Brainiac Brunch 2010 [IC]

Dragonfly shook her head, but didn't comment. death rays are overrated - discourage Jessica later? - maybe - think about it - should get back on patrol and tracking later today - too many projects unfound

"May be best, to change topic. Laboratory will require additional planning...outside the scope of the 'brunch'. Best saved for later...possibly remote correspondence. More efficient."

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He paused at the newcomer's arrival, and waved him in, "ah, hello, Herr Vespin! Alvays good to see another face! Please, grab someding to eat," he nodded towards the brunch items still offered at the tables in the back, "before taking a seat. Your arrival meshes well mit de next subject I vished to bring up..." He paused and looked over the other Brainiacs, "assuming, of course, you all vould like to change topics."

"Thank you, Doctor." Nick smiled, and nodded, walking over to the table, and getting himself a healthy serving of food, especially items that could be eaten with one hand. He took an open seat, the first he came across, without regard to who it was near, and sat down, setting his plate and mask down on the table. One ear remained open to the discussion, but the majority of his attention was on the metallic boot now in his lap, braced on his bare foot, as he popped open one of the back panels, examining and tinkering with the insides, occasionally stopping long enough to grab a bite of something. "Ndd dn nn'z m-wrrt, zrrh," Nick stopped speaking, one finger held up in the air as he chewed and swallowed, "Sorry about that." He started again. "Not that it's really my place to say, but a change of subject sounds like a good idea. Then again, that might just be me not wanting to make an ass out of myself." A little late for that.

I like the way that Jessica thinks!

I am not surprised. As long as that is all you like about her...

"Very vell, a change in topic!," Archeville exclaimed, slapping the table with enthusiasm. "We haff discussed veapons, ve haff discussed defenses. Now let us turn to medical technologies, such as dose used in de aftermath of a metahuman brawl, both on the direct combatants und any bystanders injured along de vay. Frau Americana, Herr Vespin, you both are experts in prostheses und mobility restoration devices -- do you haff anyding you vould care to share? Dings which might could be, in time, made available to de public? Does anyvon else haff any other medical-related technologies sey are vorking on?"

Cyborg bodies for all!

With mind controlling overrides?

Of course!

Of course...

Jessica blinked at Dr. Volk's sudden offer. It came out of the blue, but professional courtesy required her to consider the offer. After a moment, she shook her head. "I have to focus on my schoolwork for now," she said, "and I have a job waiting for me at Dawes Tech after that. But if you want to contract through Dawes Tech, I'm sure they'll let you specify that I have to work on the project -- after I graduate, that is."

Jessica focused on the topic at hand, and for a wonder she didn't have anything to contribute. She'd never given much thought to medical prostheses, ore even human-machine hybridization. However, if she could put some kind of skeleton into the armor, it might be able to replace a human limb. Of course there was the issue of power-to-weight and interfacing with a human nervous system. It proved to be a difficult problem; Jessica started working on the math in her head.

"Very vell, a change in topic!," Archeville exclaimed, slapping the table with enthusiasm. "We haff discussed veapons, ve haff discussed defenses. Now let us turn to medical technologies, such as dose used in de aftermath of a metahuman brawl, both on the direct combatants und any bystanders injured along de vay. Frau Americana, Herr Vespin, you both are experts in prostheses und mobility restoration devices -- do you haff anyding you vould care to share? Dings which might could be, in time, made available to de public? Does anyvon else haff any other medical-related technologies sey are vorking on?"

Happy for the change of topic (she was starting to feel like a stereotypical heartless Hollywood scientist), Estelle cleared her throat.

"Well, one of our teams at ASTRO has been working on a new spray-on medical foam for the treating of burn patients; as you may or may not know, traditional dressings can prove problematic for covering large areas of tissue damage, as the tissue integrates itself into the weave of the material as it heals, making safe and pain-free removal very difficult. This new foam is designed to act as a sort of artificial scab, forming a smooth unbroken crust over the afflicted area that will then fall away naturally, leaving the new dermis beneath healthy and intact. I've been consulting with the team on using the foam as a delivery system for various analgesics and antibiotics, encapsulated in microscopic droplets held in suspension."

She sighed in frustration as she began doodling aimlessly on her holopad

"The real challenge has been storage in the inert state, seeing as the suspended medications are currently breaking down rapidly, drastically reducing their effectiveness over time."

could help there - can't let my technology out of my hands - this is already out of my hands - used by criminals in several documented reports - but can't - won't - have to trust somebody - good cause - idea makes me nauseous - do it anyway - ignore risks

"Could..." Dragonfly swallowed, and tried again. "Not...much of a chemist. But could help you there. Maybe. Not as good as proper chemical solution but could repurpose a -" risk here - cover for it - technically not a lie? She hesitated, before continuing like the word killed her to say: "...villain-made technology. Spacial suspension of...mm. Stasis field. Basically. Units would be small, self-contained, and low-power...would work poorly on organic life, but well enough on solutions or inanimate objects. Let you move forward on your project until you get decay properly fixed."

please don't let me regret this

"Now let us turn to medical technologies, such as dose used in de aftermath of a metahuman brawl, both on the direct combatants und any bystanders injured along de vay. Frau Americana, Herr Vespin, you both are experts in prostheses und mobility restoration devices -- do you haff anyding you vould care to share? Dings which might could be, in time, made available to de public? Does anyvon else haff any other medical-related technologies sey are vorking on?"

"Thank you, Doctor, but I'm no expert, my fa-" Father. Even here, in this place of relative sanctuary, Nick hesitated to mention the man who'd made him who he was, a brilliant inventor, a dedicated parent... and a fugitive, wanted for at least a dozen murders. Not the sort of family you really bragged about to the press.

"...villain-made technology."

The words sunk deep into Nikolas in his moment of uncertainty, and any chance of mentioning the source of the technology was dashed. Instead, he retreated, back behind the mask, both metaphorical, and physical. "But the system is still in the experimental stages." Shockwasp corrected, removing one of his metal gauntlets as he spoke, "It is, as you can see, quite functional, allowing a complete range of motion to be returned to even the most damaged nervous systems," He held up his bare arm, twisting and flexing it, showing the maze of black wires beneath his skin, "But it is still, unfortunately a prototype, both untested, and prohibitively expensive to produce. We are, however, working diligently to make the system safer and more affordable." He pulled his gauntlet back on. And kept taking. "Personally, I'm hoping to have it ready for its first human volunteer testing this spring, and in hospitals across Freedom City by autumn."

• 2 weeks later...

Quentin held up his hand.

"There is perhaps a broad problem to consider here. Dissemination and escalation. Two problems, intertwined. "

He held up one finger "firstly, how do we go about producing all this high tech wizardry? and who do we distribute it too? AEGIS? SWAT? Police Forces? Home owners? Do they pay? Discounts? Are we selling the designs, or the finished products? are we making... a profit? where does economics fit into this? where does... ethics fit in?"

"Second" he raised a second digit, then realised the sign he was making, and quickly lowered his hand.

"Escalation. If we armour our forces, make them more durable, more resilient, more death defying. Then our enemies use harder hitting weapons. I know its an arms race. But its worth bearing in mind. "

Dragonfly tapped a finger on the table, thinking that one over. "Escalation....mm. Probably not as big a problem as it's made out to be," she started. "Offensively, police are already under-equipped for major threats; villains are better armed: 'super'-science, mutations...magic.....obviously, not trying to equip them to replace us. But equip them better. Even minor, normal threats....police forces are at a disadvantage using sub-lethal force. Handicap is optional for criminals. Less escalation, more leveling the field. Equalizing." She paused, adding as an afterthought, "Medical technology - current, specialized, topic - exempt from that concern, largely. Obvious reasons."

Back to tapping the finger now, frowning. "Ethics...mm. Individuals will likely decide that on their own. Some run companies, some public, some secret...private technology in private hands. Should be. Better that way. Group designs...would require organization to sell or manufacture as a group. Defeats the purpose of informal meetings. Assumed - would recommend - supplying designs. Give ideas and schematics to public agencies that can use them. Let them decide whether to edit, manufacture...best not given directly to private organizations. Can't speak for everyone, but the thought of a company owning rights to and making cut-throat profit of personal designs is -" familiar - nauseating - panic-inducing - nightmare-causing "...uncomfortable. It's not...how...I...."

She slowed down, realizing how much she was talking...how much she had been talking. To a group like this, no less! She shrank back into her chair a bit, pulling her hands off the table like it was uncomfortable to touch. "Just how...how I see it. Personal opinion...."

"Could..." Dragonfly swallowed, and tried again. "Not...much of a chemist. But could help you there. Maybe. Not as good as proper chemical solution but could repurpose a -" risk here - cover for it - technically not a lie? She hesitated, before continuing like the word killed her to say: "...villain-made technology. Spacial suspension of...mm. Stasis field. Basically. Units would be small, self-contained, and low-power...would work poorly on organic life, but well enough on solutions or inanimate objects. Let you move forward on your project until you get decay properly fixed."

Estelle's eyebrows went up a bit at the somewhat odd though clearly brilliant young woman's offer; she wasn’t entirely sure how to wrap her mind around such an application of technology, not even taking into consideration its source. Of course, it would be the height of rudeness not to at least consider the offer, especially as it had been clearly difficult for Dragonfly to suggest it, and who knows, it could really help.

"Thank you, Dragonfly, I'd be very interested in looking over those technologies, although of course any final approval of their use would be a decision made above my head."

"Escalation. If we armour our forces, make them more durable, more resilient, more death defying. Then our enemies use harder hitting weapons. I know its an arms race. But its worth bearing in mind."

She was somewhat dismayed when the rather owlish professor turned the subject backed to the use of force and its consequences, as she’d hoped they’d moved on from that, but it seemed there was still interest in the topic.

"Just how...how I see it. Personal opinion...."

Gossamer marveled at the workings of Dragonfly’s mind; here was a young woman, who like many researchers she’d known had several apparent social issues, and yet she had a keen ethical sense that infused her thought processes. She’d also struck a chord in Estelle, who had several patented formulae legally blocked from further development due to legal wrangling with her father’s company.

I must get to know her better.

“I’m sure all of us, at one time or another, have been caught in the wheels of a ethical dilemma regarding our work; it would be nice to work with like-minded souls for the common good, at the very least to allow us to focus more on our work, and less time looking over our shoulders at the man holding the purse strings.â€

Quentin nodded at Dragonfly' speech. She wasn't easy to follow, but she made her point.

"Exactly!" he commented, emphatically, actually slamming his palm down on the desk to emphasise his agreement.

"Science is for the good of humanity, and we have to keep it that way. Or, ultimately, science gets a bad name" he was getting fired up now.

"But consider this... sixty five years ago, Oppenheimer pushed forward the boundaries of science, to fight evil, and developed the atomic bomb. We now live under the threat of world wide extinction thanks to that weapon. And I am sure you all recall the words that sprung to his mind... I am become death, destroyer of worlds...."

He leant back, spent.

"What I ask is that we also scrutinise, with care, what we develop, and think about its far reaching consequences. If that is at all possible. I am sorry if this is turning into an ethics debate, but perhaps that is the foundation on which everything else is built?"

Jessica frowned at some of the notions being floated around. "But haven't we --" She snapped her mouth shut, but she'd already spoken up. "Okay, Oppenheimer helped develop the atom bomb, and it destroyed hundreds of thousands of lives. Maye he's responsible for that, maybe Einstein and relativity is, or FDR, or the bombardier on the Enola Gay, whatever. But out of that we got nuclear power plant,s on the best sources of alternative energy out there. It'll give us fusion, in time, and who knows what else? Antimatter reactors? Literally limitless energy? I don't mean to say that two hundred thousand dead civilians is an appropriate payment for that, but look where we've gotten!"

Jessica was perched on the edge of her chair, her hands moving through the air as she tried to speak as fast as she was thinking. "Okay, the Industrial Revolution painted St. Paul's Cathedral black with coal smo0ke, and right folks are butting down the rainforest to make hamburgers for Americans, but that doesn't make technology a bad thing! We're sitting in a room that would've been frankly impossible fifty years ago, talking about concepts that wouldn't have been conceivable a hundred years ago! Technology, science, this is how humanity breaks down the world around it until we can understand it! We put stuff in beakers, pour acid over it or shock it with high voltage or bombard it with atoms in a cyclotron, and it gives up its secrets. Then the next generation builds on that and learns more, so the next generation can go even further!"

The young woman suddenly realized that her speech, impassioned though it may be, wasn't making a lot of sense. She forced herself to sit back until her spine was touching the back of the chair. "I'm sorry, but I didn't think we had all come together here to talk about limiting research."

Quentin was impressed with the ladies argument. She was right, of course.

"I agree" he nodded "you are absolutely right, of course. Please accept my apologies - I - don't want to limit research at all. "

He sighed "the point you make is right, that we must learn from the past. And I hope we can remember those lessons as we forge on ahead. That is all. Forge on ahead we must, fearlessly and furiously, but I hope not blindly. "

He sat back. Thanks to Jessica, he had now encapsulated what he had meant to say much more neatly.