Disco Fever [1972]

Mr. Parker heads into the kitchen, and comes back with two unopened beers in one hand and a third in the other. Sean follows behind him, pulling over a chair from the dining room. He also has a beer, but his is open and he's taking a drink from it as he sits.

Mr. Parker says, "Here you go," as he hands a beer to Lynn and Ren. He opens his as he takes a seat and takes a drink from it. Sean ends up speaking first.

"So, where are you two from? Dad's got all the heroes in the city on a wall in the basement, and I know you're not on it," Sean says. He addresses the question to the space in between Ren and Lynn's heads, looking more towards Lynn. He is less on edge than he was before he went into the kitchen, but he still looks like he's upset about something.

Mr. Parker glances over to his son as he speaks, his lips pursing. He doesn't say anything or try to deny that he does have such a wall, which, from what Ren and Lynn already know of him, probably means that he does.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Parker heads into the kitchen, and comes back with two unopened beers in one hand and a third in the other. Sean follows behind him, pulling over a chair from the dining room. He also has a beer, but his is open and he's taking a drink from it as he sits.

Mr. Parker says, "Here you go," as he hands a beer to Lynn and Ren. He opens his as he takes a seat and takes a drink from it. Sean ends up speaking first.

"So, where are you two from? Dad's got all the heroes in the city on a wall in the basement, and I know you're not on it," Sean says. He addresses the question to the space in between Ren and Lynn's heads, looking more towards Lynn. He is less on edge than he was before he went into the kitchen, but he still looks like he's upset about something.

Mr. Parker glances over to his son as he speaks, his lips pursing. He doesn't say anything or try to deny that he does have such a wall, which, from what Ren and Lynn already know of him, probably means that he does.

Trying to fight the urge not to frown in the presence of Sean, Ren instead thought about how good it would be to get his hands on Icarus again. Every moment wasted here was just that - wasted. And although they might be able to simply translate back to the same point in time from which they left, the longer they stayed here, the more chance there was that something would be changed when they got back.

"Well, we're not from around here, you might say," he replied, swirling his beer about without actually taking a drink. "But we are enjoying ourselves while we're here, thank you, Mr. Parker," he nodded gratefully towards his host. "I'm originally from Japan, but I'm finding life in the US to be... shall we say, exciting? The sights are wonderful to behold, and all the people have been very nice."

With that last comment, Ren looked over at Lynn and gave her a wry smile.

Trying to fight the urge not to frown in the presence of Sean, Ren instead thought about how good it would be to get his hands on Icarus again. Every moment wasted here was just that - wasted. And although they might be able to simply translate back to the same point in time from which they left, the longer they stayed here, the more chance there was that something would be changed when they got back.

"Well, we're not from around here, you might say," he replied, swirling his beer about without actually taking a drink. "But we are enjoying ourselves while we're here, thank you, Mr. Parker," he nodded gratefully towards his host. "I'm originally from Japan, but I'm finding life in the US to be... shall we say, exciting? The sights are wonderful to behold, and all the people have been very nice."

The mention of the superhero wall makes Lynn smile, but one sip of her beer pretty much wipes that off her face; she does her best to hide her grimace while wiping her mouth with the back of her hand.

And why do people like this stuff again? I wish they had wine coolers in the past.

She returns his smile, then looks back over to Sean.

"Me next, I guess; I'm from Atlantic City originally, but, ah..."

Her eyes flicker nervously between Sean and his father; this is a bit awkward to say in front of a parent.

"Well, I left home a few years ago; things were pretty bad at home, with Dad out on disability, and Mom always drinking and blowing the grocery money on lottery tickets, so..."

The tiny heroine has never looked smaller as she intently picks at the fabric of her skirt.

"One less mouth to feed, y'know? Probably the best thing I ever did for them."

She takes a deep swig of her beer, sniffs and wipes the corners of her eyes.

"AC is a dump, anyway; nothing for me there now."

The mention of the superhero wall makes Lynn smile, but one sip of her beer pretty much wipes that off her face; she does her best to hide her grimace while wiping her mouth with the back of her hand.

And why do people like this stuff again? I wish they had wine coolers in the past.

Her eyes flicker nervously between Sean and his father; this is a bit awkward to say in front of a parent.

"Well, I left home a few years ago; things were pretty bad at home, with Dad out on disability, and Mom always drinking and blowing the grocery money on lottery tickets, so..."

The tiny heroine has never looked smaller as she intently picks at the fabric of her skirt.

Renichi sat and listened intently to Lynn's story. It was really the first time besides her name he'd learned about her, and as she went on, and he realized how hard her life had been, he sympathized a lot. Many of the homeless people he'd been sharing a hovel with had similar life stories. It never got any easier to hear about them, though.

In an attempt to comfort her, Ren threw an arm around her shoulders and pulled her in a little closer, whispering, "I'm sorry," in her ear. He then kissed on the top of her head and held her so she'd know she wasn't alone anymore. Being alone sucked, that much Ren knew.

Renichi sat and listened intently to Lynn's story. It was really the first time besides her name he'd learned about her, and as she went on, and he realized how hard her life had been, he sympathized a lot. Many of the homeless people he'd been sharing a hovel with had similar life stories. It never got any easier to hear about them, though.

In an attempt to comfort her, Ren threw an arm around her shoulders and pulled her in a little closer, whispering, "I'm sorry," in her ear. He then kissed on the top of her head and held her so she'd know she wasn't alone anymore. Being alone sucked, that much Ren knew.

Sean looks away somewhat at the uncomfortable situation, while his father frowns.

"There's people like that. They don't deserve the title of parent. It looks like you've turned out better than they have," he says, then seems to remember something. "But you said that you had family here, didn't you? Do you want to go see them after dinner?"

Sean finally comes to a decision. After Grimalkin has had a chance to answer, he looks straight at Ren.

"Can I talk to you in private, outside?" he asks. He doesn't look like he's going to start pounding on Ren, but more like he wants to talk to him about something that he doesn't want his father to hear.

Sean looks away somewhat at the uncomfortable situation, while his father frowns.

"There's people like that. They don't deserve the title of parent. It looks like you've turned out better than they have," he says, then seems to remember something. "But you said that you had family here, didn't you? Do you want to go see them after dinner?"

Sean finally comes to a decision. After Grimalkin has had a chance to answer, he looks straight at Ren.

"Can I talk to you in private, outside?" he asks. He doesn't look like he's going to start pounding on Ren, but more like he wants to talk to him about something that he doesn't want his father to hear.

Lynn is almost able to keep it together, until Ren holds and kisses her, and then she totally losses it; tears roll down her cheeks as she grabs him back fiercely, the hiccupping sobs first seen in the garage returning in full force.

At least I don't have to worry about my make-up running, since I just 'make' my own.

She laughs at some private joke, which seems to help, and leans up to give Ren a quick kiss on the cheek; feeling safe and happy in this stranger's arms (but is he still a stranger?), she realizes Mr. Parker is speaking again.

Lynn nods vigorously as she wipes away the tears. "Yeah, my Grandpa Louis; I always called him 'Grampaloo', like he was a Muppet or something." The memory makes her smile, and she tucks her head into the crook of Ren's arm.

When Sean at last speaks, Lynn sits up and turns to Ren; she glances between the two young men, and then nods to Ren as she untangles herself from his loving grasp.

Lynn is almost able to keep it together, until Ren holds and kisses her, and then she totally losses it; tears roll down her cheeks as she grabs him back fiercely, the hiccupping sobs first seen in the garage returning in full force.

At least I don't have to worry about my make-up running, since I just 'make' my own.

She laughs at some private joke, which seems to help, and leans up to give Ren a quick kiss on the cheek; feeling safe and happy in this stranger's arms (but is he still a stranger?), she realizes Mr. Parker is speaking again.

Lynn nods vigorously as she wipes away the tears. "Yeah, my Grandpa Louis; I always called him 'Grampaloo', like he was a Muppet or something." The memory makes her smile, and she tucks her head into the crook of Ren's arm.

When Sean at last speaks, Lynn sits up and turns to Ren; she glances between the two young men, and then nods to Ren as she untangles herself from his loving grasp.

"Yeah, sure," Ren says tentatively to Sean's request. He gave Lynn a reassuring nod, more for her earlier turmoil than to say that he'd be okay. Then he got up and followed Sean outdoors. It was cold out today - winter weather would do that - but he couldn't feel any of it. But for perhaps the first time, that wasn't because of his mechanical body.

"What was it you wanted to talk about?" Ren asked in a neutral tone. He still wasn't too sure of Sean's intentions. Prejudices died hard, and seeing someone that reminded him of the enemy holding "one of his own" like that might have prodded him into doing something stupid.

"Yeah, sure," Ren says tentatively to Sean's request. He gave Lynn a reassuring nod, more for her earlier turmoil than to say that he'd be okay. Then he got up and followed Sean outdoors. It was cold out today - winter weather would do that - but he couldn't feel any of it. But for perhaps the first time, that wasn't because of his mechanical body.

"What was it you wanted to talk about?" Ren asked in a neutral tone. He still wasn't too sure of Sean's intentions. Prejudices died hard, and seeing someone that reminded him of the enemy holding "one of his own" like that might have prodded him into doing something stupid.

Sean lets the door close behind him, then looks directly into Ren's eyes.

"Is it true? Did you save my dad's life today?" he says. He seems unaffected by the cold, despite only wearing a t-shirt (stained with oil) and some blue jeans. Granted, he had already finished his beer by the time that he came out, but Sean seems like the sort of man that isn't going to let small things like the weather affect what he intends to do. Ren can see how Heavy, or Icarus, or whatever he calls himself, could come from here.

"Is it true? Did you save my dad's life today?" he says. He seems unaffected by the cold, despite only wearing a t-shirt (stained with oil) and some blue jeans. Granted, he had already finished his beer by the time that he came out, but Sean seems like the sort of man that isn't going to let small things like the weather affect what he intends to do. Ren can see how Heavy, or Icarus, or whatever he calls himself, could come from here.