Disco Fever [1972]

Icarus steps out of the portal. Immediately, he can tell something is wrong. The portal closed right behind him, and Nanowire (and maybe that girl he seems so fond of) didn't come through. He wasn't where he intended to show up either. He's on Pennsylvania Street, west of Atlantis. He was trying to head towards the railspur in Greenbank.

He takes a deep breath and takes off the helm to look around. That's when he's hit with the third surprise. It had been night when he had made the portal. It's daytime now. He looks around, confused. This is definitely Freedom City. He didn't teleport to Japan or something. How is it daytime?

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Icarus steps out of the portal. Immediately, he can tell something is wrong. The portal closed right behind him, and Nanowire (and maybe that girl he seems so fond of) didn't come through. He wasn't where he intended to show up either. He's on Pennsylvania Street, west of Atlantis. He was trying to head towards the railspur in Greenbank.

He takes a deep breath and takes off the helm to look around. That's when he's hit with the third surprise. It had been night when he had made the portal. It's daytime now. He looks around, confused. This is definitely Freedom City. He didn't teleport to Japan or something. How is it daytime?

It's time to wake up, honey.

Somebody was talking to him. He tried to bury himself under the sheets. He didn't want to wake up yet. It was nice here.

Renichi? It's time to get up.

Warm. Safe. He liked it here. But the voice was familiar. His mother? He couldn't tell.

Come on, honey. It's time to get up.

Why?

Because you're dead.

"NO!" Nanowire lurched up off the ground, arms flailing about. He looked around wildly, desperately unaware of where he was or what had gone on. The lack of everything he expected all fell upon him at the same time. If he'd been human, he would be hyperventilating and his heart would be pounding. But there was nothing. The panic only lasted as long as it took him to ascertain that he wasn't under attack. Nanowire was almost disappointed it hadn't gone on longer. At least he felt like a person while it did.

With his emotions under control, he tried to find out exactly where he was, only to find that he was not alone. Underneath him, sleeping like an angel, was Grimalkin. For a moment, Nanowire had no idea what she was doing there. Then the events of the previous area they'd been in caught up with him. How Heavy... no, Icarus's portal had dragged them into it, spitting them out... here. Wherever "here" was.

He looked down on her for a few moments, trying to decide what to do. It certainly didn't appear good, him straddling her like that. Worse, he didn't even know how he'd ended up in this position. But Nanowire supposed it was fortunate he didn't land on her fully. Crushing the first person that gave a damn about him since he'd been in town would not be the greatest thing that had ever happened to him.

Nanowire clambered to the side and poked Grimalkin in the side lightly. "Um... Grim?" Great, why don't you slap her awake while you're at it? He tried shaking her shoulder a bit, hoping that would be a slightly easier wake up call. "Grim?"

Somebody was talking to him. He tried to bury himself under the sheets. He didn't want to wake up yet. It was nice here.

Warm. Safe. He liked it here. But the voice was familiar. His mother? He couldn't tell.

Why?

Because you're dead.

"NO!" Nanowire lurched up off the ground, arms flailing about. He looked around wildly, desperately unaware of where he was or what had gone on. The lack of everything he expected all fell upon him at the same time. If he'd been human, he would be hyperventilating and his heart would be pounding. But there was nothing. The panic only lasted as long as it took him to ascertain that he wasn't under attack. Nanowire was almost disappointed it hadn't gone on longer. At least he felt like a person while it did.

With his emotions under control, he tried to find out exactly where he was, only to find that he was not alone. Underneath him, sleeping like an angel, was Grimalkin. For a moment, Nanowire had no idea what she was doing there. Then the events of the previous area they'd been in caught up with him. How Heavy... no, Icarus's portal had dragged them into it, spitting them out... here. Wherever "here" was.

He looked down on her for a few moments, trying to decide what to do. It certainly didn't appear good, him straddling her like that. Worse, he didn't even know how he'd ended up in this position. But Nanowire supposed it was fortunate he didn't land on her fully. Crushing the first person that gave a damn about him since he'd been in town would not be the greatest thing that had ever happened to him.

Nanowire clambered to the side and poked Grimalkin in the side lightly. "Um... Grim?" Great, why don't you slap her awake while you're at it? He tried shaking her shoulder a bit, hoping that would be a slightly easier wake up call. "Grim?"

Why?

Because you're dead.

Nanowire's attempts to wake Grimalkin up gently, while chivalrous, soon prove futile. A piercing alarm goes off from the building across the street, obliviating the brief quiet that had settled after Icarus' portal did whatever it did. It looks like the building, Haas Jewelers, is in the middle of being robbed in broad daylight.

...wait, daylight?

Nanowire's attempts to wake Grimalkin up gently, while chivalrous, soon prove futile. A piercing alarm goes off from the building across the street, obliviating the brief quiet that had settled after Icarus' portal did whatever it did. It looks like the building, Haas Jewelers, is in the middle of being robbed in broad daylight.

...wait, daylight?

...wait, daylight?

Nanowire's head jerked up as the alarm went off and he groaned. This was the last thing he needed. An unconscious girl on the ground and a jewelry store getting robbed. In broad day light.

...wait, daylight?

That didn't make any sense. It was just night out. Did Icarus screw up and teleport them across the world? Whatever was going on, Nanowire was tempted to let the robbery go. It didn't affect him any. Then he looked back down at the slumbering bundle of girl at his knees and sighed. "" he grumbled in Japanese. ""

He couldn't just leave Grimalkin laying there on the ground, so he scooped her up in his arms, noticing how she had this cute way of scrunching up her nose when she breathed in. Don't you go and wake up on me now, he mentally ordered her. Using a light touch, Nanowire floated himself and his burden up on top of a nearby rooftop. At least they'd be less conspicuous up there.

Once he got situated, he was going to set her down. Then he saw more of the street. How everybody was driving cars at least a quarter century out of date, with clothes to match. ""

Nanowire's head jerked up as the alarm went off and he groaned. This was the last thing he needed. An unconscious girl on the ground and a jewelry store getting robbed. In broad day light.

...wait, daylight?

That didn't make any sense. It was just night out. Did Icarus screw up and teleport them across the world? Whatever was going on, Nanowire was tempted to let the robbery go. It didn't affect him any. Then he looked back down at the slumbering bundle of girl at his knees and sighed. "" he grumbled in Japanese. ""

He couldn't just leave Grimalkin laying there on the ground, so he scooped her up in his arms, noticing how she had this cute way of scrunching up her nose when she breathed in. Don't you go and wake up on me now, he mentally ordered her. Using a light touch, Nanowire floated himself and his burden up on top of a nearby rooftop. At least they'd be less conspicuous up there.

Once he got situated, he was going to set her down. Then he saw more of the street. How everybody was driving cars at least a quarter century out of date, with clothes to match. "

...wait, daylight?

Once he got situated, he was going to set her down. Then he saw more of the street. How everybody was driving cars at least a quarter century out of date, with clothes to match. "

Seth woke up in bed, which was weird. Because he didn't remember going to bed. He thought he had been fighting some daedulus looking guy and a robot...with Megan. Maybe he was just dreaming.

There was a sharp pain in his temple, and he wanted to savor the last moment before he opened his eyes and the headaches started. And then he was sure he was hearing Sly and the family Stones.

Which was fine. I, mean, Seth loves Sly. And Family Affair is a classic. But he wasn't at 70's rock in his rotation right now. He was in the Keytar period of the 80's.

He slowly opened his eyes....he was surrounded by dozens and dozens of mattresses. Among other things. There was a man with a leisure suit and a port-stache starring at him. He had a nametag on. It said "Butch".

"Do you like the bed sir? We don't normally let people lay on them, until after their parents buy them."

Sorry! Seth said, perhaps a little too loudly. And he awkwardly tried to get off the bed. Only it was much softer than he was used to, and he kept rolling back towards the center over and over again. It took him 7 tries to get off of the bed completely. And he could feel the blood draining from his face.

It gave him a chance to look around. and see that he was being starred out by dozen's of pairs of eyes. In some of the ugliet pieces of fashion he had ever committed to visual memory. "I gotta go." He stammered.

He left through the front door. The sign above it said "Becky's Mattress House."

And that's when he saw how different the skyline looked. "Holy F*&#"

A mother walking with her child bent to cover her little girls ears. Her look could have frosted glass.

Seth woke up in bed, which was weird. Because he didn't remember going to bed. He thought he had been fighting some daedulus looking guy and a robot...with Megan. Maybe he was just dreaming.

There was a sharp pain in his temple, and he wanted to savor the last moment before he opened his eyes and the headaches started. And then he was sure he was hearing Sly and the family Stones.

Which was fine. I, mean, Seth loves Sly. And Family Affair is a classic. But he wasn't at 70's rock in his rotation right now. He was in the Keytar period of the 80's.

He slowly opened his eyes....he was surrounded by dozens and dozens of mattresses. Among other things. There was a man with a leisure suit and a port-stache starring at him. He had a nametag on. It said "Butch".

"Do you like the bed sir? We don't normally let people lay on them, until after their parents buy them."

Sorry! Seth said, perhaps a little too loudly. And he awkwardly tried to get off the bed. Only it was much softer than he was used to, and he kept rolling back towards the center over and over again. It took him 7 tries to get off of the bed completely. And he could feel the blood draining from his face.

It gave him a chance to look around. and see that he was being starred out by dozen's of pairs of eyes. In some of the ugliet pieces of fashion he had ever committed to visual memory. "I gotta go." He stammered.

He left through the front door. The sign above it said "Becky's Mattress House."

And that's when he saw how different the skyline looked. "Holy F*"

A mother walking with her child bent to cover her little girls ears. Her look could have frosted glass.

And that's when he saw how different the skyline looked. "Holy F*"

She was riding in the back seat of Dad's Ford Taurus, drifting somewhere between wakefulness and dreaming; squeezed between her older siblings Ben and Edna (who wanted everyone to call her 'Eddi'), she could tell it was still early from the light that crept through her eyelids.

"How long 'til we reach Grampa's house," Eddi asked in her most peevish tone, the one that really set your teeth on edge.

"Not too much longer, maybe another hour and a half, hon," her mother answered.

"I hate visiting Grampa's house; everything is old and smells funny."

Ben, who was completely focused on his Game Boy up until this point, at last spoke up.

"Mom, can you tell Edna to please shut up? I'm trying to play my game."

"Don't call me Edna, I hate that stupid name!"

"Sweetie, it was your Grandma's name."

"I don't care! I hate it and I hate Grandma!"

- - - - -

"Grandma's dead."

Lynn woke up with those words on her lips, still angry at her sister for saying such things; she stretched and rubbed her eyes, and was surprised to feel something stuck to her face, cold and slick.

"What is this thing?"

She tried to sit up in the car seat as she picked at her domino mask, and was suddenly aware that she was not in the back of the Taurus on her way to visit 'Grampaloo', as she loved to call him, but was in fact already in Freedom City, in the arms of a significantly larger man. There was also an alarm going of somewhere nearby, and then a metallic skull hovered into view.

"Whoa!"

Startled, Grim looked around and got her bearings a bit, noticing she was on top of a roof and in the firm metallic arms of Nanowire, which felt like the safest place in the world to be; she scrunched up her face as she gave him a smile and ran fingers through her hair.

"Hey, you."

She looked up at the pale winter sun and frowned.

"How long have you been holding me? And did we just rob a bank?"

She was riding in the back seat of Dad's Ford Taurus, drifting somewhere between wakefulness and dreaming; squeezed between her older siblings Ben and Edna (who wanted everyone to call her 'Eddi'), she could tell it was still early from the light that crept through her eyelids.

"How long 'til we reach Grampa's house," Eddi asked in her most peevish tone, the one that really set your teeth on edge.

Ben, who was completely focused on his Game Boy up until this point, at last spoke up.

- - - - -

"Grandma's dead."

Lynn woke up with those words on her lips, still angry at her sister for saying such things; she stretched and rubbed her eyes, and was surprised to feel something stuck to her face, cold and slick.

"What is this thing?"

She tried to sit up in the car seat as she picked at her domino mask, and was suddenly aware that she was not in the back of the Taurus on her way to visit 'Grampaloo', as she loved to call him, but was in fact already in Freedom City, in the arms of a significantly larger man. There was also an alarm going of somewhere nearby, and then a metallic skull hovered into view.

"Whoa!"

Startled, Grim looked around and got her bearings a bit, noticing she was on top of a roof and in the firm metallic arms of Nanowire, which felt like the safest place in the world to be; she scrunched up her face as she gave him a smile and ran fingers through her hair.

"Hey, you."

- - - - -

"Grandma's dead."

"What is this thing?"

"Whoa!"

"Hey, you."

Nanowire smiled, at least on the inside, as Grim came out of whatever dream she was having. "Hey back." And then he realized how the situation looked. With him glomping her and all, he wasn't exactly sure how she'd take it. Fortunately, she seemed to be cool with it so far. As such, he wasn't exactly inclined to put her down anytime soon. She looked comfortable... kinda.

Fortunately, he could roll his eyes in response to her second question. "Just a little while. And no, we didn't. I have no idea what's going on, but the jewelry store across the street's alarm is going off." Nanowire finally gave into the needs of the situation (though he wasn't happy about it) and set Grim next to him on the rooftop. "That, and check out the people here. Everything's... old. Like really old, but new. How is that possible? I don't know anyplace on Earth that looks like this. Plus, this seems like the U.S."

Nanowire smiled, at least on the inside, as Grim came out of whatever dream she was having. "Hey back." And then he realized how the situation looked. With him glomping her and all, he wasn't exactly sure how she'd take it. Fortunately, she seemed to be cool with it so far. As such, he wasn't exactly inclined to put her down anytime soon. She looked comfortable... kinda.

Fortunately, he could roll his eyes in response to her second question. "Just a little while. And no, we didn't. I have no idea what's going on, but the jewelry store across the street's alarm is going off." Nanowire finally gave into the needs of the situation (though he wasn't happy about it) and set Grim next to him on the rooftop. "That, and check out the people here. Everything's... old. Like really old, but new. How is that possible? I don't know anyplace on Earth that looks like this. Plus, this seems like the U.S."

Grim peers over the edge with him, noticing the odd long coats and hideous knit hats, and the big metal cars that everyone is driving.

"Huh; that is weird."

She looks back over her shoulder at Nano.

"How well do you know Icarus' powers? Like, is he a mad scientist type who keeps inventing stuff, or does he have trouble controlling his powers or something? Because this is seriously weird, am I right?"

She turns to look down at the street, and notes the source of the alarm.

"Haas Jewelers; I can't really make out- ohmigod, I want those boots!"

Grim suddenly points at a young woman walking down the street, with long straight dark hair that goes down almost to her waist; she is wearing a short dark wool skirt, purple tights and pair of white vinyl lace-up boots that reach to her knees.

"Wouldn't I look so awesome in those, with the black heels? That's it, I'm making myself a pair."

She looks eagerly down at her legs, and a gray mist swirls around her lower extremities, leaving her sporting a near identical pair with the matching skirt and tights; from the waist up, her costume is still the same, and the contrast is rather jarring.

"God, I love these! Okay, okay, gotta focus, back to the business at hand."

She returns to her surveillance of the possible crime scene.

"No cops yet...maybe I should head on down, whadya think?"

Grim looks back at Nano, and gives him an appraising up and down look.

"Do you always look like that, or do you have other options? Like a car or helicopter and stuff?"

Grim peers over the edge with him, noticing the odd long coats and hideous knit hats, and the big metal cars that everyone is driving.

"Huh; that is weird."

"How well do you know Icarus' powers? Like, is he a mad scientist type who keeps inventing stuff, or does he have trouble controlling his powers or something? Because this is seriously weird, am I right?"

Grim suddenly points at a young woman walking down the street, with long straight dark hair that goes down almost to her waist; she is wearing a short dark wool skirt, purple tights and pair of white vinyl lace-up boots that reach to her knees.

"Wouldn't I look so awesome in those, with the black heels? That's it, I'm making myself a pair."

She looks eagerly down at her legs, and a gray mist swirls around her lower extremities, leaving her sporting a near identical pair with the matching skirt and tights; from the waist up, her costume is still the same, and the contrast is rather jarring.

"Do you always look like that, or do you have other options? Like a car or helicopter and stuff?"

"Huh; that is weird."

Icarus's fourth realization probably should have come before the first three. He's standing in the middle of Pennsylvania Street, and a car runs straight into him. Surprisingly, he bounces back a few steps. He's still uninjured, thanks to his armor.

"Usually, cars nowadays just crumple," he thinks as he looks back for the final shock. The car that ran into him is a pristine 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. At least, it was pristine. Now, it's sporting a man-sized dent across the hood, and the person inside is slumped over the steering wheel. He wasn't wearing a seatbelt, and there was no airbag.

Icarus quickly goes to the side of the car and opens the front door. He checks for a pulse. As he does so, he sees that the man's still breathing, so he stops. He pauses for a second, then looks around the area again.

"Son of a gun. I went back in time, didn't I," he says. Other cars have stopped due to the accident, and some of the drivers are getting out. Icarus looks to the first one.

"Can you go call 911? This man is hurt, and I don't think it's a good idea to move him," Icarus says. He takes a step back before he takes off, wobbily. The damage from the fall is still hampering his systems.

As he flies over the city, he can see that the landscape is from the '70s. The Boardwalk still has that sleazy air to it. When he's gone a few blocks from where he was, he lands near a newspaper bin and checks the date. When he sees it, his blood runs cold.

"January 20, 1972. The day my father died," he says. He tries to take off again, but the suit emits an audible 'pop', and Sean can tell that it's offline. He can only fly with his natural ability, which is slower than driving a car. Of course, it's also more direct, so he takes off and starts flying at about 20 miles an hour towards Haas Jewelers.