Disco Fever [1972]

Nanowire was honestly surprised with his actions in defense of a man he hardly knew. Yeah, he didn't like it if people got hurt, but for the most part, it wasn't his problem. Or maybe that was it; the situation would have been his problem if the man had gotten killed. And certainly Grimalkin's praise was more than satisfying.

And then Centurion showed up. Reality had taken a radical departure from the it's normal course.

"I sat on his head," Nanowire whispered to himself, gaping, in his own non-expressive way, at the greatest superhuman that ever lived.

Then his brain woke up again and started hammering away at this quandary. The old buildings, plus the old cars, plus the appearance of a man known to be dead, equaled one unlikely, but somehow inescapable, conclusion. They were in the past. Occam's Razor strikes again.

He shook off the shock of his discovery and said, "Roboman, sir. I'm... new in town." A lie, but far from the worst thing he'd ever done. Besides, he was fairly certain nobody back in... whatever bygone era this was would know about nanotechnology.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nanowire was honestly surprised with his actions in defense of a man he hardly knew. Yeah, he didn't like it if people got hurt, but for the most part, it wasn't his problem. Or maybe that was it; the situation would have been his problem if the man had gotten killed. And certainly Grimalkin's praise was more than satisfying.

And then Centurion showed up. Reality had taken a radical departure from the it's normal course.

"I sat on his head," Nanowire whispered to himself, gaping, in his own non-expressive way, at the greatest superhuman that ever lived.

Then his brain woke up again and started hammering away at this quandary. The old buildings, plus the old cars, plus the appearance of a man known to be dead, equaled one unlikely, but somehow inescapable, conclusion. They were in the past. Occam's Razor strikes again.

He shook off the shock of his discovery and said, "Roboman, sir. I'm... new in town." A lie, but far from the worst thing he'd ever done. Besides, he was fairly certain nobody back in... whatever bygone era this was would know about nanotechnology.

Luckily for "Roboman", Grimalkin was the only one close enough to hear his first comment. It certainly would have raised some questions that would have awkward answers.

"Keep up the good work Grimalkin, Roboman," Centurion says. He easily lifts up both of the criminals after breaking their energy guns into pieces, then lifts off and flies west, presumably towards a precinct house.

Gravitor sighs as he puts his helmet back into place. When he speaks, his voice is a little muffled.

"I hoped I'd... ah ha!" he says as he slowly walks towards part of the crime scene. The gun that he kicked away is still in one piece. He lifts it up, making sure to keep it pointed away from anyone.

"The Power Corps may be criminals, but their technology can be impressive. This might give me ideas for improvements on my own systems. I'll wait here until the Chorale shows up, then we can go talk somewhere where I don't have to wear this suit. I guess secret identities do have their advantages," he says.

"So tell me, how long have you been in Freedom City?"

Luckily for "Roboman", Grimalkin was the only one close enough to hear his first comment. It certainly would have raised some questions that would have awkward answers.

"Keep up the good work Grimalkin, Roboman," Centurion says. He easily lifts up both of the criminals after breaking their energy guns into pieces, then lifts off and flies west, presumably towards a precinct house.

Gravitor sighs as he puts his helmet back into place. When he speaks, his voice is a little muffled.

"I hoped I'd... ah ha!" he says as he slowly walks towards part of the crime scene. The gun that he kicked away is still in one piece. He lifts it up, making sure to keep it pointed away from anyone.

"The Power Corps may be criminals, but their technology can be impressive. This might give me ideas for improvements on my own systems. I'll wait here until the Chorale shows up, then we can go talk somewhere where I don't have to wear this suit. I guess secret identities do have their advantages," he says.

Icarus is heading west at the same time that Centurion takes off. Thankfully for him, they're headed in opposite directions. Despite the man being over a decade dead from his perspective, Icarus still ducks down below the skyline when he sees him. Old habits die hard. He never actually got caught by the Freedom League or even Force Ops (a record he's proud of), but he achieved that distinction by being ready to flee as soon as he saw them. They were usually more worried about the villains who went around killing people, and his reputation for keeping things clean meant that Force Ops didn't try as hard to apprehend him as they did the killers.

Finally, he spots Haas Jewelers on his radar. The building is in one piece, unlike the previous time. As he gets closer, he can see him, still standing there. Icarus lands on the roof, emotionally numb. He's not dead. He's not dead.

Icarus is heading west at the same time that Centurion takes off. Thankfully for him, they're headed in opposite directions. Despite the man being over a decade dead from his perspective, Icarus still ducks down below the skyline when he sees him. Old habits die hard. He never actually got caught by the Freedom League or even Force Ops (a record he's proud of), but he achieved that distinction by being ready to flee as soon as he saw them. They were usually more worried about the villains who went around killing people, and his reputation for keeping things clean meant that Force Ops didn't try as hard to apprehend him as they did the killers.

Finally, he spots Haas Jewelers on his radar. The building is in one piece, unlike the previous time. As he gets closer, he can see him, still standing there. Icarus lands on the roof, emotionally numb. He's not dead. He's not dead.

Another confirmation they were in the past. The Power Corps were at the cutting edge of technology back in the Freedom City Nanowire knew, and rayguns that would have looked more at home in the hands of an Astroboy villain were not a part of that arsenal.

"Just a few months. And I suppose you could say this is my debut as a superhero," he said with a tone of playful humor in his voice. Nanowire gave Grimalkin a knowing glance, then turned back to Gravitor. "Anyway, does Centurion often show up at jewelery store heists? It would seem that he might have better things to do."

Another confirmation they were in the past. The Power Corps were at the cutting edge of technology back in the Freedom City Nanowire knew, and rayguns that would have looked more at home in the hands of an Astroboy villain were not a part of that arsenal.

"Just a few months. And I suppose you could say this is my debut as a superhero," he said with a tone of playful humor in his voice. Nanowire gave Grimalkin a knowing glance, then turned back to Gravitor. "Anyway, does Centurion often show up at jewelery store heists? It would seem that he might have better things to do."

It was finally starting to sink in that somehow they'd gone back in time, and of course Grim had blown it; Nano was smart enough to have given a fake name, but no, the dutiful daughter of Harold and Elaine Epstein had to give out her 21st Century moniker to anyone who asked. She felt like such an idiot!

Catching her 'partner's' glance, she shook her head and smiled.

"Ah, I've been here a few years, but only been fighting crime for a few months, and I still screw up from time to time. Mess up, sorry!"

She edged a bit closer to her huge metallic associate, and put an arm around him, or at least as far as she could.

"Robotman and I have only recently teamed up, but we're excited by the possibilities, aren't we, Robo?"

It was finally starting to sink in that somehow they'd gone back in time, and of course Grim had blown it; Nano was smart enough to have given a fake name, but no, the dutiful daughter of Harold and Elaine Epstein had to give out her 21st Century moniker to anyone who asked. She felt like such an idiot!

"Ah, I've been here a few years, but only been fighting crime for a few months, and I still screw up from time to time. Mess up, sorry!"

She edged a bit closer to her huge metallic associate, and put an arm around him, or at least as far as she could.

"Robotman and I have only recently teamed up, but we're excited by the possibilities, aren't we, Robo?"

Nanowire almost froze up again when Grimalkin decided to get physically demonstrative again, but he quickly recovered and decided to get her back for some of the teasing she'd already sent his way.

"Oh, absolutely, Grimalkin" he said, throwing his expansive arm around the much smaller girl, nearly able to wrap it around her lithe body. Her name was emphasized as a not-too-subtle dig at her truthfulness when the situation dictated otherwise. Take that, Grim! he thought victoriously.

"Ecstatic, even. I see great promise in this partnership."

Nanowire almost froze up again when Grimalkin decided to get physically demonstrative again, but he quickly recovered and decided to get her back for some of the teasing she'd already sent his way.

"Oh, absolutely, Grimalkin" he said, throwing his expansive arm around the much smaller girl, nearly able to wrap it around her lithe body. Her name was emphasized as a not-too-subtle dig at her truthfulness when the situation dictated otherwise. Take that, Grim! he thought victoriously.

Oh, he's enjoying this way too much; I must have my revenge!

Grim vigorously rubs Nano's back as she flashes Gravitor a huge smile.

"It's been great! Robo's been teaching me some amazing new moves, like his patented 'Robot Chicken' maneuver? He sits on the bad guy's head until he surrenders! Brilliant! Of course when I try it, it doesn't quite have the same effect, but Robo insists we practice it a lot, for some reason."

"It's been great! Robo's been teaching me some amazing new moves, like his patented 'Robot Chicken' maneuver? He sits on the bad guy's head until he surrenders! Brilliant! Of course when I try it, it doesn't quite have the same effect, but Robo insists we practice it a lot, for some reason."

Three distinct tones can be heard from a distance. Gravitor looks up, perhaps looking for something to distract him from the lovefest unfolding in front of him. He hasn't yet thought through what Grimalkin just said - Monty Python's Contractual Obligation record is still 8 years away, and that record's lead song is responsible for breaking more than a few innocent minds.

From the sky descend three identical women. The Centurion had said something about the Chorale coming, but Grimalkin knows them by another name - The Furies Three. These villainesses seem to see themselves as anti-heroes, punishing the guilty for their sins. A young, less-than-experienced heroine wouldn't want to get caught in a back alley with one of them. Three of them would be overpowering - and they don't hold back to have a fair fight.

Gravitor doesn't seem to be preparing for battle, however. He just says, "Ah, they're here."

Three distinct tones can be heard from a distance. Gravitor looks up, perhaps looking for something to distract him from the lovefest unfolding in front of him. He hasn't yet thought through what Grimalkin just said - Monty Python's Contractual Obligation record is still 8 years away, and that record's lead song is responsible for breaking more than a few innocent minds.

From the sky descend three identical women. The Centurion had said something about the Chorale coming, but Grimalkin knows them by another name - The Furies Three. These villainesses seem to see themselves as anti-heroes, punishing the guilty for their sins. A young, less-than-experienced heroine wouldn't want to get caught in a back alley with one of them. Three of them would be overpowering - and they don't hold back to have a fair fight.

Gravitor doesn't seem to be preparing for battle, however. He just says, "Ah, they're here."

Icarus also sees the Chorale coming. In his confusion from having one of the defining moments of his life just having been undone, he doesn't remember that they have yet to become the Furies Three, and he can't tell that they aren't coming in for an attack.

He leaps out from the roof. He still can't fly very fast, but it's worth trying to knock them down to the ground. Shouting, "Stay away from them!" he gets as close as he can to the Chorale before pulling everything down. And it does turn out to be everything - he can't control who is targeted and who isn't, so he manages to pull himself to the ground as well. The fall isn't enough to hurt him, but it does knock him to the ground, along with everyone else in the area.

Icarus also sees the Chorale coming. In his confusion from having one of the defining moments of his life just having been undone, he doesn't remember that they have yet to become the Furies Three, and he can't tell that they aren't coming in for an attack.

He leaps out from the roof. He still can't fly very fast, but it's worth trying to knock them down to the ground. Shouting, "Stay away from them!" he gets as close as he can to the Chorale before pulling everything down. And it does turn out to be everything - he can't control who is targeted and who isn't, so he manages to pull himself to the ground as well. The fall isn't enough to hurt him, but it does knock him to the ground, along with everyone else in the area.