Suggestions on hero - Theorem

Carces

I'm working on writing up this guy's history. Any suggestions? Or mathematical flaws you can see?

Thanks for your input!

Theorem

Power Level: 7 (105/105PP)

Trade-Offs: None

Unspent PP: 0

Gold Status: 0/30

In Brief: A rhyming mystic and scientist from a world where Magic takes the place of science.

Alternate Identities: Kyle Quinn

Identity: Public

Birthplace: Somewhere in the Golden Vale of Ireland, Earth-Cu-f(EE)LD

Affiliations: None

Family: Travelling band left back on the alternate Earth.

Ethnicity: Irish

Height: 5'8"

Weight: 157lb

Eyes: Green

Hair: Red

Description: Adorned in a mysterious white labcoat, etched with ancient markings of the mathematical formulas of power, Theorem appears as a mysterious figure indeed... in his own dimension. Here, the round, thick glasses, the brown vest and striped tie, the unremarkable dress shoes make Theorem look more like a slightly eccentric scientist more than anything else. The thin man's appearance is typically kept quite neat and professional, whenever its possible. His hair is fairly short and neatly parted and he is always clean shaven.

Vocally, Theorem is rather unusual as he always speaks in rhyme. The meter of his wording is subject to change, but he will almost certainly speak in a series of rhyming couplets.

Power Descriptions: One could describe Theorem as a "Technomancer", although that would only cover half of the entire picture. Theorem's devices are a mixture of scientific technology and magical theory working symbiotically to produce amazing and unusual results. This is done mainly through intuition, as the world of super-science is still relatively new to Theorem, and his successes do at least have some element of luck attributed to their creation.

The Ohm Wand was one of Theorem's first successful creations, as the power of a lightning bolt is useful both in magic and in science from a practical standpoint. While its original purpose was not offensive in nature, its variable settings allow the wand to be used as both a bolt projectile and as a close encounters taser-like weapon while not causing any serious, permanent damage to the target. After discovering its capabilities as a non-lethal instrument of self-defense, Theorem now carries the Ohm wand on his person whenever possible.

The Health Belt is another particularly successful creation of Theorem that was not necessarily originally intended for combat. While a generally healthy person, Theorem was concerned that his tireless work in medicine, combined with his need to master the sciences would have a very negative effect on his health. The Health Belt reduces that risk by elevating elevating his health levels to a practically super-human standard, allowing him to stave off fatigue, injury, and illness far better than he normally would be able to. As an added perk, the belt also increases his reflexes, which has proven exceptionally useful in combat situations.

Theorem's magical powers, referred to as "The Healer's Path" on his original world, is the magical ability of restoration and health and covers a large number of common ailments that are suffered in a predominantly magical world, save for bodily exorcisms of ghosts and spirits. The method of healing requires a keen eye, steady hands, and a great deal of concentration, much like surgery on normal earth. As such, Theorem must hold still while performing his magic. The magic described here comes from an "inner talent", much like Theorem's knack for science, and is not dependent on another being for the power.

Personality & Motivation: Kyle Quinn has always been a kind, compassionate man, putting others before himself. He has turned down positions that offer a large amount of wealth and respect in order to continue bringing health and happiness to the poor and rich alike. He sees being a superhero as a form of preventative medicine, stopping the production of innocent victims before it starts.

Kyle enjoys meeting and drinking with friends: a pastime he has not enjoyed for a long time. Since adopting the path of science, Theorem's shroud of mystery and off-putting rhyming has reduced both the time available and opportunities.

Theorem is a traveler at heart. While staying in Freedom City, he calls no single building or even single district his home. He often, occasionally unwisely, accepts the hospitality of strangers when offered, or books himself into a hotel, if he can find one that's willing to take a last-minute booking and isn't thrown off by Theorem's rhyming speech. When all else fails, Kyle Quinn is no stranger to sleeping under the night sky.

Theorem has an irrational fear of confined, inescapable spaces, including particularly cramped crowds. While there is no single incident that caused this phobia to emerge, he did encounter a particularly deranged necromancer during his studies into the art of healing who buried him alive. Since then, the phobia has intensified and dreads being buried alive again.

Powers & Tactics: Theorem's first concern is for the well-being of any victims and whatever allies he happens to have at the time. Assuming its possible and there's a good chance he won't be interrupted, he will use his power to heal those injured in fights, treating dying patients before bruised ones.

In combat, Theorem tends to find cover and attack at range with his Ohm Wand, resorting to the melee, stun version of the wand if he finds himself in melee with an enemy, or against an enemy with an imperviousness he can't beat. When all else fails, Theorem will use his Artificer expertise to get out of a sticky situation. Due to his relatively small amount of firepower and lack of mobility, Theorem prefers not to work as a solo hero and is not afraid to ask for help when help is available. He is also willing to retreat when matched against overwhelming odds, assuming no lives are riding on the outcome of a battle.

Complications:

Honour: No matter where he roams, Theorem is a doctor. He has sworn an oath of healing, similar in many respects to the Hippocratic Oath. This includes, on top of usual heroic duties, not betraying the trust of his patients, criminal or civilian, so long as keeping that trust does not endanger others.

No Set Home: Kyle's habits of changing his address on a regular basis means it can be hard to get in contact with him.

Obsession (Rhyming): As everyone knows, anyone who practices the mysterious art of Science must pay "The Price." After declaring himself a scientist on his home earth, Theorem has spoken in rhyme ever since. It is theorized that both Theorem's magic on normal earth and his science on his home earth benefit from people's belief in Theorem's mysterious power, which is reinforced through Theorem's odd speech patterns. Regardless of the reason, Theorem only speaks in rhyme, making disguises particularly difficult to pull off.

Abilities: -2 + 2 + 4 + 14 + 8 + 0 = 26pp

Str 8 (-1)

Dex 12 (+1)

Con 14/24 (+2/+7)

Int 24 (+7)

Wis 18 (+4)

Cha 10 (+0)

Combat: 14 + 8 = 22pp

Initiative: +1

Attack: +7

Grapple: +6

Defense: +7 (+4 Base, +3 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -3

Saving Throws: 0 + 0 + 5 = 5pp

Toughness: +2/+7 (+2/+7 Con)

Fortitude: +2/+7 (+2/+7 Con, +0)

Reflex: +1/+8 (+1 Dex, +0/+7)

Will: +9 (+4 Wis, +5)

Skills: 60r = 15pp

Concentration 12 (+16)

Craft (Electronics) 12 (+19)

Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 12 (+19)

Knowledge (Biological Sciences) 2 (+9)

Knowledge (Earth Sciences) 1 (+8)

Knowledge (Physical Sciences) 1 (+8)

Knowledge (Technology) 1 (+8)

Languages 3 (English, French, German, Gaelic[Native])

Medicine 8 (+12)

Notice 4 (+8)

Sense Motive 4 (+8)

Feats: 3PP

Eidetic Memory

Artificer

Precise Shot

Powers: 1 + 11 + 16 + 9 = 37PP

Super Senses 1 (Mystical Awareness) [1pp]

The Healer's Path 10 (20pp magic array; Flaws: Distracting; Power Feats: Alternate Power 2; Drawbacks: Power Loss[Must be able to speak and gesture] -1) [11pp]

• Base Power: Healing 9 ("Restore the Body"; Extras: Total; Flaws: Limited to Others; Power Feats: Persistent, Regrowth) [20pp]

Alternate Effect: Boost 10 ("Restore the Soul"; Ability Scores; Flaws: Restorative) [20pp]

Alternate Effect: Nullify (Transformation) 7 ("Restore the Form"; Extras: Affects Objects) [14pp]

Belt of Health (Hard to Lose Device 4) [16pp]

Enhanced Constitution 10[10dp]

Enhanced Reflex Save 7 [7dp]

Enhanced Feat: Dodge focus 3 [3dp]

Ohm Wand (Easy to Lose Device 3) [9pp]

Electric Charge 7 (14pp array; Power Feats: Alternate Power) [15dp]

• Base Power: Blast 7 (Electrical) [14pp]
    Alternate Power: Stun 7 [14pp]

Drawbacks: 3pp = 3pp

Weakness (Claustrophobia; Frequency: Common; Intensity: Moderate(-1 to all checks, attacks, and defense per 20 minutes of exposure to a confining area.) [3pp]

DC Block:

ATTACK      RANGE     SAVE                        EFFECT

Unarmed     Touch     DC14 Toughness (Staged)     Damage

Blast       Range     DC22 Toughness (Staged)     Damage

Stun        Touch     DC17 Fortitude (Staged)     Dazed/Stunned/Unconscious

Abilities (26) + Combat (22) + Saving Throws (5) + Skills (15) + Feats (3) + Powers (37) - Drawbacks (3) = 105pp

Looks a great character. Grand backstory, to be sure, so it is.

I'm not a ref, but two things stand out on first glance. Firstly, the nullify transform, limited to subject of effects seems odd: as nullify could only ever nullify those anyway (unless you are countering I suppose). Secondly, claustrophobia to me is better played as a complication (rule books suggest this), 3pp for a relatively minor penalty after 20 mins seems rather generous.

As for suggestions, given 1 rank in those technology feats, I would perhaps consider Eidictic memory or Jack of all trades as an alternative (the feats).

I am presuming you are asking for Craft (Electronic) to be used for the artificer feat rather than Craft (Art) or (Structural) - which seems fine to me - wondered if a few ranks in computer may be indicated but that depends on background fluff.

Completely poking my nose in, wonder if you might consider awareness (mystic)?

I'm not sure exactly how is powers work, but healing powers: drawback, powerloss if cant speak (or rhyme maybe?

Finally, the only possible issue with the character you might have - I guess, is lack of mobility, although the artificer feat would work in a push if you could prepare.

Seconding the notes on Claustrophobia, Eidetic Memory.

A good Complication might be something like No Set Home: Kyle's habits of changing his address on a weekly or daily basis means it can be hard to get ahold of him.

If his powers require him to stand still, consider making them take a Full Round action as a Flaw.

There isn't an "Irish" language, per say. Do you mean Gaelic?

I take it the wand is something like a magical stun gun? Disable a patient if they get out of hand? Otherwise, why would a doctor have a weapon at all?

Why does he have Craft/Electronics if technology never advanced on his world? Artistic or maybe Chemical (to represent alchemical training) would seem better thematically.

As a medical doctor, he might want some Diplomacy (or maybe Intimidate if he's Dr. House) to represent a bed-side manner.

W/ a 26 INT, he's slightly smarter than the smartest normal human, ever. Might want to reconsider that. Remember, core book states that the max for an unaugmented human is 24/25.

To shave some points off, you could drop his Att by 2 and put Accurate on the wand's Blast and Stun, using up all the points in the Device and giving you 2 more PP to work with.

Thanks for the comments, guys! They really help.

Let me just go down the list here.

Firstly, the nullify transform, limited to subject of effects seems odd: as nullify could only ever nullify those anyway (unless you are countering I suppose)

Yeah, I just didn't want the ability to counter another person's casting, since it was a restorative spell. I was trying to express it as having no offensive capabilities. I'll see if I can change it up to better reflect things, since it really doesn't need any extras or flaws to be functional.

Claustrophobia

For the Claustrophobia, the actual effect was taken out of the main book under "weakness" from the moderate section and the base time is set to 20 minutes, which I just didn't change. The three points just assume that the trigger is relatively common. If there's already a suggested format for phobias, though, I'd much prefer to use that then the bizarre version I made above that would make him completely useless during an underground adventure.

As for suggestions, given 1 rank in those technology feats, I would perhaps consider Eidictic memory or Jack of all trades as an alternative (the feats).

Looks like I'll have to squeeze some points, then, if phobias are complications. I'll have a look at that, thanks!

wondered if a few ranks in computer may be indicated but that depends on background fluff.

You're right about the Craft: Electronics. That's what I was goin' for. I'm hoping to give Theorem computer use later, as he gets more involved in normal Freedom City. However, where he's from, there are no computers, so I kept away from that skill.

I'm not sure exactly how is powers work, but healing powers: drawback, powerloss if cant speak (or rhyme maybe?

One step ahead of you! It's a 1 point drawback rolled into the base of the Healer's Path array. The formatting splits the drawback a little, but it's there!

lack of mobility

That's a big struggle I'm having, actually. I have yet to figure out an appropriate travel method for the character, now or later - especially since the concept is turning out to be a fairly costly endeavor, in how I first built him. It can't be too science-y or magical, and it's still gotta be pretty awesome.

A good Complication might be something like No Set Home: Kyle's habits of changing his address on a weekly or daily basis means it can be hard to get ahold of him.

Perfect! Thanks. I'll add that.

If his powers require him to stand still, consider making them take a Full Round action as a Flaw.

The base power, healing, already is a full round action, so I couldn't really add that to the full array. I figured the "Distracting" flaw I added was a suitable replacement, as I had, in my head, the picture of Theorem being stuck there, using his power on the subject until the process was finished. That way, it will apply to all of his healing powers, regardless of what he learns in the future.

There isn't an "Irish" language, per say. Do you mean Gaelic?

You got me there. I noticed that there was an entry on the "Irish Language" on wikipedia and went from there. :P

I know very little about Ireland, and I think the character will be a fun learning experience. I'm sure I'll make other, equally embarrassing mistakes before I'm done.

I take it the wand is something like a magical stun gun? Disable a patient if they get out of hand? Otherwise, why would a doctor have a weapon at all?

Why does he have Craft/Electronics if technology never advanced on his world? Artistic or maybe Chemical (to represent alchemical training) would seem better thematically.

Oddly enough, both of these answers are related. The wand was first meant to be a mystical and technological battery for powering things made by Craft: Electronics. It simply happened to convert well into a weapon when Theorem took up fightin' crime. Much like magic in the Freedom City world, science and technology is a rare art that is practiced by few, but is not completely gone. His master on the previous world knew of the discipline of electricity, and was capable of following ancient blue prints left by the technologically savvy Serpent People and people of Atlantis many years ago, before battling each other in a technological duel for the world. As such, Theorem knows the discipline of following technological blueprints, which he then expands upon with his own, arcane might.

Thematically, the devices are essentially a fusion of Jules Verne science fiction design and arcane magics. As the mystical traveller archetype, the image demands either craft (electronics) or craft (steam works), and the former seemed like a good idea.

As a medical doctor, he might want some Diplomacy (or maybe Intimidate if he's Dr. House) to represent a bed-side manner.

Yeah. I just ran out of points at that point.

W/ a 26 INT, he's slightly smarter than the smartest normal human, ever. Might want to reconsider that. Remember, core book states that the max for an unaugmented human is 24/25.

To shave some points off, you could drop his Att by 2 and put Accurate on the wand's Blast and Stun, using up all the points in the Device and giving you 2 more PP to work with.

You're right. I'll drop the intelligence a bit.

I'm pretty sure I used all my points on the Ohm Wand device, didn't I? I wanted to give it an accuracy ability, but it'd really only be a net gain of 1pp after the extra device rank purchase and there'd be points in the device leftover.

Thanks again for the input! I'll edit the sheet tomorrow. Need some sleep now.