It's For A Good Cause

Heridfel

The third annual Prostate Cancer Awareness fundraiser dinner is kicking off at the Hanover Institute of Technology. Dr. Grant, of Grant Conglomerates, has made his way to the podium, and people gradually fall quiet as they see him standing there.

"Good evening. I want to welcome you all to this dinner. As you know, medical science has continued to advance in the realm of detecting prostate cancer. I'm proud to say that cutting-edge research is being done right here at the Hanover Institute of Technology. Just yesterday, HIT researchers announced a new method to test for an increased risk of prostate cancer. This could lead to many men who were unaware of their risk getting screened more regularly, and detecting tumors before they've had too long to grow.

Grant Conglomerates is also working on ways to better treat the tumors once they're discovered, but that's not why I'm here tonight," Grant says. He takes a breath to steady himself before he continues. "I know that many of you know that my father died from this disease five years ago. He hadn't ever been screened, and the tumor was inoperable. After he died, I promised myself that I would work to see that no one else feel that same loss. All the proceeds here tonight go to the Prostate Cancer Charity, and I have personally pledged to match your contributions, dollar for dollar."

This doesn't come as a surprise to previous attendees of the dinner, as Grant has done it the last two years. Still, such a generous offer is worth a round of applause. Grant waits for it to finish, then continues.

"Thank you. The dinner will be taking place in the Kane Ballroom in about a half-hour. Until then, please enjoy yourselves, and thank you again for attending."

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The third annual Prostate Cancer Awareness fundraiser dinner is kicking off at the Hanover Institute of Technology. Dr. Grant, of Grant Conglomerates, has made his way to the podium, and people gradually fall quiet as they see him standing there.

"Good evening. I want to welcome you all to this dinner. As you know, medical science has continued to advance in the realm of detecting prostate cancer. I'm proud to say that cutting-edge research is being done right here at the Hanover Institute of Technology. Just yesterday, HIT researchers announced a new method to test for an increased risk of prostate cancer. This could lead to many men who were unaware of their risk getting screened more regularly, and detecting tumors before they've had too long to grow.

Grant Conglomerates is also working on ways to better treat the tumors once they're discovered, but that's not why I'm here tonight," Grant says. He takes a breath to steady himself before he continues. "I know that many of you know that my father died from this disease five years ago. He hadn't ever been screened, and the tumor was inoperable. After he died, I promised myself that I would work to see that no one else feel that same loss. All the proceeds here tonight go to the Prostate Cancer Charity, and I have personally pledged to match your contributions, dollar for dollar."

This doesn't come as a surprise to previous attendees of the dinner, as Grant has done it the last two years. Still, such a generous offer is worth a round of applause. Grant waits for it to finish, then continues.

"Thank you. The dinner will be taking place in the Kane Ballroom in about a half-hour. Until then, please enjoy yourselves, and thank you again for attending."

Emissary stands, or rather, imperceptibly floats among the guests, dressed in a suit this time, simply for the variety, and waits for a moment when Doctor Grant is not entirely busy, but regardless still situated with a number of people around him, as the moment he'll approach.

Emissary stands, or rather, imperceptibly floats among the guests, dressed in a suit this time, simply for the variety, and waits for a moment when Doctor Grant is not entirely busy, but regardless still situated with a number of people around him, as the moment he'll approach.

Megan Howell was present in the crowd listening to Jonathan Grant’s speech at the beginning of the fundraiser, standing near her parents. The attractive blonde teen was wearing a Versace liquid jersey cocktail dress with white Dior heeled sandals. When Grant finished his speech, she began clapping along with the rest of the crowd.

Megan somewhat knew Sarah Grant, Jonathan Grant’s oldest daughter. Sarah was a few years older than Megan, though they had been at the same schools briefly at times. The blonde teen wondered if Sarah had come back to Freedom City for this or if she was at school. Noticing her parents were startign to mingle, Megan started along after, smiling as she went.

Megan Howell was present in the crowd listening to Jonathan Grant’s speech at the beginning of the fundraiser, standing near her parents. The attractive blonde teen was wearing a Versace liquid jersey cocktail dress with white Dior heeled sandals. When Grant finished his speech, she began clapping along with the rest of the crowd.

Megan somewhat knew Sarah Grant, Jonathan Grant’s oldest daughter. Sarah was a few years older than Megan, though they had been at the same schools briefly at times. The blonde teen wondered if Sarah had come back to Freedom City for this or if she was at school. Noticing her parents were startign to mingle, Megan started along after, smiling as she went.

Of course, to begin, Grant is mobbed by people who either want to congratulate him, ingratiate themselves with him, or interview him. It's difficult to count how many fall into each category; some certainly seem like they could go either way. For his part, Grant remains sedate. His usual rock-star scientist persona is subdued with the gravity of the occasion, though he has to bite back a few angry replies when people press too hard. His two bodyguards help keep people from physically swamping him, though none of them have to resort to anything more than than standing in front of people and giving them stares. Finally, the crowd starts to die down a little. The Emissary has caught Grant looking towards him a couple of times, but has mostly focused on the people speaking to him, not the people looking at him.

Megan has to look around the room a couple of times before she sees Sarah, sitting with the rest of her family. Of course, because it's Megan, she can do that so quickly that it seems as though she spotted her instantly. Sarah's dress is no less elaborate than Megan's, though certainly less flashy. It seems like Dr. Grant wanted to be sure that he was the center of attention tonight, not his 19-year-old daughter. Sarah definitely seems upset about something, though

Of course, to begin, Grant is mobbed by people who either want to congratulate him, ingratiate themselves with him, or interview him. It's difficult to count how many fall into each category; some certainly seem like they could go either way. For his part, Grant remains sedate. His usual rock-star scientist persona is subdued with the gravity of the occasion, though he has to bite back a few angry replies when people press too hard. His two bodyguards help keep people from physically swamping him, though none of them have to resort to anything more than than standing in front of people and giving them stares. Finally, the crowd starts to die down a little. The Emissary has caught Grant looking towards him a couple of times, but has mostly focused on the people speaking to him, not the people looking at him.

Megan has to look around the room a couple of times before she sees Sarah, sitting with the rest of her family. Of course, because it's Megan, she can do that so quickly that it seems as though she spotted her instantly. Sarah's dress is no less elaborate than Megan's, though certainly less flashy. It seems like Dr. Grant wanted to be sure that he was the center of attention tonight, not his 19-year-old daughter. Sarah definitely seems upset about something, though

image124.jpg

Dorian only half-listened to Grant’s little song and dance. His thoughts were elsewhere. He had attended this dinner for no better purpose than to make himself seen and heard among Freedom City’s elite. Once Grant was done grandstanding, he would move in and scope out the scene. “Mmm he is quite a talented speaker,†said a feminine voice beside him. Dorian Glanced over at Giselle, his companion for tonight.

“I didn’t know you were so easily impressed,†Dorian replied. She blew him a mock kiss and took another sip of champagne. Dorian had met her in St. Tropez, she was one of Versace’s runway items. She had been quite bold when she had come up to him, a trait Dorian loved. She was a typical gold-digger at heart, which didn’t matter that much to him; he had plenty of money. Grant had finished his speech and Dorian joined in on the clapping. When it died down Dorian stood up and gave his elbow to Giselle. When she stood up Dorian’s eyes took in her figure, she preened under the attention striking a cocky pose, suddenly he remembered what it was that he liked about her. She slipped her hand into his elbow.

“Now remember to behave.†Dorian admonished.

“I was going to tell you the same thing.â€Â

image124.jpg

Dorian only half-listened to Grant’s little song and dance. His thoughts were elsewhere. He had attended this dinner for no better purpose than to make himself seen and heard among Freedom City’s elite. Once Grant was done grandstanding, he would move in and scope out the scene. “Mmm he is quite a talented speaker,†said a feminine voice beside him. Dorian Glanced over at Giselle, his companion for tonight.

“I didn’t know you were so easily impressed,†Dorian replied. She blew him a mock kiss and took another sip of champagne. Dorian had met her in St. Tropez, she was one of Versace’s runway items. She had been quite bold when she had come up to him, a trait Dorian loved. She was a typical gold-digger at heart, which didn’t matter that much to him; he had plenty of money. Grant had finished his speech and Dorian joined in on the clapping. When it died down Dorian stood up and gave his elbow to Giselle. When she stood up Dorian’s eyes took in her figure, she preened under the attention striking a cocky pose, suddenly he remembered what it was that he liked about her. She slipped her hand into his elbow.

image124.jpg

banded20collar20tuxedo.jpg

Liam stood there...bored. He attended many of these functions as a kid being drug along by his parents. Was it so bad that he didn't care for so called philanthropists patting themselves on the back in front of everybody?

He went stag tonight, not feeling in the mood for entertaining a date. Glancing around the room he saw the normal busybodys that show up to these shindigs and mixed in were a few new faces he didnt recognize...He thought about it and after a moment he decided he just MAY hobnob a bit, put some names to faces.

Liam stood there...bored. He attended many of these functions as a kid being drug along by his parents. Was it so bad that he didn't care for so called philanthropists patting themselves on the back in front of everybody?

He went stag tonight, not feeling in the mood for entertaining a date. Glancing around the room he saw the normal busybodys that show up to these shindigs and mixed in were a few new faces he didnt recognize...He thought about it and after a moment he decided he just MAY hobnob a bit, put some names to faces.

A new face in a mostly unremarkable tuxedo watches the room as he half-listens to the speech. Victus Orcus, or better known by his last name, Kain, walked around the ball room surveying the patrons who all wore looks that ran the gammit from deeply engaged to sneering disapproval. Kain wasn't sure which, if any, of the patrons would be his next target, or maybe his next employer, to Kain it hardly mattered. What mattered was taking stock of the movers and shakers in Freedom City, spotting weaknesses, strengths, in not only the society, but in the people of the city.

Kain didn't have to remind himself that he was there for a reason, he was there looking for prospective employers, after all, one can not be a mercenary if no one knows you to hire you. So, as it was, Kain carried on, gliding about the room, looking from face to face, eavesdropping on mostly inane conversation and taking stock of not only who had money, but who looked willing to spend it on the acquisition of power through force of arms.

Kain notices a man who looks rather well to do, what with a runway model in tow, glide about the room. A single eyebrow almost imperceptably raises in intrigue, it was apparent that the man had power, and money, both of which might spell opportunity for employment. Kain was never one to put all his fish in one barrel, however, and kept nosing about the room, looking for more possible angles and business opportunities. He knew it was going to be a long night...

A sidelong glance brought Kain's eyes to a man who looked particularly bored, and particularly wealthy, there was almost a hint of disdain for these proceedings in the man's eyes. He also noted the man had no date with him, which might make him a bit of a hermit or misanthrope, but still something said that the man might have need of his talents. He decided to take a chance and walked to the man in an almost direct fashion.

"Good evening, sir," Kain said, mater-of-factly "My name is Gideon Kain, I noticed your less than enthusiastic appraisal of these functions. See, I'm new to the town and was wondering if you might have insight into matters regarding a person's need of gainful employment. See, I'm in the defense and acquisitions business, if you get my meaning, and was just looking to maybe set up a few business contacts. Are you, or do you know of, anyone looking for a person with talent and drive?"

A new face in a mostly unremarkable tuxedo watches the room as he half-listens to the speech. Victus Orcus, or better known by his last name, Kain, walked around the ball room surveying the patrons who all wore looks that ran the gammit from deeply engaged to sneering disapproval. Kain wasn't sure which, if any, of the patrons would be his next target, or maybe his next employer, to Kain it hardly mattered. What mattered was taking stock of the movers and shakers in Freedom City, spotting weaknesses, strengths, in not only the society, but in the people of the city.

Kain didn't have to remind himself that he was there for a reason, he was there looking for prospective employers, after all, one can not be a mercenary if no one knows you to hire you. So, as it was, Kain carried on, gliding about the room, looking from face to face, eavesdropping on mostly inane conversation and taking stock of not only who had money, but who looked willing to spend it on the acquisition of power through force of arms.

Kain notices a man who looks rather well to do, what with a runway model in tow, glide about the room. A single eyebrow almost imperceptably raises in intrigue, it was apparent that the man had power, and money, both of which might spell opportunity for employment. Kain was never one to put all his fish in one barrel, however, and kept nosing about the room, looking for more possible angles and business opportunities. He knew it was going to be a long night...

A sidelong glance brought Kain's eyes to a man who looked particularly bored, and particularly wealthy, there was almost a hint of disdain for these proceedings in the man's eyes. He also noted the man had no date with him, which might make him a bit of a hermit or misanthrope, but still something said that the man might have need of his talents. He decided to take a chance and walked to the man in an almost direct fashion.

"Good evening, sir," Kain said, mater-of-factly "My name is Gideon Kain, I noticed your less than enthusiastic appraisal of these functions. See, I'm new to the town and was wondering if you might have insight into matters regarding a person's need of gainful employment. See, I'm in the defense and acquisitions business, if you get my meaning, and was just looking to maybe set up a few business contacts. Are you, or do you know of, anyone looking for a person with talent and drive?"

Liam was taken back with the fellow's straight-forwardness and a seeming lack of social graces at this type of function. He looked the pale man up and down and slipped him a business card with a wink.

Engaging in half a conversation with the fellow while he sipped on his champagne looking around the room avoiding eye contact with the man.

"What's your name?"

The man replied.

"Interesting, tell me more about you. I like to get a nice feel for my employees before sending them out blindly into the field." as he grabbed another glass of champagne off a tray from a waitress passing by.

"Can't get enough of the stuff.." he said with a smirk.

Liam was taken back with the fellow's straight-forwardness and a seeming lack of social graces at this type of function. He looked the pale man up and down and slipped him a business card with a wink.

Engaging in half a conversation with the fellow while he sipped on his champagne looking around the room avoiding eye contact with the man.

"What's your name?"

The man replied.

"Interesting, tell me more about you. I like to get a nice feel for my employees before sending them out blindly into the field." as he grabbed another glass of champagne off a tray from a waitress passing by.

"What's your name?"

The man replied.

Kain palms and pockets the business card and grabs a glass of champagne for himself and tries to look equally disengaging while he speaks, "Let's just say I have a talent for fulfilling whatever role need be filled. Need a bodyguard? I can do that. Need a nest of zombies or vampires taken out? I can do that too, though I have to warn you, if it's anything more, well, law obstructing, my price is a bit steep, considering the risk iinvolved, if I take the job at all."

Kain sighs and his eyes grow a bit dark, "If, however, you're asking about my background or my past employment experience, you'll have to go wanting there. That sort of information is damaging, to both of us, should it be leaked. Suffice it to say I make the French Foreign Legion look like amatuers."

Kain's smile brightens a little, but it doesn't reach his eyes as he says cherrilly, "But hey, that's what provider/consumer confidentiality is all about right?"