his glass. "A toast! To college romance." He grinned in pleasure and slyness. He was really happy he met her- she was an intelligent, sincere, and very beautiful woman. The one thing that pressed on Gregory's mind was how he would perform patrolling with her. He felt outclassed when Avenger showed up to help him- it worried him a little bit. He hoped she would understand that he was just a man. But not just any man! He was a superhero. All of these thoughts happened within two seconds, and if Estelle noticed anything, it was his smile faltering, but only for a moment.

"A toast! To college romance."

Estelle raised her glass and beamed. "To college romance!" In many ways, the toast couldn't be more accurate; Gregory reminded her of several guys she dated in college: smart, good-looking and athletic (well, except for Terry, who was a bit of an experiment). Her friend Lizzy often joked that Stelle and her boyfriends always looked like they walked out of a J. Crew catalog, which made her laugh because sadly, it was often true.

But a cute crime-fighting veterinarian? What woman could resist that!

I am really looking forward to tomorrow night; my first patrol-date!