Disco Fever [1972]

The one in the worst shape answers back rather sharply. "Uh, you just hit us when we were just flying along. I'm pretty sure that's assault and battery. That'd make you the criminal."

One of the others says, "Hush, Panegyric. She looks confused. I don't think she knows who we are, or else she wouldn't ask why Centurion wasn't after us."

The last one says, "Remember where we're heading, Aria, Panegyric? Power Corps attacking Haas Jewelers? This can wait, unless she wants to fight us when it isn't a surprise." She cracks her knuckles a little, ready for battle in case Velocity's pause turns out to be a ruse.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one in the worst shape answers back rather sharply. "Uh, you just hit us when we were just flying along. I'm pretty sure that's assault and battery. That'd make you the criminal."

One of the others says, "Hush, Panegyric. She looks confused. I don't think she knows who we are, or else she wouldn't ask why Centurion wasn't after us."

The last one says, "Remember where we're heading, Aria, Panegyric? Power Corps attacking Haas Jewelers? This can wait, unless she wants to fight us when it isn't a surprise." She cracks her knuckles a little, ready for battle in case Velocity's pause turns out to be a ruse.

"We just can't catch a break, Teenage Caveman," she says.

"Indeed. It seems as though those of the more heroic persuasion always interject themselves where they are not desired, Calendar Girl," the ape-man, Teenage Caveman, answers. Despite his savage appearance, his voice is deep and cultured, vaguely British upper-crust.

The two of them look around, trying to spot the source of the levitation. Teenage Caveman sees a man in a mask, and assumes (correctly) that he is the source of the problem. He reacts by leaping from the car, landing about 10 feet away from Teke. His jump was clearly superhuman, as he cleared over 20 feet in height alone. Calendar Girl doesn't seem to be doing anything at the moment. She is still sitting at the driver's seat of the convertible.

Woah! No need to get angry Teen-age cave....man. You were just driving a little erratically. I was just trying to help you gain control of your vehicle. Seth was a little out of his element...too much going on too soon. "Not looking for a fight. Just wanting to be a good Samaritan. I can put the car down at any time. It's not damaged at all."

"Indeed. It seems as though those of the more heroic persuasion always interject themselves where they are not desired, Calendar Girl," the ape-man, Teenage Caveman, answers. Despite his savage appearance, his voice is deep and cultured, vaguely British upper-crust.

The two of them look around, trying to spot the source of the levitation. Teenage Caveman sees a man in a mask, and assumes (correctly) that he is the source of the problem. He reacts by leaping from the car, landing about 10 feet away from Teke. His jump was clearly superhuman, as he cleared over 20 feet in height alone. Calendar Girl doesn't seem to be doing anything at the moment. She is still sitting at the driver's seat of the convertible.

Woah! No need to get angry Teen-age cave....man. You were just driving a little erratically. I was just trying to help you gain control of your vehicle. Seth was a little out of his element...too much going on too soon. "Not looking for a fight. Just wanting to be a good Samaritan. I can put the car down at any time. It's not damaged at all."

"Ah. I see. Well, I'm quite glad that we need not resort to fisticuffs. It is too lovely a January day to spoil it with violence. I assure you that I will ensure that Calendar drives more sedately in the immediate future," Teenage Caveman says as he brushes his hands together. The other people in the area have scattered. They seemed somewhat afraid of the large man jumping into their midst, and the possibility of a super-powered fight.

If Teke does lower the car once again, Teenage Caveman will tip a imaginary hat in gratitude, then leap back to the side of the car, climb inside, and get ready for Calendar Girl to drive off again. Teke can faintly hear her say, "There was something odd about him, T.C. ..." as she does so.

"Ah. I see. Well, I'm quite glad that we need not resort to fisticuffs. It is too lovely a January day to spoil it with violence. I assure you that I will ensure that Calendar drives more sedately in the immediate future," Teenage Caveman says as he brushes his hands together. The other people in the area have scattered. They seemed somewhat afraid of the large man jumping into their midst, and the possibility of a super-powered fight.

If Teke does lower the car once again, Teenage Caveman will tip a imaginary hat in gratitude, then leap back to the side of the car, climb inside, and get ready for Calendar Girl to drive off again. Teke can faintly hear her say, "There was something odd about him, T.C. ..." as she does so.

"God, I am so useless today! Why don't you just melt them down to the bone and get this over with? We can squeegee them into the drains or something before the cops show up!"

That certainly got Nanowire's attention. In fact, it managed to do more to occupy him than the bad guys, as all of them engaged their cloaking belts and began sneaking away. Not that he couldn't still detect them, but he figured they would be all the more surprised when he started beating them into unconsciousness while they thought they were protected. It was only after Grim gave him a mischievous grin that he realized he'd been fooled. Again. If she wasn't so cute when she did it... Nanowire grumbled mentally.

Then the man who'd originally engaged the robbers started speaking to them. Before now, Nanowire hadn't really been paying attention, but with the lull in battle, his powers bore a certain resemblance to Heavy... er, Icarus's. The face, too. "That's nice, but..."

He left off as he sensed the guy who'd stayed behind raising his energy rifle. With his helmet off, there was no way the man could absorb a shot from that thing. "NO!" He shouted, rearing forwards and pushing the man to the ground. With his other arm, he ripped a large chunk of concrete out of the nearby wall and flung it at the would-be murderer.

"God, I am so useless today! Why don't you just melt them down to the bone and get this over with? We can squeegee them into the drains or something before the cops show up!"

That certainly got Nanowire's attention. In fact, it managed to do more to occupy him than the bad guys, as all of them engaged their cloaking belts and began sneaking away. Not that he couldn't still detect them, but he figured they would be all the more surprised when he started beating them into unconsciousness while they thought they were protected. It was only after Grim gave him a mischievous grin that he realized he'd been fooled. Again. If she wasn't so cute when she did it... Nanowire grumbled mentally.

Then the man who'd originally engaged the robbers started speaking to them. Before now, Nanowire hadn't really been paying attention, but with the lull in battle, his powers bore a certain resemblance to Heavy... er, Icarus's. The face, too. "That's nice, but..."

He left off as he sensed the guy who'd stayed behind raising his energy rifle. With his helmet off, there was no way the man could absorb a shot from that thing. "NO!" He shouted, rearing forwards and pushing the man to the ground. With his other arm, he ripped a large chunk of concrete out of the nearby wall and flung it at the would-be murderer.

To anyone watching, it looks like Nanowire just defaced a wall for no reason, that is, until the piece of concrete stops in mid-air as it collides with the invisible bandit. He shimmers back into sight as he falls to the ground, unconscious. His energy rifle clatters to the ground, and it's clear what he had been attempting to do.

The man in the battlesuit slowly lifts himself up. He looks like he's shocked by what just happened.

"I... think I owe you more than just thanks. You saved my life," he says. He takes a step forward, suddenly angry as he hears his own words. "I should... he's going to jail for attempted murder," he says as he brings himself back under control. He looks up in the sky.

"And there's someone who can take him there," he says as he waves to the man who is coming in for a landing. "Hello Centurion! Three of them ran off, but there's two here... and one of them tried to kill me. These heroes stopped them from succeeding."

Centurion looks grim. "This city is growing darker by the day. Thank you... I don't think I know your names."

To anyone watching, it looks like Nanowire just defaced a wall for no reason, that is, until the piece of concrete stops in mid-air as it collides with the invisible bandit. He shimmers back into sight as he falls to the ground, unconscious. His energy rifle clatters to the ground, and it's clear what he had been attempting to do.

The man in the battlesuit slowly lifts himself up. He looks like he's shocked by what just happened.

"I... think I owe you more than just thanks. You saved my life," he says. He takes a step forward, suddenly angry as he hears his own words. "I should... he's going to jail for attempted murder," he says as he brings himself back under control. He looks up in the sky.

"And there's someone who can take him there," he says as he waves to the man who is coming in for a landing. "Hello Centurion! Three of them ran off, but there's two here... and one of them tried to kill me. These heroes stopped them from succeeding."

Centurion looks grim. "This city is growing darker by the day. Thank you... I don't think I know your names."

"Fine, if you're now a good guy, then let's head to the crime. Centurion's going to have all the fun," Panegyric says. Aria shakes her head.

"You're too damaged to get there, Panegyric. Paean and I will take the newcomer there. We haven't seen her around the city; she probably doesn't know the way," she says.

Paean lifts off and starts flying away before Panegyric can start arguing with Aria.

"Fine, if you're now a good guy, then let's head to the crime. Centurion's going to have all the fun," Panegyric says. Aria shakes her head.

"You're too damaged to get there, Panegyric. Paean and I will take the newcomer there. We haven't seen her around the city; she probably doesn't know the way," she says.

Paean lifts off and starts flying away before Panegyric can start arguing with Aria.

After seeing him smack the so-called invisible guy in the...well, in the body with the massive concrete slab, Grim looks at Nano with what looks to be honest-to-goodness admiration.

"Dude, that was totally awesome!"

However the sudden arrival of the freakin' Centurion does something that hasn't happened in nearly twenty years: Grim is at a loss for words, as she stares in slack-jawed wonder at the flying guardian of Freedom City. It lasts all of fifteen seconds.

"Uh, we ah...my name's Grimalkin, sir."

She bows deeply from the waist, like she was meeting the Emperor of Japan.

"It's an honor to meet you, sir."

Grim then stands at attention, with her hands behind her back, head slightly bowed as she nervously shifts her weight back and forth.

After seeing him smack the so-called invisible guy in the...well, in the body with the massive concrete slab, Grim looks at Nano with what looks to be honest-to-goodness admiration.

However the sudden arrival of the freakin' Centurion does something that hasn't happened in nearly twenty years: Grim is at a loss for words, as she stares in slack-jawed wonder at the flying guardian of Freedom City. It lasts all of fifteen seconds.

Grim then stands at attention, with her hands behind her back, head slightly bowed as she nervously shifts her weight back and forth.

Centurion looks back to Grimalkin. His face softens slightly, and he nods back to her. It's safe to bet that if Nanowire had been similarly worshipful, he would have received a much terser response. However, it was never said that Centurion was impolite to a lady - especially one that helped save lives. He'll wait for Nanowire to introduce himself as well before continuing.

"I thought I saw the Chorale coming behind me. They can keep the crowds away. I'll fly these two to the precinct house. Maybe they'll crack and give up where their buddies are meeting up," he says. "Gravitor, remember what I told you about taking off that helmet of yours. You're a lot softer than it is."

The battlesuited hero, apparently called Gravitor, might have protested, except that the near-death experience was still fresh in his mind. He swallows and nods his assent.

"Maybe I'll get my kid to weld it better. He's always been better with a blowtorch than I've been," Gravitor says.

Centurion looks back to Grimalkin. His face softens slightly, and he nods back to her. It's safe to bet that if Nanowire had been similarly worshipful, he would have received a much terser response. However, it was never said that Centurion was impolite to a lady - especially one that helped save lives. He'll wait for Nanowire to introduce himself as well before continuing.

"I thought I saw the Chorale coming behind me. They can keep the crowds away. I'll fly these two to the precinct house. Maybe they'll crack and give up where their buddies are meeting up," he says. "Gravitor, remember what I told you about taking off that helmet of yours. You're a lot softer than it is."

The battlesuited hero, apparently called Gravitor, might have protested, except that the near-death experience was still fresh in his mind. He swallows and nods his assent.

"Maybe I'll get my kid to weld it better. He's always been better with a blowtorch than I've been," Gravitor says.

Nanowire was honestly surprised with his actions in defense of a man he hardly knew. Yeah, he didn't like it if people got hurt, but for the most part, it wasn't his problem. Or maybe that was it; the situation would have been his problem if the man had gotten killed. And certainly Grimalkin's praise was more than satisfying.

And then Centurion showed up. Reality had taken a radical departure from the it's normal course.

"I sat on his head," Nanowire whispered to himself, gaping, in his own non-expressive way, at the greatest superhuman that ever lived.

Then his brain woke up again and started hammering away at this quandary. The old buildings, plus the old cars, plus the appearance of a man known to be dead, equaled one unlikely, but somehow inescapable, conclusion. They were in the past. Occam's Razor strikes again.

He shook off the shock of his discovery and said, "Roboman, sir. I'm... new in town." A lie, but far from the worst thing he'd ever done. Besides, he was fairly certain nobody back in... whatever bygone era this was would know about nanotechnology.