Disco Fever [1972]

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sean reaches over towards Ren. Before Ren can react, Sean's giving him a man-hug: more than enough space separating the bodies, a quick pat on the back of the shoulder, and the release.

"I heard from a guy I trust that he would've died without you there. Anybody who saves my old man's life can't be all bad," Sean says. "Mom's right. I've let myself wallow in self-pity since I got back from 'Nam. You don't even look Vietnamese. Let's start over. I'm Sean Parker. You're Roboman."

He gives a half-smile. "I think we could be friends if we tried."

Sean reaches over towards Ren. Before Ren can react, Sean's giving him a man-hug: more than enough space separating the bodies, a quick pat on the back of the shoulder, and the release.

"I heard from a guy I trust that he would've died without you there. Anybody who saves my old man's life can't be all bad," Sean says. "Mom's right. I've let myself wallow in self-pity since I got back from 'Nam. You don't even look Vietnamese. Let's start over. I'm Sean Parker. You're Roboman."

Left to her own devices with Mr. Parker, Lynn continues to work on her beer and munch on cheese and crackers; the combined effect of the alcohol, the food and Ren's recent displays of affection is heady indeed, and the young super feels all warm inside. She looks at her host and offers him a sleepy smile.

"Believe it or not, this is by far the best day I've had in a long time; wouldn't have thought so when I got up this morning, but, there you go."

She gazes towards the door and cocks her head slightly as she listens in on Sean and Ren's brief exchange, and finally sighs.

That's a relief.

Lying back on the couch and looking up at the ceiling, Lynn speaks as much to herself as to Sean's father.

"This is the best time; y'know, when you first feel it in your stomach?" She closes her eyes and holds her beer propped up on her belly. "I wish it could be this way forever."

Her eyes slowly open, and there's a touch of worry to her voice. "I hope it does."

Left to her own devices with Mr. Parker, Lynn continues to work on her beer and munch on cheese and crackers; the combined effect of the alcohol, the food and Ren's recent displays of affection is heady indeed, and the young super feels all warm inside. She looks at her host and offers him a sleepy smile.

"Believe it or not, this is by far the best day I've had in a long time; wouldn't have thought so when I got up this morning, but, there you go."

She gazes towards the door and cocks her head slightly as she listens in on Sean and Ren's brief exchange, and finally sighs.

That's a relief.

Lying back on the couch and looking up at the ceiling, Lynn speaks as much to herself as to Sean's father.

"This is the best time; y'know, when you first feel it in your stomach?" She closes her eyes and holds her beer propped up on her belly. "I wish it could be this way forever."

Her eyes slowly open, and there's a touch of worry to her voice. "I hope it does."

That's a relief.

Ren's eyes bugged out as he was suddenly embraced by a guy that, as far as he knew, had hated him up until a few moments ago. Japanese culture, being far more understated in their displays of affection, left him in a rather awkward position, despite it only lasting for a couple moments.

"Ah... thank you?" he said after Sean gave his approval... of his existence, he supposed. "I guess we could be," he answered with a hesitant smile of his own. "Your father is a good man, and I would like to remain in his good graces while I'm here." Although I do want to get out of here as soon as possible.

Then Renichi's thoughts ground to a halt as he remembered what Sean had said. I heard from a guy I trust that he would've died without you there. How had he heard that so soon? There was almost no one at the robbery. Just the Furies - who were left out of the "guy" equation - Centurion - who while trustworthy, Ren somehow doubted Sean was on a first name basis with - and Icarus.

Ren began to get a sinking sensation in his gut. "Who did you say this guy you trusted was?"

Ren's eyes bugged out as he was suddenly embraced by a guy that, as far as he knew, had hated him up until a few moments ago. Japanese culture, being far more understated in their displays of affection, left him in a rather awkward position, despite it only lasting for a couple moments.

"Ah... thank you?" he said after Sean gave his approval... of his existence, he supposed. "I guess we could be," he answered with a hesitant smile of his own. "Your father is a good man, and I would like to remain in his good graces while I'm here." Although I do want to get out of here as soon as possible.

Then Renichi's thoughts ground to a halt as he remembered what Sean had said. I heard from a guy I trust that he would've died without you there. How had he heard that so soon? There was almost no one at the robbery. Just the Furies - who were left out of the "guy" equation - Centurion - who while trustworthy, Ren somehow doubted Sean was on a first name basis with - and Icarus.

Ren began to get a sinking sensation in his gut. "Who did you say this guy you trusted was?"

Inside, Mr. Parker says, "Nothing lasts forever, Lynn, but what's important is taking advantage of the time we have." The dinner rings from the kitchen, and Mr. Parker looks towards it. "Mary must have finished up. She usually makes extra anyway; for once, I don't have to hear Sean complain about week-old leftovers."

Outside...

"I didn't," Sean says. "But I don't think he'd lie to me about something important like that. You can believe me." He gives Ren a grin.

"So, you hot and heavy with that chick in there? She looked like she was afraid I was going to knock your block off. I don't know what Dad told you about me, but I do got a little self-control."

Ren is saved from trying to figure out how to respond to that by the fortunate timing of a dinner bell being rung inside. Sean looks at the door.

"Looks like dinner's ready. Ma's a good cook, so eat hearty," he says as he opens the door. Mr. Parker is getting up from his seat, and holds out a hand to help Lynn up.

Inside, Mr. Parker says, "Nothing lasts forever, Lynn, but what's important is taking advantage of the time we have." The dinner rings from the kitchen, and Mr. Parker looks towards it. "Mary must have finished up. She usually makes extra anyway; for once, I don't have to hear Sean complain about week-old leftovers."

Outside...

"I didn't," Sean says. "But I don't think he'd lie to me about something important like that. You can believe me." He gives Ren a grin.

"So, you hot and heavy with that chick in there? She looked like she was afraid I was going to knock your block off. I don't know what Dad told you about me, but I do got a little self-control."

Ren is saved from trying to figure out how to respond to that by the fortunate timing of a dinner bell being rung inside. Sean looks at the door.

"Looks like dinner's ready. Ma's a good cook, so eat hearty," he says as he opens the door. Mr. Parker is getting up from his seat, and holds out a hand to help Lynn up.

Outside...

Trust him, Sean said. I trust you about as far as I can throw you, Ren thought. Of course, fully armored up, that was quite a ways, but that was besides the point. He'd been contacted by Icarus, Ren was sure of it. That meant he might be the only way to get out of here.

Then he commented on his relationship with Lynn and all thoughts about anything else flew out the window. God, had it really been just a couple hours since they'd met? How did they actually fit in with each other? All that had happened had gone by so fast, he had no time to think about it.

Fortunately, he was saved from doing that by Sean's suggestion of going back inside for dinner. Maybe while he was simulating the necessity of eating, Ren could give it some thought.

Trust him, Sean said. I trust you about as far as I can throw you, Ren thought. Of course, fully armored up, that was quite a ways, but that was besides the point. He'd been contacted by Icarus, Ren was sure of it. That meant he might be the only way to get out of here.

Then he commented on his relationship with Lynn and all thoughts about anything else flew out the window. God, had it really been just a couple hours since they'd met? How did they actually fit in with each other? All that had happened had gone by so fast, he had no time to think about it.

Fortunately, he was saved from doing that by Sean's suggestion of going back inside for dinner. Maybe while he was simulating the necessity of eating, Ren could give it some thought.

Lynn gratefully accepts the hand up, and offers Ren an encouraging smile when he comes in, but then she frowns slightly when she remembers something: when was the last time she had dinner at a Gentile's house?

Dear God, let this meal be at least remotely kosher so that I won't offend my wonderful hosts, who have been nothing but nice and gave me beer.

Lynn gratefully accepts the hand up, and offers Ren an encouraging smile when he comes in, but then she frowns slightly when she remembers something: when was the last time she had dinner at a Gentile's house?

Dear God, let this meal be at least remotely kosher so that I won't offend my wonderful hosts, who have been nothing but nice and gave me beer.

The meal certainly isn't kosher. There's no sign that the Parkers are an observant Jewish household, and therefore, they're exceedingly unlikely to have followed all of the dietary laws that would need to be followed. If Lynn wants to convince herself that it isn't too bad, though, she's got a fairly easy time. The meal looks to be some sort of beef cut, and sides of mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli.

The Parkers each take seats around the table, while two open seats are next to one another. When everyone is seated, the Parkers bow their heads and close their eyes, crossing themselves.

"In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, Amen. Bless us oh Lord, and these thy gifts, which we are about to receive, from thy bounty, through Christ our Lord, Amen."

They don't ask Ren or Lynn to join in, but it's clear that that's something that they do every night.

On the other side of town, Icarus waits as the auto shop finally closes up for the day. He had considered going in and forcing the other mechanics out early. They weren't the sort who'd call the police. He had always thought they were probably a front for some mob racket, and watching the people go in and out during the day, he managed to see a couple of guys he knew would be arrested under Moore, looking suspicious as they dropped off a car.

"That didn't always mean they were guilty back then," he thinks to himself, "but I think they were just rivals of the guys that Moore was helping out."

But even with that, he didn't want to make a scene. There were still plenty of smart people around back in 1972, and if any of them linked up Icarus and Sean Parker, they could cause a lot of trouble for him in the past (and if he got enough trouble in the past, there wouldn't be a future).

"I didn't find out about my abilities until what, 1974?" he thinks. "Till then, I was pretty much a punk. Heck, without the suit, I'm still pretty fragile even now. Wouldn't want to take a shot to the chest without it."

Now that it's clear, though, he has access to all of the tools he'll need to fix his armor. He floats down, grabs the spare key from where they always kept it, and heads inside. He strips off his armor, leaving him in his underwear, and after a second, a welding mask. He smiles as he grows denser, the gray energy surrounding him. It's nice to feel the heat again, after so many years spent in the suit.

The meal certainly isn't kosher. There's no sign that the Parkers are an observant Jewish household, and therefore, they're exceedingly unlikely to have followed all of the dietary laws that would need to be followed. If Lynn wants to convince herself that it isn't too bad, though, she's got a fairly easy time. The meal looks to be some sort of beef cut, and sides of mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli.

The Parkers each take seats around the table, while two open seats are next to one another. When everyone is seated, the Parkers bow their heads and close their eyes, crossing themselves.

"In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, Amen. Bless us oh Lord, and these thy gifts, which we are about to receive, from thy bounty, through Christ our Lord, Amen."

They don't ask Ren or Lynn to join in, but it's clear that that's something that they do every night.

On the other side of town, Icarus waits as the auto shop finally closes up for the day. He had considered going in and forcing the other mechanics out early. They weren't the sort who'd call the police. He had always thought they were probably a front for some mob racket, and watching the people go in and out during the day, he managed to see a couple of guys he knew would be arrested under Moore, looking suspicious as they dropped off a car.

"That didn't always mean they were guilty back then," he thinks to himself, "but I think they were just rivals of the guys that Moore was helping out."

But even with that, he didn't want to make a scene. There were still plenty of smart people around back in 1972, and if any of them linked up Icarus and Sean Parker, they could cause a lot of trouble for him in the past (and if he got enough trouble in the past, there wouldn't be a future).

"I didn't find out about my abilities until what, 1974?" he thinks. "Till then, I was pretty much a punk. Heck, without the suit, I'm still pretty fragile even now. Wouldn't want to take a shot to the chest without it."

Now that it's clear, though, he has access to all of the tools he'll need to fix his armor. He floats down, grabs the spare key from where they always kept it, and heads inside. He strips off his armor, leaving him in his underwear, and after a second, a welding mask. He smiles as he grows denser, the gray energy surrounding him. It's nice to feel the heat again, after so many years spent in the suit.

Renichi's mouth would have watered if he still had the capability to do so. Meat, other than fish, was fairly rare in Japan, and certainly in the quantities the Parkers had laid out on the table. The prices for Kobe beef alone were just this side of obscene, that much he knew, making it a special occasion only type of thing for most families. He'd only had it a couple times in his life, the most recent being his acceptance into Tokyo University. My last full meal as a human, he realized. The next day he had turned into Nanowire.

The potatoes were different then he was used to as well.

When the family Parker started their dinner prayer, Renichi was more or less unsurprised. Even though he had only a passing familiarity with Christianity, he was aware of their various ceremonies. Unfortunately, there were so many denominations of Christianity he had no idea which one they were following.

His own family was Shinto, although by Western standards, they had lapsed long ago. All the Sonadas really had was a small shrine in the living room that they lit incense at every so often. Seeing the Parkers together as a family made him think of his own and everything he'd left behind. As he watched them carefully to make sure that he wouldn't make a faux pas by reaching for something before they did.

"Itadakimasu," he said, mostly to himself, but audible to everyone who cared to listen.

Renichi's mouth would have watered if he still had the capability to do so. Meat, other than fish, was fairly rare in Japan, and certainly in the quantities the Parkers had laid out on the table. The prices for Kobe beef alone were just this side of obscene, that much he knew, making it a special occasion only type of thing for most families. He'd only had it a couple times in his life, the most recent being his acceptance into Tokyo University. My last full meal as a human, he realized. The next day he had turned into Nanowire.

When the family Parker started their dinner prayer, Renichi was more or less unsurprised. Even though he had only a passing familiarity with Christianity, he was aware of their various ceremonies. Unfortunately, there were so many denominations of Christianity he had no idea which one they were following.

His own family was Shinto, although by Western standards, they had lapsed long ago. All the Sonadas really had was a small shrine in the living room that they lit incense at every so often. Seeing the Parkers together as a family made him think of his own and everything he'd left behind. As he watched them carefully to make sure that he wouldn't make a faux pas by reaching for something before they did.

"Itadakimasu," he said, mostly to himself, but audible to everyone who cared to listen.