Disco Fever [1972]

Icarus's fourth realization probably should have come before the first three. He's standing in the middle of Pennsylvania Street, and a car runs straight into him. Surprisingly, he bounces back a few steps. He's still uninjured, thanks to his armor.

"Usually, cars nowadays just crumple," he thinks as he looks back for the final shock. The car that ran into him is a pristine 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. At least, it was pristine. Now, it's sporting a man-sized dent across the hood, and the person inside is slumped over the steering wheel. He wasn't wearing a seatbelt, and there was no airbag.

Icarus quickly goes to the side of the car and opens the front door. He checks for a pulse. As he does so, he sees that the man's still breathing, so he stops. He pauses for a second, then looks around the area again.

"Son of a gun. I went back in time, didn't I," he says. Other cars have stopped due to the accident, and some of the drivers are getting out. Icarus looks to the first one.

"Can you go call 911? This man is hurt, and I don't think it's a good idea to move him," Icarus says. He takes a step back before he takes off, wobbily. The damage from the fall is still hampering his systems.

As he flies over the city, he can see that the landscape is from the '70s. The Boardwalk still has that sleazy air to it. When he's gone a few blocks from where he was, he lands near a newspaper bin and checks the date. When he sees it, his blood runs cold.

"January 20, 1972. The day my father died," he says. He tries to take off again, but the suit emits an audible 'pop', and Sean can tell that it's offline. He can only fly with his natural ability, which is slower than driving a car. Of course, it's also more direct, so he takes off and starts flying at about 20 miles an hour towards Haas Jewelers.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Icarus's fourth realization probably should have come before the first three. He's standing in the middle of Pennsylvania Street, and a car runs straight into him. Surprisingly, he bounces back a few steps. He's still uninjured, thanks to his armor.

"Usually, cars nowadays just crumple," he thinks as he looks back for the final shock. The car that ran into him is a pristine 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. At least, it was pristine. Now, it's sporting a man-sized dent across the hood, and the person inside is slumped over the steering wheel. He wasn't wearing a seatbelt, and there was no airbag.

Icarus quickly goes to the side of the car and opens the front door. He checks for a pulse. As he does so, he sees that the man's still breathing, so he stops. He pauses for a second, then looks around the area again.

"Son of a gun. I went back in time, didn't I," he says. Other cars have stopped due to the accident, and some of the drivers are getting out. Icarus looks to the first one.

"Can you go call 911? This man is hurt, and I don't think it's a good idea to move him," Icarus says. He takes a step back before he takes off, wobbily. The damage from the fall is still hampering his systems.

As he flies over the city, he can see that the landscape is from the '70s. The Boardwalk still has that sleazy air to it. When he's gone a few blocks from where he was, he lands near a newspaper bin and checks the date. When he sees it, his blood runs cold.

"January 20, 1972. The day my father died," he says. He tries to take off again, but the suit emits an audible 'pop', and Sean can tell that it's offline. He can only fly with his natural ability, which is slower than driving a car. Of course, it's also more direct, so he takes off and starts flying at about 20 miles an hour towards Haas Jewelers.

Four men wearing ski masks burst out from the jewelry store, each carrying a bag full of ill-gotten gains. They seem to be wielding some sort of oversized energy rifles. They're both futuristic and antiquated at the same time, like the way that Popular Science had always imagined "guns of the future!", or the weapons from Star Trek.

From the west, a man flies down to join them in battle. He's wearing a suit of armor that looks like it was welded out of sheet metal, and its seams suggest that it wasn't by a particularly skilled welder. Despite that, it was flying, so the person who designed it was probably better at the science part than actually getting it built. He lands on the first one, and shoots a bolt of grayish energy at another one, who dodges it.

Four men wearing ski masks burst out from the jewelry store, each carrying a bag full of ill-gotten gains. They seem to be wielding some sort of oversized energy rifles. They're both futuristic and antiquated at the same time, like the way that Popular Science had always imagined "guns of the future!", or the weapons from Star Trek.

From the west, a man flies down to join them in battle. He's wearing a suit of armor that looks like it was welded out of sheet metal, and its seams suggest that it wasn't by a particularly skilled welder. Despite that, it was flying, so the person who designed it was probably better at the science part than actually getting it built. He lands on the first one, and shoots a bolt of grayish energy at another one, who dodges it.

"How well do you know Icarus' powers? Like, is he a mad scientist type who keeps inventing stuff, or does he have trouble controlling his powers or something? Because this is seriously weird, am I right?"

"Not too well," Nanowire admitted, squatting down so he could get a better view. Pointless really, as he could see things miles away as if he was right next to them. "We only did one job - ah, well, you already know about that, but I was under the impression teleporting was new for him." The rest of his explanation was muted. He didn't want to advertise his past.

"...ohmigod, I want those boots!"...

She looks eagerly down at her legs, and a gray mist swirls around her lower extremities, leaving her sporting a near identical pair with the matching skirt and tights; from the waist up, her costume is still the same, and the contrast is rather jarring.

"God, I love these! Okay, okay, gotta focus, back to the business at hand."

It was science's loss that it was physically impossible for Nanowire to make his incredulity known after Grim's fashion-oriented outburst. The best he could come up with was a weak, "Um..." as she demonstrated her powers. Shapeshifter, indeed.

"Do you always look like that, or do you have other options? Like a car or helicopter and stuff?"

That was a definite sticking point for him. What did he do now? Say no, and hope they didn't have to interact with normal people? He was about to do some sort of compromise, perhaps cracking his armor and stepping out so she could see that there was a "real person" inside, when that option was suddenly and fortuitously stripped away from them.

The appearance of robbers with guns meant the time for talk was over. "Sorry, you'll have to take a rain check on that," Nanowire said as he spyed the other power armored guy flying in. He then straighted back up and turned to face her. One could almost imagine a grin underneath his skull mask as he said, "We got some heroing to do."

"How well do you know Icarus' powers? Like, is he a mad scientist type who keeps inventing stuff, or does he have trouble controlling his powers or something? Because this is seriously weird, am I right?"

"Not too well," Nanowire admitted, squatting down so he could get a better view. Pointless really, as he could see things miles away as if he was right next to them. "We only did one job - ah, well, you already know about that, but I was under the impression teleporting was new for him." The rest of his explanation was muted. He didn't want to advertise his past.

She looks eagerly down at her legs, and a gray mist swirls around her lower extremities, leaving her sporting a near identical pair with the matching skirt and tights; from the waist up, her costume is still the same, and the contrast is rather jarring.

It was science's loss that it was physically impossible for Nanowire to make his incredulity known after Grim's fashion-oriented outburst. The best he could come up with was a weak, "Um..." as she demonstrated her powers. Shapeshifter, indeed.

"Do you always look like that, or do you have other options? Like a car or helicopter and stuff?"

That was a definite sticking point for him. What did he do now? Say no, and hope they didn't have to interact with normal people? He was about to do some sort of compromise, perhaps cracking his armor and stepping out so she could see that there was a "real person" inside, when that option was suddenly and fortuitously stripped away from them.

The appearance of robbers with guns meant the time for talk was over. "Sorry, you'll have to take a rain check on that," Nanowire said as he spyed the other power armored guy flying in. He then straighted back up and turned to face her. One could almost imagine a grin underneath his skull mask as he said, "We got some heroing to do."

Grim laughs and shakes her head at Nano's new gung-ho crimefighting attitude.

"Man, I am such a bad influence on you; I hope you don't end up like my last skull-headed boyfriend."

With a sigh, she looks forlornly down at her retro-fashionable lower half.

"Bye-bye, boots - Mommy has to go to work now, but I can assure you you've been added to the regular rotation."

The mist returns, bringing back the rest of her more battle-ready costume; she flashes her unorthodox new 'partner' a big smile.

"And on that note, off we go!"

Grim leaps gracefully off the roof, twisting in mid-air to reduce her impact when she lands on the pavement below.

"Man, I am such a bad influence on you; I hope you don't end up like my last skull-headed boyfriend."

"Bye-bye, boots - Mommy has to go to work now, but I can assure you you've been added to the regular rotation."

The mist returns, bringing back the rest of her more battle-ready costume; she flashes her unorthodox new 'partner' a big smile.

Grim leaps gracefully off the roof, twisting in mid-air to reduce her impact when she lands on the pavement below.

Velocity's ruminations are interrupted by three flyers coming overhead. It only takes a moment for her to recognize the group, based on their identical looks and the faint hum emanating from them. It's the Furies Three - Alecto, Megara, and Tisiphone. They appear to be flying south-southeast, though it's not clear what their final destination is.

Velocity knows that while she could probably take one without a problem, and maybe two, all three of them would probably get the best of her. Fortunately, it looks like there's someone else coming behind them fast. They don't seem to notice the blond-haired, golden-chested, caped...

That's no ordinary superhero, if such a thing could be said to exist. The man flying up behind the Furies Three is Centurion, in the flesh, and a far better copy than the Alpha Centurion that Omega once sent back. Everything seems to be falling into place. That might not be a copy after all...

Velocity's ruminations are interrupted by three flyers coming overhead. It only takes a moment for her to recognize the group, based on their identical looks and the faint hum emanating from them. It's the Furies Three - Alecto, Megara, and Tisiphone. They appear to be flying south-southeast, though it's not clear what their final destination is.

Velocity knows that while she could probably take one without a problem, and maybe two, all three of them would probably get the best of her. Fortunately, it looks like there's someone else coming behind them fast. They don't seem to notice the blond-haired, golden-chested, caped...

That's no ordinary superhero, if such a thing could be said to exist. The man flying up behind the Furies Three is Centurion, in the flesh, and a far better copy than the Alpha Centurion that Omega once sent back. Everything seems to be falling into place. That might not be a copy after all...

Last skull-headed boyfriend? She's had another one? Nanowire thought as he followed after Grimalkin. Then- Wait, BOYFRIEND?!

Nanowire's decent to the ground was not anywhere nearly as graceful as Grim's, despite the fact that he could fly. In fact, it looked as if he fell most of the way, only barely catching himself before his half ton of ballistic polymer armor and nanotech exoskeleton met with the sidewalk. He tried to look over at her to see if she had been serious, but Grim had already dashed over, clearly intending to take on the ray gun wielding robbers hand to hand.

No time to wonder about that now, he supposed, and rushed across the street to engage the men.

At no time did he think about the bizarre nature of his sudden transformation from reluctant criminal to eager superhero.

Last skull-headed boyfriend? She's had another one? Nanowire thought as he followed after Grimalkin. Then- Wait, BOYFRIEND?!

Nanowire's decent to the ground was not anywhere nearly as graceful as Grim's, despite the fact that he could fly. In fact, it looked as if he fell most of the way, only barely catching himself before his half ton of ballistic polymer armor and nanotech exoskeleton met with the sidewalk. He tried to look over at her to see if she had been serious, but Grim had already dashed over, clearly intending to take on the ray gun wielding robbers hand to hand.

No time to wonder about that now, he supposed, and rushed across the street to engage the men.

At no time did he think about the bizarre nature of his sudden transformation from reluctant criminal to eager superhero.

Grimalkin manages to blunt the worst of the fall, though she still has to avoid turning her ankle at the last moment. The robbers are across the road, which appears to be free of cars.

Only one of them notices the other two people coming down, as the first hero has taken most of their attention. He takes a shot point-blank in the chestplate from one of the robbers. It doesn't seem to hurt him much, and he's still able to move out of the way of the shot from the man he previously knocked to the ground. The second attack to hit does more damage, and he seems to freeze up for a second.

Meanwhile, the one robber who sees Nanowire descending from above releases a blast which catches him off-guard. The energy shot has some real power behind it, though Nanowire can probably take it.

The armored man shakes off his momentary lapse and releases a burst of gray energy around his position. The man on the ground appears to pass out, and the man who shot at Nanowire is caught off-guard, stunning him briefly.

Grimalkin manages to blunt the worst of the fall, though she still has to avoid turning her ankle at the last moment. The robbers are across the road, which appears to be free of cars.

Only one of them notices the other two people coming down, as the first hero has taken most of their attention. He takes a shot point-blank in the chestplate from one of the robbers. It doesn't seem to hurt him much, and he's still able to move out of the way of the shot from the man he previously knocked to the ground. The second attack to hit does more damage, and he seems to freeze up for a second.

Meanwhile, the one robber who sees Nanowire descending from above releases a blast which catches him off-guard. The energy shot has some real power behind it, though Nanowire can probably take it.

The armored man shakes off his momentary lapse and releases a burst of gray energy around his position. The man on the ground appears to pass out, and the man who shot at Nanowire is caught off-guard, stunning him briefly.

Centurion overtakes the Furies Three and heads past them. It seems like they're both headed to the same eventual location. This raises the question of why Centurion didn't try to attack the villainesses, but maybe he has a higher priority. Villains love to force heroes into impossible decisions to make their escapes, but something still doesn't add up there.

The Furies themselves are flying at 20 feet above the rooftops, though there's a couple of higher buildings just ahead that could allow for someone to jump down upon them unawares. The problem of how to separate them from one another (to avoid a triple-team attack) still looms.

Centurion overtakes the Furies Three and heads past them. It seems like they're both headed to the same eventual location. This raises the question of why Centurion didn't try to attack the villainesses, but maybe he has a higher priority. Villains love to force heroes into impossible decisions to make their escapes, but something still doesn't add up there.

The Furies themselves are flying at 20 feet above the rooftops, though there's a couple of higher buildings just ahead that could allow for someone to jump down upon them unawares. The problem of how to separate them from one another (to avoid a triple-team attack) still looms.

Grim hits the ground a little harder than she thought she would, but still manages to avoid injury as she drops down to a crouch and has a little wind knocked out of her.

"Oof!"

But in a flash she's up and running, quickly looking both ways as she dashes across the street to sucker punch the nearest robber, attempting to rake his back with her claws.

Grim hits the ground a little harder than she thought she would, but still manages to avoid injury as she drops down to a crouch and has a little wind knocked out of her.

"Oof!"

But in a flash she's up and running, quickly looking both ways as she dashes across the street to sucker punch the nearest robber, attempting to rake his back with her claws.