Mysteries Infinite: Under a Crimson Glow [OOC]

Carces

Is it too late to get in on this? Or can Dyne pull a BDH here?

Sorry, Tyrar. If Grim wants in, that's 4 heroes, which will make this particular thread full. If he changes his mind, though, you're welcome to come in.

You'll need your character approved first, in the meantime.

Cannonade: Yes, but it will take a skill check, even with the leaping power. From where you are, it's a difficult target to accurately aim your jump for - particularly while hampered by holding on to a bunch of bad guys. When you jump, make a DC 18 strength check (in lieu of acrobatics). Note that bad things happen if you miss the DC by 5 or more. As usual, you can extra effort the check if you so desire.

Momentum: Yes, using the fire extinguisher requires an attack roll. Consider it an autofire weapon, which you can spread to hit a multitude of flames, or concentrate on the big guy. The higher you exceed his defense, the more the extinguisher does.

Also, make a DC 26 toughness save on a lethal attack. Looks like you managed to get the elemental's attention!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Fire elemental is not insubstantial.

For the most part, I'll make it obvious if he does go insubstantial. He certainly will not be going insubstantial on the same round that he attacked someone.

I know we've been playing around with the turn order a little bit. It's not too big of a deal. Supercape has a turn before the fire elemental goes, as Momentum was stunned as per a conversation had in Chat.

Current turn order:

• Supercape
    Fire Elemental
    Momentum
    Cannonade

I think Supercape is up next?

In which case, lets abandon the sloshing funnel (it unforms) and rejig array into a molecular dissembling drain!

Perception attack so auto hit.

Its a DC20 Drain Toughness Attack, Total Fade (so hopefully will last a few rounds!)

For reference, what is the floor made of? Because I may just use that very attack to drop him a floor!

It's a typical office-type building. There is a metal frame holding everything up, but the fifth and sixth floor have taken an awful lot of damage, so those will most likely collapse.

If you're going for the floor, though, he'll likely only plummet a floor's length. It'll keep Momentum safe, since he'd be out of reach, but it won't cause any significant damage as an attack. He'll still be capable of attacking either you or Dyne, as you are both currently positioned outside and he can still target people through the hole in the building.

I took a look at your power, Supercape. From what I can tell, only one application of improved range makes drain a ranged attack (It's normally a touch attack) and you would still need to make an attack roll. It won't change much in this instance, though, as the elemental's roll of 33 would overcome a critical hit.

This guy is rolling really well. :/ Keep at it, guys! His luck can only last so long!

Edit: Or not. He beats your defense, Dyne, so you'll need to make a DC 26 toughness save.

Your stun has worn off, Momentum!

I took a look at your power, Supercape. From what I can tell, only one application of improved range makes drain a ranged attack (It's normally a touch attack) and you would still need to make an attack roll.

That one slipped past me and two refs! will have to edit it out next month. In which case it should be Range x2, and drop the Total Fade.

However, to stop confusion, I won't use it again.

How many floors up is the action by the way?

Toughness Save:

Well, that was a nice try with the furniture, but I just beat the DC. Though, I wish there was a way I could burn a hero point or something to do a little "return to sender" with my TK, if you know what I mean :P

You can. It's called "Instant counter" and it's allowed in the rules. Take a look at it in the Hero Point section of the main book

However, it would waste your perfectly good toughness roll, so I wouldn't waste your roll.

Round Breakdown:

Free Action: Re-Activate Force Field

Standard Action: Extra-Effort All-Out Power Attack Kinetic Control Blast 9 @ Flaming Elemental from Behind - Whiff. Also, I fail at notation as I forgot to denote Extra Effort to up Kinetic Control from 7 to 9, but meh.

- Spending last Hero Point on Improve Roll for the Extra Effort All-Out Power Attack Kinetic Control Blast 9, which also probably Whiffs unless the elemental loses his defense bonus from being attacked from the rear since I can't seem to roll anything higher than an eight for Momentum.

Move Action: Using Momentum's Speed (at Rank 10; 10,000 MPH/100,000' per Round) to get out of the fray and fine some cover from Mr. Combustiblepants.

EDIT: Was in a hurry before leaving work. Sorry for the terrible lack of information. Toughness DC (if it hits) is 27 (15 + 9 from Extra Effort Kinetic Control Blast + Power Attack 3), and Momentum's Defense drops to 4 (6 Base - 2 All-Out Attack)

I apologize for the slowness of my response here. I've fallen ill.

I'll allow for the sneak attack, Momentum, since you used a hero point while behind him. Cannonade's doing a good job being larger than life at the moment, which should help. Usually, though, you require a stealth check.

The elemental is still rolling too well, though.

If the dice are just giving you too many problems, don't forget about your exceptional Teamwork 3 feats. It only requires you to hit a defense of 10, and a +5 to hit or a +5 defense bonus against this guy can be a godsend. Since you'll be fatigued, dropping your attack a little more, it's a viable tactic

Edit: Cannonade: Your direct attack missed, but it should be just good enough to include the monster in an Area attack. I believe the DC for the reflex save is 17 (10 + your strength modifier). A chunk of the building should also be good enough to give you an extra 2 damage (DC 24 toughness), dropping to DC 20 if he makes his save. I don't have the book in front of me, though, so I'm going by memory.

However, if what I recall is correct, we have first blood! The fire elemental is immune to being stunned, however, so exact numbers aren't a big deal. Congratulations, Cannonade!

Your improvised weapon is smashed to bits, though.

Assuming Momentum is still top banana in the Initiative Order (and that this is a new round), he'll Delay his action until it's Cannonade's turn again. I shall wholeheartedly accept your suggestion to spam Teamwork now in hopes of putting this combat to rest; and laugh myself into a coma as Momentum begins rolling Natural 20's on a check that only requires him to roll a six or higher :P

So... preemptive stuff...

Round Breakdown:

Free Action: Delay until Cannonade's Initiative.

Move Action: Using Momentum's Speed (at Rank 10; 10,000 MPH/100,000' per Round) to suicidally get back into Melee Range with the flame-critter.

Standard Action: Aid Action to lend Cannonade +5 to Attack (Aid + Teamwork 3) since Momentum has to act before him (and thus, can't know what to give him :|)

Will make a fluff post once the Elemental goes, since I think he goes right before Momentum since he Delayed.

Not a new round yet. Supercape and Dyne need to take an action this round. Then the fire elemental will go, and will likely attack Cannonade, assuming the two remaining heroes don't do anything to stop him.

As for turn initiative, let's change things up. I'm just going to post who has an action before the new turn starts. The monster will go last. First initiative = first person who posts an action. That way, no one's waiting on someone else, and you can post when you're not busy with other things. If you're not sure if you have a turn, just check for my last post in the OOC thread.

You're all encouraged to plan together, use combined attacks, do setups, or whatever else you're capable of as the situation best fits. Work the system and initiative to your advantage.

Turns left this round:

• Supercape
    Dyne
    Monster