Do you use Array for 'advancing' Alternate Forms?

Ari

Hello, recently joined up, first post here, thank you for causing all this to exist.

I was examining an idea I had for a guy with a magic shield that had three seals on it, made by( Fluff: it was commissioned by the mythical Greek underworld judge Radamanthus for the son of Ares named Deimos.) Hephaestus. The idea is that this hero can either use the shield itself as a bashing weapon, or can release one of the seals at a time to access an Alternate form as a blazing metal Greek shield-bearer, with an increase in power after each of the releases. Would this be legal? and if so, should I use a different Array for each Alternate Form?

Probably for the same reason Sailor Moon and Voltron don't start each battle with their most powerful attack ;) (In-game, it takes time to build up energy; out of game, it makes the drama last longer.)

Arrays of Alternate Forms have proven to be unwieldy at best, for both the player and the GM overseeing the adventure. And the Limited (only when X happens) flaw isn't granular enough for most applications of what you'd want.

So, each seal that is activated ("released," whatever) increases the power of the AltForm? Why wouldn't the character activate the most powerful version at once?

Well, the idea is that they activate them to deal with escalating threats. Like how in Starship Troopers the sergeant points out that "Would you house train a puppy by cutting its head off?".

Like that.

SO it's cumbersome to use different Arrays for each of the AltForms? Eh, thought so. Should I scrap the Alternate Form bit and just have a magical shield Device?

I am sorry for the unclear wording, I tend to write how I speak, and it comes out all wrong.

Yes, that would seem to be best tack, a Greek riff on the Grand Captain America. So do we do a sort of character pitch before making up the character sheet, or do we go straight to the creation of the character?