Hail Mary (IC)

Angel

It had been a long time since Angel had stepped in a church. She was raised catholic, but over the years she slowly stopped attending. Just a few minutes ago it hit her like a ton of bricks. If God didn't know how to help her, then who did? It was time to go to confessional. And now she was here. But where was it? There was about a half a dozen people in there. Hm, that guy looks approachable, she thought. She walked up to him with a smile and whispered, "Hi I was wondering where the confessionals were being held."

Gabriel had actually just entered the church himself, intent on spending a short time in prayer before heading out for patrol for the night. He turned as the young lady who had entered behind him spoke. He gave her a friendly smile and extended his hand.

"First, welcome. Name's Carson. As for the confessionals, do you see those booths over in the corner there? Three sets of them?"

He pointed to one side o the church, close to the front, but still out of the way.

"Just go over there. If someone's not in the parishioner booth, the door will be open. Just step in, announce yourself, and the priest can help you from there. If you're not sure what to do, ask, and he'll be happy to guide you."

"Nice to meet you Carson, I'm Angel," Angel said lightly taking his hand of greeting. Wow, this guy sounded really nice. His whole demeanor was almost... melodious? She didn't know if a demeanor could have a sound. She smiled and nodded hanging on every word the nice man said. She was afraid if she interrupted him a needle scratch would sound off. "Thank you very much," she said humbly, "I used to be more adamant about this, but in my later years I have lapsed." She hung her head and sighed lightly as she remembered the past transgressions she was here to admit, "A lot." She she looked back to Carson with a weak smile, "Thanks again, Carson."

Angel made her way to the confession booth. It felt like forever. The confessional itself was gothic and imposing, like it would swallow her when she walked in it. Though it wasn't fear holding her soul, it was doubt. She had come too far now to turn back. Her sins weighed heavier on her than the way this confessional's look. She walked in and knelt down. It was like riding a bike, you never really forgot how to do it. "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti," she whispered as she crossed herself. She spoke up a little bit, "Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. It has been a few years since my last Confession." She paused for a second, "Father, I must ask -- I've never had to confess something this ... big before -- Is there something of a villainous confession?"

"All sins are equal in the eyes of the Lord," the priest behind the metal gate said calmly, "You may be a powerful being or a normal person, but He will hear it all."

Angel nodded, "I have something very very heavy on my soul. A few months ago I went on a drunken rampage in The Fens. I shot at buildings and scared a whole lot of people. I even shot a hero out of the sky. Luckily I was stopped. I went to rehab. But the whole act is still there. It haunts me."

"Was there a reason for this?"

"It was because of love spurned, Father," she said with a sorrowful sigh, "I was angered." A few seconds more of silence and she spoke up, "For these and all the sins of my past life, I ask pardon of God, penance, and absolution from you, Father."

"Mhm," the priest acknowledging her, "Ten Our Fathers and and ten Hail Marys. Also, I know you wont be able to find everyone you hurt, but at least find the one you harmed grievously if not the ones who stopped you."

"Thank you father," she said before reciting the act of contrition. "Deus meus, ex toto corde paenitet me omnium meorum peccatorum, eaque detestor, quia peccando, non solum poenas a te iuste statutas promeritus sum, sed praesertim quia offendi te, summum bonum, ac dignum qi super omnia diligaris. Ideo firmiter propono, adiuvante gratia tua, de cetero me non peccatorum peccandique occasiones proximas fugiturum. Amen."

The priest followed her with a prayer of absolution, "Dominus noster Jesus Christus te absolvat; et ego auctoritate ipsius te absolvo ab omni vinculo excommunicationis (suspensionis) et interdicti in quantum possum et tu indiges. Deinde, ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen. Passio Domini nostri Jesu Christi, merita Beatae Mariae Virginis et omnium sanctorum, quidquid boni feceris vel mali sustinueris sint tibi in remissionem peccatorum, augmentum gratiae et praemium vitae aeternae. Amen. Stopping for a second, "Do not forget these words. You may go in peace."

She crossed herself again, "Thank you Father." She left the confessional and prayed her Penance. It didn't look like Carson was around. It shouldn't hsve mattered. She frowned and left. She had to go make plans to find people she didn't even know.